Audi VS BMW VS Merc

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCE
  • 88 comments
  • 3,329 views

Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes Benz

  • Audi

    Votes: 12 26.1%
  • BMW

    Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Merc

    Votes: 11 23.9%

  • Total voters
    46
Poverty
"The RS4 may be more practical and more powerful, but the M3 is the M3! "
:(
I kind of regret typing that actually. If given the choice of those two, id take the RS4 over the M3 because im not really a fan of the M3. But I always get the sense of how the M3 is just a better performance car.
 
It's not as fast as the RS4, the RS4 is more powerful, faster on a track and lighter than the M3.
 
@The RS4 vs the M3: I'd argue that the M3's RWD and world-renowned poise give it the edge in the driving experience department.

Of course, I've never driven the two cars, but that seems to be the consensus among journalists. :)

*McLaren*
I do suggest some of you also read the reviews on the M5, espcially the one by Roundel. I faintly remember them reporting this was a button on the M6 as well to bring the car into a full-on drive mode.

I'd ask ///M-Spec though.

Everyone just likes to blow iDrive's complexity and intrusiveness out of proportion, primarily because of Top Gear. :lol:
 
Well, I would agree that the iDrive thing is blown way out of porportion by Top Gear, Car and Driver, Automobile, Motor Trend, Road and Track, etc... But it still is rubbish that it is not an option in most circumstances, as it is more bothersome than helpful (IMO). I attempted to use it once, and it wassent to bad, of course being a part of the "Playstation Generation" makes any computer easy to use...

But to "TURN ON ZEE POWA!!!" and take on the Porsche next to me, it is more of a problem than a solution to have to run through everything.

Sadly however, Audi and Mercedes both have their versions of iDrive out on the street. Thankfully however, as of now it is only available on a few models.
 
Agreed. I don't think iDrive is a good thing, but it isn't that bad. :)
 
YSSMAN
Sadly however, Audi and Mercedes both have their versions of iDrive out on the street. Thankfully however, as of now it is only available on a few models.

I played with what you're talking about in the A6 I drove and I couldn't figure the damn thing out...and I couldn't turn off the stereo or the A/C completely. I could only turn the volume down and the fan speed down. I find these "computers in cars" rather rediculous--but this is where all cars are headed. I'll be taking the cars that do not have it thanks. Is it so hard to just want a car without all this nannifying and computerated bull****?
 
I thought Audi's MMI was a little easier to master than iDrive, but I havent had any seat time with the new Mercedes thingy (I can't remember the technical name)...
 
live4speed
VW reliability is superb, so is Audi's, US VW's might not be great, but they're built in Mexico, the Audi's should be just as good as our's though.

Where did you hear that ? I am really astonished how VW still manages it to make people believe that they stand for quality... Maybe 20 years ago....

As for the topic... It really depends what you like. All three manufactures have nice models, some are for sports lovers other for luxury lovers etc.
I wouldn't buy one although I could afford them. They just don't deliver. I can get way better performance in japanese cars for the same money. I am not 50, so I don't care for leather and interior perfection. And the insurence/gas usage argument is lame, since it doesn't matter if you pay 10 k $ less in the beginning....

I mean take my STi, there is simply no Audi, Mercedes or BMW that can compete with it performancewise below 50 K EUR. I payed like 37 k EUR.
Or the Civic Type R of my dad. Show me a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for 22 k EUR that can win a race against it....

Before you start flaming, I know that there are other things than performance...

Oh and what I read some posts above.... the M, S and AMG thing. Well, just go to your local tuner with your 350 Z, STi, EVO etc and you'll end up with a faster car for less money.
 
They are, having owned a few VAG car's in the past (and owning one at the moment) I can say from experience, that they are. I don't know anyone who's had any problems with VW's, r Audi's and believe me, there's a hell of a lot of VW and audi driver's in Manchester.
 
If you get a leon cupra R and chip it it gives out 260bhp and if you get the octavia vRS 4wd and chip it and slap on a sport exhaust your looking at around 280bhp.

My families had several VAG cars also and they didnt give us any trouble either and my friend has a 1.8T cabriolet and hes had trouble free motoring.
 
For anyone interested, theres an Audi RS4 v M3 CS on 5th gear right now.

Audi won the drag races, by a mile, all SEVEN of them.

They're going to drift them soon, then no doubt hot lap them after that.
 
live4speed
They are, having owned a few VAG car's in the past (and owning one at the moment) I can say from experience, that they are. I don't know anyone who's had any problems with VW's, r Audi's and believe me, there's a hell of a lot of VW and audi driver's in Manchester.

I live between Munich and Ingolstadt and I know a ton of people that had severe problems with Bmw, Audi and especially VW... some are lucky, some are not I guess....
 
live4speed
For anyone interested, theres an Audi RS4 v M3 CS on 5th gear right now.

Audi won the drag races, by a mile, all SEVEN of them.

They're going to drift them soon, then no doubt hot lap them after that.

Noooooooooooooooo I was meaning to watch that Ive missed it. Do they do repeats?
 
...VAG quality is indeed hit and miss, but from my expiriences, all of our VAG cars have been (for the most part) problem free. To me, there are several factors that decide the overall quality:

1) Was it built in Mexico or Germany? (sometimes Brazil as well)
2) What day was it built on?
3) Did Frank or Andrew put your VW together? Some people are a little more skilled...
 
5th gear is still on channel 5 now, they've only done the first part of the test (the drag race), they'll do the drifitng and hot lapping etc pretty soon. They'er on the Alfa Brera at the moment.
 
Well the RS4 won the drag races, the M3 CS won the drifting, the RS4 won the race, comfortably. They did think you could probably enjoy the M3 on a track more than the RS4, in all other way's, the RS4 is better.
 
I was going to stay away from this thread, since most of these become vanilla or chocolate ice cream threads, but I need to correct some data.

live4speed
It's not as fast as the RS4, the RS4 is more powerful, faster on a track and lighter than the M3.

The RS4 is heavier than the E46 M3 by almost 200 lbs.

RS4 (2005- ) 3637 lbs. / 1650 kg ;
Base Price US $66,000 / Germany EUR 69,900 / UK £50,025

M3 (2001-2006) 3450 lbs. / 1565 kg ;
Base Price US $48,000 / Germany EUR 56,900 / UK £42,450

My 2 cents: The RS4 is 4 years late to the party and in the US market, costs ~35% more than the E46 M3. I would expect it to do better, wouldn't you?


M
 
Is there an error there or does BMW hates / Audi loves British people? :p
 
Carl.
Is there an error there or does BMW hates / Audi loves British people? :p

Yep. Mismatched UK M3/RS4 prices. Fixed now.


M
 
///M-Spec
I was going to stay away from this thread, since most of these become vanilla or chocolate ice cream threads, but I need to correct some data.



The RS4 is heavier than the E46 M3 by almost 200 lbs.

RS4 (2005- ) 3637 lbs. / 1650 kg ;
Base Price US $66,000 / Germany EUR 69,900 / UK £50,025

M3 (2001-2006) 3450 lbs. / 1565 kg ;
Base Price US $48,000 / Germany EUR 56,900 / UK £42,450

My 2 cents: The RS4 is 4 years late to the party and in the US market, costs ~35% more than the E46 M3. I would expect it to do better, wouldn't you?


M
I've read site's and magazines that say the RS4 weights 1550kg's, but upon further inspection, I've seen some that say 1650 as well, I couldn't find a weight on the official Audi site.

Also it's not 35% more expensive over here, but if it was, I'd agree completley that the M3 is by far the better choice. The RS4 has been such a success that there's almost a year's waiting list for the current one. It absolutely smashes the base M3, in terms of performance it's more of a CSL rival, and even thern the Audi should win, I kid you not.
 
by my calculations the RS4 is 70kg/154lbs heavier than the M3.
 
On the VW issue, I think they're pretty well made cars.

After seeing the Jetta commercials, I thought they were fake, but it appears the new Jetta really has safety all around after reading that those accidents are actual accidents (staged yes, but the car damage, no).

Hell, in the next 2 years or so, I'd actually think about buying one used. I drove the old R32 years back, and found that to be a joy besides the shifting in traffic.
 
...Good luck finding a nice R32. If they havent been bought up by die-hard VW fans, they have been modified by VW fans, and they probably won't be looking to sell for quite some time. It's going to be like the 337 and GTI 20th Anniversary, bought up quick by collectors never to be driven by the public again [/sarcasm].
 
live4speed
I've read site's and magazines that say the RS4 weights 1550kg's, but upon further inspection, I've seen some that say 1650 as well, I couldn't find a weight on the official Audi site.

Also it's not 35% more expensive over here, but if it was, I'd agree completley that the M3 is by far the better choice. The RS4 has been such a success that there's almost a year's waiting list for the current one. It absolutely smashes the base M3, in terms of performance it's more of a CSL rival, and even thern the Audi should win, I kid you not.

Let me make a couple of things perfectly clear. First, I happen to view RS4 with a mixture of admiration/lust and would give it hard consideration if I had 70 grand burning a hole in my pocket (I don't). I am not here to discredit or play down this vehicle because there is no question it has raised the bar for what a sports sedan can be.

Second, the is also no question the RS4's level of objective performance is greater than the M3 or M3 CS. This is matter of simple math and I don't think anyone will dispute this.

However, I will take exception to the statement that the RS4 "smashes" the M3. I don't usually quibble over word choice, but in this case I think this is an exaggeration. I have with me the 2/2006 issue of Evo magazine where they do a comparo test with the RS4 vs. M3 CS vs. C55 AMG.

At the Bedford Autodrome 1.8 mile West Circuit, here were their lap times.

RS4 - 1:28.6
M3 CS - 1:29.8
C55 AMG - 1:30.1

They also noted the CS was delivered on brand new tires and thought it would have gone faster if they had a few more miles on them.

Now, 1.2 seconds on a 1.8 mile course is a decisive win, but not really enough to warrant "smash". Smash is what a Caterham R500 does to all these cars with a 1:19.62.

By way of comparison...

350Z - 1:32.05
R32 - 1:32.55
Fiesta ST - 1:36.15
Evo IX MR FQ-340 - 1:24.55
911 GT3 RS - 1:23.85

Let me try to put a 1.2 second advantage into perspective. You are racing in GT4 with a friend and both of you put in a stellar lap in different cars. If your margin of victory is 1.2 seconds, would you say that you "smashed" your buddy in the next seat? Maybe if you were talking smack, but not if you were being honest. He'd have been looming in your mirror the entire time, not loafing around 2 corners back.

1.2 seconds is also the difference between a warm up lap and flying lap in the same car. Take a car in GT4 and drive 10 laps on an average track. Even if you are very consistant driver, I would wager that your fastest lap is at least 2 seconds ahead of your slowest.

Again, not trying to discredit the RS4. Just trying to put it's speed advantage into proper perspective. It's faster, just not a whole catagory faster.

And FWIW, Evo picked the M3 CS over the RS4 as the better car.

The M3 CSL is closer in performance to a 996 GT3 and I doubt an RS4 can compete with it on a technical circuit. Oddly, this issue of Evo I have here doesn't have the CSL's times at Bedford. I have the CSL issue somewhere in a closet, so when I get home, I'll look for it.

BTW, according to the BMWUSA.com website. They list the M3 Coupe as having a curb weight of 3415 pounds (1549kg). That is, all fluids and full tank of gas without driver. I checked the audiusa.com website and they list the curb weight as N/A.


M
 
Audi is at a disadvantage of the engine axel position. Im expecting some great M3 VS RS5 battles over the course of the next 2 years.

A CSL would beat a RS4 but a RS4 does smash the M3 CS if were talking about 'ring laptimes. Once the new M3 is out, that will undoubtedly be the faster car on the race track. On the roads though Id put my money on the RS4, and if I was a family man then my money would go on a RS4, but if I wasnt it would be M3 all the way baby.
 
///M-Spec
Let me make a couple of things perfectly clear. First, I happen to view RS4 with a mixture of admiration/lust and would give it hard consideration if I had 70 grand burning a hole in my pocket (I don't). I am not here to discredit or play down this vehicle because there is no question it has raised the bar for what a sports sedan can be.
Hmm, I never implied you were trying to discredit the RS4 or anything remotely close to that, I apologise if that's how I came across, but even after re-reading my post you quoted, I still don't see how you came to that conclusion, I think maybe you missunderstood me maybe.

Second, the is also no question the RS4's level of objective performance is greater than the M3 or M3 CS. This is matter of simple math and I don't think anyone will dispute this.
Agreed.

However, I will take exception to the statement that the RS4 "smashes" the M3. I don't usually quibble over word choice, but in this case I think this is an exaggeration. I have with me the 2/2006 issue of Evo magazine where they do a comparo test with the RS4 vs. M3 CS vs. C55 AMG.
The standard M3 was beaten very comfortably by the RS4 in both TopGear tests (mag and TV tests) and the M3 CSL was beat on the test track by a few seconds. I wasn't saying the RS4 smashes the M3 CSL,but the standard the M3, I'm sorry if the word smashes in this context has offended you, however that's not my problem and the phrash "smashes it" is rather open to interpretation of how extremem you are actually referring to, maybe not the best descriptive phrase as a result of that, and in the way I used it it was limited to car's in the same class like the RS4 and M3, when you get two car's in the same class, a decisive win can be reffered to in that way imo. In performance, straight line and circuit, every time I've seen backs up that the RS4 is faster than the M3 and comfortably faster.

Now, 1.2 seconds on a 1.8 mile course is a decisive win, but not really enough to warrant "smash". Smash is what a Caterham R500 does to all these cars with a 1:19.62.
Well different people use descriptive words differently, but the Caterham R500 is a totally different class of car altogether, and was built to do just what it did. Let me explain what I meant later.

Let me try to put a 1.2 second advantage into perspective. You are racing in GT4 with a friend and both of you put in a stellar lap in different cars. If your margin of victory is 1.2 seconds, would you say that you "smashed" your buddy in the next seat? Maybe if you were talking smack, but not if you were being honest. He'd have been looming in your mirror the entire time, not loafing around 2 corners back.
I know how long 1.2 seconds is, and what the difference can be made up by, I can also tell you that on the TopGear test track the RS4 beat the M3 CSL by 2.4 seconds but that's really nothing to state as who's better, the CSL was in the wet, but it beat the normal M3 by 5.2 seconds and the M3 was in the dry. I can also tell you that round the Ring the M3 CSL beat the RS4 by around 6 seconds, but the RS4 beat the M3 by over 20 seconds. Now Ring time's arn't definitive thanks to the less controled conditions you have to lap in, and I'm sure all three car's could on a free track pull off faster lap's, but then you add the RS4 beating the M3 CS at Bedford, then the RS4 comfortably beating the M3 CS on 5th gear yesterday, I think it's safe to say, the RS4 is superior to the M3 but not quite as quick as the CSL, but it's clser to the CSL then to the M3, and consistenly so.

Again, not trying to discredit the RS4. Just trying to put it's speed advantage into proper perspective. It's faster, just not a whole catagory faster.
I never said it was, I was never comparing a concord to a glider, two car's in the same class, one beates the other in every performance test done between the two, I class that as smashing it, if you don't, fair enough, but just like your not trying to discredit the RS4, I'm not trying to discredit the M3, at the end of the day, that's probably the more enjoyable car to take to the track, and in that case 1.2 seconds will hardly matter. I'm the first to argue that performance isn't everything in terms of what makes a great car, but I speak of performance alone, and I was in this instance. However, that's not to say I thnik the M3 is the better car overall, it depends how you're going to use your car I suppose.

And FWIW, Evo picked the M3 CS over the RS4 as the better car.
I know that, I read Evo.

The M3 CSL is closer in performance to a 996 GT3 and I doubt an RS4 can compete with it on a technical circuit. Oddly, this issue of Evo I have here doesn't have the CSL's times at Bedford. I have the CSL issue somewhere in a closet, so when I get home, I'll look for it.
That depends, current GT3 or last GT3, it was pretty close to the last GT3 on the Ring, but I don't have any other times other than the TopGear lap but that's the GT3 RS which is a a good couple of seconds faster than the GT3. The new GT3 is supposed to be a lot faster than the old one, but I'd say the last GT3 is fastest, the CSL just behind it and the RS4 just behind that, the the M3 CS and the M3 behind the RS4. As I said, I was never comapring it to the CSL when I said, "smashes" only the standard M3 and t was in the context as described above.

BTW, according to the BMWUSA.com website. They list the M3 Coupe as having a curb weight of 3415 pounds (1549kg). That is, all fluids and full tank of gas without driver. I checked the audiusa.com website and they list the curb weight as N/A.
The RS4 is probably 1650, I've seen figuers saying it's 1550 but moer site's I've seen saying 1550kg's have more incorrect figure's on car's I know the spec of, that the site's that asy 1650kg's, I'm not going to aruge on that line.
 
live4speed
Hmm, I never implied you were trying to discredit the RS4 or anything remotely close to that, I apologies if that's how I came across, but even after re-reading my post you quoted, I still don't see how you came to that conclusion, I think maybe you missunderstood me maybe.

Oh, no, no. Apologies not needed. I realize that because I quoted you, it may have sounded as if I was directing it towards you alone --perhaps even in a defensive or hostile manner. Not the case at all.

I wanted to put out that first point because I've seems lots of these types of threads turn into unbridled brand jingoism. Given my well known loyalties in the direction of Munich, I wanted to level-set my subsequent posts: I might have the M tricolors in my avatar/garage but that doesn't mean I'm unwilling to look objectively at the Audi and give it a fair shake. That's all.

Consider it a pre-emptive strike against any future arguments (not from you) that I might be biased. ;)

live4speed
The standard M3 was beaten very comfortably by the RS4 in both TopGear tests (mag and TV tests) and the M3 CSL was beat on the test track by a few seconds. I wasn't saying the RS4 smashes the M3 CSL,but the standard the M3,

Let me search around for the test. I don't read TopGear.

live4speed
I'm sorry if the word smashes in this context has offended you, however that's not my problem and the phrash "smashes it" is rather open to interpretation of how extremem you are actually referring to, maybe not the best descriptive phrase as a result of that, and in the way I used it it was limited to car's in the same class like the RS4 and M3, when you get two car's in the same class, a decisive win can be reffered to in that way imo.

Again, no apologies needed. You didn't offend me personally. I just disagree with the degree of the RS4's superior performance. Nothing more.

I guess that might be my doing, since "taking exception" to something classically means taking offense. Next time I'll choose a different phrase.

live4speed
I never said it was, I was never comparing a concord to a glider, two car's in the same class, one beates the other in every performance test done between the two, I class that as smashing it, if you don't, fair enough, but just like your not trying to discredit the RS4, I'm not trying to discredit the M3, at the end of the day, that's probably the more enjoyable car to take to the track, and in that case 1.2 seconds will hardly matter.

Fair enough. Again, I called it what it was: quibbling over words. To me smashing implies overwhelming, indisputable superiority. The kind of hardcore beat down that you get if an M1A2 tank rolled over a Ford Focus. I just don't see that happening here.

I forgot who may have said this, but someone once observed that "the British people and the American people are two distinct cultures divided by a common language". This might be a case in point here.

live4speed
That depends, current GT3 or last GT3...

I said 996 GT3, which would be the last one.


M
 
///M-Spec
I forgot who may have said this, but someone once observed that "the British people and the American people are two distinct cultures divided by a common language". This might be a case in point here.
Indeed, thank's for the reply, glad I didn't offend :tpu:.
 
Back