Anyone ever pacenoted the Ring?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RallyCat909
  • 24 comments
  • 2,439 views
Messages
24
I suppose that I WILL if I cant find them online, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a link or site that already has the notes. :)
 
RallyCat909
I suppose that I WILL if I cant find them online, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a link or site that already has the notes. :)
I had to Google that one. :)
 
If you race it enough, you won't have to have pace/track notes! LOL!
Just kidding!


Found this URL though surfing the net' looking just for 'track notes' and/or Pace Notes....Click Here and once the page loads, scroll down to where you see Doing Your Homework and there's about 80 turns worth of 'notes' at your fingertips! :)
 
I'm halfway done with pacenotes. I'm using a standardized form that they use in FIA and WRC. staring with the turn number, (In my case the gear selection) direction, type, (like 3 right minus, or tightens, or over crest...) then finally the meters before the next turn. These are very common in WRC and if you've ever watched them you will understand where i'm coming from. I am interested in who would want them, or if it would be worth posting. I originally did this to help me conquer the ring, but if someone else might find them useful, let me know and i'll send it to them, or post it in the forums.
 
I would've had no idea what you were talking about, but I was just watching the WRC at Sweden and then at Mexico just a couple hours ago. That looks damn hard. I don't know how they can both drive and listen to the co-driver at the same time.
 
I'm watching the Mexico WRC right now, looks like Subaru is takin home yet another trophy... :rolleyes: big surprise there...
The Peugot Team better startin learnin how to drive the new 307 soon or i'm hunting them down and giving them a black eye for every turn they f'd up...can you have multiple black eyes on the same eyes? Any doctors in the house?!
 
dolande - that's great :) i'll have to study that sometime.
 
guys

the best way to learn the ring is just to drive it.. nothing beats practice

if u haven't noticed already the GT series flashes the recommended gear at you anyways.. use it to your advantage.
 
TsunamiSephi
I'm halfway done with pacenotes. I'm using a standardized form that they use in FIA and WRC. staring with the turn number, (In my case the gear selection) direction, type, (like 3 right minus, or tightens, or over crest...) then finally the meters before the next turn. These are very common in WRC and if you've ever watched them you will understand where i'm coming from. I am interested in who would want them, or if it would be worth posting. I originally did this to help me conquer the ring, but if someone else might find them useful, let me know and i'll send it to them, or post it in the forums.
Wow, you know how to do WRC pacenotes?! I've been looking all over the internet on how to do them. If you don't mind, could you write up a tutorial on how to make WRC pace notes, or IM me and tell me? Thanks.
 
djmr2
guys

the best way to learn the ring is just to drive it.. nothing beats practice

if u haven't noticed already the GT series flashes the recommended gear at you anyways.. use it to your advantage.


Well, maybe youre missing the point. Rally fans like that kind of stuff, what ever makes you faster. If you have memorized every turn, thats badass, but I havent, and I frequently run into other players that havent.

A buddy and I have bought a cheap car to go rallying in, and thought pacenotes on the Ring would be a good idea.
 
im also interested in how they make the wrc pacenotes/an explaination of them if ne1 knows
 
RallyCat909
and thought pacenotes on the Ring would be a good idea.

You got that right. I know the ring like the back of my hand, and that BMW guide which was posted help me get a MUCH better line on two tricky turns (they're late brake turns and I didn't realize that).
 
djmr2
if u haven't noticed already the GT series flashes the recommended gear at you anyways.. use it to your advantage.

Er...NO. The recommended gear is the "safest" possible gear, where you can't go wrong. If you follow it, you're giving up 10 seconds on the ring at least. If you are faster than average, it'll kill you to follow it.
 
The only thing i'm running into is making distance markers between turns. The pace notes read really rough now bcause I have to use "Long straight" between each turn. It's so vague, it's kinda hard to read. I'm workin on it though...
 
When I was working on S-16 I was close to trying to make notes a few times, but in the end no notes can be as good as simply learning the course. I certainly feel a lot better knowing the ring well enough to gold S-16 about half the time I try it now insead of making some cheat-sheet to tell me exactly what speed to take each corner (which is never as good as having a real feel for each corner and adjusting based on how you came out of the last one).

That said, it would definitely be useful to look through other people's notes to see what they have to say about a few of the turns. There's one turn in particular about half way through -- you're going downhill and enter the turn downhill, but the turn itself is a pretty big right-hander that ends uphill. It looks like it's called Bergwerk in this map:

http://www.toxo.de/ring/nordschleife/nurbcgi.html

I never felt like I was hitting that turn quite right. If I attacked from the inside, I would find myself slowing down too much in the middle, having to use some partial throttle, and not having very good speed through the turn. If I attacked it from the outside, I ended up having to brake earlier and still wasn't able to cut inside enough for a very good apex. I ended up coming at it from almost the center of the track most of the time and braking fairly late, but I always felt like this was a very important turn (good exit speed would gain time on the following high-speed section) that I haven't quite perfected.
 
From some GPL notes (older ring with more jumps :) ) Bits missing from 2005 track inside ** **.

** From the start finish line you approach turn 1 which is called Veristderbrakingpoint. A tricky left hander that leads into a loooong right turn called Howlongizdis Korner. This leads to another short straight with a lefthander with banking on the outside of the bend known as Parkingfurnewbie mit Elplatz. **

Then it's on through a short complex of slow bends called Die Tvistybitz. Then it's downhill to the first place at the ring where the car gets airborne. Icanseezeepubfromhier is a difficult jump but can be taken with some speed. Try to carry this pace through the next fast section down to the slow right hander called Brickenbridgenbangen. It's easy to understeer off here. Downhill again to the compression called Buttscrapen and round the tricky fast left hand kink called Votfoolplanttreedere.

After another slow 1st gear turn it's on through another flat fast section then into one of the most tight and difficult sections. This is where the track goes downhill with medium speed bends, banking on the right and hedges on the left. This section is called Soddingprivit Hedgenschtop. Continuing down hill you'll drive across two near identical bridges called the Blackundwhite Brickenbracken Bridgen.

Uphill again now for a tight right hander called Spinnen Spannen Lapper Wrecken then gather speed to the quick left kink called Updiebanker before the tight right that leads onto a fast section called Qvickundtvisty. A few straightforward turns then take you to the famous Karousel also known as Drivein Diegutter. The lap then moves on to a series of deceptive corners, the first of which is Drifterwiden. This leads to the Doppelganger bends, so called because the are almost identical to the stretch of track you reach about 20 seconds later on and cause of much confusion as you try to remember which bit is which. Both of these sections culminate in two very similar left turns with big drops just after the apex, known as the Ohschitzen turns. After the second of these the track slowly straightens out through a section of increasingly fast flicks called Nearschittenselfen.

Almost at the end of the lap now, you'll turn next onto the long long final straight called Havakuppoftea. The straight is interrupted by a jump called Overrevvinengine Spitzenpoppenbangentuben and a very fast left flick called Buttklenchen Wheelgrippen bend. This fast section culminates in a series of slow corners called Nokrashnow and then it's over the start finish line for another fun filled lap!
 
Pacenotes are a good idea for the 'Ring' i think.
I could do with them as i seem to be a good 60 seconds off the pace to be honest. But i'm learning! After each lap i do i gain another 5+ seconds.
It is a scary track! Especially in a wayward Porsche with NOS doing 230 mph along the final straight! I cant imagine being brave enough to do that in real life.

EoinRGT
 
This is apparently the best thread for me to put this in. But on the license where you have to go around the North Section of the ring (the 10 miled monster), does anyone else have a problem with the pace car? I get even with it now as I'm completely advanced at the first half of the track, and every time I'm level with the pace car it just runs me off the course. I ****ing hate the pace car on this trial run as it's so slow, and by the end I won't even get gold from having to let off because of it. Anyone else had this problem?
 
Back