Are Fictional Courses Good for the Gran Turismo Series?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 428 comments
I like the balance that this game is going to have. A lot of real life circuits have been added but all of the classic GT fictional tracks have been kept.

Who said so? :dunce:

I never heard Trial Mountain, Deep Forrest, etc. Are all going to be in GT5? If they are, Thats awesome! đź‘Ť But where did you get that info??

Who said so? :dunce:

I never heard Trial Mountain, Deep Forrest, etc. Are all going to be in GT5? If they are, Thats awesome! đź‘Ť But where did you get that info??

Well it's the safest assumption there is I guess as it would be more risky to claim they aren't included.

Yeah I'm sure they will be included, Pd would get slated for it if they didn't atleast include the main ones Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, Grand Valley etc.

Yes and no.

Yes to courses like Apricot Hill and Trial Mountain.

No to courses like London and Rome which have no purpose other then for the graphics artists to show off their skills

Yes and no.

No to courses like London and Rome which have no purpose other then for the graphics artists to show off their skills

Well London and Rome aren't exactly fictional tracks as in completely made up by PD, they are existing locations replicated accurately in which a hypothetical track is layed out ( regardless whether you like them or not ).
I'd like to see a new fictional track appear in GT5, something which will prove to be a dead cert future classic hopefully.

^ Update all early GT1/2/3/GTC tracks first before any 'completely new' tracks. I want to drive that POD circuit and SSR11/SSC on GT5! :grumpy:

What I want is grand valley, a narrower deep forest with more trees like gt3, an updated midfield, trial mountain, el capitan, high speed ring, the combined special stages and a more interesting apricot hill.

What I want is grand valley, a narrower deep forest with more trees like gt3, an updated midfield, trial mountain, el capitan, high speed ring, the combined special stages and a more interesting apricot hill.

Trial Mountain, El Capitan, Deep Forest are my picks.

^ This isn't a wish list!

Also, the addition of a great new fictional track (as mentioned in the interview) would be awesome for GT5 and its fans.

Given the time, money, space and resources, which fantasy Gran Turismo track would you create in the real world?

Kazunori was visibly awed by this question and spent nearly a minute thinking of an answer. “Deep Forest”, he said. I countered with “Trial Mountain?”. His next answer was complex – the team haven’t revealed anywhere near all of the tracks yet and there may be a fantasy GT5 track which exceeds Deep Forest in his estimations, and Trial Mountain in mine.

Yes and no.

With all due respect, what you wrote above does come to me as a shock?!
City Tracks (London, Rome, Paris, Tokyo, and soon Madrid) are very much legitimate tracks for us drivers to prove our skills on.
I am sure you are as much an avid racer as i am, and because of that, you should at least appreciate the different playgrounds we are given, the diversity is what forces us to learn new skills.

My guess is that you just dont like those blind corners, or at least you want space for your car to NOT bumps into walls...Those tracks are great for that exact purpose: to make you drive clean and avoid touching any of the walls... Once you are able to do so, you will see how great those courses/tracks are, and how technical they can be ;) I just crossed out this last sentence because it does/should not apply to you. I am confident in your driving skills, so that should not be a problem to you...
I am sure you find those tracks more of annoyance rather than obstacles on your skills.

EDIT:
But to say that they exist for esthetism... ?? đź‘Ž
I highly doubt the inclusion of city tracks are just to benefit the egos of PD's designers, those tracks are just as technical as others (real of fictive).
Actually, earlier today, i was thinking (sometimes it happens) that City tracks in GT (and other games) exist to fullfill our desire to drive through city street at speeds that are in reality just illegal and unsafe...
For that intent, i say đź‘Ť Because who has not dreamt of racing in your town?? The political incorrect within us always demand to show up...
Games like GTA does it with more twist... at least in GT games you do with with all the safety and without the violence... It's a more peaceful message ;)

What about Seattle tracks?? those are classics, and faster city tracks. I am sure you like it... I guess you are just claustrophobic and dont like the slow speed in London or Rome (which is a faster track than London)

I beg hope you reconsider your thoughts and will take back your words.

Last edited:
Seattle is an amazing track. Drive it in an elise and the stadium sections will be so much fun. Hong kong is good too and so are the 2 Paris tracks.

CTznOfTime
With all due respect, what you wrote above does come to me as a shock?!
City Tracks (London, Rome, Paris, Tokyo, and soon Madrid) are very much legitimate tracks for us drivers to prove our skills on.
I am sure you are as much an avid racer as i am, and because of that, you should at least appreciate the different playgrounds we are given, the diversity is what forces us to learn new skills.

My guess is that you just dont like those blind corners, or at least you want space for your car to NOT bumps into walls...Those tracks are great for that exact purpose: to make you drive clean and avoid touching any of the walls... Once you are able to do so, you will see how great those courses/tracks are, and how technical they can be ;) I just crossed out this last sentence because it does/should not apply to you. I am confident in your driving skills, so that should not be a problem to you...
I am sure you find those tracks more of annoyance rather than obstacles on your skills.

What about Seattle tracks?? those are classics, and faster city tracks. I am sure you like it... I guess you are just claustrophobic and dont like the slow speed in London or Rome (which is a faster track than London)

I beg hope you reconsider your thoughts and will take back your words.

:lol: Good fun good fun. I'm not scared of walls, especially at slow city course speeds. I'm using to scraping walls coming out of 2-3 wide 170mph corners in NASCAR games. btw Monaco is one of my favorite courses of all time.

And I like city tracks. Just not the fictional, IMO, garbage PD keeps spewing out. I REALLY hate the street course tracks that are there just to show off locations. Why did they build the rome course where they built it? So you can see the colesium and other stupid landmarks. Was there potential for a great course layout? No. Was there potential to show off graphics and Landmarks and make great screenshots for marketing? Yes. So they did it.

IMO Seattle is a joke. Is this RUSH extreme racing arcade or a simulator? I admit the layout isnt that bad but, the jumps?! Racing over train tracks?! :ill:

IMO PD has made very few good city courses compared to good ones. Good ones would be SSR5, SSR11, and Tokyo R246. I dont see reason to create more when there are plenty of REAL city courses that are incredible. Macau, Long Beach, Toronto, Monaco...these should all get in before they decide to show off by modeling a race under the Eiffell Tower.

If you don't like them don't race on them. But that Rome track has potential. I think it could be a classic. I don't really like Madrid yet but that might have something to do with ive only seen bad drivers race on them. Seattle short would be a good track to have back aswell.

Ugh. Seattle Short was rendundant, fiddly and needless. It had maybe one decent corner on it - the last one. And half of that was a part of the full circuit.

I like the even mix of both we have now. As you said having those fictional courses give the game a unique identity, with some of those course now having been in the series the whole time they have developed a fan base even (Grand Valley Speedway seems to be very popular amongst all players). Of course, it's important to have those real tracks too, as people like tracks they can relate to, or might like to see how fast their car can go at that track. There'd be more to it than that I'm sure, but you can see that both kinds of track are important to have.:)

well said!
đź‘Ť

London was awful, Rome looks nice but I need something fast with two lanes max (Not 4) And a good speed of 200KM/H. I don't like the winding tracks (Amalfi for example)

I need something fast with two lanes max (Not 4)
Actually, most modern circuits will be at least three lanes wide at the very minimum. The reason being is that if a circuit is just two lanes wide, all a driver has to do is position himself in the middle of the circuit and he physically cannot be passed. The old Canberra 400 circuit for the V8 Supercars was just two lanes wide and it was absolute garbage. And the faster the circuit, the wider it generally has to be - because if you have a narrow high-speed circuit, it can result in some very dangerous accidents in the event of contact.

I don't like the winding tracks (Amalfi for example)
You need a balance in the game. You can't simply have fifty circuit like High Speed Ring, just as you can't have fifty circuit like Citta di Aria. You need to have a balance, because otherwise it will get very boring, very quickly.

I have to say, I don't see how real life tracks are automatically better just because they are real life. Sure, I would like more real life tracks in the series (Watkins please!), but I can't say that I want them so much that I think PD should focus on them more than the tracks that they create.

I could personally accept GT5 without any real tracks either (Like a couple people here). Although, the one track I would really want is Nurburgring. If I could just get fantasy tracks with the addition of nurburgring, It would be great. I really think they need to focus on new fictional courses though. I just want to see at least 3 new fictional courses for GT5 (Not fictional city courses.. Actual fictional tracks made by PD). For GT6, hopefully the only thing they work on is Fictional courses. After including Spa, Pikes peak, and actually including Point to point rally tracks, that is.

^ Update all early GT1/2/3/GTC tracks first before any 'completely new' tracks. I want to drive that POD circuit and SSR11/SSC on GT5! :grumpy:

Give this man a cigar!

tito_castro.jpg

Okay, I just saw the POD race on YouTube ... and my God, was it weird. What the hell was the point of all that? Especially the handbrake stop and artificial hill/jump.

I love the city tracks to be honest. Not because of the amazing corners they might have or tthe flow of the circuit. More so because you get to race all these cars around real life cities like Madrid, Rome, Tokyo etc and they force you to race cleanly. I'm just hoping there is some way to stop wall bouncing online.

Are fictional courses good for the Gran Turismo series? Hell yeah! Personally, I have more fond memories of the fictional tracks than I do any of the real tracks in the game. Along with the realistic cars and handling, it's part of what made/makes GT, GT.

I really hope they bin half of the crappy tracks in GT4:

New York : No elevation changes, 90° corners. WOW! :dopey:
Hong Kong : Nothing intresting.
Seoul : High Speed Ring is here, we don't need Seoul.
Opera Paris : It was a crappy track, and now that we have Rome, this can also be ditched.
George Paris : Useless.
Citta di Aria : Nothing intresting about this track. Just narrow as 🤬.
Costa di Amalfi : Hairpin after hairpin...where's the fun?
Valencia : Dull.
Cathedral Rocks Trail I, II, III : Seriously? These crappy tracks replaced Tahiti Circuit and Smokey Mountain?
etc.

And replace these utter gargabe tracks with :
Red Rock Valley
Grindelwald
Trial Mountain
Grand Valley East
Grand Valley Speedway
Deep Forest
Apricot Hill
SSR5
CSR5
SSR11 ( WITH the chichane)