Audi engine in F1 in 2016 isn't happening

• Thread starter Legro
  • 187 comments
Yes, "The Sorcerer's" relationship with Renault came very late in his career.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amédée_Gordini

Being picky and remaining slightly off-topic; Simca was a Fiat affiliated company, when he began Gordini (the company) they weren't terribly successful... until they became part of Renault. I'm not denying his success but I'm not sure about his Frenchness or non-Renault success :)

Back on topic: Car Magazine think that a VW-group entry to F1 could be at least 3 years away. Source.

Being picky and remaining slightly off-topic; Simca was a Fiat affiliated company, when he began Gordini (the company) they weren't terribly successful... until they became part of Renault. I'm not denying his success but I'm not sure about his Frenchness or non-Renault success :)

His cars were always painted French racing blue. It's true his cars were always slow. But they added character and depth at a time when French racing fortunes were at a low ebb. Gordini was the ultimate underdog.

Peugeot is the racey french brand. Its in their DNA, even when they lack the funds for a full championship operation. Theres no way Renault would be able to do a video like this.

So, VAG are supposedly considering an entry on the back of hiring Domenicalli - but Domenicalli has just taken over from Gerhard Berger as the man overseeing the FIA's junior categories.

So, VAG are supposedly considering an entry on the back of hiring Domenicalli - but Domenicalli has just taken over from Gerhard Berger as the man overseeing the FIA's junior categories.

Doesn't stop him conducting the feasibility study, I guess it's not a full-time day job.

Would a VR6 engine be allowed under the regulations?

If so VW would probably go that way.
Probably not, and even if it was allowed there's not much that would suggest this, as VW hasn't developed a new VR6 engine in 10 years.

Probably not, and even if it was allowed there's not much that would suggest this, as VW hasn't developed a new VR6 engine in 10 years.
That would be due to the fact they haven't exactly used a 6 Cylinder Petrol engine since the 3.6 VR6 last sold in the last Generation Passat CC.

Had a look into the regulations to check if it is possible.

The rules state 90 Degree V6 engines, a VR6 is usually 15 degree V6, however they have gone to as big as 72 Degrees when fitting two VR6 engines into a W formation, 90 degree is possible but the packing might be a nightmare since it uses one Cylinder head.

Last edited:
Audi in F1 would be very bad news. They belong to sports car racing and Le Mans.

And I think like @GTPorsche . Audi guys seems to be too clever to risk a very solid endurance/GT racing reputation in something that, now, would be a very, very expensive adventure. And, just look what Honda is being going through... it doesn't seem rational being a 14 time (hopefully :D) Le Mans winner and a joke on F1 grid in a matter of months.

There are talks to review the F1's technical regulations for 2017, if I not mistaken. It would be a very bold move to leave WEC right now to jump in a environment where anything can change radically soon.

Back