Assetto Corsa AI

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 84 comments
Well I saw Stefano’s show. The guy really knows how to play a guitar. I understand now why the AC sounds are so nice. The man have ears. It seems, nevertheless, he’s the one man band at Kuno’s and is highly strung by the critics, some fair most not. Anyway I’d rather see him fencing, and mastering, his own AI than playing guitar which there are thousands of anonymous players that play, if not better, just like he does. He shall figure if he wants to be in business for real and for long, selling his DLC packs, and future iterations, he’d better stop playing the “Prima donna” act “Oh, if you don’t like it may be it’s not for you” and listen to the constructive critics, because Gran Turismo Sport, late as it is, someday will arrive and, then, may be it’s physics engine is on pair with Kuno’s, PCars 2 will came along with it’s bugs fixed and laser scanned tracks, or the praised RFactor may grow it’s eyes on the fat console Cashland market, and customers will certainly remember his words, because we, the customers, the ones he says his product may not be for us, are the ones who, at the end of the day, pay for his bills, the vintage Amarone wine, the juicy “bistecca Alla Fiorentina, and expensive Fender guitars. Cheers folks.
The game designer makes the game to his vision. You either buy into it or you don't. I do in AC's case. On the other hand I don't buy into GTS at all. As for Pcars 2 - players tend to remember when devs do what they've done and don't tend to give them a second chance.

he’d better stop playing the “Prima donna” act “Oh, if you don’t like it may be it’s not for you” and listen to the constructive critics, because Gran Turismo Sport, late as it is, someday will arrive and, then, may be it’s physics engine is on pair with Kuno’s, PCars 2 will came along with it’s bugs fixed and laser scanned tracks, or the praised RFactor may grow it’s eyes on the fat console Cashland market, and customers will certainly remember his words, because we, the customers, the ones he says his product may not be for us, are the ones who, at the end of the day, pay for his bills, the vintage Amarone wine, the juicy “bistecca Alla Fiorentina, and expensive Fender guitars. Cheers folks.

Interesting difference you and I have. I like when companies act with a level of confidence. To me hos statement means that there's a core business and they focus with out compromise on this core business. This is a strategy many companies have executed with success. Be very selective of your product and market segment and let other companies focus on that which isn't your core business. AND be clear in your communication about what your core business is. So I bought the game BECAUSE of this non compromising approach. Well knowing that a lot of things arent a priority.

Gave the Lotus 72D at Silverstone International "special event" a try. I didn't have too much difficulty getting a sub 1.08 Bronze time - maybe 10 laps or so (this is with T500 & TH8RS shifter + clutch). Spent about another 25 mins getting my time down to 1.698, which is still almost one second off Silver. I can imagine getting my time down to 1.06, but 1.05 seems a stretch. Perhaps one of you pros can give it a shot & show us how it's done. How much use should you make of the curbs in this variation of Silverstone?

Running hot laps reminds me of the GT5 where there was a concerted attempt by many GTPlanet drivers (& others) to set ranking lap times. It was my first rude awakening to the reality of how far off the pace I was ... & that some sim drivers are clearly aliens. The trouble with GT5 (& 6 & 4, for that matter) is how little FFB there is, so that driving fast is so ... "mathematical" - there's hardly any "feel" to it. This would make hot lapping - lap after lap in a desperate attempt to shave a few fractions of a second off - particularly unsatisfying.

Incidentally, Dausio: I'm using a PS4, not PC, & the Ferrari 312T at Imola is on the 4th screen from the left as you click through them.
A quick check of the RSR boards shows 15/58 times listed under 1:05 with a best of 1:03.1. I don't recognize any of the names as known aliens so I suspect better times are possible.

Well I saw Stefano’s show. The guy really knows how to play a guitar. I understand now why the AC sounds are so nice. The man have ears. It seems, nevertheless, he’s the one man band at Kuno’s and is highly strung by the critics, some fair most not. Anyway I’d rather see him fencing, and mastering, his own AI than playing guitar which there are thousands of anonymous players that play, if not better, just like he does. He shall figure if he wants to be in business for real and for long, selling his DLC packs, and future iterations, he’d better stop playing the “Prima donna” act “Oh, if you don’t like it may be it’s not for you” and listen to the constructive critics, because Gran Turismo Sport, late as it is, someday will arrive and, then, may be it’s physics engine is on pair with Kuno’s, PCars 2 will came along with it’s bugs fixed and laser scanned tracks, or the praised RFactor may grow it’s eyes on the fat console Cashland market, and customers will certainly remember his words, because we, the customers, the ones he says his product may not be for us, are the ones who, at the end of the day, pay for his bills, the vintage Amarone wine, the juicy “bistecca Alla Fiorentina, and expensive Fender guitars. Cheers folks.
A guy has a hobby outside of his job that he likes to share on his YT vids and is honest about whether he's going to make changes based on every little fan feedback and that's negative? You talk about GTSport, a franchise well known for not listening to a single thing that fans have to say, who are about to release a game that precisely no one asked for, abandoning the formula that won them the hearts of millions of sim racers these last 15 years? You're talking about the "prima donna" attitude of Stefano and then you mention PCars. For real? You know who the Wookie is right?

Cool down Johnny, I feel I hit some sensitive point, you like numbers, let's wait and see. The future will tell who's right. I really expect Stefano to heal his agressive AI or install some "automatic restart option" for when his "latin temper" AI take me out of track. For a guitar player I'm for Joe Satriani or Jeff Beck. Cheers.

Cool down Johnny, I feel I hit some sensitive point, you like numbers, let's wait and see. The future will tell who's right. I really expect Stefano to heal his agressive AI or install some "automatic restart option" for when his "latin temper" AI take me out of track. For a guitar player I'm for Joe Satriani or Jeff Beck. Cheers.
Johnny is always cool, the sensitive point is your complete lack of logic in your response. You remind me of those people who are continuously harping about a developer working on a single, small feature and somehow it means some other part of the game isn't fixed because there's only one guy working on the entire game don't you know.

I used to think of the AI like you do, but after playing the game since just after launch I've come to learn their ways, how they like to drive, and to avoid moving whenever the little red proximity indicator is hovering around my rear end. Now I'm having some great races. They're not perfect, no AI is, and they indeed will fishtail us from time to time, but have patience; hopefully you'll start having a good time racing against them sooner rather than later.

I'm jealous of anybody that's able to have a good race against the AI, I've tried most of the different difficulty settings and each time I end up matched up against 1 car that's trying to beat me, and 6 that try to force me off the track by any means necessary. It's cartoonishly bad

Listen Johnny, every italian I know can cook pasta, sing and play guitar, but only italian I know can cook pasta, sing, play guitar, and make me feel like driving a Ferrari, with all those high pitch screams, sitting in my couch (actually a racing seat), is Stefano. All I’m humbly (now) asking him, apart my stingy writing style, which so deeply touched your feelings, is to take that peninsular temper out of his AI’s so I better enjoy the ride. Is that asking too much ? Be sure I do want him to stay in business. Any other reason I'd give him for free advise MBA consultants would charge for ? Now, are we in peace again ? Came on, Johnny, bring the Calumet.
Maranello.jpg

To this momentI have achieved bronze, on a special event Hot Lapping only, probably I don’t have the talent, and for sure not the time, to grind my way up to the silver or gold.

Last edited:
We’re fighting over Italians, Japanese, Britsh games. And the germans ? What about if they came up with a oberallessturmrennwagengrossrechnerfernsehengerätspielzeug ? Can you imagine speeding down the Avus Autobahn 320 Km/h in an mittelmotorschnellleichtrekordwagen 1935 Auto Union Typ C with skinny Continental tires, or a Stadtrundfahrtrennmeisterschaft around “Metropolis”, or a blitzheisseumlappingdurch through Poland and zschezkslozsvazskia aboard a Blitzen Benz ? “That" would be fun. My only question is: Does anyone of you folks, figure how to convince a german to tune down his AI ?
Spiel 5.jpg

I used to think of the AI like you do, but after playing the game since just after launch I've come to learn their ways, how they like to drive, and to avoid moving whenever the little red proximity indicator is hovering around my rear end. Now I'm having some great races. They're not perfect, no AI is, and they indeed will fishtail us from time to time, but have patience; hopefully you'll start having a good time racing against them sooner rather than later.

You nailed it. :sly:

I've spent hours and hours racing against the GT2, GT3 and GTC AI cars using the RD Road America add-on. I'm learning how to create (and where to place them on the starting grid) AI fields that result in closer bumper-to-bumper racing than any online racing I've ever done. With experience you'll learn the AI's strong/weak points and how they tend to behave differently when around other specific cars. I'll post some specific grids w/ starting orders and track settings if anyone has an interest .👍

You nailed it. :sly:

I've spent hours and hours racing against the GT2, GT3 and GTC AI cars using the RD Road America add-on. I'm learning how to create (and where to place them on the starting grid) AI fields that result in closer bumper-to-bumper racing than any online racing I've ever done. With experience you'll learn the AI's strong/weak points and how they tend to behave differently when around other specific cars. I'll post some specific grids w/ starting orders and track settings if anyone has an interest .👍
That would only bring the pain to we console users who have no option to customise the grid, which results in some pretty daft same- class races. Oftentimes it's best to do single make races because of the class disparity.

The fundamental thing is AC physics is amazing. Not that the others are bad but AC is remarkable, much more life like, at last to me. Only thing I really feel mad is when AI just crash behind you and take you out of the racing. I know that happens in real racing, and in streets too, this week end I just got a cab bumping behind my car while I was still waiting the lights turn green. Slow and slow I'm learning to get along with the AI but I allways feel frightened when they appear on the mirror. Other than that I think the AC AI is good, probably the best overall.View attachment 606922

Another one.

The first one I understand the AI was not great but for the second I'd say you braked way too much for that corner (the car ahead pulls away here) and caught the AI unawares so he hit you as he perhaps couldn't slow down enough as he was committed to the corner already.

The first one I understand the AI was not great but for the second I'd say you braked way too much for that corner (the car ahead pulls away here) and caught the AI unawares so he hit you as he perhaps couldn't slow down enough as he was committed to the corner already.
Take another look. The AI moves to inside the curve after passing my car, not a natural move. I was following the Lotus at the same speed. The Bimmer came way too fast into the curve and then came back inside and hit my car as if on purpose. I had many tries allways had problems with the AI aggressiveness. GT6 AI sometimes hits your car but not with this intensity and frequency. That was on medium difficulty level. It's the Silverstone GP Quick race with the Ferrari 458 on special events. Why don't you give a try and post a video ? I will appreciate to see videos to learn how to do it. Cheers.

Take another look. The AI moves to inside the curve after passing my car, not a natural move. I was following the Lotus at the same speed. The Bimmer came way too fast into the curve and then came back inside and hit my car as if on purpose. I had many tries allways had problems with the AI aggressiveness. GT6 AI sometimes hits your car but not with this intensity and frequency. That was on medium difficulty level. It's the Silverstone GP Quick race with the Ferrari 458 on special events. Why don't you give a try and post a video ? I will appreciate to see videos to learn how to do it. Cheers.
I'm not saying the AI aren't annoying because I know only too well how much they like to fishtail the player; it's happened to me countless times, all we can do is wait for the new patch and see if the AI has been worked on, as PC players here will tell you they have a newer AI version than we do.

I can see that BMW make a crazy move to the right when he came up alongside but you didn't have to be there if you'd taken the corner faster, no offence meant regarding your driving abilities.

There is only one answer. Go faster or...

I'm not saying the AI aren't annoying because I know only too well how much they like to fishtail the player; it's happened to me countless times, all we can do is wait for the new patch and see if the AI has been worked on, as PC players here will tell you they have a newer AI version than we do.

I can see that BMW make a crazy move to the right when he came up alongside but you didn't have to be there if you'd taken the corner faster, no offence meant regarding your driving abilities.
Thanks for your continuing interest. One thing I noticed is that the energy from the crash is not being equaly split between the two cars. It seems the AI is an rigid body that transfers all the crash energy to my car.

There is only one answer. Go faster or...

There's better exemples of what happens than a fiction movie. Check WEC 2016 Spa Crashs at YouTube. Only that that does not happens every time, every lap, otherwise the race would end much sooner than the expected 6 Hours. I expect to see sucessful videos of this particular Special Event, from you folks. Cheers.

This is what I'm talking about. There's no way you can get away.

This is happening all the time. The AI will push you out of curves, but try it the other way round - it isn't even possible. In fact, if i ram into AI cars, chances are high that i'm the one spinning. This is really a big let down. The AI in AC is challenging and to me, the AI drivers are acting more natural and realistic then in most other racing games, however, they're Max Verstappen all over the place. Unfair and really aggressive. And they won't get punished for that.

I'll tell you what is really challenging, playing the AI in Alien on Spa in the McLaren 650S that really oversteers without anyone helping you. Then of course the AI trying to fishtail you. They didn't spin me but they wrecked the rear wing. Had so much drag down the straights with a lopsided wing that they were flying past me on the straights.

Thanks for your comments (or not) on my earlier posts, and the final version of my:

2016 Christmas Whish List:

GTS - Kaz finals of “Dancing with the Fia Stars” at the “Inauguration” of the game.
GTS - Chaparral 2D only car sounding “vacum cleaner”.
GTS - Adaptive AI according your skills with +/- settings.
GTS - Career mode settings allowing racer to choose his position at start and arrival.
GTS - Mercedes Benz T80 Schneligkeitstreckenrennweltrekordwagen (Die vergessene Traum) in the Avus Autobahn, replacement for the Moon Rover.
PCars - Steering wheel settings that stay set.
PCars - AI “Staying behind the white lines” and behaving like cars instead of “Cars”.
Pcars - AI that passes around your car and not “through” it.
PCars - A car that “looks” like a Ferrari, sounds like a Ferrari, handles like a Ferrari, but it’s not really a Ferrari, (not enough to break any patents and licenses).
PCars - Friendlier “Wookies”.
AC - AI that honks and flashes head lights before rear ending your car.
AC - Replacing the on/off brake pedal with a progressive one, with feed back when locked wheels drag over the tarmac (Check GT5 to see how it works).
AC - AI tuned for difficulty levels named “An Officer and a Gentlemen”, “It’s a Mad Mad World”, "Gone In Sixty Seconds”, “Fast And Furious”, “Rush”, and “A Bridge Too Far”.
AC - Free DLC video with Stefano and Joe Satriani playing “Surfin’ With The Alien”.
AC - Chit chat that ends with stunningly beautiful, charming, lovely, sweet, curvy, swaying, (Oh I love that gal l!!!!) Laura Pausini singing “White Christmas” along Luciano Pavarotti, (They did with Natalie and Nat didn’t they ?) with a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster in Contracanto, and may be, just may be, some white bearded old Sim Racer, dressed like Santa, squeezing his belows.
MC 10.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Folks,

Thanks for your comments (or not) on my earlier posts, and the final version of my:

2016 Christmas Whish List:

GTS - Kaz finals of “Dancing with the Fia Stars” at the “Inauguration” of the game.
GTS - Chaparral 2D only car sounding “vacum cleaner”.
GTS - Adaptive AI according your skills with +/- settings.
GTS - Career mode settings allowing racer to choose his position at start and arrival.
GTS - Mercedes Benz T80 Schneligkeitstreckenrennweltrekordwagen (Die vergessene Traum) in the Avus Autobahn, replacement for the Moon Rover.
PCars - Steering wheel settings that stay set.
PCars - AI “Staying behind the white lines” and behaving like cars instead of “Cars”.
Pcars - AI that passes around your car and not “through” it.
PCars - A car that “looks” like a Ferrari, sounds like a Ferrari, handles like a Ferrari, but it’s not really a Ferrari, (not enough to break any patents and licenses).
PCars - Friendlier “Wookies”.
AC - AI that honks and flashes head lights before rear ending your car.
AC - Replacing the on/off brake pedal with a progressive one, with feed back when locked wheels drag over the tarmac (Check GT5 to see how it works).
AC - AI tuned for difficulty levels named “An Officer and a Gentlemen”, “It’s a Mad Mad World”, "Gone In Sixty Seconds”, “Fast And Furious”, “Rush”, and “A Bridge Too Far”.
AC - Free DLC video with Stefano and Joe Satriani playing “Surfin’ With The Alien”.
AC - Chit chat that ends with stunningly beautiful, charming, lovely, sweet, curvy, swaying, (Oh I love that gal l!!!!) Laura Pausini singing “White Christmas” along Luciano Pavarotti, (They did with Natalie and Nat didn’t they ?) with a Fender Custom Shop Telecaster in Contracanto, and may be, just may be, some white bearded old Sim Racer, dressed like Santa, squeezing his belows.
View attachment 609511
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Folks,

So ... not asking for much this Christmas? :sly:

Back