Assetto Corsa Time Attack Challenge Discussion Thread

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
After the first 3 weeks of the AC Time Attack Challenge I've thought of a few things I'd like to do differently. I'm going to throw a few things out there and invite anyone interested to add any ideas they might be interested in. Next round won't launch until the New Year so we have plenty of time.

1. Instead of awarding prizes to the top X finishers, I'd like to instead award to the top 3 and then a random selection of the rest of the drivers, with a minimum number of events entered. I really prefer to encourage participation above everything else and spreading the prizes around will accomplish that I think. Random number generators are easily available online to choose the winners, but I'm not sure if we can have a live draw.

2. A drop week would make things interesting and eliminate zero point weeks from vacations and the like.

3. I'd also like to limit tires for some combinations by using the RSR Live Timing app. That way I can check to make sure what tires were used so we have a double check in place.

4. I like the idea of alternating street with race cars, modern and vintage, but I'd also like to throw a couple of events out to a popularity vote.

5. Hillclimb? Maybe...

6. Mod content. There is a huge variety of good mod content out there and I'd like to take more advantage of it next time around.

7. Idea for adding the Nordschleife

Possible Tracks

Mills Metro Park video Link to download description and download.

Last edited:
Is mod content easily hacked? Like could people go in to the files and add 100 more horsepower or anything? Does the RSR server check the files against each other? I've not used the RSR app for a while so I'd have to figure it out again but it's not a bad idea, to enable forcing of a tire option.

Also regarding mod content I think it's important that it's kept for only the really top quality content, this is especially true for tracks.

Is mod content easily hacked? Like could people go in to the files and add 100 more horsepower or anything? Does the RSR server check the files against each other? I've not used the RSR app for a while so I'd have to figure it out again but it's not a bad idea, to enable forcing of a tire option.

Also regarding mod content I think it's important that it's kept for only the really top quality content, this is especially true for tracks.
Good question about the mods and hacking. I will PM RSR and find out. I know they track mod cars and tracks for the Live Timing app.

"hacking" is possible (and quite easily) achievable now on any car on any track. Without going into too much detail, it has to do with altering a few lines of code to change how much 'grip' a specific track has. Greater the number, more grip your car has on that track. By fine tuning that grip factor you can significantly shorten your lap time while keeping your sectors realistic. I tried this and sure enough RSR registers it. Brought this up with a dev and they told me they have a system to check for modified files but only check it occasionally.

But I don't see any problems with user-created cars :)

Going to add this to the OP. I resisted adding the Nordschleife this time around because I think it's too much for a single week. I think you just get guys running 1 or 2 laps just to get a time in. Maybe if we took the Nords week and extended it for say 3 weeks. For example, in week 2 I could announce the regular round and give the specs and accept times for the Nurb round at the same time. The Nurb round would then run simultaneously with rounds 2 and 3, with round 4 being the Nurb only week and the final week to post a time. That way you could spread out your effort over 3 weeks if you want, or just cram it into the last week.

Going to add this to the OP. I resisted adding the Nordschleife this time around because I think it's too much for a single week. I think you just get guys running 1 or 2 laps just to get a time in. Maybe if we took the Nords week and extended it for say 3 weeks. For example, in week 2 I could announce the regular round and give the specs and accept times for the Nurb round at the same time. The Nurb round would then run simultaneously with rounds 2 and 3, with round 4 being the Nurb only week and the final week to post a time. That way you could spread out your effort over 3 weeks if you want, or just cram it into the last week.
I think it would be the motivation I need to learn it a little better, but I'm expecting to be roughly a minute behind.

Yeah, or we could have Nord as a long running contest. Say a couple of months. Would give people a bit more time. Would probably need reminders though, as we might forget that it's still "on".

Couple of months is too long, I'd say. 2, maybe 3 weeks?

Probably in a car that isn't as...demanding as the SLS too.

If it's 2 or 3 weeks, how about having 2 or 3 different cars and adding the times together?
The two or three weeks would be there so people would have enough time to get in a few good laps in one car. If you take 2 or 3 cars over 2 or 3 weeks, it kind of defeats the purpose of extending the window for the event.

If you do a hill climb or the Nordschleife a lack of practice would be more realistic. I would like to see Peyregrosse ->Mangadout (sp?) In the Porsche 550s hillclimb special once the track is released with the hi-Def physical mesh.

If you do a hill climb or the Nordschleife a lack of practice would be more realistic. I would like to see Peyregrosse ->Mangadout (sp?) In the Porsche 550s hillclimb special once the track is released with the hi-Def physical mesh.
A Hillclimb event would probably also have to be a multi-week affair due to the length of most of them and the unfamiliarity for most of us. I saw some video of the Targa Florio track...that could be a 3 month event all by itself:drool::eek:

Keep meaning to download this car:

So, week 8 Johnny. I assume you have tested the Ferrari 458 GT2 @ Nordschleife ?
Ahhhh...no:)...no Nords this time around. We'll likely do it next time though so you can vote for your car of choice next time. Would that be your preferred car?

I remember driving a bus around Suzuka using netbook keyboard on rFactor, that was pretty awesome. :lol:

Can do something similar on Assetto Corso...
If I'm not mistaken I think there was a truck mod somewhere.

I would like to see one or two non-DLC combos. I don't think we had a non-DLC combo? You never know who's out there wanting to participate who doesn't have any of the DLC.

Hi guys. Mr. Penso suggested I post here to invite you to a little holiday race we're having the day after Xmas with the Alfa GTA at Goodwood. Long story short, I've had hardware issues over the last year and finally have it all sorted, realized a lot of us in a little discussion group we have hadn't really raced together, so I decided to see if my setup was capable of hosting a server for us all to race together over the holidays. Turns out I can host about 15-16 people on my system and since there's only a handful of us he suggested some of you guys may be interested. As long as we can keep it under 16 or so, you guys are all welcome to join if you're available/interested.

Here's the info:

When: Saturday December 26th at 5:30pm EST (GMT-5) (first race will start at 5:30pm EST, server will go live at 5:10pm).

What: Alfa GTA (Kunos content) at Goodwood DOWNLOAD LINK

2 race format. 20 Minute Qualifying Session (we'll just do a longer qualifying session instead of adding a practice session) followed by a 13 lap race (~20 minutes). Then a second 20 minute qualifying session (can also be used as a smoke/pee/beer break) followed by a second 13 lap race (~20 minutes).

It will be a password protected server and we'll have a teamspeak channel available. Just reply here if you're interested and I'll PM you all the necessary info.

:cheers: and Happy Holidays.

Hi guys. Mr. Penso suggested I post here to invite you to a little holiday race we're having the day after Xmas with the Alfa GTA at Goodwood. Long story short, I've had hardware issues over the last year and finally have it all sorted, realized a lot of us in a little discussion group we have hadn't really raced together, so I decided to see if my setup was capable of hosting a server for us all to race together over the holidays. Turns out I can host about 15-16 people on my system and since there's only a handful of us he suggested some of you guys may be interested. As long as we can keep it under 16 or so, you guys are all welcome to join if you're available/interested.

Here's the info:

When: Saturday December 26th at 5:30pm EST (GMT-5) (first race will start at 5:30pm EST, server will go live at 5:10pm).

What: Alfa GTA (Kunos content) at Goodwood DOWNLOAD LINK

2 race format. 20 Minute Qualifying Session (we'll just do a longer qualifying session instead of adding a practice session) followed by a 13 lap race (~20 minutes). Then a second 20 minute qualifying session (can also be used as a smoke/pee/beer break) followed by a second 13 lap race (~20 minutes).

It will be a password protected server and we'll have a teamspeak channel available. Just reply here if you're interested and I'll PM you all the necessary info.

:cheers: and Happy Holidays.
Hey Brandon, haven't really talked to you since the ORCA vs WRS Fuji race in GT5. :lol: I'd be interested, but will most likely have a GT6 WRS race ending right as you're opening the room. I could try a quick swap to AC. I've done absolutely zero online in AC, and would love to learn with guys I recognize from GTP! :cheers:

Hey Brandon, haven't really talked to you since the ORCA vs WRS Fuji race in GT5. :lol: I'd be interested, but will most likely have a GT6 WRS race ending right as you're opening the room. I could try a quick swap to AC. I've done absolutely zero online in AC, and would love to learn with guys I recognize from GTP! :cheers:

Would love to see you on track again! I've set it up so there's two races with a 20 minute break in between so if you're a little late you can always hop in on the second one. I can probably push it back a half hour too if it would fit more schedules. I think we have a little bit of flexibility. It's just a fun race, no pressure or anything, I can guarantee I'll have at least a pint or two in me by the time we start. :lol:

You guys tested the 458 S3? Best sim car I've driven to date (V6 tires)! (from road cars at least) Give it a try! :cheers:
I did give it a spin late in the competition because I'd read good things about it on the new tire model but I had run out of my allotment of rounds with supercars by that time and it was too late. Next time maybe...

Back