Are the tracks in Forza 5 laser-scanned?

• Thread starter Cucobr
  • 39 comments
Not all of them are laser-scanned but yes certain tracks such as Bathurst and Silverstone have been laser-scanned.

As far as the technology is concerned they most likely using a scanning truck with some of the newest commercial scanning technology(down to 3mm).

Dan Greenawalt
"We're looking at laser scanning of everything moving forward - that's what it comes down to," Greenawalt said of Turn 10's approach. "We want that to be the standard for next-generation. Our goal's not to carry old content over - and even with all the cars, we did the same process. There were some inaccuracies, and some cars were old-spec that we'd updated from Forza 2 to 3 to 4. But they didn't have the poly count where we wanted it - and they weren't as easy to up-res, so we just recaptured them. Some of them, the spec was good and we could add polygons where we needed them. So it came down to this rating system - and any track or car that wasn't an A grade got either chucked or recaptured."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sport-5-has-less-cars-and-tracks-than-forza-4

Not all of them are laser-scanned but yes certain tracks such as Bathurst and Silverstone have been laser-scanned.

Be proven otherwise.

There is a very obvious accuracy issue at the start of the start/finish straight (can't remember if it's the new S/F or the old S/F) where the track should be straight but in FM5 is curves Such an inaccuracy wouldn't exist if the track was actually laser scanned. Who knows what other inaccuracies are on the track let alone the other tracks.

Remember, T10 tried to claim every single real world circuit was laser scanned right up until they were proven beyond any shadow of doubt they were lying when they revealed Laguna Seca. After that the claim was changed to "new tracks".

Be proven otherwise.

There is a very obvious accuracy issue at the start of the start/finish straight (can't remember if it's the new S/F or the old S/F) where the track should be straight but in FM5 is curves Such an inaccuracy wouldn't exist if the track was actually laser scanned. Who knows what other inaccuracies are on the track let alone the other tracks.

Remember, T10 tried to claim every single real world circuit was laser scanned right up until they were proven beyond any shadow of doubt they were lying when they revealed Laguna Seca. After that the claim was changed to "new tracks".

I'm sorry but I don't remember Turn 10 ever saying every single track was laser-scanned...

You do realize these tracks change over time so you can only compare the scanned track with the track that existed at the time of scanning?

Last edited:
Yeah, I've searched on the net in vain for anyone mentioning these "obvious accuracy issues" in FM5 Silverstone.

Last edited:
It's the revised 2010 layout. I think that's where the curves have come from.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/11/forza-5s-silverstone-is-back-on-track/

The first picture in that article is one of the obvious modelling errors on the track. The curbing should be completely straight but isn't.

forza-5-silverstone.jpg

Compare it to this
b_club_01_start_finish.JPG

So Silverstone couldn't have possibly reprofiled the rubbing strips? It's the sort of thing no designer would add if they were creating a circuit from photos, so the fact it is straight now would tell me it has been fixed since the track was scanned.

VXR
So Silverstone couldn't have possibly reprofiled the rubbing strips? It's the sort of thing no designer would add if they were creating a circuit from photos, so the fact it is straight now would tell me it has been fixed since the track was scanned.

It's been straight since construction of the new circuit began.

It's just T10s shoddy modelling (which has been proven to be lacking over the years) coupled to a ******** claim of "laser scanning" to try and scam people. Likely would have been a Microsoft thing but still, inexcusable.

The first picture in that article is one of the obvious modelling errors on the track. The curbing should be completely straight but isn't.

forza-5-silverstone.jpg

Compare it to this
b_club_01_start_finish.JPG
I'm sorry but i am from GT6, but the top is the FM right?
GT does stuff like this, especially at the end/beginning of the Porsche/Ford chicanes, where the off-track to the right should be AstroTurf yet they kept the old concrete wall and rumble strips, which was not there in 2013...

I'm sorry but i am from GT6, but the top is the FM right?
GT does stuff like this, especially at the end/beginning of the Porsche/Ford chicanes, where the off-track to the right should be AstroTurf yet they kept the old concrete wall and rumble strips, which was not there in 2013...

The problem is not what's off the track, it's the fact the track surface it self is clearly inaccurate.

Things like Astro turfing or pavement on the outsides of tracks do get changed often so inaccuracies there are common and excusable. Having a straight section of track curve is NOT excusable especially after claiming laser scanning and "sub 6mm accuracy" etc.

The problem is not what's off the track, it's the fact the track surface it self is clearly inaccurate.

Things like Astro turfing or pavement on the outsides of tracks do get changed often so inaccuracies there are common and excusable. Having a straight section of track curve is NOT excusable especially after claiming laser scanning and "sub 6mm accuracy" etc.
Ahhh... I see what you mean... The statement not followed.. It's okay, GT6 was promised a livery editor from 5 years ago for GT5... havent seen that ship dock yet

Having checked it out, I realised I was looking at the wrong part of this straight. I noticed it wasn't arrow straight just off the last bend, but failed to notice just how the track bows by the Silverstone gantry and it clearly doesn't at any time of the redevelopment. Very odd.

Last edited:
VXR
Having checked it out, I realised I was looking at the wrong part of this straight. I noticed it wasn't arrow straight just off the last bend, but failed to notice just how the track bows by the Silverstone gantry and it clearly doesn't at any time of the redevelopment. Very odd.
Like they did with the 'ring, my guess is that it was intentional. They are trying to make the tracks accurate, but at the same time they have widened tracks and extended corners for casuals (less of a chance for them to over shoot that last corner for example).

Not really... it's one of the pics they released before the game was released. I noticed this issue back then and wasn't even planning on buying the game.
I actually didn't mean it was hard to see visually, I more or less meant the scrutinizing, to each their own.

I got to try FM5 at a friends house the other day, saw they had Road Atlanta, thought hell yea awesome track...but that thought didn't last long, it almost seems flat... very poor elevation changes :odd:
Either iRacing has it very wrong or FM5 are just plain guessing the layout of the track :confused:

I don't believe they redid Road Atlanta. It's likely a carry-over from earlier games. Though I completely disagree that the track is flat. It's possible that the FOV makes it look flatter to some.

I don't believe they redid Road Atlanta. It's likely a carry-over from earlier games. Though I completely disagree that the track is flat. It's possible that the FOV makes it look flatter to some.

I said the track almost seems flat, I didnt say it was flat. There is clear elevation changes but compared to iRacings version the elevation changes in FM5 are very poor...I wish I did own both so I could do a side by side comparison video I'm sure the differences would come through looking pretty extreme.

I will admit my time I did spend on FM5 I quite enjoyed, I guess the track model did annoy me a bit though.

I said the track almost seems flat, I didnt say it was flat. There is clear elevation changes but compared to iRacings version the elevation changes in FM5 are very poor...I wish I did own both so I could do a side by side comparison video I'm sure the differences would come through looking pretty extreme.

I will admit my time I did spend on FM5 I quite enjoyed, I guess the track model did annoy me a bit though.

Thanks for the iRacing Tutorial UKMikey, it was good reference. I ran this video side by side with FM5 and to me the Road Atlanta elevation changes seem VERY close between the iRacing and FM5 versions. The FOV was a little different from a cockpit view of the Ferrari 312T2 I used in FM5 but for the most part I couldn't see any difference.

Latest Posts

Back