Assetto Corsa. To buy or not to buy?

• Thread starter Sakinen
  • 24 comments
Greece
Greece
Hello everybody!
I open this thread because I want your opinions about Assetto Corsa game.
There is an offer these days (-75%) and I don't know what to do.

Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition (playstation.com)

I know that it's a 5-6 years old game, I've read reviews saying that it's more simulation than arcade but I want some feedback from people that have played both.
Is it a decent alternative from a GT Sport player's perspective?
I use controller.

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
I open this thread because I want your opinions about Assetto Corsa game.
There is an offer these days (-75%) and I don't know what to do.

Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition (playstation.com)

I know that it's a 5-6 years old game, I've read reviews saying that it's more simulation than arcade but I want some feedback from people that have played both.
Is it a decent alternative from a GT Sport player's perspective?
I use controller.
It's not got an arcade bone in its body, AC is about the best title in terms of simulation on console, particularly when it comes to both road and race cars. It's not however a massively controller-friendly title (I use a wheel so others would be better placed to expand on this, as I know many use it with a controller).

Don't expect it to look even close to as good as GTS, but do expect it to be a much more accurate simulation than GTS.

Dear mods, I opened the thread in GT Sport forum because, as I say, "I want opinions from GT Sport player's perspective".

I hope I'll get some answers from GT Sport players.

Dear mods, I opened the thread in GT Sport forum because, as I say, "I want opinions from GT Sport player's perspective".
I saw that. Putting it in bold doesn't change the fact it belongs in the AC forum.

I bought it, at that price couldn't resist, got peeved with the views and it wasn't easy to just set up and drive. I'll probably give it another go later, but I might not bother. Games need to realise they are sold as downloads with no user manual so they need to make them easier to access or have a tutorial for set up.

It is possible to play on controller, once set up to your liking. Check back in this section of the forum for previous controller advice. It's worth buying and trying as is so cheap these days. You might really like it.
I used @lancia delta hf settings as a base then tweaked slightly. Very usable.

Last edited:
I just found it boring, even being free with game pass & the ultimate edition only £6.50 at the moment. I deleted it.

I haven't got time for 2 games & all my spare time goes on PC2.

I'll agree it felt good with a wheel, (on controller it's the same as PC2) but that's not enough (on console) just racing 16 cars around a handful of tracks (not including the many various layouts of the Nurburgring) at various stages of daytime without any weather.

This (for me anyway) is where PC2 is better (on console), so much more variation, if one thing don't work, try something different. There's so much more of a complete package, yes it's the jack of all, master of none, but it is the master of immersion.

24hrs times cycle, variable weather, 32 cars on track (more I think on PC) multi class racing.

Obviously on PC it's a different kettle of fish thanks to the modding community & if I had a PC I would be all over it. But on console it's just a glorified time attack game (my opinion of course).

@Mr Grumpy I agree it's a very sterile experience compared to Project Cars. I do like it but Project Cars is much more of a game and a complete experience. Its not game breaking but I dislike little things like, being transported to the pits at the end of the race with no celebration or acknowledgement etc, and even playing on PC the replays still don't seem to capture the whole race, although it might be me not understanding how to make it do it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers!
An offer for Project Cars 2 (-86%) is running. Maybe this is a better (than Assetto Corsa) alternative for GT Sport.
I'll think about it...

@Mr Grumpy I agree it's a very sterile experience compared to Project Cars. I do like it but Project Cars is much more of a game and a complete experience. Its not game breaking but I dislike little things like, being transported to the pits at the end of the race with no celebration or acknowledgement etc, and even playing on PC the replays still don't seem to capture the whole race, although it might be me not understanding how to make it do it.
On PC you can (with content manager) change the replay file size so it can capture an entire race.

Thank you all for your answers!
An offer for Project Cars 2 (-86%) is running. Maybe this is a better (than Assetto Corsa) alternative for GT Sport.
I'll think about it...

TBH you might as well get both, they are both cheap and worth it.. As is PC1.

Last edited:
It's not however a massively controller-friendly title (I use a wheel so others would be better placed to expand on this, as I know many use it with a controller).
I gave AC a try on PS4 when it went on sale for $10, and found its analog stick steering significantly worse than even PCARS1. I spent more than one evening trying to work with the settings, and was unable to figure out any that worked for me. :indiff:

I also agree with @Mr Grumpy that it's not much of a game on consoles, without mods. It's one of numerous "PC-sim-style" sims that are more of a mod sandbox than a complete game. And about that...
Obviously on PC it's a different kettle of fish thanks to the modding community & if I had a PC I would be all over it. But on console it's just a glorified time attack game (my opinion of course).
I just came to this subforum to share that Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition on Steam is on sale for $8. 👍

That was quick! I only just got this Lenovo up and running -- I installed Steam this afternoon -- and AC was on my shortlist for titles to scoop up when I got something better than my Acer and its integrated chip. I'm pretty sure a GTX 1660 Ti and twice the RAM will fare a little bit better. :)

$18 is not bad at all for the double-dip, so the price was a no-brainer.

I gave AC a try on PS4 when it went on sale for $10, and found its analog stick steering significantly worse than even PCARS1. I spent more than one evening trying to work with the settings, and was unable to figure out any that worked for me. :indiff:

I also agree with @Mr Grumpy that it's not much of a game on consoles, without mods. It's one of numerous "PC-sim-style" sims that are more of a mod sandbox than a complete game. And about that...

I just came to this subforum to share that Assetto Corsa: Ultimate Edition on Steam is on sale for $8. 👍

That was quick! I only just got this Lenovo up and running -- I installed Steam this afternoon -- and AC was on my shortlist for titles to scoop up when I got something better than my Acer and its integrated chip. I'm pretty sure a GTX 1660 Ti and twice the RAM will fare a little bit better. :)

$18 is not bad at all for the double-dip, so the price was a no-brainer.
1660ti is what I have and it will run AC no problem at all at 1080 /60.

Make sure you install Content Manager, Custom Shader Patch and Sol, all three are a must to make your life easier and AC look significantly better.

From GTS perspective it's much harder because of assists you can disable. I am not sure if AC has some assists but GTS is full of assists. You can't even compare it. So from pad perspective it's pretty full experience because you can drive the car on your own. Like others said PC2 is completely different beast from content side.

And from controls perspective, I love PC2 now and PC feels just OK. Both are great simulations but PC2 has something better in handling on a pad.

Last edited:
Coming from GT Sport, the best thing anyone can appreciate about AC, is the Championship Single play.

To have the option of picking any car for the AI to use, editing the names of the AI, choosing the points given for finishing positions, no time of day or weather multipliers, but time of day options are available.

The worse thing about AC are the replay lengths. Only about 3-4 minutes with a full 16 car grid. About 8 minutes with a default 9 car grid, in quick play.

The physics aren't user/controller friendly, if a player jumps straight into AC. A casual player might hand the game back. Seriously, if a GTS player takes the time to walk and not run, AC opens a player's mind to what so many PC players have been doing for years. Real simulation play.

If offline(what I'm mainly talking about) play is your thing, the customisation for AC, cancels out GTS' graphics.

As a side PC2 goes a step further with real world classes and being able to have proper multi-class racing with any class. No more one User car from one class versus 19 AI from a different class, as is the case with GTS.

Graphics wise, AC looks better than PC2.(I use a base PS4 and an XB1). PC2 replays aren't as good as GTS and are a bit behind AC in sound switch overs, from camera angles.

I spent my money well with these titles. So many things I wish Gran Turismo would have, are in these alternative games. Graphics ain't everything.

Edit: I always have to show a video. It's that much fun.

Last edited:
I see that both games (PC2 and AC) have their pros and cons.
I will try the free Demo of PC2.
What makes me skeptical about AC, is that I use controller. I think I will not have the patience to look for the right settings. For an alternative game I would prefer a plug-and-play situation.

What makes me skeptical about AC, is that I use controller. I think I will not have the patience to look for the right settings. For an alternative game I would prefer a plug-and-play situation.

Unfortunately you cannot make a decision about controller handling via the demo as it's been patched many times since, it's a really old version of the game.

If you like plug & play it's probably not for you. I like tuning of everything and changing stuff. It needs few days of one setting and then testing another one. If you don't like it I am not sure you will appreciate the options.

On the other hand you can start to like sims more. But it's very far from GTS from controls perspective.

ACC have the best default controller settings, compared to AC and PC2. Unfortunately, controller players have to assign just about every other function. This includes mapping look left/right/back buttons. Some functions can be automatically activated (headlights, rain lights, pit limiter).

Without the gtp community, I'd not have known these things before I bought the game. Car physics are by far the best on console. Unfortunately, the graphics suffer. It is the worse, compared to AC & PC1/2, on base consoles.

Both PC2 and AC are miles and miles better than GTS but you must invest on some wheel. Immo is impossible to enjoy any racing sim without it. Of corse for GTS you don"t need it because GTS is terrible from any aspect.

Finally I got Project Cars 2. Still downloading... About 54 Gb (I suppose with updates).
I will start it tomorrow. Maybe I'll get Assetto Corsa too.
Thanks for your answers!
:cheers:

Great, let us know what you think. I love PC2 controls and handling on a pad. It needs some time after common assisted games.

Back