Assetto Corsa Wins Red Bull's Readers' Racing Game of the Year 2016

So apparently it isn't a simple concept for some.

Again: did Assetto Corsa on PC release in 2016? It's a yes or no. I've never once mentioned early access. I'm talking V1.00.
The first time you quoted me I was specifically responding to someone saying AC released in 2013, so frankly I have no idea what you're on about now, as whether it was released in 2016 or not is besides the point.

I asked this in another thread, but why is Dirt Rally more deserving or more complete than Seb Loeb Rally? SLR has a far better car list and doesn't regurgitate stages as far as I'm aware? Why does Dirt Rally deserve game of the year over a circuit racer or whatever when the task is much simpler? Imagine a circuit version of Dirt Rally. Few cars, sections of Nurbergring Nordschliefe taken and mixed mashed then counted as another track, online limited to 3 locations with a couple track variations. How is that game of the year?

P.S i love Dirt Rally and recommended it to many people but point still stands, why is it more complete than SLR.
I own and play both Dirt Rally and SLR and I appreciate they're both good games and SLR does some things very well (the car list is great) but Dirt Rally has:
- A much better co-driver, SLR is a bit too in-consistent and wrongly calls slow corners at too high of a gear.
- Dirt Rally is much more beautiful, environments and car models
- Online is set up in a way which allows leagues such as the GTP CRAP league to run and manage themselves
- There are only about 20km of rally stage for each country but they're tough/technical enough to stay challenging
- At a quick estimation there is about 150km of unique roads on DR, I doubt the console version of AC will ever get close to that

The first time you quoted me I was specifically responding to someone saying AC released in 2013, so frankly I have no idea what you're on about now, as whether it was released in 2016 or not is besides the point.

Yes, whether a game that's included in a 2016 Game Of the Year round-up was actually released in 2016 is beside the point. Of course. FWIW, the same applies to DiRT Rally; its PC version should be ineligible, since it was a 2015 release.

@WyldAnimal may have got the year wrong in his original post, but the point stands: AC on PC is not a 2016 title.

I own and play both Dirt Rally and SLR and I appreciate they're both good games and SLR does some things very well (the car list is great) but Dirt Rally has:
- A much better co-driver, SLR is a bit too in-consistent and wrongly calls slow corners at too high of a gear.
- Online is set up in a way which allows leagues such as the GTP CRAP league to run and manage themselves
- There are only about 20km of rally stage for each country but they're tough/technical enough to stay challenging
- At a quick estimation there is about 150km of unique roads on DR, I doubt the console version of AC will ever get close to that
Thanks, I've played SLR demo, both of them. I was originally planning on getting both rally games but SLR demo made me feel a bit nauseous and strained my eyes. Dirt Rally as you say is beautiful and proof that quality > quantity is the way to go. I found online APITA the first time and every time i load up i forget how to get online. Can you set up rally online too or is it only Rally Cross?

Regarding the amount of KM of unique road in DR or any rally game, juch easier to achieve than in a circuit race. I for 1 wont question the authenticity of a rally stage but on a circuit im gonna notice if a cornee goes left instead of right etc. I am now curious as to how many KM of road AC has. Anyone ?

Yes, whether a game that's included in a 2016 Game Of the Year round-up was actually released in 2016 is beside the point. Of course. FWIW, the same applies to DiRT Rally; its PC version should be ineligible, since it was a 2015 release.

@WyldAnimal may have got the year wrong in his original post, but the point stands: AC on PC is not a 2016 title.

Actually you are bringing a very good point, that a 2013 driving simulator wins a 2016 game of the year is even more awesome and demonstrate how a lot of us are into driving more than feature, thank you for bringing this up.
Not being created the same year does not seem to be criterium, the criterium appear to be which is the game you think is the best to play in 2016. After all AC is much more than the version released on console.

Thanks, I've played SLR demo, both of them. I was originally planning on getting both rally games but SLR demo made me feel a bit nauseous and strained my eyes. Dirt Rally as you say is beautiful and proof that quality > quantity is the way to go. I found online APITA the first time and every time i load up i forget how to get online. Can you set up rally online too or is it only Rally Cross?

Regarding the amount of KM of unique road in DR or any rally game, juch easier to achieve than in a circuit race. I for 1 wont question the authenticity of a rally stage but on a circuit im gonna notice if a cornee goes left instead of right etc. I am now curious as to how many KM of road AC has. Anyone ?
You asked your initial question to me on another thread (apologies, I was out at the time and didn't get the chance to respond) and @GOTMAXPOWER sums it up well.

DiRT Rally for me just feels tidy and neat from the moment you turn it on, I didn't actually get the chance to fully purchase SLR but from the demo it just had a lot of technical kinks and small issues like an average co-driver and limited visibility of what's ahead made me feel the game was holding me back.

DR on the other hand is just so refined and captured the feeling Colin McRae 2.0 hit years ago on PS1. It's fast, efficient and nothing really stands between you and the track aside from a half-arsed 'race team' mechanic. Daily, Weekly and Monthly events give you constant ways to improve your driving and test how good you actually are when you can't reset or choose what tracks or cars you want to drive - against 1000+ daily players each day.

The gameplay experience is just so fluid. I can understand why some might find it slightly boring (probably the same people who feel the same in some ways with AC) but I've not felt the feeling of satisfaction from pushing to the edge DR provides and the tracks are mostly great. Rallycross and Pikes Peak are satisfactory too.

It's slightly light on content, but everything here is tweaked and works as it should. To be honest, I expected the same from Assetto and perhaps I should have done a bit more research to see the current state of the game. Amazing sim, not so great overall game.

You can set up rallies on Dirt rally as leagues or enter one of codemasters events which aren't online in the traditional way but something more like big time trials (which I guess rally is). e.g. https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/events

As for the tracks I'm sure they or at least sections of them are based on real roads Col de Turini and the end of Sweet Lamb are the most recognisable and seem fairly accurate, I'm sure the others are too.

You asked your initial question to me on another thread (apologies, I was out at the time and didn't get the chance to respond) and @GOTMAXPOWER sums it up well.

DiRT Rally for me just feels tidy and neat from the moment you turn it on, I didn't actually get the chance to fully purchase SLR but from the demo it just had a lot of technical kinks and small issues like an average co-driver and limited visibility of what's ahead made me feel the game was holding me back.

DR on the other hand is just so refined and captured the feeling Colin McRae 2.0 hit years ago on PS1. It's fast, efficient and nothing really stands between you and the track aside from a half-arsed 'race team' mechanic. Daily, Weekly and Monthly events give you constant ways to improve your driving and test how good you actually are when you can't reset or choose what tracks or cars you want to drive - against 1000+ daily players each day.

The gameplay experience is just so fluid. I can understand why some might find it slightly boring (probably the same people who feel the same in some ways with AC) but I've not felt the feeling of satisfaction from pushing to the edge DR provides and the tracks are mostly great. Rallycross and Pikes Peak are satisfactory too.

It's slightly light on content, but everything here is tweaked and works as it should. To be honest, I expected the same from Assetto and perhaps I should have done a bit more research to see the current state of the game. Amazing sim, not so great overall game.
Thanks, I agree 100% about DR. Whenni saw DR vids in YouTube I just thought it looked so clean. it's funny you say about Colin McRae on PS1 because when I played it on the first day I started getting flash backs of sitting in my bros bedroom playing CM on the PS1 and was thinking to myself why had it taken so long to recapture rallying like this again.

Only time I really thought about its negatives is when doing rally cross due to lack of tracks. But much like AC it's all about the time on track for me and both keep me focused enough to ignore any short comings. I'm sure there will be a DR2 (hopefully) with more content, and by the time that comes out Assetto should be a much more feature complete game too. All I need now is wreckfest on console.

You can set up rallies on Dirt rally as leagues or enter one of codemasters events which aren't online in the traditional way but something more like big time trials (which I guess rally is). e.g. https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/events

As for the tracks I'm sure they or at least sections of them are based on real roads Col de Turini and the end of Sweet Lamb are the most recognisable and seem fairly accurate, I'm sure the others are too.
Thanks I'm gonna look into setting up a rally now.

To be accurate if your using the corner calls in either SLR or DR as gear suggestions then the issues not with the calls, as neither title intends for them to be that at all. They simply represent how tight the corners are.

Overall i find DRs are slightly more accurate, but SLRs are more detailed. They are both better than the WRC series cut and paste from a library of sound clips approach however.

On a personal level I find SLR to overall be the better title, yes it is as ugly as sin, but content wise it's got far more to do, doesn't lock any car and track/stage combo away from you and for me has the better physics engine, particularly on sealed surfaces and when it comes to ice and snow. Load transfer and the cars reactions under braking when unsettled are also better in my view (in DR it's too easy to threshold brake in a car that's unsettled on a surface that's not consistent).

SLR did itself no favours with a demo that doesn't represent the physics of the final title and with a DLC package that most certainly wasn't good value at all. However as a sim I would put it up against DR any day.

Last edited:
To be accurate if your using the corner calls in either SLR or DR as gear suggestions then the issues not with the calls, as neither title intends for them to be that at all. They simply represent how tight the corners are.

They're based roughly on the tightness of the corner, as is the gear to be used. But the issue is that you wouldn't see somebody like Daniel Elena calling a square left/right as a 3 anything, especially when the next number up is a pretty fast sweeping bend. It's all too vague, especially when some calls are just through the arrows without the co-driver saying anything.

They're based roughly on the tightness of the corner, as is the gear to be used. But the issue is that you wouldn't see somebody like Daniel Elena calling a square left/right as a 3 anything, especially when the next number up is a pretty fast sweeping bend. It's all too vague, especially when some calls are just through the arrows without the co-driver saying anything.
The pacenote guides in both titles specifically state that it's based on the tightness of the corner and the steering lock required, no mention of gear to be used at all.

Now it may not suit your personal style, and that's totally subjective, but at no point in either title is gearing mentioned as being a factor of the calls. It's also to my mind quite obvious that it's not as well, as a minor bend after a hairpin could be called as a six, but would in no way be a sixth gear corner.

The pacenote guides in both titles specifically state that it's based on the tightness of the corner and the steering lock required, no mention of gear to be used at all.

Now it may not suit your personal style, and that's totally subjective, but at no point in either title is gearing mentioned as being a factor of the calls. It's also to my mind quite obvious that it's not as well, as a minor bend after a hairpin could be called as a six, but would in no way be a sixth gear corner.

That's always been my understanding of pacenotes too. The numbers represent the severity of the turn (1 being the tightest, 6 being the fastest) and not the gear you should be in. I used to think it was a suggestion of what gear to be in but eventually learned that was not the case (though it does happen to work out that way fairly often).

Are the two not somewhat interconnected though? i.e. if you take that minor bend out of the context of it being after an hairpin and put it at the end of a half mile straight it probably would be a sixth gear kink. The pace notes are the severity of a corner but it's not a coincidence that the scale is 1-6 not 1-10 or any other number. Whichever way you're interpreting the notes the original example of a square junction being called as a 3 (or medium speed bend) simply isn't accurate.

Are the two not somewhat interconnected though? i.e. if you take that minor bend out of the context of it being after an hairpin and put it at the end of a half mile straight it probably would be a sixth gear kink. The pace notes are the severity of a corner but it's not a coincidence that the scale is 1-6 not 1-10 or any other number. Whichever way you're interpreting the notes the original example of a square junction being called as a 3 (or medium speed bend) simply isn't accurate.
Pace notes in reality vary massively and also have + and - in them as well. The system used in the WRC series of titles covers 1 to 8 and some system used by some drivers have the highest number as the most tight and lowest number as the least.

They have no relation to the gear.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacenotes

Latest Posts

Back