• Thread starter Sprite
  • 36 comments

Sprite

Beanbag Brain
Premium
United Kingdom
Horbury, West Yorkshire
GTP_Sprite
Ok guys anyone else looking forward to this as much as me? I think this excites me more than the new Pink Floyd album.

We all know Richard D James produces under a ton of other names like Caustic Window Etc but this is Aphex Twins most recent release since 2001.

I'd be supprised if this genius didn't have much of a following here. Shout up and post your favourites from his vast array of music.

Been a few years since I regularly listened to Aphex. The Kickstarter campaign leading to his abandoned Caustic Window album getting a digital release in June got me interested again. Then news broke in July about a brand new release being immanent. Apparently Rich thought his fans had long since forgotten about him and was surprised when Warp were eager to roll out his new album. Now he says he's in the mood to release a few more soon. :lol:

Those pre-release album reviews and track-by-track descriptions are getting me hyped though. Fans have been waiting years for some of his live set tracks to get a proper release. Minipops being one of them.

Last edited:
@Wiegert the Kickstarter was a great idea. The Caustic Window stuff was very good too.

His loyal fanbase have been hungry for something new and it's going to be fun with new releases too.

I've put myself Down to try and win the chance to buy the limited edition vinyl. It's limited to 200 pieces and costs £250!! I'll still be happy with the LP though.

I've put myself Down to try and win the chance to buy the limited edition vinyl. It's limited to 200 pieces and costs £250!! I'll still be happy with the LP though.

Best of luck with that! 👍

I'm nowhere near dedicated enough to spend that much on a limited release. Same with the Amon Tobin Box Set a couple of years ago. Would make for a great collectors piece.

Best of luck with that! 👍

I'm nowhere near dedicated enough to spend that much on a limited release. Same with the Amon Tobin Box Set a couple of years ago. Would make for a great collectors piece.

For me Richard is the Pinical of British Electronic music, plus the design work was done by Designers Republic (guys who did all the logos etc for the original Wipeout game.) so a big double whammy.

I don't want to hijack this, but you guys may be able to help. I absolutely LOVE Windowlicker (thank you GTA5 for introducing me to that), so with that in mind, are there any tracks I should make a point to check out?

I don't want to hijack this, but you guys may be able to help. I absolutely LOVE Windowlicker (thank you GTA5 for introducing me to that), so with that in mind, are there any tracks I should make a point to check out?

Come to Daddy
Flim
Nannou
Jynweythek
Avril 14
Nanou2
Didgeridoo
Isopropanol
Alberto Balsalm
Xtal
Vordhosbn

And everything on the Richard D. James album. The man's a genius.

I can't believe I forgot to see him do a DJ set at Glastonbury this year. Literally remembered he was playing as the shuttle bus to the train station was pulling out of Worthy Farm!

Last edited:
Come to Daddy
Flim
Nannou
Jynweythek
Avril 14
Nanou2
Didgeridoo
Isopropanol
Alberto Balsalm
Xtal
Vordhosbn

And everything on the Richard D. James album. The man's a genius.

I can't believe I forgot to see him do a DJ set at Glastonbury this year. Literally remembered he was playing as the shuttle bus to the train station was pulling out of Worthy Farm!

You can also add in the mixes for Come To Daddy when you're ready. Some really interesting songs. (even though they are in no way related to each other)

Selected Ambient Works Volume II. The whole album is a completely different beast compared to most other stuff he released up until Gwely Mernans and other dark ambient tracks appeared on Drukqs. It just goes to prove how diverse the guy is when it comes to electronic music production. Rhubarb, Matchsticks and Lichen are stand-out tracks.

As far as Aphex albums go though, Selected Ambient Works 85-92 stands as my favourite and probably the most consistent release to date. It's not quite as adventurous or ground-breaking as later albums, but it still has a modern sound even after 25 years, plus it makes for relatively easy listening. Xtal is also one of his best pieces. Period.

It's worth checking out both the 'Classics' compilation and 'On Remixes' for something a little more energetic. Along with the Surfing on Sine Waves album.

Last edited:
The album is up on Spotify now. It isn't a massive departure from his usual style but man is it a refreshing listen. Might well be my AOTY, Aisatsana is such a beautiful track.

Well I did have an early release copy on vinyl but I wasn't allowed to share it.

I got home unwrapped the out plastic and pulled each loved sleeve out. To my horror Warp had packed record 2 twice and I was missing the first record.

I took it to my guy and he opened a few more of the ones he had in and 4 out of 4 were the same. I picked it up today so I've been avoiding sneak peaks as much as I could.

Once I'm over my man-flu I'll give it a spin.

Aphex was incredible back in the day, Drukqs changed my life when it was released. But then grime happened and this is where I'm at today :)

If anyone who is interested in getting the album but can't yet or is worried about buying it have I got a great gift for you.

As with many vinyl versions you get a download code. I don't know if it's MP3 or FLAC but below is a one off chance to get the full album for free.

This isn't an illegal download it's my own download code that I won't be using (I bought the CD version too) so I have no use for it. Follow the simple instructions and enjoy.

Remember it's only one code so first come first served. If you snag it then let us know so others don't try and waste their time.

Go to https://bleep.com/redeem/aphextwin-syro

Register then enter this code

yDhs1A2D

Good luck.

I took the code @Sprite! Thanks for that, I've been streaming it on my Spotify trial for the past few days. If I ever get the vinyl version I'll pay it forward and post my own code here.

Good stuff @F1GTR I usually put codes up in the vinyl thread but as this was a little specific.

I had the album on the other day with my back doors open. Sun was shining in and the birds were loud and the two dogs were snoring loud and for some weird reason all the sounds just fit and gave me goosebumps.

Picked it up this morning and just giving it a listen. So far so good.

I should probably get that. I heard the single once and found it kind of meh, but I love Aphex so I wouldn't be surprised if the material would be the sort of thing to grow on me. Or something.

I need to listen to Syro some more as well. I listened to it quite a bit for the first week or so after it came out and then the CD went in my pile of CDs that I mean to copy to my hard drive and wound up not leaving...

The EP is like a Drukqs remnant. Not a particularly memorable one, but the single stand-out track is one of his best Disklavier pieces to date. Another classic to go alongside Avril 14th.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/648-i...ve-is-fake-we-dont-want-to-know-what-real-is/

So, thoughts? The material certainly sounds like early Aphex, but if it is then I can see why he chose to release the material he did release at the time over it. Still Aphex.

Far too much variety bearing all the hallmarks of Aphex's style as it evolved throughout the 90s for it to be anything other than the real deal, I feel. Both of the unreleased Peel session tracks from 1995 are there along with at least one full version of an unreleased live track. And if Mike Paradinas can verify the legitimacy of more of those tracks, then it's hard not to believe that the majority - if not all - are authentic.

Jury is still out on who's actually uploading them.

I've checked some of them out and followed the uploader but I cant quite make my mind up if it is Richard or not. If it is then its gread, if not then the person uploading is very talented and could make money in thier own right.

The EP was good and I enjoyed it, but as expected it ended too sudnely and I was left wanting more :)

aphextwin_cheetah_022.jpg

As mentioned in one of Richard's Soundcloud comments last June, a Cheetah EP has materialised and is set to drop on July 8th. Record stores had been receiving faux-instruction flyers (now featured on the official site along with a tracklist) in the run-up to yesterday's announcement.

CIRKLON3 was among the Soundcloud releases we saw last year, albeit under a different name. Chances are this one is an unfinished version of CHEETAHT7b.

Already got my order in for the Vinyl and Tape. Anyone else getting it?

@C_R5_575TLR I've only ordered the tape for collectors reason. It's going to go with my copy of Rave Tapes by Mogwai & Heritage by Collage.

It more than likely won't get played for a while.

Back