Are you faster with traction control on or off?

• Thread starter varmintx
  • 7 comments
It depends on how good of a driver you are, how sophisticated the system is, and to some extent, the conditions.

Highly advanced systems like those used by Lotus and Ferrari are sophisticated enough that virtually any driver would be quicker on a circuit with them turned on, though.

On the other hand, I've driven cars like the Mitsubishi L200, where the TC and stability control are basically just designed to cut in as soon as an unloaded rear wheel gets close to slipping, which is actually quite often. It's so over-protective that it can actually make you slower where you really need to be quicker on the road, like pulling out of a junction onto a faster road. Or there's the Smart Fortwo's system, which is deliberately set with low limits to stop you falling over at high limits.

There are also two sides to it - the "right, this system is getting my my way" side and the "woah, I'm glad this thing had DSC right there" side. I've experienced both in the same car before, so overall DSC is probably a good thing.

I usually leave it on in my car unless the conditions are right for the type of driving I want to be doing, the roads are empty, and I am fully aware of my surroundings or in a closed environment.

In normal situations, it should be on IMO and I really don't understan people who have it off all the time as there really is no need.

As for being faster then I guess I could squeeze a bit more out of it in the track but in normal roads as I'm never going 10/10ths then I just leave it on unless I'm doing a bit of hoonage in an empty place.

No doubt ABS and traction/stability control can make you faster/better in controlled conditions, depending on how good the system is like hfs said, and they offer valuable assistance to inexperienced or unskilled drivers. But personally, the last thing I want in any sensitive driving situation is a blind computer interrupting me with what it has "guessed" is the best course of action.

I have a grudge against ABS after a minor accident in which I couldn't stop on a slick slope because locking the brakes was verboten. Nevermind the fact that I was able to stop the car with the handbrake on the same surface; unfortunately, I thought of that too late to prevent damage. I'd hardly ever driven a car with ABS before this one, and I had no idea it would throw me to the wolves like that. That first moment the ABS kicked in and I began accelerating was a real heart-pounder. Other braking experiences that first winter made me uncomfortable. :ill:

It's probably a different case for anyone who learned to drive with these technologies -- I drove for nearly 10 years without ABS, and I still haven't really driven anything with traction/stability control -- but I'd feel more comfortable with it all turned off. Since the accident I've unplugged the ABS fuse on my car, and I'll do the same with every car I own in the future.

I'm used to driving a car with no traction or stability control, just ABS. I've pushed it right past the limit into understeer several times, when it's been safe. It's a fun car, but at the limit it's very safe. I'm sure I'm faster without traction control, as I regularly hear the inside front tyre squeal as I'm accelerating thourgh a slow turn, usually from a stop. But if stability control woudl help rotate the car in cornering and alleviate the understeer, I might be quicker. Not that I need to be, the cornering speeds I acheive are pretty low, and that's good. It keeps it safe and legal, while still being fun.

Last edited:
Agree with HFS on it being a great, big Depends.

Balled up and wrapped, so you can't tell what's inside until you get your hands on it.

There are situations on track where you're glad for the assists. Heck, on a dry track, you always want ABS. (Whereas on a gravel track, you want it off)

But the effectiveness of TCS and ESC are dependent on many factors. You don't necessarily want TCS on cars with very little power or which suffer from bog on corner exits. And most everyday ESC systems are not very good. There are some cars we've tested that are faster with it off.

The 86/FRS is a special case. The grip limits of the car are so low compared to what the chassis can handle that keeping the ESC on keeps it happy. But it still slows you down in certain, tighter turns, where it should let you slide a little bit to get the car pointed where you want. We did slaloms wit the GT86 with ESC on and off. On, it was more steady, more stable and... slower. Off, the car was quicker, but it was very difficult to be consistent.

Over a dozen laps, or maybe a hundred, you will be more consistent with the ESC. And on the street, however fast or slow ESC makes you, it's better to lose a little speed in a turn here or there than to lose traction and enter terminal understeer or oversteer at the most inopportune times...

Back