Artificially bloating the car list/The 200 new cars of GT6

• Thread starter Duphman
  • 73 comments

Should premium updates and "special edition/RM" cars count towards the

• Yes, they should since PD put work into them and should be acknowledged for it. For example, RMs ar

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • No, they should not. 200 isn't that large of a number when you consider it. Cars that should have

Votes: 108 73.0%

• Total voters
Even if 200 cars is really "only" 150 or so distinct new cars, that's still plenty.

And I'm not going to be disappointed if that's the case. I know the game. If I was developing a competing game, I would do the same. Likewise, I understand the considerations needed when establishing these so called racing car duplicates.

I don't understand why they don't delete the old standards that they updated with premium versions? e.g. Jaguar XJ9

I don't understand why they don't delete the old standards that they updated with premium versions? e.g. Jaguar XJ9

The XJ9 is DLC - would you rather just not have access to that car if you don't buy the pack?

In 6 however they really should remove the redundant cars that have been made premium.. at least I would hope so.

If the car is different it is different and should count, nothing artificial about it. All games count the number of cars they include and in some cases 2 cars are identical except with a different livery and still they count as 2.

I also do not get where people think there is a premium and standard of the "same car" I do not see this to be the case. They told us that all cars from GT5 would return but some that were standard before may be premium now and they are not going to include both versions just to add 1 to the car count. As for the Alpine isn't that one different than the one that is in the game now?

The RM cars are way different than the non RM versions, while technically it is the same car It is a different one as well. I do not have a problem if they are or are not included in the count as a separate car. GT has way more cars than any other game out there and I do not think they are trying to pump up the count just for advertising but rather because they see them as different cars.

The bottom line though us why should anyone care how they count the cars, there are a lot of cars and there will be more in GT6 than in GT5.

Honestly people need to stop complaining about the variants of cars I actually went out and tuned all the evos skylines ,rx7s and miatas and there all different

If the car is different it is different and should count, nothing artificial about it. All games count the number of cars they include and in some cases 2 cars are identical except with a different livery and still they count as 2.

I also do not get where people think there is a premium and standard of the "same car" I do not see this to be the case. They told us that all cars from GT5 would return but some that were standard before may be premium now and they are not going to include both versions just to add 1 to the car count. As for the Alpine isn't that one different than the one that is in the game now?

The RM cars are way different than the non RM versions, while technically it is the same car It is a different one as well. I do not have a problem if they are or are not included in the count as a separate car. GT has way more cars than any other game out there and I do not think they are trying to pump up the count just for advertising but rather because they see them as different cars.

The bottom line though us why should anyone care how they count the cars, there are a lot of cars and there will be more in GT6 than in GT5.

Would you say then that adding a new manufacturer like Porsche and say 10 cars would be the equal of taking 10 standard Skylines, S2000's and Miata's and making them premium because that's how they could be counted. Those two scenario's are not equal and it's deceptive to simply call cars that are now premium are "new" because they are not.

Cars upgraded to be premium should be called just that, "upgraded cars". A car that is new to the series is actually "new". There is a clear distinction or at least there should be.

Last edited:
The XJ9 is DLC - would you rather just not have access to that car if you don't buy the pack?

In 6 however they really should remove the redundant cars that have been made premium.. at least I would hope so.

If PD is smart, then all cars that were DLC in GT5 will be regular content in GT6 for ALL players to access.

Honestly people need to stop complaining about the variants of cars I actually went out and tuned all the evos skylines ,rx7s and miatas and there all different

Making up differences to justify their inclusion as separate models when those differences shouldn't be there doesn't count as them all being different. That just counts as inaccurate modelling. And that's on the cars that PD actually faked differences on, as opposed to the dozens where they didn't even do that much.

A car where the model year is different but nothing else is does not make a car unique compared to the Standard version; like with the Aston DB9, Ford GT, BMW M5 and Dodge Viper. And the Alpine they have shown off has an incorrect year for the model it is (the 1600S debuted in 1970, and would be identical to the one in the game), so it is unknown how that will slot in, but I would bet on them including both there as well.

Last edited:

...Really? You really want to try this BS when most of us have played the game and see the inaccuracy in that. I would hope you're not that naive to actually think that the cars are genuinely different when they aren't.

Also if you are basing "different" on R32 vs R33 vs R34 vs R35, you're doing it wrong.

So what will we end up with I wonder, 50-100 all new premium cars?

That, I'm afraid, might be a possibility. PD is probably going to count GT5 DLC cars and Premium upgrades as new models.

I'm not very happy with that idea, but if you think of it 50 to 100 cars is a good amount and it's usually what other car games offer as their car selection. That and with future DLC packs, we might have a healthy amount of NEW cars.

...Really? You really want to try this BS when most of us have played the game and see the inaccuracy in that. I would hope you're not that naive to actually think that the cars are genuinely different when they aren't.

Also if you are basing "different" on R32 vs R33 vs R34 vs R35, you're doing it wrong.

Well arnt you smart . For ex the 02 standard miatas one has a 1.6 the other has 1.8 you telling mw there the same. Obviously im not talking about the cars that have the exact same name and is the exact samentrim

Last edited:
Well arnt you smart . For ex the 02 standard miatas one has a 1.6 the other has 1.8 you telling mw there the same

Wow and yeah I'd consider myself smart since you just did what I described. Comparing a R32 v R34 is alright and akin to comparing a 1.8 L Miata vs 1.6 L Miata. Do you know why? Cause they are different cars

Maybe you should read a post, digest it, and then carefully walk the fine line of whether to comment due to actually understanding what has been said. I'll leave it there because I really don't want to come off rude or more rude if already so.

More importantly when we "complain", we are doing so about the numerous models that are exactly the same. You wouldn't say the MX-5 Miata J-Limited (NA, J) '91, MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91, Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91, Eunos Roadster S-Special I (NA) '91 are all different cars would you? And if so can you tell us why they are different?

Last edited:
This, in my opinion, is the most likely scenario for how they came up with 200 "new" cars:

All of the GT5 DLC-exclusive cars
20 brand new car models that weren't in GT5 at all (e.g. X-Bow, Deltawing)
50 new (2012/2013 year) models of cars that are in GT5
50 special edition/race car/RM/rally versions of cars that already exist
50 GT5 standard cars upgraded to premium

Wasn't there a thread about that? I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there a variation of problems with model specific cars? I'm pretty sure the special cars like the GT-R Nur edition and others like it weren't a problem, or were they? If you can tell him about what you're thinking - more like, what you know - maybe it'll save everybody time from arguing about what R34EVO9 doesn't get what you're talking/thinking about.

More importantly when we "complain", we are doing so about the numerous models that are exactly the same. You wouldn't say the MX-5 Miata J-Limited (NA, J) '91, MX-5 J-Limited (NA, J) '91, Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91, Eunos Roadster S-Special I (NA) '91 are all different cars would you? And if so can you tell us why they are different?

but...
I'll leave it there because I really don't want to come off rude or more rude if already so.
you went on ahead and...did what you did.

So,
If you can tell him about what you're thinking - more like, what you know - maybe it'll save everybody time from arguing about what R34EVO9 doesn't get what you're talking/thinking about.

Wasn't there a thread about that? I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there a variation of problems with model specific cars? I'm pretty sure the special cars like the GT-R Nur edition and others like it weren't a problem, or were they? If you can tell him about what you're thinking - more like, what you know - maybe it'll save everybody time from arguing about what R34EVO9 doesn't get what you're talking/thinking about.

but...

you went on ahead and...did what you did.

So,

I'm pretty sure I squared it away with my last post, there are far too many variations of one generation then need to be, that is the point I made and that is the point Toronado and others have made. The issue is R34EVO9 said something that makes all the cars even of same gen year different, when realistically most aren't which I proved. I don't see what your post added to help come closer to a understanding, other than being a pseudo mediator.

I went through the process of counting all of the "new" cars just to see where we are at. We are at 47 NEW cars (I didn't count the Alpine, the Countach, nor did I count the Nissan P92CP and the Bentley Speed 8 that allegedly have premium counterparts somewhere on Polyphony's servers). This is almost 25% of all the new cars for GT6.

This list has the following:
-The 3 Concours D'Elegance Polyphony Award winners.
-The 3 SEMA Best in Show Award winners.
-The 3 Tokyo Auto Salon Best in Show Award winners.
-The 13 New cars shown in the Silverstone, E3 and Goodwood demos.
-The 2 NSX Concepts (Acura and Honda) that were shown in their respective presentations
-The 7 new cars in Gamestops Pre-Order press release.
-The 13 real cars brought to the Silverstone event that also had a stat sheet placed in front of them made by Polyphony (which implies that PD has taken down the car's statistics). If you need an example, search pictures of the BMW M5 F10 and the Team Veloqx R8 that were at the event and look at the black sign in front of it.
-The 2 Hyundai's being photographed at Cobbs Performance California by Polyphony.
-The 1 car who must not be named at L.M. Gianetti

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I squared it away with my last post, there are far too many variations of one generation then need to be, that is the point I made and that is the point Toronado and others have made. The issue is R34EVO9 said something that makes all the cars even of same gen year different, when realistically most aren't which I proved. I don't see what your post added to help come closer to a understanding, other than being a pseudo mediator.
I missed it, can you spell it out for me? Why are those particular cars all the same and what are the flaws? I have an idea, but R34EVO9 doesn't.

Damn it. edit gone wrong

I went through the process of counting all of the "new" cars just to see where we are at. We are at 47 NEW cars (I didn't count the Alpine, the Countach, nor did I count the Nissan P92CP and the Bentley Speed 8 that allegedly have premium counterparts somewhere on Polyphony's servers). This is almost 25% of all the new cars for GT6.

This list has the following:

-The 7 new cars in Gamestops Pre-Order press release.
Including the C7? Unless we get it for GT5 beforehand (:(), I'd count that as a new car just like the protos.

Damn it. edit gone wrong

Including the C7? Unless we get it for GT5 beforehand (:(), I'd count that as a new car just like the protos.

I counted the C7 as one of the new cars in the Silvestone/E3/Goodwood demos. The car we got in Gran Turismo 5 was a pre-production prototype labeled the Corvette Stingray Final Prototype (C7) 2014.

I counted the C7 as one of the new cars in the Silvestone/E3/Goodwood demos. The car we got in Gran Turismo 5 was a pre-production prototype labeled the Corvette Stingray Final Prototype (C7) 2014.
Oh. So then, I assume that you're not counting the "Audi R8 LMS ultra 2012" since we've seen it during the 24 Hours of Nurburgring?

I just can't let this go (damn vanity). Pseudo mediator, my post added nothing, which is basically what you meant.

Well then, tell me, a dumb-dumb (me, not you :D), why the cars aren't different or are too similar. Why didn't you explain further after R34EVO9 pointed out exactly what you said not to use as a reason why the similar Standard models (even some of the Premium models, I'm saying now) are pointless, for lack of a better word. Why do some of those Standard models that are of the same generation have no value when looking at it from your perspective? I know there are others that can explain what I'm asking you to, so I really don't see a problem in them helping us resolve this issue.

I'm not saying R34EVO9 is right or completely wrong. I can recall a very specific thread, which I won't look for, that covered a ton of the inefficiencies those Standard/Premium cars have. I didn't partake because of the lack of knowledge that I have on the subject of...cars from an expert's, or mechanical?, point-of-view. Calling me a "fake" mediator doesn't do the justice of discussing and clarifying what I've now tried to explain specifically enough. Now, don't go all rude on me. I just want the truth. I can handle it, I know I can, I think I can, I think I can, CHOO CHOO motha:censored:.

Last edited:
He claimed:

There is some truth to that statement. The example he gave, of the Mazda 1600 R-A vs the Mazda 1800 RS, is a valid example of such. The overwhelming majority of the time the statement is false, which is why people complain of the variants so much. Sticking strictly to the example he used, there are 34 Miatas in the game. 22 of those are duplicates, and even within the 12 that are distinct cars (specifically, the JDM Roadsters) there is some overlap because most of those are special color/option packages rather than distinctly performing models. The J-Limited, J-Limited II, VR-Limited and V-Special in real life were nothing more than limited run colors with some special interior options applied to otherwise standard Miatas; so out of 34 cars there are only 7 distinct ones (the original 1989 model, the 1995 S-Special, the 1997 SR-Limited, the 1998 1.8RS, the 2000 1800RS, the 2004 1600 NR-A and the 2007 NC), plus a variant of your choosing to represent a "base" model of the 1.8 NA.

And the Miatas aren't even the worst example of it.

Last edited:
Seriously people are arguing as if PD actually counted the cars the way you want everyone to think. I'm still waiting for someone to reference PD saying a new car to GT and it was already in the game before...this thread is getting a bit out of hand with oddities coming up which usually show up in other threads(more than we need to count).

So first order of business get some proof to back up your claim that PD actually counts where a standard and a premium are counted as two separate cars, while you're at it don't use DLC as proof because that's just being ridiculous it was already within the game code who would waste time trying to remove it?
Talk about all the regional duplicate and special paint models was down to the fact that before GT5; painting your car was non existent so choose your arguments carefully, the regional was more or less for just having cars from the regions in there. Although they shouldn't necessarily be counted as separate model, that should be squared away for the next generation.

PD needs to change the way they have cars within dealerships each model should just have options to choose trim levels and special paints as well as engine options. PD has plenty of odd faults but I have yet to see them actually see a need to "pad" car count or to have identical cars and count them separately as different
cars and pass off cars already in GT game as "new" cars. We will see in the coming months now won't we, but for now this whole idea is odd since we have no evidence of them actually doing that aside from the multiple variations of cars from GT's gone by that never had color painting incorporated.

It's odd, because you've posted in the thread multiple times so you've clearly read it; but then you turn around and repeat the same things that have already been addressed or are currently being discussed anyway.

Last edited:
The J-Limited, J-Limited II, VR-Limited and V-Special in real life were nothing more than limited run colors with some special interior options applied to otherwise standard Miatas; so out of 34 cars there are only 7 distinct ones (the original 1989 model, the 1995 S-Special, the 1997 SR-Limited, the 1998 1.8RS, the 2000 1800RS, the 2004 1600 NR-A and the 2007 NC), plus a variant of your choosing to represent a "base" model of the 1.8 NA.

How the 1995 S-Special and 1997 SR-Limited different from the 1989 NA Roadster/Miata/MX-5? :confused:

They both have the 1.8L Mazda B engine as opposed to the 1.6 liter that the Miata originally had in 1989 (though all Miatas could be had with it after 1992).

The S-Special had a stiffer suspension setup with Bilstein shocks (I think they might have been adjustable too), aluminum wheels, stickier tires and some chassis reinforcement. It was roughly equivalent to the USDM R-Package, but it was a limited edition instead of an options group.

The SR-Limited had an LSD from the factory.

...I have yet to see them actually see a need to "pad" car count or to have identical cars and count them separately as different
cars and pass off cars already in GT game as "new" cars.

If you can't see it then us explaining it to you is hardly going to help.

If you can't see it then us explaining it to you is hardly going to help.

Show me in GT5 where they deliberately added cars twice to "pad" the car count. Every premium and standard duplicate is counted as a solitary car until DLC numbers changed things a bit. Only thing is PD never gave any other official number aside from what shipped in GT5 and that was 1031 cars all counted including the 39 duplicates which weren't counted as two cars but as one. Am I wrong in saying this or am I correct?

Show me in GT5 where they deliberately added cars twice to "pad" the car count.

Seriously? You're right, the premium and standard doubled cars were only counted as one car but holy crap did they pad the car list in general with dupes.

Show me in GT5 where they deliberately added cars twice to "pad" the car count.

Several examples have already been pointed out. That you said such a thing after saying this:

PD has plenty of odd faults but I have yet to see them actually see a need to "pad" car count or to have identical cars and count them separately as different
Just doubles the silliness.

Last edited:
Back