ARRGH! Corvette Grand Sport slips away from me!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anderton Prime
  • 50 comments
  • 4,102 views
live4speed
The C4 was a typo, I meant C5, as for the Grand sport correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't been in one but they're based on the same car in the Corvette coupe which isn't a fixed top coupe, as a result like the Coupe it suffers from a softer chassis which in turn affects the cars handling. So please enlighten me why my post stinks of ignorance when it's not unknown to the car world that the C5 Corvettes (barring the Z06 which IS a true fixed coupe) don't handle as well as cars like the Mazda MX5 (okay bad example since thats a very very good handling car) but cars like the Griffith or S2000 are better handling cars than the Corvette.

A fixed roof is not a prerequisite for a good handling car, sure it helps, but its not the holy grail. The Grand Sport, the C5, and the new C6 all handle well without a fixed roof.
 
Well I can't give a personal opinion on that since I've not driven any of thoes cars, but media coverage on them over here says the Corvette isn't that good and the chassis feels too soft ect and ofcourse not including the Z06, thats what I'm basing my opinion on, however the C6 was applauded and TopGear praised it's handling despite it using leaf springs which work well on that car. The C6 also posted a decent time round the TopGear track. I guess the US media will always give US cars higher praise and the European media will always give ours higher praise, in general ofcourse.
 
live4speed
Well I can't give a personal opinion on that since I've not driven any of thoes cars, but media coverage on them over here says the Corvette isn't that good and the chassis feels too soft ect and ofcourse not including the Z06, thats what I'm basing my opinion on, however the C6 was applauded and TopGear praised it's handling despite it using leaf springs which work well on that car. The C6 also posted a decent time round the TopGear track.


The media in the UK has always been terribly biased against the Corvette, I've seen some of the worst Corvette reviews come from UK media. I have no idea why they hate the Corvette so much but its a fact that the UK has NOTHING that can touch the Corvette in its price range. The C5 Z06 is a world class sports car, it even approaches supercar territory for half or even one third the price and the C6 Z06 is certainly going to be in supercar territory for sure.

I apologize for sounding rude earlier, you seem to be a sensible person, just misinformed that's all. Having owned 3 other Corvette's prior to my current 2003 Z06 I can tell you that each generation is certainly better in handling, except the C6 to this point which doesn't look to be any better than the C5 which is still nothing to be ashamed of since its a fantastic car to begin with. The biggest downfall with the Grand Sport isn't the open roof, its the chassis which dates back to 1984, minor improvents were made each year but it will still using 80's technology and design. The Grand Sport wasn't a bad handling car at all, I certainly wouldn't put it on par with a C5 and certainly not a Z06 which is just flat awesome.
 
Blkout
The media in the UK has always been terribly biased against the Corvette, I've seen some of the worst Corvette reviews come from UK media. I have no idea why they hate the Corvette so much but its a fact that the UK has NOTHING that can touch the Corvette in its price range. The C5 Z06 is a world class sports car, it even approaches supercar territory for half or even one third the price and the C6 Z06 is certainly going to be in supercar territory for sure.

I apologize for sounding rude earlier, you seem to be a sensible person, just misinformed that's all. Having owned 3 other Corvette's prior to my current 2003 Z06 I can tell you that each generation is certainly better in handling, except the C6 to this point which doesn't look to be any better than the C5 which is still nothing to be ashamed of since its a fantastic car to begin with. The biggest downfall with the Grand Sport isn't the open roof, its the chassis which dates back to 1984, minor improvents were made each year but it will still using 80's technology and design. The Grand Sport wasn't a bad handling car at all, I certainly wouldn't put it on par with a C5 and certainly not a Z06 which is just flat awesome.

No problem mate, since you've owned a few Corvettes I can see you have a good grounds for your opnion. As for there not being any cars in the UK that can offer that performance for the money, hell even Corvettes are expensive over here :lol:. But two names for you, TVR and Marcos, other than that it's upto you, me and the other fella to make up his own mind which cars he prefers.
 
live4speed
No problem mate, since you've owned a few Corvettes I can see you have a good grounds for your opnion. As for there not being any cars in the UK that can offer that performance for the money, hell even Corvettes are expensive over here :lol:. But two names for you, TVR and Marcos, other than that it's upto you, me and the other fella to make up his own mind which cars he prefers.



Well, a base C5 Corvette here was about $42,000, a Z06 was about $54,000, I know the import rates make it difficult to compare the two, but I'm pretty certain that TVR doesn't make anything in the $50,000 price range that will touch a Z06. I don't know of Marcos, but my first question would be, are they street cars, or just "street legal" cars, or are they designed for racing?


And keep in mind a C5 Z06 makes 405hp, gets 17/26mpg, weighs only 3070lbs, will do the 1/4 mile in the low 12's @ 115-117mph, slalom over 70mph and will pull over 1g on the skidpad. And that's a production vehicle with all creature comforts like dual zone climate control and heads up display.
 
Anderton Prime
Please elaborate...I'm intrigued!

Nevermind...found out what they are...good luck with that!!


Thanks dude I think Im going to need it :)👍
 
Marcos's are lightweight British sportscars, similar to TVR but not as well established. TVR wise we could get the T350C fo £30-£35k which is roughly $55-$60k that has 350Bhp and weighs 1000kg or 2200lbs which is 350Bhp/ton as opposed to 290Bhp/ton for the Vette. Then theres the Cerbea's which star at around the same price and the Tamora, same power and weight as the T350 but is cheaper. TVR's though don't have any luxuries, they have nice looking interiors and good seats but no climate control ect. Britis sportscars rarely include thoes things, your looking more at a Jag XK8 to include that, but the XK8 isn't a car that tries to beat sportscars, the XK-R does but thats pricey since your paying for the Jaguar badge.
 
live4speed
Marcos's are lightweight British sportscars, similar to TVR but not as well established. TVR wise we could get the T350C fo £30-£35k which is roughly $55-$60k that has 350Bhp and weighs 1000kg or 2200lbs which is 350Bhp/ton as opposed to 290Bhp/ton for the Vette. Then theres the Cerbea's which star at around the same price and the Tamora, same power and weight as the T350 but is cheaper. TVR's though don't have any luxuries, they have nice looking interiors and good seats but no climate control ect. Britis sportscars rarely include thoes things, your looking more at a Jag XK8 to include that, but the XK8 isn't a car that tries to beat sportscars, the XK-R does but thats pricey since your paying for the Jaguar badge.



I see. Good info, thanks. If you ever get a chance to drive a Corvette, do it. And if you ever have to kill someone for a ride in a Z06, its worth it. :)
 
most deffinatly. 👍 I'm tired of ignorant noobs insulting the corvette.
 
Corvette sucks, Skyline rocks!!..... joke... I am quite an admirer of the Corvette. :)

I remember when I was in the Canada in 1994, a friend of ours owns a big wreaking yard and a brand new Corvette ZR1 came in smashed (sad sight), our friend was real excited to have this new ZR1 motor, but then we found a hole in the block :(.

I am really looking forward to collecting all the Corvettes in GT4.
 
Heh, I saw the Grand Sport, but then I decided no, and bought my self a brand new Ford GT. :sly:
 
You know, that Ford GT is possibly (in MY view) the best car ever made ever.

I love that thing to death. I can't wait to get it in GT4 :D
 
Blkout
Nope, not in the US version, it doesn't come around until about the 230-260 day or so, don't remember the exact day. Trust me, I checked every 7 days, the US version is different.


Actually I saw it about day 130 or so. The day isn't exact. It could be anywhere from day 100 to 160.
I'm not joking. I did. Corvette Grand Sport. The blue one.
The SVT Cobra Mustang '00 is listed "sep8th" the first time you cycle the US one. So is the SilEighty. Ugly color on the SilEighty though.

I'm only on Sep8th the first time the lots cycle and I've seen all these cars so they have to be in there earlier than what you are all saying.
 
Laorin
You know, that Ford GT is possibly (in MY view) the best car ever made ever.

I love that thing to death. I can't wait to get it in GT4 :D

Wait until you acquire one in GT4 and try to drive it. The brakes and the steering are total kack, even after tuning.
 
Anderton Prime
Wait until you acquire one in GT4 and try to drive it. The brakes and the steering are total kack, even after tuning.
Yeah I noticed that when I was doing one of the driving missions - I think it was like 32 or something. I couldn't believe how utterly horrible the handling was. Very disappointing.
 
different cars require different techniqes to drive fast. Some people just dont know how to drive the grand sport and other cars with similar charateristics fast. :sly:
 
I have the Grand Sport in my garage, I will look when I get off of work, to let you know when it *should* reappear.

The SVT Cbora, I have seen in the car lots quite a few times.
 
Well, I based what I said on the fact that I had bought a few cars on the days that the Japanese guide said they would be there, most notably the '98 BMW M Coupe.

As an aside, two years ago I went to a local club race held by the local SCC at an airfield, a Grand Sport was racing in the unlimited class, and it won easily against some pretty stiff competitions including a WRX and some BMW's. I still remember the sound that the rocks were making as they flew into the wheel wells as they came off the slicks when it approached the start line cones... Got some video somewhere... :sly:
 
I got the Grand Sport finally and it's not the greatest handling car, I'll admit. But I'm sure I just need to play with the settings and I'll get it to its glorious GT3 level of floating like a butterfly whilst going like a raging bull.
 
Back