Anyone else over it already?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dillweed
  • 45 comments
  • 3,705 views

Dillweed

(Banned)
Messages
11
I was expecting a lot more out of this title, have finished beginner, amateur, professional series races all with golds and a few expert, never cared for the rally or endurance races in all the GT games.

I thought it would at least keep me entertained until Christmas but my interest is seriously waning, it's basically gt4 with a few added bells and whistles that I don't believe constitutes a 6 year dev cycle.

Oh well you get that I suppose, bring on Diablo 3 already!
 
Shut the 🤬 up and play online and get your butt kicked
 
Shut the 🤬 up and play online and get knocked off the track by people who can't drive

Corrected it for you 👍
 
Find the right people and they drive like gentelmen i do.
 
Are you kidding? I'm just getting started with the game!
 
I'd agree with you, but I've been playing online and having competition runs with my friends, so that's been extending the life of this game for me.
 
Just shy of 23. was doing advance gt rally earlier and the ps3 crashed because i sent a message to someone so i turned it of.

I'm at A-Spec lvl 14. I bought myself a 458 Italia.
 
I'm at A-Spec lvl 14. I bought myself a 458 Italia.

the 458 is awsome i have a fully tuned one and i only use it online. im a bit stuck on the game as i need to save lots of money for a race car and i keep spending it on expencive cars and tuning them.
 
the 458 is awsome i have a fully tuned one and i only use it online. im a bit stuck on the game as i need to save lots of money for a race car and i keep spending it on expencive cars and tuning them.

I'm using for Online & the A-Spec (and possibly B-Spec) events at pro and higher.
 
Yep, completely over it too. Massive GT fan when it came to all past titles. This one just isn't as engrossing, way too many problems with it, and GT mode just feels artificially limiting and just isn't all that enjoyable.

I'm level 22 and have stopped because its a boring grind, its like you're always persevering to get to some fun, rewarding, tight races, which never seem to come. Online is an absolute joke, extremely telling that it didn't ship on the disc. I mean, really PD? After 6 years the online mode doesn't ship on the disc? Absolute amateur hour.

There are a few elements PD are great at (physics modelling, premium car models), but overall GT5 feels incredibly undercooked, and it isn't time. I feel at this point it may simply be lack of vision and talent. Its clear PD took FOREVER to get to grips with the PS3, and GT5 still isn't one of the more polished looking titles on the system.

PD need to give their staff a massive holiday and hire a hell of a lot of new people (who actually know how to do: damage, AI, sound, net code, etc), you can't keep making GT titles forever and maintain the required amount of talent, energy and new ideas.
 
im a bit stuck on the game as i need to save lots of money for a race car and i keep spending it on expencive cars and tuning them.

That's exactly where I am. I check the used cars for the racer cars I need, and see something else I wanted. I started focusing on b-spec so I could win more cars. Mine is at level 15.
 
Corrected it for you 👍

Wow, I laughed pretty hard at that.

I know what you're saying since I've been racing online since the PS2 online days. That describes every online racing game I've played. But to be honest, online on GT5, has actually been one of the best games I've seen for that. Online of GT5, I'm probably only coming across one or 2 deebags in like ever 5 or 6 rooms. That's pretty amazing to me, especially considering the size of the rooms. I've been in games with much smaller rooms with a much higher ratio. Though this is probably completely due to their not being ranks and win ratios (.........wait........am I sure I want this in a patch again? lol)
 
The beauty of this game in both graphics and sound will have me coming back to play often. I just finished flying around Le Mans (Sarthe) in the 908 for a few laps and then watched the replay... wow! It looks so fantastic. I'm hooked! GT6 will be a long time in coming so I'm going to get the most out of this for the next several years.
 
Its been all I've played since release. Cant get enough of it.
 
The grind is getting me down and I'm only lvl 22. This game seriously needs to scale the competition. That would make the exp and money grinding more tolerable. If I could chose a different car for a race each time and get appropriate AI cars it would make things alot more interesting as I griiiiiiiiiiiiiiind my way to the next level. It would be cool to be able to chose a spitfire for the british lightweight races, or a GTI for the german races... And if I bring a big stick to a race the competition should bring it too.

I honestly don't see myself sticking with it to the Formula GT race.

It's a damn shame cause the physics is just amazing, and so are the premium cars. It really does feel unfinished. Like another bigger prologue.
 
I don't tire of games like this. The excellent physics and wide selection of cars on various tracks will keep me busy for a long while. I'll take periodic breaks w/ other games now and then but will continually find stuff to do in GT5 just like w/ past GT games. At 100 cars or so in my garage (alot of them untuned) I'm just getting started.
 
I dunno, I think I'll get back to the game if a major patch fixes some of the issues like the lack of offline events, online money/xp rewards, and inconsistent framerate/tearing galore. Issues that I think can be fixed with a patch (and hopefully will).

But right now, between the insane and constant loading times and the associated UI problems, the freaking awful rubber-band AI (how can a MR2-GTS follow a heavily tuned R34 on slicks, on Suzuka, really ?), and the buggy shadows that literally ruin the replays, I'm having a hard time enjoying the game.

But of course, all of this could be forgiven because the driving really IS awesome. To a point I could never hope for. Yes, it could be forgiven ... if there were a number of events where I could drive "little cars". Because right now everything above Expert events require at least super-car level machines. And most Extreme events require LMP-level cars.

I mean, having some events for the super-cars and race cars is all good. But isn't Gran Turismo a game about all kind of cars ? We love cars ?

This is really the big letdown for me right now. Because, yes, I can practice, go online with like-minded "low racers" friends, and so forth, but none of these events provides money. Money I do need if I want to drive and tune other cars. So well, I play these kind of events, which the only ones I find "fun" after what is between 50h and 100h of game-time (didn't find any time counter in-game), and then I go grind a few races in race cars ...

Let me race with Integras and earn a little money while doing it !

Edit : The game is great. I wouldn't have spent about 60h playing it if it wasn't. It just feels somewhat ... "lacking", in the long term. I mean, I must have spent between 100h to 150h on each previous GT (not counting Prologues), maybe even up to 200h. But I don't see myself hitting the 100h mark on this one. And it makes me sad.
 
Last edited:
i see this game as a really nice moist chocolate cake with really bad old dried out icing... just rip the top off and eat the dam thing
 
I think PD just got a bit too carried away with the RPG aspect in GT Mode.

Thing is, in a game like World of Warcraft, there's not a terrific amount of skill or dexterity required, specific to the actual gameplay itself - hence macro-ing. So having the ability to become Über through grinding, it's necessary for MMORPG developers to slow down the rate at which players can level.

But with GT, the true effectiveness of the player is not determined by their in-game level, or any particularly effective bit of kit they might have been fortunate enough to loot: it is determined by the player's skill at balancing all of the controls available to them - just like *REAL* driving, in fact...

OK, I get that there was an element of start-crash-restart grinding to get All-Golds in GT4... But that was only ever for the absolute completists with a lot of time on their hands. But to get up to about 85-90% complete, was no real chore at all - not a *GRINDING* chore at least. It was easy enough to get the cash you needed, with the speed-uppable B-Spec driving; and easy enough to buy and improve the cars needed to complete all the events.

But with GT5, it's like the worst kind of 10-year old MMORPG, where gaining the necessary credits/XP needed to advance, totally guts the enjoyment of the *ACTUAL DRIVING* (which is still as good as it ever was).

I'm an average-to-fairly-good driver. But most of that is down to innate ability rather than actual game-playing experience. I'm average-to-fairly-good in NFS & Forza too. I'm not noticing that I'm getting especially better, because of the hours I'm having to spend grinding my way through GT5.

Once I'm familiar with a circuit, once I've established my lines and my breaking points, my lap times and point finishes have much more to do with how tired or alert I am, how many interruptions I endure from the family, and whether or not I'm "In The Zone" that day. It has little or nothing to do with how much time I've spent grinding to advance through GT mode.

Fact is, many people are just going to use B-Spec and disproportionately powerful cars in A-Spec, to earn credits and XP - just like they did in GT4. All PD have done in GT5 is make the whole process far more dispiriting and take far longer than necessary.

Before I got hold of GT5, I was anticipating that PD would, if anything, de-emphasise the GT mode, because they'd rather have people hooking-up online, where the *REAL* tests of skill must take place. But instead, I found that they've turned the wholly enjoyable elements of previous GT's, into yet another merciless grinding operation.

I imagined that I’d chug my way through the off-line GT mode, before taking my skills on-line and finding my *TRUE* GT skill level amongst all the other human drivers out there.

Way I’m feeling now, with all the bugs and shortcomings in the Game, I can see my interest tailing off much sooner than I ever anticipated.

If this game had come out a year after GT4 – as a launch game for the PS3 for example – I would have been well pleased with it as a stepping stone in the GT canon. I’d have been happy to play it, in its current state, whilst I waited another couple of years for GT6.

As it is, Gran Turismo now feels to me like another excellent recreational/entertainment franchise that has been totally torpedoed by 🤬 accountants and money-men.

Peace
 
HBK
I mean, having some events for the super-cars and race cars is all good. But isn't Gran Turismo a game about all kind of cars ? We love cars ?

I agree with this entire post so much that I had to double-check that I hadn't posted it.

What really hit me first about the original game - the factor which led to me leaving the store with a Playstation and the game after trying it out - was that it featured real, everyday cars and made a compelling racing game out of them. Now we still have a fine selection of cars but nothing much to do with most of them.

For me, the core driving experience is good enough that I'll persevere with it - there are a lot of things that I want to do with the game for my own enjoyment. However it's frustrating that to be able to spend time doing those I'm compelled to spend a lot of time grinding aspects of the game that I'm not really interested in.
 
I agree, I've buy a ps3 jot for this game, and it doesn't worth the deal so far, and I don't expect much improvement, the game feel rushed to be honest as strange as it may seems after 5-6 years. I'll definately go back to my 'good old' PC games in a few weeks at best.
 
Now we still have a fine selection of cars but nothing much to do with most of them.
I think it could be pretty well solved if we had a "Custom Race" mode where the player select the track and the number of laps, and the game select appropriate opponents and automatically adjusts the rewards based on the race length. We could even have a "difficulty" setting that modifies the automatic selection of opponents. And "custom restrictions" like car country restrictions, drive train restrictions, etc.

And it would be awesome.

Imagine, "let's go race on a rainy Suzuka with German FR cars only !" :dopey:

Oh and btw, I completely agree on the first Gran Turismo :cheers:
 
I'm just playing the GT Mode to get a hang of the physics engine and as a pastime until the real fun begins when the online mode is updated for good racing and when the WRS starts.
 
Online is an utter joke

Explain why?

I play with friends and its most fun. From doing quick rules on what cars to choose, to free Practice modes that can take few hours. What else do we need?

GT Planet will be creating and already is creating good online events with rules and regulations for the hardcore racers.

Any other game online with STUPID MATCHMAKING sucks big time, those games are the games you get knocked off the track a lot.


If you want GT5 to have a fair play, play with friends or find servers the TCSs and ALL aids are OFF. Usually you will find the Hardcore GT fans there.
 
Fact is, many people are just going to use B-Spec and disproportionately powerful cars in A-Spec, to earn credits and XP - just like they did in GT4. All PD have done in GT5 is make the whole process far more dispiriting and take far longer than necessary.
QFT

Before I got hold of GT5, I was anticipating that PD would, if anything, de-emphasise the GT mode, because they'd rather have people hooking-up online, where the *REAL* tests of skill must take place. But instead, I found that they've turned the wholly enjoyable elements of previous GT's, into yet another merciless grinding operation.
I, too, was expecting a more streamlined "GT mode" which would be more about driving different cars on different tracks, and less about grinding cash, and now xp (boy if it wasn't the worst idea ever).

Let's just hope patches will make the GT mode a more compelling ride 👍
 
Not even remotely close to being "Over it"

The disc hasn't left my system since the release, and im seriously worried for my PS3's health... all these hours cant be good!
 
Back