Attention FM5 users!

So FM5 is out. A lot of you have eagerly bought it.

What I'm most interested in is the suspension modelling. Did they nail it this time?

How about the engine sounds - exhaust pop/snap, negative/positive torque, hearing and feeling the exhaust rumble as you take your foot off the throttle? How'r the turbo and supercharger sounds?

Awaiting your thoughts peeps!

Not sure on suspension modelling, can be quite hard to tell with the terribad data tracking in replays.

As for audio, by all acounts, amazing.

From NeoGAF

saladine1
For the first time, I am keeping the menu music on because it's just so damn good. It's inspiring!

I know I keep parroting this but I can't get over the audio.

I'm not a Supra man myself but **** me did my ears get a work out last night. This thing in hood view especially, sounds menacing after some exhaust,cam and turbo upgrades. The mix of engine and exhaust notes, coupled with the ferocious spool and BOV sent shivers down my spine. With a racing gearbox, the down shifts are ****ing aggressive and the constant explosive backfires and subsequent overrun and exhaust rumble sent the senses into overdrive. Add in some bone chilling reverb as you pass through the streets of Prague and it's game over man, game ****ing over!

I don't give a **** what anyone says, but a great sounding vehicle and it's related effects are half the driving experience.

Also, I've noticed that a production car turned full race modified is simulated so much better than FM4. Taking the aforementioned Supra for example, in FM4, turning that car into a race ready vehicle didn't really make the car behave as good as a dedicated race car. It had all the mods but didn't handle well enough to be called a race car.
However, now in FM5, that same car with the same mods actually feels like a track ready racing monster. The balance, the chassis stiffness, the aero packages, the tires..etc finally makes the car feel and behave like a race car should.

Anyway, enough with my ********...

Oh... great...

So they probably half-assed the suspension modelling again... it's usually dead obvious while watching replays.

Oh well there's D3 to keep me busy for now. Thinking of picking up GRID 2 and PGR4.

Oh... great...

So they probably half-assed the suspension modelling again...

I'm confused as to how you came to this conclusion after reading a post that says it's leaps and bounds better than FM4. Then to top it off, you start walking to the shop to pick up games that are sub-par in suspension modelling even compared to FM1

Check out the Sounds Of Forza Motorsport 5 thread for discussion about the audio in the new game.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-sounds-of-forza-motorsport-5.291993/

I don't know from suspension modelling but I love the way the front right axle squeaks and buzzes under your right trigger finger when you hit the banked oval at the end of a lap at Indianapolis.

The menu music is okay but I'm getting a little tired of the dramatic war drums at the beginning of every race. They remind me of the Father Ted episode when the old folks were playing each other at football.

Check my forza gallery here, the Beetle will show you how good the suspension model is now.

As for the sounds, they're very good, but for me personally, they missed a trick by going for a master volume setting rather than 4's individual sliders. I'd turned engine sounds up to full on that game and pops and bangs were much more obvious there. I'm hoping it gets patched back in to 5.

I'm confused as to how you came to this conclusion after reading a post that says it's leaps and bounds better than FM4. Then to top it off, you start walking to the shop to pick up games that are sub-par in suspension modelling even compared to FM1

And... what games might those be?

Read ReveranceSatan's reply again...

*terrible data tracking in replays*

Not sure though, if it's a suspension modelling issue, or simply an animation shortcoming.

What was wrong with the suspension modeling in FM4 to begin with? The sloppy rollovers in general, sure, but what am I missing here that says how they half-assed the suspension modeling again (emphasis mine)?

I won't comment any further on FM5 until I play it myself, but as far as FM4's concerned.. great sim, could have done with better aspects related to the sim experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if devs purposely leave some to be desired... they'd be losing out on profits if they give away too many goodies in one game.

The suspension modelling has been discussed a countless times on these forums, how it could have been better etc. and I'm not going to delve into it now. You can check out past posts.

Being said, it still is the best experience on consoles to date. Not just suspension physics-wise, but the overall "feeling of moving in a fast car" experience.

What was wrong with the suspension modeling in FM4 to begin with? The sloppy rollovers in general, sure, but what am I missing here that says how they half-assed the suspension modeling again (emphasis mine)?
The motions seemed pretty muted to me, and rather uncommunicative. I'm sure that's one of the reasons GT5 always gets the "it just feels right" free pass on its physics, because the cars wiggle and jiggle and dive much more by comparison. Not that JELL-O makes for a proper simulation of springs and dampers, of course.

Weight transfer is still accounted for, but it appears damping is too overbearing. The problem is kind of evident by the rollovers you mentioned, as they resemble lifting a hardcover book.

^^ That pretty much sums it up.

That was the point I was hoping to get across.

I get the feeling I might be going down the PC sim route, if things don't get "innovative" anytime soon.

I know I knoww... just that little thing called funds.

Cos' if I do get a gaming PC, I'd preferably want to get my hands on one of the best rigs.

Really cumbersome though, piecing all the components together to get the most out of games. And then there are the upgrades you need every 2 years or less.

Sheesh... I may even give up gaming at some point!

I know I knoww... just that little thing called funds.

Cos' if I do get a gaming PC, I'd preferably want to get my hands on one of the best rigs.

Really cumbersome though, piecing all the components together to get the most out of games. And then there are the upgrades you need every 2 years or less.

Sheesh... I may even give up gaming at some point!

Just do like a normal person and get an average rig. You don't need to have the bestest, most powerful computer. The premium you pay for top of the line really isn't reflected very well in the increase in performance over an average setup.

Not to mention Live for Speed probably runs fine on whatever you're using to browse GTPlanet, considering it uses a DX8 engine that even cheap laptops can run as smooth as butter. 👍

Hmm... interesting info you guys just laid out.

So would this... er, average rig, be able to run the likes of Project CARS, maxed out detail, butter smooth at over 60 fps?

Just wondering...

PC sim racers don't really come around that often, so any rig you build should last you around five years or more without the need to upgrade. Longer if you don't mind running new releases at under the max settings (they will still look great)

The best course of action right now would be to wait until Pcars comes out, then build your rig around that. That will be probably the most graphics intensive of the current crop. If you aim for a 1080p/60 + max settings by the time it comes out the hardware needed to do that should be much discounted. I'd say the same as the PS4 costs now.

A problem with buying now is that none of the sims (AC, R3E, Pcars and rF2) are fully optimised yet. In the mean time by a console and use that, then you'll have the best of both worlds when the time to build rolls around.

pCARS is going to be intense on requirements, my only point was if you're interested in PC sims there's no reason not to try the LFS demo.

Back