Are Penalties Ruining GTSport?

• Thread starter Joe-dogs
  • 36 comments
Norway
Norway
watery tea cup

Gran Turismo has always had the worst drivers in the world. There are a few good drivers, but there are few of them. Penalties are not a problem in other games like Assetto corsa, raceroom, rfactor 1-2 etc. It is not GTSport's fault. It's the players. And the GTPLANET is heaven for these IDIOTS!!!

That is some hot take, now I wouldn't dream of defending this place but...

I hardly think you can just give blame to GTP as much as you have, sure there are plenty of awful drivers here, who have a very disgusting view point on the game simply to rank up in play. However, that isn't a systemic issue of GTP, that is one of the community here and outside of here, and extends to other esport racers and games. Now I don't know of a community esport/online competitive wise like GTS, and I don't think it'd be wise to fully or even mostly adopt the models of others, because of how small they are user wise. The games you've suggested that are better have their own host of issues penalty wise as well.

The video you link even shows low tier races, where drivers aren't good and bad habits will be obvious. SR ratings seem to be the bigger issues and mask potential bad drivers.

As for GT being the worst driver in the world I would say you're right on some version and wrong on others.

Also it's funny you bring this up because this was just posted
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/news/00_3035755.html

Last edited:
Gran Turismo has always had the worst drivers in the world. There are a few good drivers, but there are few of them. Penalties are not a problem in other games like Assetto corsa, raceroom, rfactor 1-2 etc. It is not GTSport's fault. It's the players. And the GTPLANET is heaven for these IDIOTS!!!
This is definitely a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other situation. There are dirty drivers EVERYWHERE, and with everyone trying to get every position they can, there are going to be masses of players who divebomb, punt, pit maneuver, etc all to get one more spot, even if it's for 12th place.

For me one of the problems is it's to easy to get a SR-S rating , for instance I was SR-S , did 2 races at mount panarama which did not go well , dropped down to SR-B , then just plodded round suzuka at the back and got back to SR-S in 4 races, you should have to be competive with times to get your SR up , not sure how you would work that but it would maybe stop people sacrificing there safety rating at a race in order to get a good finish .

For me one of the problems is it's to easy to get a SR-S rating , for instance I was SR-S , did 2 races at mount panarama which did not go well , dropped down to SR-B , then just plodded round suzuka at the back and got back to SR-S in 4 races, you should have to be competive with times to get your SR up , not sure how you would work that but it would maybe stop people sacrificing there safety rating at a race in order to get a good finish .
Agree on this. It's way too easy to exploit the system to get back to S. If you've been dirty, the game should increase the time it takes for a player to get back to max SR, and driving around at the rear staying out of the way should neutralize any SR gains.

Check in game today. There's a notification in game that says they are making the Dr.A penalties less severe 👍

Which could be good or bad or both. Less severe is definitely needed when you tap someone, especially on corner exit but then get 5 or even 10 seconds for it but less severe is not needed when you dive the inside, even using the grass and bounce off someone to get past, 10 seconds is not enough then.

Maybe they have finally stopped the victim getting a penalty too, one can hope right, as it's just silly a car can come from off the track, hit you and get you a penalty.

Which could be good or bad or both. Less severe is definitely needed when you tap someone, especially on corner exit but then get 5 or even 10 seconds for it but less severe is not needed when you dive the inside, even using the grass and bounce off someone to get past, 10 seconds is not enough then.

Maybe they have finally stopped the victim getting a penalty too, one can hope right, as it's just silly a car can come from off the track, hit you and get you a penalty.

Agreed. I think we can all agree the penalty system is nowhere near perfect. But it's good to see they are open to making adjustments to give us the chance of clean and fun races. No algorithm will ever get it right 100% of the time, unfortunately.

I think the issue with GT is that it has always attracted a casual audience. Some of which don't seem to care about proper racing, but have unfortunately found their way on to sport mode.

I would suggest that the people of this website are the exception as a majority of us seem to take racing rather seriously.

And the GTPLANET is heaven for these IDIOTS!!!
Do you realize you're on GTP calling people on GTP idiots?

No, it was worse before the penalties. People have short memories and forget all the complaints about dirty driving pre 1.13. The penalties made people a little more aware of other cars on the track.

It does need a lot of refinement. Fault detection and sensitivity are still iffy at best. It's too easy to fall down in a daily B through no fault of your own while it's far too easy to get back to SR.S in a daily C due to the huge point budget available there, which also allows people to keep driving dirty after they have reached the 99 cap.

I must admit there is a lot of rude, vulgar and dirty drivers in GTS races but I cannot compare the amount of these people with other games.

GTS and GTAV are completely different games with different expectations of racing...kind of obvious
Ya don't say. Comparing how bad the player pool is, not the type of game it is.

This suggestion comes up often, as if a system that can consistently decide blame is an easy one to craft.

iRacing, the game that GT Sport's rating system so clearly borrows from, doesn't have a perfect one yet, and it's been going for around a decade at this point.

I think the issue with GT is that it has always attracted a casual audience. Some of which don't seem to care about proper racing, but have unfortunately found their way on to sport mode.

I wouldn't call that an issue, so much as it's an integral part of the series' continued success. Without casuals, GT would probably not exist in its current form.

Gran Turismo has always had the worst drivers in the world.

Anybody else wondering what criteria led to this conclusion?

I mean, it'd be fascinating.

Obvious troll is obvious. 1/10.

This suggestion comes up often, as if a system that can consistently decide blame is an easy one to craft.

iRacing, the game that GT Sport's rating system so clearly borrows from, doesn't have a perfect one yet, and it's been going for around a decade at this point.

I know no system will ever do this fully. I'm mainly only on about the more obvious cases, like going off track and then hitting another car within a second or so of doing so, that shouldn't be too hard to judge correctly and not give the driver with all four wheels on the track a penalty for the pleasure of being hit. I mean the game knows track limits enough (however lax some of them are) to give out penalties for going off track, so in theory at least, hitting another car just after going off track shouldn't be too hard to determine fault and not hand out any penalties (to the driver still on track anyway), but then I'm no coder that's for sure. Although I do know that it is going to be hard to know whether the other driver went off/crashed on purpose, so the system will never/ can never get that part right. ;)

If it's the players' fault, and not the game's then wouldn't that be suggest that penalties are not a big issue with clean players? (Which, I might add, is exactly the case?)

One daily race done as an E/B and someone else's video that shows a clear mistake to earn a penalty? A great way to substantiate your case.👍

I'm guessing it was probably decided on the basis of a lot of playing with himself.

Hairy palms and blindness interfering with their cognitive function?

You haven't even gone up from SR B yet :lol:
Screenshot_2018-07-11-00-29-12.png

Why are you complaining then when you can't even break SR 50 after 4 races :P

Back