• 87 comments

Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2

• Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry to interrupt, but there is no reason to be testy.
@Pigems is a really really good driver, and I am a good driver also. I think both of us tend to call em like we see em.
No one is doing anything except expressing their opinion on the thread topic.
There’s nothing wrong with that.
I'd expect a really good driver to be competent at any racing sim on the market. Are you his dad?
I don’t remember now, I did 8 or 9 practice laps the last time I tried it and got frustrated with with all the lock ups, I even tried to adjust the brakes a couple times. I’m sure it’s a great game once your get used to it, I just haven’t done so yet. :cheers:
That's cool but probably best not to offer advice when you haven't really given the game a fair shake.

No, I am his friend and happen to hold pretty much a similar opinion on the thread topic.

There is a reason that just about anyone with real life track experience considers the physics in GTS to be near the bottom of the barrel compared to other games such as AC, PCars, Iracing and Race room.

Also there is a reason that you see real life pro racers racing online or doing streams with other "sim" titles but unless it is a promo put out by PD the game studio you never see that type of activity with GTS as compared to the other titles.

Even then when you see the pro drivers it is on a PC based game and not a console based game as the PC opens up so many additional options over the console based version which is limited by the platform itself.

GTS does do many things right, the livery editor I would die for in other titles, the actual graphics are fantastic compared to most other titles regardless of platform. But the driving although I think is made easier with the on rails approach is to appeal to non serious gamers that want an arcade type of game that is not totally arcade.

GTS when it comes to driving physics is one of the least realistic titles out there that wants to call itself a "sim" type of game. The AI in GTS is also a joke compared to the other titles as well, what GTS considers pro AI is basically almost the easiest AI settings in the other titles.

No title is perfect, they each have their strong points but GTS the driving or the AI is not one of their strongest points.

What would be awesome is if all the studios got together and the strong points from each title was put into one game, physics from AC, weather and time from PC2, graphics and livery editor from PD, AI a combination from PC2 and ACC and online matchmaking, track content and penalty system from Iracing.

Now that would be a game that should tick all the right boxes!

There is a reason that just about anyone with real life track experience considers the physics in GTS to be near the bottom of the barrel compared to other games such as AC, PCars, Iracing and Race room.

Also there is a reason that you see real life pro racers racing online or doing streams with other "sim" titles but unless it is a promo put out by PD the game studio you never see that type of activity with GTS as compared to the other titles.

Even then when you see the pro drivers it is on a PC based game and not a console based game as the PC opens up so many additional options over the console based version which is limited by the platform itself.

GTS does do many things right, the livery editor I would die for in other titles, the actual graphics are fantastic compared to most other titles regardless of platform. But the driving although I think is made easier with the on rails approach is to appeal to non serious gamers that want an arcade type of game that is not totally arcade.

GTS when it comes to driving physics is on of the least realistic titles out there that wants to call itself a "sim" type of game. The AI in GTS is also a joke compared to the other titles as well, what GTS considers pro AI is basically almost the easiest AI settings in the other titles.

No title is perfect, they each have their strong points but GTS the driving or the AI is not one of their strongest points.

What would be awesome is if all the studios got together and the strong points from each title was put into one game, physics from AC, weather and time from PC2, graphics and livery editor from PD, AI a combination from PC2 and ACC and online matchmaking, track content and penalty system from Iracing.

Now that would be a game that should tick all the right boxes!

Lots of people have plenty of real world experience and enjoy GT Sport also.
My take on pc is that I ain’t buying ALL THAT. I don’t want a recreational experience to include hours upon hours troubleshooting issues, updating software, getting viruses from game mods etc etc etc.
I work hard and don’t have time for that.
For my racing sim game I want to put it in. Then I want to turn it on. Then I want to drive or race. I do not want to have to spend hours adjusting all the overcooked ‘sim’ parameters that so many devotees hold as the holy grail of virtual reality.
Like PC2 when you go out on track on cold tires in a race car, instead of saying “take it easy” imo the pit guy should tell the truth like “ok in this game the devs have made it so that the surface grip is slick as ice for two laps then when you get your tires to temp your pressures will have been set wrong, which will annoy you, not to mention the cars setup is not well balanced which means you have to tune it to your taste before you can begin to enjoy the experience”
I think that having equal playing field is huge. The driving in GT is quite good imo, plenty good enough for a challenging fun race.
In real life you have seat feel, and forces acting on you that unless you are in a quite expensive rig like the ones McLaren uses how much of a simulation is any game really?
A vibration motor is what it is.
So, for me adding more ‘true hardcore sim’ features and settings ultimately detracts not adds to my experience.
When I want to play a sim game I want to press a button and drive.
That’s what GT Sport does, not only that if I feel mellow, I can escape into the livery editor, not only that I can leave the game in and it’s a fantastic background screensaver with good tunes, I’d like to see them add more music at this point though, like a LOT more.
The replays look and work fantastic and those are fun to go over as well.
The game is also like its own little social media platform as well.
One thing I know about it is that if I race online, I will not be racing with people who have spent weeks optimizing their ‘super hardcore reality sim’ settings for their cars, making them impossible to compete with. In GT Sport it’s skill vs skill on a fair playing field.
I don’t know what more a person could ask for really.
There’s a lot to be said for all of this, plus there is more powerful hardware coming out soon for this game like in a year or two which will give them more capability.
The game looks fabulous also on a quality display.
To be honest I am really into driving, but I have zero desire to venture into the ‘super hardcore pc sim reality” world.
This game checks all the boxes for me.

Holy wall of text Batman! Can we leave GTS out of this. The OP asked which game between AC and PC2 they should buy. If you are happy with GTS, go play it. No need to post about it in here as it has no relevance to the topic being discussed.

I'd expect a really good driver to be competent at any racing sim on the market. Are you his dad?

That's cool but probably best not to offer advice when you haven't really given the game a fair shake.

I just offered my own experience with the game, that’s all. I wasn’t trying to sway anyone one way or the other. :)

I don’t remember now, I did 8 or 9 practice laps the last time I tried it and got frustrated with with all the lock ups, I even tried to adjust the brakes a couple times. I’m sure it’s a great game once your get used to it, I just haven’t done so yet. :cheers:
8 or 9 laps? It blows GTS away. Seriously your kidding right.
Complete different game. It takes more then 9 laps to figure out a game.

8 or 9 laps? It blows GTS away. Seriously your kidding right.
Complete different game. It takes more then 9 laps to figure out a game.

I never said it did, but I knew within the first couple laps that I was gonna like GTS, I didn’t get that same feeling with PC2 upon initial usage. That’s all.

I never said it did, but I knew within the first couple laps that I was gonna like GTS, I didn’t get that same feeling with PC2 upon initial usage. That’s all.
Well one game is a little more "sim" than the other. Just my opinion.

Well one game is a little more "sim" than the other. Just my opinion.

I could care less about how “sim” a game is. And your entitled to your opinion, my opinion is that I just want to jump on and race, not spend hours fiddling with options and dialling in cars just to race against boring AI drivers in a game that’s full of bugs and glitches from what I’ve read around here. Just my opinion. ;)

Correct Pigems. I was the same way in the initial first settling in with PC2. I started trying some known cars and tracks from the Gran Turismo series. Brands, Bathurst, Laguna. I was like "what in the ***** is going on here." Spinning out, loosing the ability being to hold the car on its edge, wondering why I have to turn the AI down so low just to be competitive. I knew right away this wasn't some jump on and do races game.
I personally am up to this kind of challenge though and want something more sim like so that setup is more of a factor of outcome. I love the practice sessions for setup, a good qualifying session with people in the way and all. Then getting to a race against AI where you might be in 6th place for 20 laps and not even have a chance to make one more spot.
I understand for some this is a bit much for some but if it's too much to do a couple laps to get tires up to temp just like in real racing and that's considered a waste of time, this game is not for you. This game resides on the interaction of the tire model and getting that right can be a night and day difference in your race and game experience. And that's exciting and fun to me when you get that right.

Although last night was trying to do a 20 minuter at Imola with the Lotus 49's and those bastards kept running into me and ruining my front suspension. All in all I consider that "frustrating" fun. lol :ill::lol:

As far as the two titles in the OP, IMO AC has the hands down better FFB for a wheel user.
In PC2 for me, it was like driving by Braille in comparison with AC. With AC for me the sense of grip is quite good because the FFB is informative.
In PC2 I felt like exceeding the limit was abrupt and unexpected basically more visual than tactile feedback, whereas in AC it’s not.
Plus AC on console seems to run pretty much bug free except the replays don’t seem to work right or maybe I just haven’t bothered figuring out their system. Playing a replay shouldn’t be confusing imo.
With AC they also have ACC so for console, maybe next gen it will be available.
Seems to me it’s just accepted with a ‘sim’ there’s always gonna be all sorts of annoying bugs and glitches. That sucks, but AC on console seems to run decent in the races I have done. Reading a bit on ACC it’s new and theres lots of bugs, people with graphics problems frame rate problems etc.
I can only speak for my experience on console, but I’d go AC over PC2.
Really,
I have to ask
If this is a GT Sport forum wth is this topic even doing here if the idea is not to mention Gt Sport?
Also, if this topic is for users who want to venture into a different title from Gt Sport that’s driving my personal call would be the original Dirt Rally.
It’s cheap and fun. Ffb is immersive, and driving it will improve your technique and skill level.
It’s not perfect, but it’s cool to play Rally driver.
If you like that Dirt Rally 2 is also good, but some people don’t like the ffb.

Correct Pigems. I was the same way in the initial first settling in with PC2. I started trying some known cars and tracks from the Gran Turismo series. Brands, Bathurst, Laguna. I was like "what in the ***** is going on here." Spinning out, loosing the ability being to hold the car on its edge, wondering why I have to turn the AI down so low just to be competitive. I knew right away this wasn't some jump on and do races game.
I personally am up to this kind of challenge though and want something more sim like so that setup is more of a factor of outcome. I love the practice sessions for setup, a good qualifying session with people in the way and all. Then getting to a race against AI where you might be in 6th place for 20 laps and not even have a chance to make one more spot.
I understand for some this is a bit much for some but if it's too much to do a couple laps to get tires up to temp just like in real racing and that's considered a waste of time, this game is not for you. This game resides on the interaction of the tire model and getting that right can be a night and day difference in your race and game experience. And that's exciting and fun to me when you get that right.

Although last night was trying to do a 20 minuter at Imola with the Lotus 49's and those bastards kept running into me and ruining my front suspension. All in all I consider that "frustrating" fun. lol :ill::lol:

Thanks for the info, If I had more time available I could probably get into it, but unfortunately I’m hooked on racing other people now after playing sport mode and it’s hard to go back to racing AI. :D :cheers:

I could care less about how “sim” a game is. And your entitled to your opinion, my opinion is that I just want to jump on and race, not spend hours fiddling with options and dialling in cars just to race against boring AI drivers in a game that’s full of bugs and glitches from what I’ve read around here. Just my opinion. ;)
You can jump in pretty much any car on PC2. I don't get were you have to spend hours fiddling. If you have read so much about the game there is more than enough wheel, controller settings on here to suit anyone. AI,come on be serious it is far superior to GTS AI. I race daily with the same 10 to 12 people and there sure seems to be less bugs and glitches than what some people perceive.

You can jump in pretty much any car on PC2. I don't get were you have to spend hours fiddling. If you have read so much about the game there is more than enough wheel, controller settings on here to suit anyone. AI,come on be serious it is far superior to GTS AI. I race daily with the same 10 to 12 people and there sure seems to be less bugs and glitches than what some people perceive.

I said I don’t want to race against ANY AI, not GT’s AI, i don’t care which AI is better because they all suck. I want to race against real people in Sport Mode Or Lobbies. All I know is I can jump in any play GTS without messing with ANY settings, and no, I couldn’t do that when I tried PC2, that’s it, that’s all. I’m done with this now. :lol:

Geez, some people get their panties all bunched up if you don’t like their favourite toy. :lol:

I said I don’t want to race against ANY AI, not GT’s AI, i don’t care which AI is better because they all suck. I want to race against real people in Sport Mode Or Lobbies. All I know is I can jump in any play GTS without messing with ANY settings, and no, I couldn’t do that when I tried PC2, that’s it, that’s all. I’m done with this now. :lol:

Geez, some people get their panties all bunched up if you don’t like their favourite toy. :lol:
Favorite toy. I've played every GT series. This is hands down the worst of them all.

First i was about to suggest PCars 2 over AC, but then i remembered how user-unfriendly it is. Literally everything require tweaking and it's not made that simple on console; you need to re-assign or map own button(s) for very basic commands like:

- All D-pad directions to adjust seat up/down - forward/backward, without possibility to do it in the pits (AC) or in start menu (GTS)

- To swap TSC, ABS or race strategy while on track you need own button just to open "setup window" - then navigate to correct path - click - click... All this without crashing, and iircc the "setup window" has short timer so it closes if you focus on racing for too long... Also TSC has steps from 0-100 (1 click=1%)

- Tuning is often too complicated, e.g L.S.D could have just 3 adjustable values instead of what it is now. Can't test your tune without saving it first = long list of tuning files "v.1/v.2/v.3..."

- FFB... There's absolutely no mediocre settings even half of the cars could use and no options to save own FFB for each; yet you can't test car setup without saving it... :/

^ Repeat these over and over and over...

Not sure if mentioned already but Project Cars 2 defaults to “Loose” Setup initially, better to load the option called “Stable” (it’s already made for you).

Also a wise idea to calibrate your wheels and pedals before you hit the track for the very first time (if you have them).

Yea stable is the default controller setup and loose is default for wheels. I usually start with stable to get used to a car

First i was about to suggest PCars 2 over AC, but then i remembered how user-unfriendly it is. Literally everything require tweaking and it's not made that simple on console; you need to re-assign or map own button(s) for very basic commands like:

- All D-pad directions to adjust seat up/down - forward/backward, without possibility to do it in the pits (AC) or in start menu (GTS)

- To swap TSC, ABS or race strategy while on track you need own button just to open "setup window" - then navigate to correct path - click - click... All this without crashing, and iircc the "setup window" has short timer so it closes if you focus on racing for too long... Also TSC has steps from 0-100 (1 click=1%)

- Tuning is often too complicated, e.g L.S.D could have just 3 adjustable values instead of what it is now. Can't test your tune without saving it first = long list of tuning files "v.1/v.2/v.3..."

- FFB... There's absolutely no mediocre settings even half of the cars could use and no options to save own FFB for each; yet you can't test car setup without saving it... :/

I'm sorry but this sounds mostly like a you problem and not a Project Cars problem. The game has a lot of settings, yes. This is a good thing, not bad. Different cars do different things and if you don't want PC games to be ported to console then people just loose out on the experience.
Right, things that are mapped to a keyboard on a PC can't be mapped to everything on a DS4 or wheel. I never went into this game thinking "I wish I didn't have all these realistic settings that all these cars have in real life or the ability to change a pit strategy or tuning options that make it lifelike."
Personally I have found good FFB settings that I'm happy with on a t300rs. I'm even more happy that if I want to tweak them a bit, I have multiple parameters to adjust rather than the joke of just 2 that GTS has.

"Literally everything" <-- a little silly, isn't that?

I'm sorry but this sounds mostly like a you problem and not a Project Cars problem. The game has a lot of settings, yes. This is a good thing, not bad.

If you didn't need to pause the game - go to settings - assign buttons only to get access to such basic features.

Different cars do different things and if you don't want PC games to be ported to console then people just loose out on the experience.

Like options to adjust TC, ABS or brake balance on the fly? It's simple in GTS (not simplified, but very user friendly) and AC does this well too.

Right, things that are mapped to a keyboard on a PC can't be mapped to everything on a DS4 or wheel.

Exactly... But there should/could be easier solution to get access to them during the race.

I never went into this game thinking "I wish I didn't have all these realistic settings that all these cars have in real life or the ability to change a pit strategy or tuning options that make it lifelike."

Me neither, but wasn't my point.

"Literally everything" <-- a little silly, isn't that?

Honestly asking?

Incorrect. You can plug in a keyboard to the PS4 and assign anything you want without using the d pad for up down forwards backwards tilt etc for your seat. You can also assign any other keys to do what ever the hell you want from brake bias to abs. So your statement is a little misleading to say the least. As for tuning,you can go to Pcars forum and get pretty much any world record on PC. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...equests-for-Consoles(pictures)-Post-Patch-7-0 .
Perhaps reading the stuff on the "Official Forum" might clear up your misconceptions of the game.
Read up there is lots of help from good people. Oh yeah "Let's go Raptors!"

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned already but Project Cars 2 defaults to “Loose” Setup initially, better to load the option called “Stable” (it’s already made for you).

I didn’t even realize there was a default stable setup until now. :dunce:

May explain why rain driving was near impossible no matter the tune.

The more you know...

So, both games are 60-70% off in the PS Store right now. I only really want to buy one of them, which one should I get? I figure I'll ask in the GT Sport forum since I hope to get the least biased answers, if I ask in the PCars 2 forum obviously they'd suggest PCars 2 right?

I'm probably looking for the best single player experience. I'm coming from playing GT Sport, and GTS is the only racing game I've played since GT5 however many years ago.

I'd still get my online kicks from GTS and it likely will remain my focus. This new game will just be to have fun driving and racing a career mode and maybe get the occasional online race in just for fun.

(I'll probably cave and buy both anyways but vote away!)
Once you play Sport Mode, you will forget the Career Mode. Racing with AI is a thing of past now. Go Online and race with real people. GT Sport has set up this beautifully.

The Thrill of online race is far greater than racing the AI. The Real life like racing aspect is nailed in GTS. Good for you is that the races are weekly now. So you get time to practice and get better.

Once you play Sport Mode, you will forget the Career Mode. Racing with AI is a thing of past now. Go Online and race with real people. GT Sport has set up this beautifully.

The Thrill of online race is far greater than racing the AI. The Real life like racing aspect is nailed in GTS. Good for you is that the races are weekly now. So you get time to practice and get better.

Depends the AI...in case of Assetto and Pcars2 they can be quite a challenge if you set them up right in difficulty and agressive level.
And there's quite lot of people that don't want to pay for the PS Plus service also.
So good racing with AI is always a good idea and welcome.

Also..3 or 5 laps isn't a race for me for example...

I would like sport races with qualifying session and 40 minutes racing for example.
The sport mode has potential,sure,but rating system has to be improved, penalty system has to be improved,hard damage has to be active in every race..(would make people more cautious) and add daily races, longer races, monthly endurance events for example..

Also,good organized racing leagues in private personalized lobbies is still quite better and more "real live racing" than sport mode where most people doesn't even know a minimum of racing etiquette and on track behaviour and racing normative.

The personalized lobbies in Pcars2 and Assetto are quite more stable and with quite less bugs and problems of those GT Sport offer btw.

After racing humans racing AI sucks imo.
That said the AI in AC is nice if you are not in a competitive mood and just want to drive with other cars on track that are predictable.
Actually I raced Interlagos against GT Sport AI the other day testing the update and I was shocked that they were hard to catch with my car under bop.

Back