Asseto Corsa using the DS4

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 37 comments

Pete05

Premium
Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hi,
I'm just wondering what AC is like using the DS4?

If anyone plays AC using just the DS4, what do you think?

I'll also be restricted to offline play only but can do game updates from somewhere 'online friendly'.

Is it all worth it or, am I asking for disappointment?

It gets the job done. Finding the edge of performance in this game is harder than in other console sims. It's more challenging than project cars for example. I have a disability so a game pad is the only thing I can really use and I play fine.

While a wheel is obviously better, Assetto Corsa plays perfectly fine with a DS4. It takes a little bit to get used to the steering because it is a little more sensitive than other games (I played with default settings on the DS4) but with a bit of practice it feels very natural.

If you do decide to pick the game up I highly suggest looking into the Season Pass as well. The Porsche 919 that was just released for consoles is one of the most fun cars I've ever driven in a sim, but there are plenty of other great cars that are included with the Season Pass as well.

Honestly I had it for two days and had to get a wheel to go with it. Project Cars was fine without a wheel but this just didnt feel quite right. With PCARS, F1 2016, DIRT Rally, Gran Turismo Sport and of course Assetto Corsa I decided now was a good time to grab a wheel as there's so many great driving games out at the moment.

I feel AC is more of a hot lapping game (just done 25 laps around Spa in the blink of an eye!) which are only generally fun when you've got a wheel. The other games are fine with a pad but AC I feel you need a wheel.

A wheel would be better, but i play every night with a DS4 with no problems. Even if i bought a new wheel I'd still play with a DS4 too because i like to kick back in my sofa and play it too. Just dont go in expecting it be like games made for a controller.

It takes a little bit to get used to the steering because it is a little more sensitive than other games (I played with default settings on the DS4) but with a bit of practice it feels very natural.

Fully agree with this summary, especially the last word - it plays quite different to other games and requires you to be particularly smooth with your steering inputs, but if you can manage that, personally I haven't played anything else that makes driving a car with a tiny stick and a couple of triggers feel just so natural.

I've been trying to work out recently why AC plays so different with a controller and I think the main thing is speed sensitivity is not well optimised (or just handled differently) - other games like GT, Dirt or F1 do a great job of restricting steering lock depending on your speed, even if you are pushing the analog stick all the way to the left/right. AC even at high speed sensitivity settings seems to not do this so much, and so it's easy to apply too much steering going into a corner and get boatloads of understeer. Here's an extreme example with one of the drift cars (not my video, on PC but with a gamepad I think)

It's not sensitive as in "twitchy" necessarily (the settings I use it's not that twitchy at all in fact), but more as in most of the time you're not using the full range of the analog stick, so you have to be very conscious of how much steering you're applying throughout each corner, and be smooth/progressive with your input. That's been my experience; once I could adjust it hasn't lessened my enjoyment of the game one bit. 👍 Hope that makes some sense.

Thank you all for your responses & feedback to my question. I really appreciate it.

I noticed a few of you mentioned using the analog stick for steering. Get ready to :eek: & :odd: but, in my whole 20 odd years of playing driving games on various PlayStations, I've always used the D-pad for steering.
I've tried other methods such as the analog stick but, old habits die hard & I am absolutely hopeless at it :dopey: :banghead:

Are the controller settings adjustable to a point where, using the D-pad won't render the game undrivable?

Thank you all for your responses & feedback to my question. I really appreciate it.

I noticed a few of you mentioned using the analog stick for steering. Get ready to :eek: & :odd: but, in my whole 20 odd years of playing driving games on various PlayStations, I've always used the D-pad for steering.
I've tried other methods such as the analog stick but, old habits die hard & I am absolutely hopeless at it :dopey: :banghead:

Are the controller settings adjustable to a point where, using the D-pad won't render the game undrivable?
You can't manually configure controls. There are a few different pre sets to choose from. I don't think you can use the dpad to steer. You couldn't when it first came out anyway. Don't know about now tnough.

You can't manually configure controls. There are a few different pre sets to choose from. I don't think you can use the dpad to steer. You couldn't when it first came out anyway. Don't know about now tnough.
IMG_0293.PNG

My brother does this too, i don't know why he didn't ditch dpad with the PS2. Told him for years "get with da program " (hint hint) . The stick makes so much more sense than Dpad. I don't think it's possible to use D-pad, also what better time to lget use to using the stick with a game where there's a learning curve anyway and you gotta get rid of old driving habits?

Perfectly playable but you're missing out on so much in terms of immersion and driving joy in particularly proper sims like Assetto Corsa (something like DriveClub arguably feels better on a DS4, or at least has underwhelming wheel implementation).

I haven't owned a wheel in the four years since I moved abroad (I'm ignoring the terrible Thrustmaster T100 that developed problems after two weeks and didn't feel very good even before that) but I just picked up an also modestly priced T150 yesterday and suddenly hotlapping in Assetto Corsa is pure bliss and I'm wondering how I managed to play racing games for four years without really missing the wheels I had previously owned (various Logitechs, including a G25 for 6+ years).

As far as using a controller for racing games, I've never been able to use the D-pad, nor have I ever tried very hard since I saw no reason to opt for digital over analogue steering input. I use left analogue stick for steering and typically right stick for throttle and braking (or throttle and then braking on L2) - though skipping the common R2 for throttle is primarily because of wrist issues that flare up now and then with overuse.

Just checked and no. You can't use dpad to steer. There are 6 pre sets to choose from that switch various controls around.
Well that's just popped my balloon properly :irked:
Unless they give me that option in an update, AC is off the list.
I've got a Logitech Driving Force GT for my PS3 but, that's not compatible with a PS4 :banghead: & I can't justify the outlay for a PS4, AC & a new wheel/pedal bundle just so I can play AC.
I have to wonder how many people have bought the game expecting the D-pad to be an option for steering?
To give you an idea of my technique, I can do countless laps of Daytona oval on GT6 without dabbing away at the D-pad by using gradual pressure on the button. Same goes for the X button for acceleration & the [] for braking.
Perfectly playable but you're missing out on so much in terms of immersion and driving joy in particularly proper sims like Assetto Corsa (something like DriveClub arguably feels better on a DS4, or at least has underwhelming wheel implementation).

I haven't owned a wheel in the four years since I moved abroad (I'm ignoring the terrible Thrustmaster T100 that developed problems after two weeks and didn't feel very good even before that) but I just picked up an also modestly priced T150 yesterday and suddenly hotlapping in Assetto Corsa is pure bliss and I'm wondering how I managed to play racing games for four years without really missing the wheels I had previously owned (various Logitechs, including a G25 for 6+ years).

As far as using a controller for racing games, I've never been able to use the D-pad, nor have I ever tried very hard since I saw no reason to opt for digital over analogue steering input. I use left analogue stick for steering and typically right stick for throttle and braking (or throttle and then braking on L2) - though skipping the common R2 for throttle is primarily because of wrist issues that flare up now and then with overuse.
I've tried different methods over the years when playing at friend's houses but, as I said earlier, old habits die hard :indiff:

I've got a Logitech Driving Force GT for my PS3 but, that's not compatible with a PS4 :banghead: & I can't justify the outlay for a PS4, AC & a new wheel/pedal bundle just so I can play AC.
I have to wonder how many people have bought the game expecting the D-pad to be an option for steering?
To give you an idea of my technique, I can do countless laps of Daytona oval on GT6 without dabbing away at the D-pad by using gradual pressure on the button. Same goes for the X button for acceleration & the [] for braking.

I've tried different methods over the years when playing at friend's houses but, as I said earlier, old habits die hard :indiff:
The DS3 has analogue buttons so that was feasable. The DS4 is digital only on buttons with analogue triggers.

I played GT1,2,3,4 and part of GT5P with a pad, analogue sticks though, and then switched to DFGT. Used that in GT5P, 5 and 6. Now I find I can't drive with a pad anymore. It sucks that you can't configure the controls to suit youself but that's the way it is.

The DS3 has analogue buttons so that was feasable. The DS4 is digital only on buttons with analogue triggers.

I played GT1,2,3,4 and part of GT5P with a pad, analogue sticks though, and then switched to DFGT. Used that in GT5P, 5 and 6. Now I find I can't drive with a pad anymore. It sucks that you can't configure the controls to suit youself but that's the way it is.
:eek: :confused: I cannot believe Sony has taken a back step and made the DS4 D-pad digital only. What the...
DS3 was analog so why not keep that technology available?

I was OK on GT6 with the pad (c.1s a minute of off my wheel pace, and an OK drifter), but the couple of times I've tried AC I couldn't keep the car in a straight line :lol:

Steering is super sensitive.

Same issue, however i found 2 solutions:

- GIMX, an DIY adapter that emulates the DFGT as a G29 (should be around 40-50bucks for all parts)
- CronusMAX, an already made adapter that does the same as GIMX (around 60bucks)

https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://cronusmax.com/

It shouldn't take that long to break the habbit if you just do it. You actually have 3 options.

Option 1. Buy a wheel.

Option 2. As @PinKPanther suggested.

Option 3. Sticks.

Option 4. (bonus option) look into the new Nacon controller and Hori which are both completey remapable. Between £30-£90.
I was OK on GT6 with the pad (c.1s a minute of off my wheel pace, and an OK drifter), but the couple of times I've tried AC I couldn't keep the car in a straight line :lol:

Steering is super sensitive.
Did you try it pre 1.10 firmware? It was terrible. Or default 1.10 to current? Because thats not good either. The sensitivity is easy to dial out.

Same issue, however i found 2 solutions:

- GIMX, an DIY adapter that emulates the DFGT as a G29 (should be around 40-50bucks for all parts)
- CronusMAX, an already made adapter that does the same as GIMX (around 60bucks)

https://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://cronusmax.com/
I think it's possible to do it cheaper .

I bought the game assuming control layout could be mapped too and was gutted to find it wasn't!

Completely understand about the feel you get on d pad steering especially when using triggers for manual gears.

I ended up selling the game as I lost patience waiting for a patch that never came

But....if the rumoured custom championship arrives and they do then let us map the controller layout I'll be able to sink myself into this finally

I bought the game assuming control layout could be mapped too and was gutted to find it wasn't!

Completely understand about the feel you get on d pad steering especially when using triggers for manual gears.

I ended up selling the game as I lost patience waiting for a patch that never came

But....if the rumoured custom championship arrives and they do then let us map the controller layout I'll be able to sink myself into this finally
I'll bet you're not the only one that's had this rude shock.

A huge mistake on the part of the Dev with this one.

On the latest blog entry they mention working on the controller and i interpreted it as custom button mapping, so fingers crossed because there's a lot of fun to be had with some of the cars in AC.

I'll bet you're not the only one that's had this rude shock.

A huge mistake on the part of the Dev with this one.
It's a shame PS4 custom settings dont let you remap the sticks either.

On the latest blog entry they mention working on the controller and i interpreted it as custom button mapping, so fingers crossed because there's a lot of fun to be had with some of the cars in AC.

It's a shame PS4 custom settings dont let you remap the sticks either.
They should take a hint from Codemasters & let you assign what you want where you want it.
Surely it's not that hard :odd:

Back