ARL SHENANIGANS

• Thread starter Jw_wk1010
  • 1,308 comments
Sending a shout out to @Ryan Kirk for sending me my newest addition to the HRC Zippo collection, Denver! Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated!
Not sure what I did or how I deserve to be associated with such a great group of guys (and gal), but I appreciate all of you and the support you have given the ARL over the last year. What a great group of people you all are.

hrc3.jpg

hrc1.jpg

Just curious, how did you start collecting lighters of all things? Not dissing it, most collections are of seemingly nondescript things but they hold personal value. Mine is comic books and I think it's starting to be sunglasses too.

Sending a shout out to @Ryan Kirk for sending me my newest addition to the HRC Zippo collection, Denver! Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated!
Not sure what I did or how I deserve to be associated with such a great group of guys (and gal), but I appreciate all of you and the support you have given the ARL over the last year. What a great group of people you all are.

View attachment 866019

View attachment 866020
So cool! And you’re right...this is an amazing group!

Just curious, how did you start collecting lighters of all things? Not dissing it, most collections are of seemingly nondescript things but they hold personal value. Mine is comic books and I think it's starting to be sunglasses too.
Started when we went to Las Vegas in November of 1995. My wife is a Hard Rock Cafe pin collector, so during our stay we visited both locations in Vegas. At the Hotel, they have a live music venue called The Joint. As we were looking around the gift shop for her pins I wandered off to look on my own. I saw The Joint Zippo (top row middle) in a display case. Being a smoker, I thought to myself I’d like to have that. So I bought two, one to use and one to keep. When we got home I placed the one to keep on my dresser and kind of forgot about it.
On our next visit to a Hard Rock Cafe the Mrs. was looking at pins. When she finished she asked me if I was going to get a lighter. (New Orleans). Since that time it has become our tradition to get her pins and me Zippo lighters at every HRC we visit. I have also been very fortunate to have some really good people contribute to my collection along the way, the latest two being @GTP_Guido and Ryan

Man. Poor Albon today. Did you hear Pierre’s radio when he crossed the line. I could imagine having the same elation after having out drag raced the champ in his Benz. F1 race was pretty good.
Congrats to verstappen.
Same to KB. Was rooting for MTJ but KB is one fast mofo!

Man. Poor Albon today. Did you hear Pierre’s radio when he crossed the line. I could imagine having the same elation after having out drag raced the champ in his Benz. F1 race was pretty good.
Congrats to verstappen.
Same to KB. Was rooting for MTJ but KB is one fast mofo!
I got to see highlights man that was crazy, Ferrari looked like racing point at the end and I agree on gasly

agree, looking forward to the new changes, i also know nascar is about ovals, but i kinda wish they would look at how indy divides up its calendar and do something more akin to that... maybe not so many street races..... but, im sure everyone would love a handful more (natural) road courses... also... more f'ng short tracks... and not just martinsville or bristol one more time a year....

agree, looking forward to the new changes, i also know nascar is about ovals, but i kinda wish they would look at how indy divides up its calendar and do something more akin to that... maybe not so many street races..... but, im sure everyone would love a handful more (natural) road courses... also... more f'ng short tracks... and not just martinsville or bristol one more time a year....

More road courses is definitely on their mind. Watkins Glen being the only track on the circuit that sells out every year is something they can’t ignore. I think they’re going to start building a lot more Rovals. NASCAR and the track owners are all in it together so neither one of them want to see these big ovals get shut down. Only makes sense going forward to make each oval have its own unique roval configuration. I couldn’t believe that Indy decided to abandon Pocono completely instead of trying to throw in a few chicanes on the long straights. I also think they need to start running more dirt races like the truck series does at Eldora. Charlotte is another dirt track that has the seating capacity to do so.

More road courses is definitely on their mind. Watkins Glen being the only track on the circuit that sells out every year is something they can’t ignore. I think they’re going to start building a lot more Rovals. NASCAR and the track owners are all in it together so neither one of them want to see these big ovals get shut down. Only makes sense going forward to make each oval have its own unique roval configuration. I couldn’t believe that Indy decided to abandon Pocono completely instead of trying to throw in a few chicanes on the long straights. I also think they need to start running more dirt races like the truck series does at Eldora. Charlotte is another dirt track that has the seating capacity to do so.

i dont think chicanes on the straights were the only things needed... was hoping the aero screens would keep them racing threre... i think they are more afraid of sending one into the stands then anything. wickens wasnt the only bad wreck, he just got the bad end of it all. at the same time i dont think you can really attribute Justin Wilsons death specifically to that track/layout. but man some big wrecks happen there... i wont forget the feeling in my stomach watching Wickens in that pre race interview... he was asked by jon beekus "are you desperate get your first win in indy car after being so close so many times this season?" and his reply was "i wouldnt say im desperate... well, That desperate...." then gave basic race car driving answer
then too see his wreck on what was it lap 3-4? i just didnt feel that stage of the race needed that aggression (sitting on my couch watching that is). its awesome to watch his recovery that is for sure.

i like the road-val concept, and hope other tracks can figure out an exciting race... i starter working at Panoz Racing School at TexasMotorSpeedway during tms's brief stint into hosting ALMS events and the texas roval is lacking to say the least. and i love that track cause its where i learned how to race, but felt/feel it could never host a real race and ever have anyone take it seriously... i think i just wanna see them run all the road courses the xfinity guys run...

Back