Assetto Corsa Competizione v0.5 Released, Brings Circuit Zolder & Emil Frey Jaguar G3

Many ACC players say that ACC looks very good. My personal opinion is that ACC doesn't look that good, ...... so far. I think I know why.
It is probably this 24" Samsung TN monitor that is to blame.

Yesterday, when I was in a computer store, an LG 34 inch 21:9 monitor was playing some game and I was amazed how good this game looks on that particular monitor. So, I think if I want to enjoy ACC in all its graphical glory, I have to get a very good gaming monitor.

With maximum settings and high refresh rate (on PG279Q monitor) this game looks stunningly good to me, better than PCars 2 and Forza 7. GT Sport wins in the lighting department but i think ACC can get there given a bit more of development time and Kunos getting more and more familiar with unreal engine 4.

I have been thinking:

1. Keep my cheap 24" Samsung triple monitor setup and wait for the next gen VR HMD
  2. or get a 4k gaming beamer. Sitting at 70cm from a 140" screen gives you a FOV of 102.46° in AC, bezel free. A big bezel free 140" screen with a FOV of 102.46° sounds very tempting. It would be te same in ACC.

I have been thinking:

1. Keep my cheap 24" Samsung triple monitor setup and wait for the next gen VR HMD
  2. or get a 4k gaming beamer. Sitting at 70cm from a 140" screen gives you a FOV of 102.46° in AC, bezel free. A big bezel free 140" screen with a FOV of 102.46° sounds very tempting. It would be te same in ACC.
This is something I have been pondering for many years and still don't know what the best solution is. I've had a 32" single screen, 27" triple screen, 40" triple screen, 21:9 widescreen set up, and currently have a single 40" 4k single screen.

The issue I can see with a 140" screen is wasted screen space. You would end up seeing so much of the interior of the car that you would be pushing pixels you didn't need to. I'm leaning towards the 32:9 monitors that have hit the market, as they give a lot more width without the wasted height but have been waiting until they get a resolution boost, include a high refresh rate and g-Sync/freesync.

Samsung's new model looks to have hit the sweet spot https://news.samsung.com/global/inf...ngs-new-crg9?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=direct and I'm sorely tempted by it. The only remaining issue is that I still game on console and it will be a big step down to a 16:9 image on this screen compared to 40" 4k glory I currently have. Although we are only really talking about GTS that I'd be missing out on as I play FM7 & FM4 on PC. A few years ago I did solve this dilemma by having the 21:9 monitor mounted on a swinging bracket so I could still game on a 43" 1080P 16:9 TV for console and switch to the 21:9 set for PC gaming.
68CCBDD6-6AFA-4436-B412-88FB4FD5C30A.jpg

However, in use I just wasn't happy with the 21:9 screen. It's just wasn't big enough.

I'm pretty sure you have already seen this before but using this FOV calculator allows you to plug all sorts of setups into it so you can compare them http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

I'm pretty sure you have already seen this before but using this FOV calculator allows you to plug all sorts of setups into it so you can compare them http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php
Yep!

Sometimes I use this formula: 0.5x(height of the monitor : distance from eyes to center of monitor)= ? >>> 0.5(h:distance)=arctan
I use this formula when I already have the vFOV and want to know how big the screen has to be or having all the variables and calculate (through equations) the distance from the eyes to the screen.

After that I use this website to calcutale the degrees using the arctan (see ? above). Multiply the degrees by 2 and you get the vFOV. The hFOV is multiplying the vFOV by 2 as well.

It seems that the new CRG9 does not have g-sync.

Yep!

Sometimes I use this formula: 0.5x(height of the monitor : distance from eyes to center of monitor)= ? >>> 0.5(h:distance)=arctan
I use this formula when I already have the vFOV and want to know how big the screen has to be or having all the variables and calculate (through equations) the distance from the eyes to the screen.

After that I use this website to calcutale the degrees using the arctan (see ? above). Multiply the degrees by 2 and you get the vFOV. The hFOV is multiplying the vFOV by 2 as well.

It seems that the new CRG9 does not have g-sync.
It’s got freesync however so hoping that the nvidia feature to allow G-Sync to work on freesync monitors will be applicable to the CRG9.

I have been thinking:

I recently bought a projector and screen to make a movie theater in my gaming room. Due to various weird issues, I actually ended up with three motorized 100" screens and two projectors (all for the price of one projector and one screen, $275 USD). So all I need is another projector (and a bigger house) and I could be racing on triple 100" screens! :dopey:

I recently bought a projector and screen to make a movie theater in my gaming room. Due to various weird issues, I actually ended up with three motorized 100" screens and two projectors (all for the price of one projector and one screen, $275 USD). So all I need is another projector (and a bigger house) and I could be racing on triple 100" screens! :dopey:
Let me know what you think of it compared to a triple monitor setup and the OC. :)

Which projectors?

Let me know what you think of it compared to a triple monitor setup and the OC. :)

Which projectors?

Triple projectors ain't gonna happen in my house. :lol:

It's some cheap Chinese projector from Amazon but it's actually pretty decent. It claims to be native 1080p (most in this price range are less than 720p but claim to be "1080p compatible", whatever that means) and the picture resolution looks pretty much as good as my 50" LED tv in the living room. There are a couple very minor issues (edges are slightly out of focus, some occasional slight ghosting, yellows are sometimes one shade too dark, room needs to be somewhat dark) but I honestly don't even really notice them and for $200 I'm very pleased with it. Got a 5.1 surround sound in there too so it's like a legit movie theater, I average about 5-6 movies a week. :) I lightly complained about the slight ghosting issue to the seller and they ended up sending me another one for free and I got to keep the original one. It also had the ghosting but it's really not enough to bother me so I now have a backup for if/when one craps out on me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJ6R1QX/?tag=gtplanet-20

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Here's the rest of the room. My racing rig is back there in the black corner.

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

Triple projectors ain't gonna happen in my house. :lol:

It's some cheap Chinese projector from Amazon but it's actually pretty decent. It claims to be native 1080p (most in this price range are less than 720p but claim to be "1080p compatible", whatever that means) and the picture resolution looks pretty much as good as my 50" LED tv in the living room. There are a couple very minor issues (edges are slightly out of focus, some occasional slight ghosting, yellows are sometimes one shade too dark, room needs to be somewhat dark) but I honestly don't even really notice them and for $200 I'm very pleased with it. Got a 5.1 surround sound in there too so it's like a legit movie theater, I average about 5-6 movies a week. :) I lightly complained about the slight ghosting issue to the seller and they ended up sending me another one for free and I got to keep the original one. It also had the ghosting but it's really not enough to bother me so I now have a backup for if/when one craps out on me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FJ6R1QX/?tag=gtplanet-20

View attachment 795213
View attachment 795212

Here's the rest of the room. My racing rig is back there in the black corner.

View attachment 795214
View attachment 795216
Let me know when you have a bigger house. :P

What do you think of a triple projector setup with ACC?

You probably need third party software for the warping of the image.

http://www.wsgf.org/

On curved screens, probably. But for three flat screens you could use the built-in triple screen controls if the game has it, like AC does, to adjust for angle/warp/etc. If money was no object I'd build something like this, this would even blow VR out of the water. :eek:

On curved screens, probably. But for three flat screens you could use the built-in triple screen controls if the game has it, like AC does, to adjust for angle/warp/etc. If money was no object I'd build something like this, this would even blow VR out of the water. :eek:

With three flat screens positioned as you would place your monitors you still have the seams between the flat screens. When you use a curved screen, you have one seamless screen.

One 4K projector on a 138" screen at a distance of 70 cm (very close) gives you a correct mathematical FOV of 101.64°, which looks like this:

101.5° 70cm.jpg

Proportions are not correct because of this 24" monitor.

A 170" screen gives you 125° mathematical correct FOV, which looks like this:

125° 70cm.jpg

So, one 4K projector (for a good resolution on a big screen) is as good as three 1080p projectors on one curved screen. Which is cheaper? No idea.

With three flat screens positioned as you would place your monitors you still have the seams between the flat screens. When you use a curved screen, you have one seamless screen.

One 4K projector on a 138" screen at a distance of 70 cm (very close) gives you a correct mathematical FOV of 101.64°, which looks like this:

View attachment 796000
Proportions are not correct because of this 24" monitor.

A 170" screen gives you 125° mathematical correct FOV, which looks like this:

View attachment 796001

So, one 4K projector (for a good resolution on a big screen) is as good as three 1080p projectors on one curved screen. Which is cheaper? No idea.

Three projectors on three flat screens would be much cheaper. I could do three 1080 projectors with three flat screens for about $800-850 retail through Amazon. A 4k projector is going to set you back at least $1,000-$1,200 and a 120" curved screen is going to be $250-500. A 170" curved screen as you proposed ranges from $500-1,500. Plus, I've seen triple projector setups where the seam was almost imperceptible, certainly better than having bezels from monitors! :dopey: So is it worth double the price to not have seams? To me (with my current income) it is not worth that.

Can you really get a 138" picture from only 27" away? Mine has to be 110" away to get a 100" picture. I know the more expensive projectors have different options to adjust size but that's a rather large image from only 2' away.

Regardless, a Rift only cost around $400 and unless you're getting a full Porsche cockpit with motion my vote would go for the Rift over 3 projectors every time. I do really love watching movies and sports on my 100" projector screen though! :D

Last edited:
Three projectors on three flat screens would be much cheaper. I could do three 1080 projectors with three flat screens for about $800-850 retail through Amazon. A 4k projector is going to set you back at least $1,000-$1,200 and a 120" curved screen is going to be $250-500. A 170" curved screen as you proposed ranges from $500-1,500. Plus, I've seen triple projector setups where the seam was almost imperceptible, certainly better than having bezels from monitors. So is it worth double the price to not have seams? To me (with my current income) it is not worth that.

Can you really get a 138" picture from only 27" away? Mine has to be 110" away to get a 100" picture. I know the more expensive projectors have different options to adjust size but that's a rather large image from only 2' away.

Regardless, a Rift only cost around $400 and unless you're getting a full Porsche cockpit with motion my vote would go for the Rift over 3 projectors every time. I do really love watching movies and sports on my 100" projector screen though! :D
VR HMD means that I have to buy a new gaming computer.

Ultra short throw projectors are capable of a very big image from a very short distance. That Porsche cockpit is IMO overkill and doesn't interest me at all. I would like to have the best image experience and that is probably a VR HMD.

VR HMD means that I have to buy a new gaming computer.

With all the money you'd be saving from not buying a 4K projector and 170" curved screen you could easily afford an upgrade! :dopey:

Ultra short throw projectors are capable of a very big image from a very short distance.

And it looks like they're about double the price of my original quote. Ouch.

That Porsche cockpit is IMO overkill and doesn't interest me at all. I would like to have the best image experience and that is probably a VR HMD.

That Porsche cockpit is my ideal setup. I've always tried hard to make it feel like I'm in an actual car, VR is a reasonable facsimile but with that Porsche cockpit you're actually in a real car and surrounded by what you would see out of a real car, literally can't get more immersive than that without taking an actual car to a track.

(by the way, not arguing, just discussing, I doubt either of us are about to buy a 4K projector)

Back