Apps for PS4 AND XBONE

• Thread starter tmitch
  • 26 comments
England
England
tmitch45
I like others have seen all the great videos online and marvelled at some of the awesome rigs people have with apps for tablets displaying dishboard info etc. Now I know this is usually a PC thing but I was wondering if is possible for apps like these to be developed for use with PS4 and xbone?

With GT6 I was looking at building a buttom box for changing setting in game made from an old wired controller but never bothered once the release date for PCARS came around so wondered if this would be possible with PCARS and PS4?

I for one would buy that type of app, I think loads of people would, it'd be good to get the ball rolling on this one, and see if it has legs, and no, I don't mean a bipedal ball haha

Join the PC Master Race :P

Now seriously, can't see that happen, because on PC you need to install the "Server" apps that get the info from the game and feed it into the mobile apps. You can't have those on consoles.

So unfortunatly to the console crowd, this won't happen in the near future I'm afraid :(

This has been discussed a few times now. Unfortunately the conclusion is still that it's nothing you can "just do" - console manufacturers place restrictions on what network traffic your game is allowed (the manufacturers are very strict about a lot of things). SMS/WMD would like this to become a feature, so there's a will, but the way is not clear.

games like madden use the glass thingy (sorry idk the name) very well during games that let you see plays, tendencies and other stuff. I would think something like this would be possible at some point. other games seem to use it flawlessly.

Having a mount for my wheel of choice so that I can attach a tablet that has the Race Display info on it would be epic.

:D

There is a Tom Clancy game out this year called the division that lets you (or a friend) use a table to control a drone in the game so as you say the technology is there. Why should the pC guys have all the fun?

The server app and apps used in mobile phones/tablets aren't done by the developers. It's made by outside people. Consoles would never allow that.

I guess we have to hope that the project cars developers develop one with sony. It prob won't happen I guess that PCARS is all about community development and 'what the community want' so the more of us that discuss this on various forums and ask the question of Slightly mad studios then things could happen? You don't ask you don't get!

The server app and apps used in mobile phones/tablets aren't done by the developers. It's made by outside people. Consoles would never allow that.

Some companion apps for consoles:
Watchdogs
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Battlefield

So SMS needs to make a commitment to make one. Yeah maybe PS4/Xboxone have strict guidelines or not i dont know but it certenly not impossible to make an app that works, commitment, time, money etc.

Some companion apps for consoles:
Watchdogs
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Battlefield

So SMS needs to make a commitment to make one. Yeah maybe PS4/Xboxone have strict guidelines or not i dont know but it certenly not impossible to make an app that works, commitment, time, money etc.
I'm not saying it's impossible.

I'm just explaining how it works on the PC, and why that doesn't work on the consoles.

It's technically possible of course. When/if SMS can actually do that, the (requested and most obvious) solution would be a built in server that let's the existing apps connect with the game, sim-style That may be viewed differently by the console manufacturers than apps written by SMS themselves.

I wish I had a good answer, but I don't know nearly enough about the behind the scenes stuff that make console politics tick. SMS knows very well about both the wish for a console API server and the workings of the console processes, and I don't think any sort of campaign to 'convince' them would be productive.

Technicly it's possible, but not for 3rd party apps. The app needs a direct connection to the game and neither xbla or PSN allow retrieval of data only anymore.

SMS could easily do this but it needs to come directly from them (or contract an existing company/app). And could be a good upsell post launch. Sony and MS are very supportive in helping developers do multi screen gaming.

so they cant do a second screen through the ps4 app like madden does with glass? you just log into app connect to ps4 and then hit the second screen button and you have data coming up in real time from the game.

Yeah not sure why SMS didn't look into this. DICE did it with BF4 on both XB and PS and EA did with madden on both also. I'm sure I'm missing a couple others but those are two really good examples.

Also you can do it with the Battlelog App for BF4 not just the PS4 app and Smartglass.

Yeah not sure why SMS didn't look into this. DICE did it with BF4 on both XB and PS and EA did with madden on both also. I'm sure I'm missing a couple others but those are two really good examples.

I think DICE and EA have just a little bit more coin than SMS

I wish I had a good answer, but I don't know nearly enough about the behind the scenes stuff that make console politics tick. SMS knows very well about both the wish for a console API server and the workings of the console processes, and I don't think any sort of campaign to 'convince' them would be productive.

Technicly it's possible, but not for 3rd party apps. The app needs a direct connection to the game and neither xbla or PSN allow retrieval of data only anymore.

SMS could easily do this but it needs to come directly from them (or contract an existing company/app). And could be a good upsell post launch. Sony and MS are very supportive in helping developers do multi screen gaming.

Perhaps a wait to see how sales perform to determine if there's a viable market.

Perhaps a wait to see how sales perform to determine if there's a viable market.
Smart glass and multi screen functionality has been little more than a gimmick so far, this kind of app would be a great example of a very useful one. It would be really easy to get strong 1st party support for it...

Latest Posts

Back