Audi Goes Rear Wheel Drive with New Limited Edition R8

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Sep 12, 2017.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. VXR

VXR

Quite possibly the worst decal package on any car, ever.

RocZX likes this.
  3. Swagger897

Swagger897 Premium

I'm a bit of an Audi fan but c'mon...

"Made for purists" yet no stick? How much of a gimmick is that?

notanexpert likes this.
  4. TheNuvolari

TheNuvolari

If I could buy one, my first thing would be to delete those decals.

5. FT-1

FT-1

Surely those decals have to be optional.

I think this is the pick of the R8 range. I'm not sour at the lack of a manual, I'd argue a car with 540hp is better suited to dual clutch transmission anyway.

TheNuvolari likes this.
  6. McLaren

McLaren Premium

If there's no stick with Lamborghini, there's no stick with the R8. That engine just isn't built with manuals in mind anymore.

7. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

BMW goes AWD and Audi RWD.

VXR likes this.
  8. 05XR8

05XR8

:idea: Should have named it the R8 GT4. :dopey:

VXR likes this.
  9. panjandrum

panjandrum

It's nice to see companies realizing that they need produce cars for people who value the experience over raw numbers. Unless you are a serious racer, it's all about the fun, and if you are a serious racer, you have a real race-car anyway. All the junk that gets in the way of a pure driving experience needs to be deleted, at least optionally (But please, don't charge more for less.) Also, gotta have a real stick. That's just the reality of it. Biggest disappointment recently? Then new Alpine doesn't have a stick option (AND isn't available in NA... ugh!!! Not that I could afford one anyway, but still...) That's gonna hurt Alpine's sales. I would guess that most people wanting a RWD R8 would also want a proper stick.

10. McLaren

McLaren Premium

If most people wanted a stick, the sales would've reflected that. The only folks who want manuals are a majority who can't afford the car to begin with.

Ferrari & Lamborghini gave the consumer base a chance and there wasn't enough of a base to justify the costs of developing 2 gearboxes. If people aren't lining up to buy manuals from 2 of the biggest supercar manufacturers, other brands are going to take notice.

11. Famine

Famine Administrator

I did the international launch of the new R8 a couple of years ago, and Audi said that it was not offering a manual at all this time as 99% of all first generation R8 orders (V8 and V10) by the end of its life were automatic.

12. McLaren

McLaren Premium

That's what Ferrari reported around the end of the manual. Orders for it were so small, most folks assume the manual died with the 599, but a tiny fraction made it into the California as well.

I believe Lamborghini had similar numbers as well. I remember the costs to develop the manual gearbox ended up not being worth the time, hence why towards the end of its life, Lambo switched the transmission options around requiring the 6-speed as more money to equip.