As a driver, what floats your boat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ikarys
  • 42 comments
  • 2,355 views

What type of racer are you?

  • I'm a time trialer - its all about the clock

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • I'm a racer - I drive to race and race to drive

    Votes: 49 39.2%
  • I'm a casual - I enjoy driving with others

    Votes: 26 20.8%
  • I'm a loner - I like driving by myself

    Votes: 13 10.4%
  • I'm weird - I do other stuff

    Votes: 13 10.4%

  • Total voters
    125
Messages
230
Messages
ikarys
I'm going to turn this into a poll.

Basically, when I race, be it in real life, or in game. I'm a time trialer. I get a thrill from beating both my times and my friends times. Overtaking cars is fun in racing, but its about the clock for me.

Some people get a thrill from racing.

Some people just like driving cars with other people.

Some people are soloists.

Some people are other (Please describe) kind of people.

Which are you?
 
Last edited:
Soloist, drive hard for my own pleasure
 
Ahh crap, I wrote loner in the poll :) Please don't take offense.
 
Ahh crap, I wrote loner in the poll :) Please don't take offense.

In real life when you have a car with 523bhp and only weighs 1270kg, rather pointless racing with anyone else ;)
 
In real life when you have a car with 523bhp and only weighs 1270kg, rather pointless racing with anyone else ;)

Hah I only have 250bhp and 1,405kg damnit! My WRXy needs some reflashing and a turbo back I think :)
 
It's all about the race for me. The thrill of catching uo to someone, passing them, and leaving them in the dust is great. Gotta love a good clean battle as well.
 
I prefer racing the classic cars, be it online or by myself...according to your poll that makes me "weird" :boggled:
 
Took on the Laguna endurance race today in a stock 97 Civic Type R just for the race battle, came 3rd in the end but battled it out the whole way. Great fun
 
In Gran Turismo its definetly time trials that do it for me, constantly pushing my car and my driving ability to the limit. Also I like changing the set up of the cars.
 
I really like racing my friends. It's great!!

However I think there are ... 2 different ways of approaching racing.

One is go under the limit and try to improve. The other is to go over the limit and try to improve.

I'm the latter and most of my friends are the former.

You are either one or the other, and I'm not sure there is a way to change.

The consequence of this is, I can beat their lap times, but they will beat me in a race.

I still try to drive clean, but consistency is not one of my talents.
 
Time trials, I guess... Always nice to compare your best efforts to someone else's.
I'm partially a loner, though. Not by choice, but... Well, can't really change it.

There's a bit of 'other' as well... As I enjoy photographing my car, so I sometimes drive/race exactly for that purpose:D
 
You also could've added drifting and drag racing. Two very popular types of driving online. Niether applies to me though; I like to race/time trial but only with friends/casual drivers. I put down "casual" because while I do enjoy competition, I don't take it very seriously and prefer to just have fun, semi-balanced races.
 
I'll change my answer a bit. I like the challenge of the car and the track, and I'm happy with that challenge no matter what atmosphere I'm in (time trial, race, casual race with friends, etc)
 
I like to make tracks in track generator with loads of corners e.g. Mt. Aso and just slowly drive and comment on the car like some sort of road test... I drive slowly and fast, high gear and low gear and just listen to sounds of the cars...

My way of relaxing...
 
It's all about the race for me. The thrill of catching uo to someone, passing them, and leaving them in the dust is great. Gotta love a good clean battle as well.

Good clean battles first; back and forth (position changes) racing; and the intensity that comes with staying ahead; or doggedly trying to find a place to overtake 👍 Oh, and all on real world track/circuits 👍

And all with real drivers, not with the A.I. (too easy) 👍
 
when i race either in real life or gt5 passing cars us what gives me a thrill so if my cars insanely fast in gt5 ill stay back to very last lap and challenge myself
 
I like racing....... Going balls out, scraping paint, hopping curbs. Thats why I dislike strongly those GT Rally events...... Scrape the wall = 5 seconds.
 
I like games where you can make custom cars *e.x. Midnight Club: LA* except there's no game with good graphics
 
i like driving for the satisfaction of showing skill.. brilliant car control (try making a stock F40 with no ABS hold a monster powerslide..just driving the car by itself is challenging..).. i love drifting in general..
 
The ultimate arbiter is the clock...post a lap then beat it...
 
I'm a lone wolf that loves racing (offline) & you could say time trial perfectionist (not the seasonal events though).

To explain... even in endurance races (4 hours Nurb, 9 Susuka, etc), I **always** try to beat my own time, trying different approach to curves, techniques, and how to save the tires at the same time if that's a problem in this particular car, etc. Makes the time go faster (for me) since I'm always trying something.

I also love racing with an underpowered car against Aspec racers to see how I can improve my techniques as well. Seasonal events are *great* for this and loving that... nothing beats winning a race with a stock version of the car required for the seasonal race :sly:.

Cheers,
 
My favorite part is smoking people online in my street cars while they run their race cars. I am a time lapper I can name times for 50 different cars on the nurb, I love pushing to the max, which is also why I can blow 15-20 second leads a lot because I don't slow down. Getting out front just means clean air for a faster lap to me lol.
 
I'm more of a casual driver.
 
I dont know about floating a boat, I want to know whats making my Integra float!

AutumnRing_4.jpg
 
RACER, cleand driver but also I dont mind metal against metal at high speed, drive hard stay clean lol
 
Back