Anyone racing the AI evenly?

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 56 comments
United States
United States
WrecklessAbandon
I'm curious, because I had long given up on using a comparable car to the AI.
I'm not sure how I ended up there, but I eventually raced a stock ZR-1 on sports softs vs. the AI in the seasonal supercar event. I lost. I LOST! :)

I couldn't catch them in an ACR, ZR1, F430 Scuderia, and it was fantastic.
I don't know if it's the improved AI, or that they aren't putting the fast cars in the back of the pack anymore. All I know is, the Zonda and R390 are hard to catch, if you don't give yourself suspension, drivetrain, etc.

I also tried a 674HP ZR1 at Tokyo, stock everything else, and finished third.

So if you want a good race, just use a stock car (In the same league) on the same tires as the AI, and you can actually get a decent race now. 👍
And I've also had some good races in the Honda Civic challenge. :)

I'm mostly saying this (without disrespect to slower guys) to faster drivers, knowing I'm not the fastest, but fast enough that I never used to lose to the AI without seriously handicapping myself.

I always try to use an appropriate none tuned car for the events and the same tyres as the AI. It is excellent fun having to perfect your performance to get the best result you can. 👍

I think that's the way it should be played, offline at least.. No sense in having 11 - 15 opponents if you "smoke" them on the first corner of a 5 lap race. Driving and racing in the pack during the whole race..unbeatable.

Grinding is another story though..

Well yes, but I mean using comparable cars as opposed to using a car with much less power to make an even race.
An example would be when I raced the "dream car championship" multiple times, using for example, a RM Z06 with 550HP just to have to try and beat all the cars that should beat the pants off me.
Whereas now, if they're using a supercar, I can just pick any of my beloved supercars and have myself a good race, this was not an option for me in any GT game since GT1.

fyi I don't grind, I hate it. Not quite level 36 yet either. ;)

Yep, this is certainly the way I approach playing this game.

I use no aids, unless I have to put a bit of TC on for the crazy RWD cars, and ABS 1 (DS3 user). I try to match the PP or HP of the typical opponents, use the tyres they are on etc.

Im finding the current seasonals great fun with this kind of approach. Im entering stock cars and having a really tough time of it. And it's great! I don't get frustrated because I know that if I really really need the gold, I just mod the car. But the precision you need to learn to win with stock entry is immense. And it's so much more satisfying.

If im honest, I rarely mod cars cause im lazy. If there was an 'apply all mods' button I might use it more!

Have any of you TRIED the new Civic Seasonal Event? It's a toughy.

Besides the OP, of course.

I think PD answered everybody who was complaining about difficulty.

I've always raced fairly with the AI. As mentioned above, using a mega powerful car to blast everyone away just leaves you lapping on your own, may as well be doing a free run.

I think most people are worried about losing a race, as if every race should be won out and out. I've lost lots of times, sometimes I set my self up to lose.

Every tried taking a Super GT car stock to LeMans in arcade mode at the expert level? I doubt you'll win, you may come close, but you'll sure have a good race.

^^^^ 👍

Every tried taking a Super GT car stock to LeMans in arcade mode at the expert level? I doubt you'll win, you may come close, but you'll sure have a good race.
Arcade mode in Expert is the best way to challenge yourself.

I usually pick a stock car with the same tyres and try to beat the AI on the actual track.

Well it's good to see I'm not the only one that noticed guys. 👍
And it's good to see PD has actually made improvements to the AI, especially in terms of speed. :)

CSLACR
I'm curious, because I had long given up on using a comparable car to the AI.
I'm not sure how I ended up there, but I eventually raced a stock ZR-1 on sports softs vs. the AI in the seasonal supercar event. I lost. I LOST! :)

I couldn't catch them in an ACR, ZR1, F430 Scuderia, and it was fantastic.
I don't know if it's the improved AI, or that they aren't putting the fast cars in the back of the pack anymore. All I know is, the Zonda and R390 are hard to catch, if you don't give yourself suspension, drivetrain, etc.

I also tried a 674HP ZR1 at Tokyo, stock everything else, and finished third.

So if you want a good race, just use a stock car (In the same league) on the same tires as the AI, and you can actually get a decent race now. 👍
And I've also had some good races in the Honda Civic challenge. :)

I'm mostly saying this (without disrespect to slower guys) to faster drivers, knowing I'm not the fastest, but fast enough that I never used to lose to the AI without seriously handicapping myself.

I do use comparable tires to the AI.. my LP670 can catch the R390 easily on sport softs.. why pay extra to mod the car otherwise?

It's my favorite way to race A spec. I pick a car with the same PP as the AI and use the same tires they do.

I will detune my car to the lower range of the AI PP/HP shown in the race description to make it more challenging.

When I raced the Muscle car seasonal, I even used the stock transmission to keep it more realistic.

Since they dumbed down the seasonals I've been always using cars with only suspension mod and sports soft, much fun, takes me 3 laps to catch the leader, haven't tried the supercar seasonal, having too much fun in the Lamborghini event

Racing the new AI after patch 1.10 is now actually... fun. I approve, I've been having lots of fun. Especially on the seasonals.

I lost last night too. I was using a stock Enzo with sport softs and I got 2nd in Tsukuba. First was the R390. Yeah, it was fun!

Right after I got the 1.10 update I tried a Super GT race in arcade mode, and then a one-make F10 race in GT mode. Maybe they're a bit faster than before but I still won both races easily. So I still race online mostly.

I was also making a new thread about this. After playing more then 2 hours the dreamcar cup, I´m done with the world :)

Hell I had 2 such intense races in that Championship, I only was stunning!

I took the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II

ford-gt-lm-race-car-spec-ii-picture-22018.jpg

Race one on an Nascar track (don´t know wich one now) was very easy.

Race two in Monza was in the rain. That was too easy because the AI in rain is extreme
slow...

But then! Race three in Tokyo, I catched the #1 car in lap 9 of 10. It was the same car I was using, also on racing hard tyres. Damn he was fast! I was driving on my limit. I never thought that the AI can be that fast! Also in corners!

Then race four in Le mans, first lap I was the leader, then this Jaguar (image) overtook me and won with over 14 seconds. I was 2nd and fighting for place 2 with the Ford. Was really close!
LMC143.jpg

Then race five on the Nordschleife, that was not thad hard, I was leading with over 5 seconds... But in the last corner I made an mistake and I won with 0:122 seconds before the Jaguar...

One of the best GT5 experience I ever had :)

It is also a good idea to turn ABS off. That will make you drive more careful and will add more difficulty to the race. I like to play like this when I'm trying to gold the event for the first time.

I raced bone stock Premium McLaren F1 on Rte 264 supercar seasonal.. I think 614PP - Oil changed maybe.

No aids, no ABS stock tires w/ G25. Lost first race, but then backed out and then got new ai cars (including Veyron) and I was in first by 2nd lap but was still hard. One mistake and they would have caught me. The car is super twitchy... It all depends on which cars the ai get. But yep, a lot better ai when you use stock car/ stock tires with same or slightly lower PP car.

I like running A-spec like this too.

Yesterday, I re-did the Laguna Seca enduro with a Daihatsu Midget II. It was a very tight race, with the Corvette Z06 able to go 4 seconds faster per lap for the first 10~15 laps after pitting for fresh tyres.

I pitted once on lap 46. At the end of the first stint, my front tyres were too worn, and I knew that the Corvette was in second now and had no one holding him up for me. So for the second stint, I had to drive flat out the whole time, and look after my front tyres better. From lap 50 to lap 80 the Corvette was on my tail, then he pitted for fresh tires.

Thought it was over? Nope. In 9 laps, he closed my 28 second gap to nothing, and was back on my tail for the last lap. I managed to win by 0.961s with no weaving or blocking, just driving hard every lap.

The best races are close ones like this.

I like running A-spec like this too.

Yesterday, I re-did the Laguna Seca enduro with a Daihatsu Midget II. It was a very tight race, with the Corvette Z06 able to go 4 seconds faster per lap for the first 10~15 laps after pitting for fresh tyres.

I pitted once on lap 46. At the end of the first stint, my front tyres were too worn, and I knew that the Corvette was in second now and had no one holding him up for me. So for the second stint, I had to drive flat out the whole time, and look after my front tyres better. From lap 50 to lap 80 the Corvette was on my tail, then he pitted for fresh tires.

Thought it was over? Nope. In 9 laps, he closed my 28 second gap to nothing, and was back on my tail for the last lap. I managed to win by 0.961s with no weaving or blocking, just driving hard every lap.

The best races are close ones like this.
:odd:
I can appreciate any good race, but I'm pretty sure this is waaaay off the idea. :sly: :lol:

:odd:
I can appreciate any good race, but I'm pretty sure this is waaaay off the idea. :sly: :lol:

I had to read it twice... I can't believe he was racing a Midget against a Z06... too much rubberbanding on GT5's part maybe??

I usually start out stock, with the same tires as the AI. I will make small inprovements to the car until I win. Sometimes I will even try once again after removing the last modification I did to see if I really needed it or if I just had a better race. It can take a long time to win some of the races but I am having fun the entire time.

Occasionally I will start a race and find I picked a car that was too good and am way out in front. Sometimes when this happens I will challenge myself. I will pretend that I lost 1st and 2nd gear and see if I can still win, or I will put a book under my throttle pedal and only have 3/4th throttle max. Makes the win more satisfying, if I do still win.

I really enjoy the Supercar Seasonal; I'm using it to go through all my cars. Rank them by PP, start at the top, do all five races, then move onto the next car.

I leave everything how it is in the garage. [So some of the cars are fully tuned, others might be completely stock.]

It's a great way for me to actually use these cars... and make a buttload of money at the same time. Oh and five races is enough for a 100% refresh on the UCD, so I can see if there's anything interesting to blow my money on.

The first few cars are a really cruisey win, then you have to fight for it, then you really really have to fight for a win. I stopped scrolling down my Premiums when I only won two of the five races and switched to Standards.

I know this is a long post, but I'm a huge fan of this system, so I'm spreading the word!

I should say it was the '04 Z06(C5).
I was quicker through the corners especially in the second half of the lap. But I was expecting the 'Vette to go flying past at any point.:nervous:
Was running in the 1:44's for most of the race.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/5lman0jv.2ud.jpg:D
You held him up. ;)
I'm not saying intentionally, but you did, last Laguna enduro I ran was a stock 08 Challenger, the first time I won, pitting every 22/23 laps, (had the yellow bugger on my tail forever) then ran a faster race, pitting every 15 and lost, simply because the Z06 didn't have to wait for me.

You held him up. ;)
I'm not saying intentionally, but you did, last Laguna enduro I ran was a stock 08 Challenger, the first time I won, pitting every 22/23 laps, (had the yellow bugger on my tail forever) then ran a faster race, pitting every 15 and lost, simply because the Z06 didn't have to wait for me.
I know I was slower than him, but he couldn't get past. I wasn't weaving or covering the inside into corners. Most laps, he could just catch me into the braking zone after the longer straights, but then I pulled away through the corner. From the corkscrew to the final corner, I was quicker and could pull enough gap to hold the lead down the front straight.

I think one of the reasons I could hold him out was because he was never right behind me straight after his pitstops, when his pace was at it's best. But I put that down to my superior strategy:sly::lol:

Always have raced the ai with a relevant car and sometimes even de-tune the car a bit. I think PD needs to put restictions on all the events thats somewhat similiar to the seasonals where it shows you PP and tires for the ai.(eg: 500-540pp, racing hard, and PP restricted to 580 for the player) I believe this kind of set-up would help racers get faster. Too many just take a far superior car with racing softs(arcade tires) and lap the ai.

Back