Are we playing the best forza ever

Speedster you seem like an intelligent guy but you are pretty contradictory. You're fine on FM4 forum because you don't have anything controversial to say :lol: We all get you don't like the game but don't expect it to be a motorsport free roam. :) Mmk?

I'm with you there, GT was plagued with the same problems from GT2 on, and they never fixed them, in fact, it just got worse all the way up to GT5. But the crazy part is, people (myself included) still keep buying them, in fact GT5 sold something like 5 million copies, way more than Forza 3 and 4 combined. As consumers, we tend to like to reward failures, and the kind of message that sends is "hey we're ok with the Dev's laziness, just keep taking our money, we like it, please kick us in the butt too while you're at it, we like that too". Until people (again, myself included) start voting with their wallets, nothing will ever change.

"hey we're ok with the Dev's laziness, just keep taking our money, we like it, please kick us in the butt too while you're at it, we like that too"

Harh harh haarhhh... this had me and my buddies rolling up and down the floor in no time!! :lol:

As for the FM franchise..well, sales and all numbers aside.. they have managed to make significant improvements after each iteration. Though it may be worth noting that while the jump from FM2 to 3 was quite an achievement, the FM3 to FM4 wasn't as big. A lot of reviewers called it Forza 3.5. It uses the FIII logo for a good reason I'm sure! Voting with our wallets...rewarding failures... yeah, some true say right there. Why do devs have to leave out the good stuff from the previous games in order to add the new and improved stuff? FM is a good example. Just to keep us hanging on I suppose, until they come up with something truly innovative. FM4 certainly didn't blow me away like FM3 did. Well, except for the changes/improvements to the physics and sounds...THAT did grab me by the kahunas!

Next gen... please grace us with your presence already!

As for the FM franchise..well, sales and all numbers aside.. they have managed to make significant improvements after each iteration. Though it may be worth noting that while the jump from FM2 to 3 was quite an achievement, the FM3 to FM4 wasn't as big. A lot of reviewers called it Forza 3.5. It uses the FIII logo for a good reason I'm sure!
I'm sure most of us here scratched our heads when we saw the "FIII logo" for the first time in FM4. I guess they want us to believe it was supposed to be "FM." Someone should tell them that "Forza Horizon" doesn't shorten to "FM," or "FIII," no matter what color you make it. :lol:

I agree that FM4 was kinda FM3.5, but that doesn't really matter to me because FM3 was worthless to drive. I wouldn't say it struck me the way FM4 did.

"hey we're ok with the Dev's laziness, just keep taking our money, we like it, please kick us in the butt too while you're at it, we like that too"

Harh harh haarhhh... this had me and my buddies rolling up and down the floor in no time!! :lol:

As for the FM franchise..well, sales and all numbers aside.. they have managed to make significant improvements after each iteration. Though it may be worth noting that while the jump from FM2 to 3 was quite an achievement, the FM3 to FM4 wasn't as big. A lot of reviewers called it Forza 3.5. It uses the FIII logo for a good reason I'm sure! Voting with our wallets...rewarding failures... yeah, some true say right there. Why do devs have to leave out the good stuff from the previous games in order to add the new and improved stuff? FM is a good example. Just to keep us hanging on I suppose, until they come up with something truly innovative. FM4 certainly didn't blow me away like FM3 did. Well, except for the changes/improvements to the physics and sounds...THAT did grab me by the kahunas!

Next gen... please grace us with your presence already!

Well, the Wii U is out now :D

The sounds were definitely an improvement in FM4, and they also fixed the tire smoke too.

Well, I wouldn't term the tire smoke "fixed", but it certainly is a slight improvement over FM3. What would have been nice though, is if they had retained the same smoke mechanic/model from FM3, and just made it somehow denser and thicker, with the lingering added, without the performance taking a hit. But you do see how performance takes a small hit when you're alone on the track, doing donuts.. there's a lot to be rendered around the car.. and you see stuttering. The ONLY time you do get to see stuttering in FM4. They've pushed the hardware as far as they could, I mean just look how beautiful the cars and tracks look, especially the cars. Though some tracks did noticeably look better in FM3.

Anyhoo, new hardware and FM5 ought to fix a lot of things. They have no excuse!

^ Yet they are going to be chock full o' excuses...

I have little faith that FM5 will be all that the typical fan hopes it would be.

I'm with you there, GT was plagued with the same problems from GT2 on, and they never fixed them, in fact, it just got worse all the way up to GT5. But the crazy part is, people (myself included) still keep buying them, in fact GT5 sold something like 5 million copies, way more than Forza 3 and 4 combined. As consumers, we tend to like to reward failures, and the kind of message that sends is "hey we're ok with the Dev's laziness, just keep taking our money, we like it, please kick us in the butt too while you're at it, we like that too". Until people (again, myself included) start voting with their wallets, nothing will ever change.
Exactly. Which is why I did not buy GT5. When I heard only 200 of the 1000 cars were premium I decided not to buy it. It was later given to me as a christmas gift. The game was a disaster at launch. I rented it and my gosh dont get me going. 80% of the cars were standard which means no interior view, cant take these cars to photo travel, cant change wheels and so many more problems. Years later and a lot of updates later, its actually a good game. BUT thats the problem, it launched terrible. They should have waited another couple years then released the game. But even with that said, the standards are still standards in GT5. Which imo still means the game is only 20% complete because only 200 out of 1000 cars are premium. There are a few more now but the mass majority are PSP ported standard cars.

Forza Horizon is a good game but not one I could justify supporting at the $60.00 launch price. I also wouldnt say its the best Forza. Far too many cons outwight the pros for this game. Map is way too small to start with along with no tuning setups. Its a fun beta for the open world introduction for Forza. But this is only a test.

Horizon 2 I think will be an amazing game now that this beta test is out of the way. The season pass was also very insulting for Horizon. I feel bad for the people that supported that $50.00 season pass. Ouch. The less people that support that, the more likely the next season pass wont be priced so high. As DD said, if you want to show how you do or do not support a product, you show that with your wallet. You cant buy every single dlc or season pass that comes out and still expect something to change. If you want something to change, keep your wallet closed. :sly:

I had fun with the Horizon rental and will buy this when the price drops to around $20-$25. Horizon 2 I expect to be an amazing game and hopefully will finally have weather effects too.

Honestly, the map size doesn't bother me. Sure, it's not the biggest but it's certainly not the smallest I've seen, so I'm really not complaining. As for tuning, that can be a pro or a con depending on the person. I don't miss tuning and I'm glad I don't have to spend time learning how to tune in order to be competitive in this game. I would like to be able to change gear ratios at least, but again, I can live without it.

^ Yet they are going to be chock full o' excuses...

I have little faith that FM5 will be all that the typical fan hopes it would be.

Well, let's think about this for a moment.

FM, ever since it has been released on the X360, has made significant improvements over every previous iteration, admittedly at the cost of excluding some good features from the previous ones. Why they've employed that approach is beyond me. Perhaps to keep people wanting more and retaining their interest just enough for future releases. It's somewhat of a clever business and marketing technique, when you think about it. Look at GT by comparison; practically no innovation or major changes since the PS2 to PS3 transition. Even the PS1 to PS2 transition was nothing to write home about. Now fast forward to GT5, and we get more of the same with upped graphics. What I'm getting at is this: the transition from FM1 to FM2 was significant, thanks to the new hardware. Now with the next Xbox, the change should ideally be even more monumental than before. They better take advantage of it, and not give fans the royal screw job the way PD did. If they are planning on mucking up the franchise, then I just may take a break from console sims. They've got nothing stopping them from reaching the limit though. I'd hardly call Gran turismo "competition" or a "future business threat".

Exactly. Which is why I did not buy GT5. When I heard only 200 of the 1000 cars were premium I decided not to buy it. It was later given to me as a christmas gift. The game was a disaster at launch. I rented it and my gosh dont get me going. 80% of the cars were standard which means no interior view, cant take these cars to photo travel, cant change wheels and so many more problems. Years later and a lot of updates later, its actually a good game. BUT thats the problem, it launched terrible. They should have waited another couple years then released the game. But even with that said, the standards are still standards in GT5. Which imo still means the game is only 20% complete because only 200 out of 1000 cars are premium. There are a few more now but the mass majority are PSP ported standard cars.

Forza Horizon is a good game but not one I could justify supporting at the $60.00 launch price. I also wouldnt say its the best Forza. Far too many cons outwight the pros for this game. Map is way too small to start with along with no tuning setups. Its a fun beta for the open world introduction for Forza. But this is only a test.

Horizon 2 I think will be an amazing game now that this beta test is out of the way. The season pass was also very insulting for Horizon. I feel bad for the people that supported that $50.00 season pass. Ouch. The less people that support that, the more likely the next season pass wont be priced so high. As DD said, if you want to show how you do or do not support a product, you show that with your wallet. You cant buy every single dlc or season pass that comes out and still expect something to change. If you want something to change, keep your wallet closed. :sly:

I had fun with the Horizon rental and will buy this when the price drops to around $20-$25. Horizon 2 I expect to be an amazing game and hopefully will finally have weather effects too.

It seems to me GT5 became the victim of game industry politics or something like that. Good people walking out, or abandoning the project, not happy with the rewards and/or compensation etc. Because there's no way a project that started so ambitiously on the PS1, turned out this way on current gen. It's gotta be industry politics. Either that, or PD has run out of ideas, probably as a result of living on borrowed time and sitting on their laurels for too long.

Horizon.. seemed like an experiment yes, I've sensed that as well. Just to see how the Forza community reacts. Well, they got their reaction for sure, and Horizon 2 on next-gen will certainly have something for everybody, and indeed some very interesting prospects.

And if the product still disappoints you, I say let your wallet do the talking.
End of story. Good day!

I agree about GT5. I think marketing took over or Sony or something happend to force them to release an unfinished game. For it to be in production 5-6 years and come out only about 20% complete, just doesnt make sense for someone as passionate about cars as KY is. Granted he is known for massive delays in games. But people must have left, money must have been short. Something happened to that series, and it wasnt good at all. To take a massive step backward after that much time is a huge bummer. I was a massive GT fan. I own every single GT game including the PAL and JPN versions of the Prologues. I would honestly put GT5 up there as one of the largest disappointments in my gaming history. Especially since I was such a huge fan. The main problem they have is their company is just not big enough and they need to outsource more. Until that happens, their expectations of 1000+ premium cars is years away. In fact its not even going to happen on the PS3 and most of us know that. Such a shame to see such a great series go downhill.

Back on topic. Really looking forward to see how Horizon 2 comes out in, my guess, 2014. I am guessing they will do a Forza 1 year then Horizon the following year. Basically some sort of Forza every single year. Similar to what COD does. I really think Horizon 2 will be a much better game.

Far too many cons outwight the pros for this game. Map is way too small to start with along with no tuning setups. Its a fun beta for the open world introduction for Forza. But this is only a test.
Are you actually comparing Horizon's map to other maps, or are you making an assumption based on that erroneously high "200 square mile" measurement of Paradise City? In reality Burnout Paradise was, at most, half the size of Horizon. You're free to think the map is too small, but the least you can do is ground that point on the basis of fact.

I don't know why you're sore about it. Horizon is an Xbox 360 game on a plain DVD. It's also hand-crafted, while FUEL is a rough-edged, auto-generated, low-bandwidth spaghetti pile of roads, and TDU is a sparse, lumpy mound of mediocrity with a terrain polygon count reminiscent of Star Fox SNES. Hot Pursuit is a superfreeway rollercoaster, Burnout Paradise is an awkward tangle of crash opportunities, Midnight Club hews to urban grids, and the NFS maps from Underground 2 to Undercover consisted of blatant racecourses masquerading as the most ludicrous "streets" you'll ever see. Apart from the replay value of FUEL's massiveness, I think Horizon's map beats everything else.

I'll accept that "beta" comment, if only because I think it's amusing that a "beta test" is hands-down the best and most rewarding Forza game I've ever played. I guess PG really shamed T10 on that one. :lol:

and TDU is a sparse, lumpy mound of mediocrity with a terrain polygon count reminiscent of Star Fox SNES.

Just a little hyperbole used there:lol:

Or you seriously need to get your vision checked

StarFox SNES:

StarFoxNoUpres.png

Terrain in TDU2:

TDU2-Mclaren-MP4-12C-image.jpg

Please avoid making moronic statements like that in the future, It makes your whole post not even credible. And honestly, we get it, you think Horizon is the greatest game ever, but I would bet the majority here would all agree that FM4 is the better game.

Who cares? Honestly don't see why it matters how many people like which game better. The answer to the thread title in question is going to be different for each person for different reasons. There's never going to be one true answer. It's all down to individual opinions.

^ Yeah, so in my opinion FM4 is better than FH. If others like FH than okay... I do like Forza Horizon but I just think FM4 is better.

That's one thing that's been in the back of my head. Both games are obviously not targeting the same audience.

I would agree with that to a point. I don't find myself comparing the core gameplay of FM4 to Horizon as they are way different. The only things I would compare are the overall longevity of each game, basically, replay value, and things like Replays. To Horizon's credit, I haven't touched FM4 since I started playing it. Horizon has kept me very entertained, and I'm still looking forward to the Rally pack. Even if it isn't going to be integrated into the existing map, it still sounds like good fun. The off road terrain changes will be welcomed and 20 more events will add more content to the game.

I would agree with that to a point. I don't find myself comparing the core gameplay of FM4 to Horizon as they are way different. The only things I would compare are the overall longevity of each game, basically, replay value, and things like Replays. To Horizon's credit, I haven't touched FM4 since I started playing it. Horizon has kept me very entertained, and I'm still looking forward to the Rally pack. Even if it isn't going to be integrated into the existing map, it still sounds like good fun. The off road terrain changes will be welcomed and 20 more events will add more content to the game.

With this logic you can compare any game to another based on replay value. Yet comparing Halo and a racing game doesn't make much sense. Thats why when it comes to Horizon Vs. FM4 it's down to personal preference like Halo vs a racing game. It's really hard to argue one is better than the other. Not trying to be a jerk. :)

Please avoid making moronic statements like that in the future, It makes your whole post not even credible. And honestly, we get it, you think Horizon is the greatest game ever, but I would bet the majority here would all agree that FM4 is the better game.
Hey man, sorry for having fun with a transparently hyperbolic joke, but I wouldn't say it if there wasn't a point behind it. I would bet the majority here would all agree that TDU has jagged roads that toss your car around as you roll over polygon edges. I don't remember how well TDU2 improved upon that, but in the first game it was awful. You could hardly track a straight line down some of the highways. Exciting, but pretty ridiculous.

As MuoNiuLa pointed out, this thread asks us if we think Horizon is the best Forza, so for me to make that statement is entirely on-topic. I actually think Enthusia Professional Racing is the greatest racing game ever.

I still don't think its really fair to even compare the games.
You mean like complaining about the shortened car list, altered physics, and lack of tuning, when Horizon has 100+ more cars than most other games of its type, the most realistic physics of any open road racer, and a robust parts/customization system that puts the likes of Hot Pursuit '10 or Most Wanted '12 to shame?

I agree, a different perspective helps.

With this logic you can compare any game to another based on replay value. Yet comparing Halo and a racing game doesn't make much sense. Thats why when it comes to Horizon Vs. FM4 it's down to personal preference like Halo vs a racing game. It's really hard to argue one is better than the other. Not trying to be a jerk. :)

I know, and I understand what you are getting at there. I do think it's fair to compare replays from one racing game to another racing game though. I enjoy watching replays in FM4 more than Horizon because the angles and views look better.

You mean like complaining about the shortened car list, altered physics, and lack of tuning, when Horizon has 100+ more cars than most other games of its type, the most realistic physics of any open road racer, and a robust parts/customization system that puts the likes of Hot Pursuit '10 or Most Wanted '12 to shame?

I agree, a different perspective helps.

Exactly! If they wanted us to believe that we were playing a similar game that we could compare they would have called it Forza Motorsport Horizon. But they didn't. Dropping the word Motorsport should be your first warning that you're not playing the predecessor to FM4.

I know, and I understand what you are getting at there. I do think it's fair to compare replays from one racing game to another racing game though. I enjoy watching replays in FM4 more than Horizon because the angles and views look better.
Wait, you're talking about watching actual replays in-game? I thought you were speaking of replay value, can't say I spend much time watching replays :lol:

Hey man, sorry for having fun with a transparently hyperbolic joke, but I wouldn't say it if there wasn't a point behind it. I would bet the majority here would all agree that TDU has jagged roads that toss your car around as you roll over polygon edges. I don't remember how well TDU2 improved upon that, but in the first game it was awful. You could hardly track a straight line down some of the highways. Exciting, but pretty ridiculous.

No big deal, at least I know you weren't serious. Enthusia, now there's a game I haven't heard mentioned in a long time. I never did get around to playing it, but a lot of people really loved that game. And from what I heard, Konami did a really great job with it.

I agree about TDU, but it was made in 2006, it wasn't too bad for an open world game in it's day. It basically looked like a last gen game and it was really the first major racing title on the 360. TDU2 looks a lot smoother but the frame rate suffers more for it.

I do agree that Horizon is a great and different game, and sorry for my rudeness. Theres just isn't anything else in the game I could do but paint my cars, so that's why I thought FM4 was greater, although I stopped playing that months ago too. :P

No big deal, at least I know you weren't serious. Enthusia, now there's a game I haven't heard mentioned in a long time. I never did get around to playing it, but a lot of people really loved that game. And from what I heard, Konami did a really great job with it.
Nah, I was six years old when Star Fox was released. I remember. :cheers:

I still play Enthusia because it still nails a few aspects of handling down better than GT5/FM4/FH (some details go the other way). The graphics and sound weren't class-leading, but it had spiffy special effects, and it beat the pants off of GT4 with its recorded engines. It's a charmingly quirky game, with an eclectic car list that includes seldom-seen '60s/'70s Japanese classics, an in-house "videogame music" style soundtrack, and a career mode that genuinely rewards hard-earned 2nd or 3rd place finishes.

Horizon carries over some of FM4's "easy driving" issues, so it doesn't quite click the way Enthusia does for me. I guess the reason I've been driving the Rufs/Beetle/595 a lot is because they keep things interesting.

Even just playing the demo, I can tell Forza 4 is better. To me, FH is on par with TDU2. There are some things that are better with FH, but...as far as fun and playability...it's TDU2. I'm sure it's fun to just cruise around with Forza cars and stuff, but, in the end, it feels like a Driver/PGR/Dirt game, which is because the creators of Driver, PGR and Dirt worked on the game, and in the end, their reputation proceeds them. And in the end, it's more, to me, on par with Driver San Fran...like Driver: Forza Festival.

But, it's fun nonetheless (and really, Driver San Fran still has better physics)

Back