Audi VS BMW VS Merc

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCE
  • 88 comments
  • 3,329 views

Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes Benz

  • Audi

    Votes: 12 26.1%
  • BMW

    Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Merc

    Votes: 11 23.9%

  • Total voters
    46
Merc every time.
 
Actually Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, are way better then any German, English or American car you can buy. My next car will be Japanese because they build good, reliable cars.
 
well im hands down BMW. its german engineering at its finest. the M3/3 Series, one of the best selling and performing cars ever. the M5, i dont have to say anything. its just an amazing car.now granted, audi and mercedes have their good points. as someone posted this prior to my posting:
poverty
Mercedes make the most comfortable cars.
BMW make the sportiest cars
Audi make the best all rounder.

BMW makes the fastest racetrack cars.
Audi make the fastest road cars.
MB makes the fastest highway cruisers.

Audi makes beautiful elegant contemporary cars.
MB makes beautiful agressive and classy cars.
BMW makes beautiful aggressive cars and ugly non aggressive cars.

Audi makes good engines
Mercedes makes good engines
BMW makes good engines

Audi makes the best estates
MB make good estates
BMW makes ok estates

Audis have the best interior
Mecedes have good interiors
BMW have ok interiors.

MB have a toffee nose image.
BMW has a pratts image
Audi has a good image.

Audi offers the best bodykit for non-RS models.
BMW is offers mini M-bodykits for some of their cars.
MB offers AMG bodykits for most of theyre cars.

that is well put. but BMW has the better overall performers in racing and BMW has progressed smoothly over the years. im biased too :)
 
BlazinXtreme
Actually Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, are way better then any German, English or American car you can buy. My next car will be Japanese because they build good, reliable cars.
In some way's, in luxury and trim most arn't, in electronic reliability most are a bit better. In mechanical reliability then some are, some arn't. By some arn't I mean a lot are on par, very few Japanese car's are worse in this regard, but a lot of European car's are getting on par with them.
 
In America a Japanese car will be cheaper though, so it's a better buy. I thought it would be a cold day in hell when I said I wanted a Japanese car, but that's some indication of what I think is going on with American car companies though.
 
Over here Japanese car's are priced generally, around their respective European car's, so it's down to personal preferrence most of the time. I more often than not prefer the European model, they usually look nicer inside and out, though there's some Japanese car's I like the look of quite a bit.
 
I like the honda accord and the civic type-r's.

However the lexus IS isnt as good as the german counterpart, the japanese also havent got any cars that could hold a candle to the s-class or A8 or the SUV's they make, or the almighty 3. Then theres also the M, AMG and RS versions which the japanese have no reply to.
 
I don't think you could ever, and I mean ever, convince me to buy an Acura RL (Legend for ya'all), Lexus GS, etc... They are just too boring on the outside, on the inside, and on the road. I may have been spoiled driving German cars for the past few years, and growing up around American cars may have tainted my view of Japanese models, but they arent as good as so many people think.

Low-Lux: CTS 3.6 vs X-Type vs Saab 9-3 vs Volvo S60 vs A4 3.2 vs C430 vs 330i vs IS330 vs G35... Unquestionably I am going to go with the Bimmer. I don't care if it is slower, I don't care if it has electronic problems... Simply put, it is one of the best driving cars on all of planet Earth, period.

Mid-Lux: STS V8 vs S-Type vs Volvo S80 vs A6 4.2 vs E500 vs 550i vs GS450 vs M45... I'm buying a Caddy. I can't stand the 5-series, it just isnt what it used to be. I don't like the GS (too much computer crap), and the M45 is a little too harsh for a luxury ride. Caddy might be a bit more expensive, and it may underperform, and hell, it might not be built as well... But atleast with a Cadillac, I know I'm going to be able to sleep at night knowing I bought something that isnt going to tell me how to drive.

Full-Lux: DTS 4.6 vs XJ8 Vanden Plas vs A8 vs S550 vs 750i vs LS450 vs Q45... I'm going with the Jag on this one. It is by far the best looking, and offers the best balance of all the aformentioned vehicles. Like the GS, the LS has too many supercomputers controling the car, and for the Q45... When was the last time it was compeditive?

The only (and I mean ONLY) Japanese cars you could convince me to buy right now would be the Honda Fit Sport and the Honda S2000. Almost every other Japanese model is just too "vanilla" to the American "stawberry" and the German "chocolate" flavors. Boring, slow, increasingly unreliable the Japanese models have become, esp. those comming from the docks of Toyota. You name any Japanese car, and I could probably think of a few good reasons not to buy it... High price, high insurance costs, and rising repair costs are all turn-offs for me. I buy American, and I buy German. Unless Honda figures out a way to make their dealers a little more pleasent to visit, I don't think I will be dropping buy again for a while...
 
In general, Japanese cars are great, reliable little machines, but many of them are boring, and older ones have taken to rust much, much, much quicker and worse than their German counterparts.
 
JCE3000GT
The 3-series wins vs normal A4 models I agree and maybe even the S4--but the RS4 completely owns the M3--and I think that is unquestioned. Even taken the CSL vs RS4 if I had the money I'd still probably get the RS4--even though I love the CSL.
of course we are comparing a new current RS4 against the last gen M3.

wait till the V8 powered M3 comes out then it will be an equitable comparison.
 
Not really since the current M3 is still in poduction, it'd be the next RS4 that will be competing with the nex M3, when the next M3 comes out, that will be new and the current RS4 will be nearing it's end.
 
that is really splitting hairs and you know it.

the E46 has been replaced in sedan and wagon form, and the coupes are done too i think. the current M3 is still on the last gen 3 series coupe chassis; the E46. so its effectively a last gen car.

the Gwagen is still in production. doesnt make it the latest most contemporary version
the W124 mercedes body and engines (1985-1995 mercedes 300E) are still in production in korea as the ssanyong chairman (or something like that)
there are bikes from the fifties being produced in india right now. complete with sidecar.
and dont get me started on russian cars.
 
But the current 3 series wasn't in production when the new RS4 came out, the two model's have overlapped, by the time the next M3 comes out, the current RS4 will be getting ready for replacement, so no, it's not splitting hairs.
 
BMW>Audi>Merc

I have a 330i and love the way it drives. It's good to see Audi and Merc making cars better to drive as they have recently. That new RS4 is very good from what I've seen/read.
 
live4speed
But the current 3 series wasn't in production when the new RS4 came out, the two model's have overlapped, by the time the next M3 comes out, the current RS4 will be getting ready for replacement, so no, it's not splitting hairs.

so what you're saying is you're ok with comparing a previous gen (body) car with a latest gen from another?


i realise that since the debuts of the cars doenst coincide that there should be some leeway, and the later will always be a riposte to the earlier, but the significant change in engine (blown V6 vs NA V8) would signifythat the change needs to be made at the other company for a valid comparison.

but obviously thats not material as you see it.
 
Yes, because both were on sale at the same time, by any logic that both should come out at the same time, the M3 and RS4 should never be compared since they aren't lauched or discontinued at he same times. The last gen 3 series was still being manufacturerd when the RS4 was launched, simple as, if the RS4 came out this year, fair enough, but it didn't, it came out while the last gen 3 series were being manufacturerd and sold.
 
no, my logic says its not fair to compare one thats being replaced in less than a year with one that is fresh out the box.
 
of course we are comparing a new current RS4 against the last gen M3.

wait till the V8 powered M3 comes out then it will be an equitable comparison.

Well actually the current B7 audi was built to battle it against the E46. The E90 is now a gen ahead of the current A4 which includes the RS4.
 
Exactley, the competitive Audi tends to come out after the next gen BMW, that's been the trend for ages, so what you're actually proposing is an unfair comparison with the "fresh out the box" BMW M3 when it comes out next year, with a model that will be finished within a year from then.

As far as I'm concerned though, if two car's competing in the same market segment, are on sale at the same time, regardless of which came out first, you can compare the two. If the current RS4 is still on sale when the next M3 comes out, you bet they will be compared, and I expect the next M3 to be better than the current RS4, but when the new A4 and provides the basis for the new RS4, I expect that to be better still.
 
My grandfather is a big Audi quattro man, who has only owned Audis with the Quattro AWD system since before I was born.

However, BMW is currently leading this pack according to what I watch and read.

In the smallest class there is the 1series, A3, Aclass. The A3 is the only car here that isnt an overpriced badge on wheels so it wins.

In the larger class, its clearly the 3 series. The only compeditor is the G35 from Infiniti. The A4 is next but way behind those two. The Lexus IS350 is good but not great, suffering from Mercedes-syndrome.

I love the look of the gorgeous 5-series, though the M45 is probably the best in this class. The RL is great too. The Audi is no better than the BMW, so the styling of the BMW takes it to the top for me.

I dont know too much about the full-size class so ill leave that out.

Z4 is better than TT, no one can deny that. And the old X5 will need to be replaced. The X3 has no compeditor, even if it is ugly and not very good. 6-series is good, audi has nothing here either though.

That leaves the high performance and BMW runs away with it. The RS4 may be more practical and more powerful, but the M3 is the M3!
 
I still think its funny that it is only because of the Americans that the M5 and M6 will recieve 6-speed manual transmissions for 2007.... That should make them a little more appealing to me, ohh wait, they still use iDrive power-setup similar to what is needed to engage Picard's Enterprise...

RS4 vs M3: Not really a fair competition, but it has been done before, and the M3 proved itself to not be far behind the RS4 in most circumstances. I'd still call the RS4 the winner in this situation, but the M3 will always be a winner for it's general "homegrown sportscar" feeling.

I pray to the automotive Gods that BMW doesnt destroy all that it good with the M3 by attaching it to every computer they can think of. It destroyed the M5 and M6, and seeing the same happen to the M3 would be some horrible of epic porportions...
 
Yeah, 'cause we all know the Enterprise could be engaged by a single button...

3r4sg.jpg


O NOES!!11!1!1 WE HAVE TO PRESS A BUTTON!!!1!11!!1 :lol:
 
Z4 is better than TT, no one can deny that.

We dont know about the new TT yet but it will be hard to beat the Z4. The Z4 is butt ugly though, id rather have a SLK.

6-series is good, audi has nothing here either though.

Not yet, but I think the CLS or SL is better than the 6.

The RS4 may be more practical and more powerful, but the M3 is the M3!

:(
 
The TT is for middle aged women though, I mean for god sakes my mom loves the car. I would much rather have a Z4.
 
:lol: My mum has a TT and she's 41.
 
1. BMW - all RWD, high tech (M5 V10), offer manuals with every level of 1,3, 5 and 6 series (except M5).
2. Audi - great interiors, don't like Quattro, but fabulous looking, high tech cars, but questionable VW reliablility.
3. Merc - should stop the hp wars and look at handling, and more tech, isntead of just slapping on twin turbos or a s/c to every amg car. the new 6.3 is a great engine though, but AMG needs to start putting manuals into their cars. What's the point of all that hp if you can't enjoy it?
 
Wolfe2x7
Yeah, 'cause we all know the Enterprise could be engaged by a single button...

3r4sg.jpg


O NOES!!11!1!1 WE HAVE TO PRESS A BUTTON!!!1!11!!1 :lol:

I do suggest some of you also read the reviews on the M5, espcially the one by Roundel. I faintly remember them reporting this was a button on the M6 as well to bring the car into a full-on drive mode.

I'd ask ///M-Spec though.
 
Raghavan
2. Audi - great interiors, don't like Quattro, but fabulous looking, high tech cars, but questionable VW reliablility.
VW reliability is superb, so is Audi's, US VW's might not be great, but they're built in Mexico, the Audi's should be just as good as our's though.
 
if i could choose between a AMG Merc (those are the only ones i would have!), M car (M3, M5, Z4 M) or a RS4, i would go with the RS4 because it looks the best, its a four door, but yuo'll probably wondering why i don't go with the N5 because its the same but with a V10 instead of a V8, is because my dad has a A4 S line and i just prefer the audi because of that!
 
Back