August Car of the Month - Rotary Powered Mazda RX500!!

Correction 584PP had it over 190mph on Sierra has plenty of legs left :dunce:

SH

7:39 (Dirty) Nurburgring Nordschlieffe

Body GT Polarized 009-P
Wheels Gold Chrome
Calipers Velocity Yellow Turbovet

LSD

Initial 10

Accel 25

Brake 12

Suspension

105mm Front and Rear

Spring Rate 4.49 4.97

Damp comp 3 3

Damp exte 3 3

Anti Roll Bar 4 4

No toe

Camber 0.5 1.5

Brake Balance 5/5

Weight Red 3

Engine Tuning 3

Race Exhaust

Isometric exhaust manifold

intake tuning

Catalytic converter

High RPM Turbo

Window Weight reduction

Max Speed 174

1 3.752
2 2.458
3 1.751
4 1.321
5 1.054

Final 3.900

I DON'T KNOW IF IT DRIVES BETTER with updated lsd tweek yet and removed toe and possibly Camber as these are superficial in most cases ... there is definitely more time to be had out of this clean with a higher top speed the redline madness might be increased :lol: Need food I'll keep you posted :crazy:

Last edited:
So, as always I will bring attempting to review as many tunes as possible. Will start by doing 1 by each tuner and then possibly more as time permits. @Thorin Cain applied rigidity improvement, and although the first posted, may be closer to last reviewed, but certainly will get done. Besides, I have the funds to simply buy another car :sly:

First up:

@shaunm80 500pp review:

I waited a few days to do the latest 500pp Seasonal at Indy, needed to get my login bonus back up and finish another side project. But what better place to test the posted 500pp tunes and earn credits at the same time? Not that I really need them.

Off to Indy, not a track that excites me by any stretch, but not my least favorite either. I have found turn 1 braking tricky and a pain depending on the car, this one was no issue other than lap 1 but that was the traffic not the tune. Mid track switch backs can be tricky with tail happy cars as well, but again, this time laughed at the notion of problems. Just flowed with ease, some minor throttle control and keep pushing on.

Then we get to the slow corners, switching right then left, likely the reason this track loses luster for me. All joy and rhythm get lost here. Although the tune faired well, 2nd gear may be just a touch long and acceleration off can suffer if not pushing the limits. Once up to speed however, smooth sailing and excellent grip until we shall return to the test of patience corners. Fun race, great car for it too. Easy win even while learning a tune. And a free 'Vette too! As if I needed another.

Now I need another track, and decided on International B Classic Supercar event at Nurb GP/F. Tricky turn 1 again, but plenty of corners to really test it out. Miura and GT40 to chase down but the tune was more than up for it. Funny how the GT found enough speed to hang on my bumper after I passed though. Anyway, the tune Shaun gives us here just ran wild and felt at home here. Great brakes, wonderful gearing and spot on suspension
No complaints with the LSD EITHER! Sad part was it was only 2 laps but makes for a fun ride in the event, doing multiple times to really enjoy is recommended, though you Will not earn as much as at Indy, you will have a greater smile on your face doing it:D

Awesome tune đź‘Ť
Best time @ Indy - 1:44.125
Best time @ Nurb GP/F - 2:18.602

Last edited:
First up:

@shaunm80 500pp review:

I waited a few days to do the latest 500pp Seasonal at Indy, needed to get my login bonus back up and finish another side project. But what better place to test the posted 500pp tunes and earn credits at the same time? Not that I really need them.

Off to Indy, not a track that excites me by any stretch, but not my least favorite either. I have found turn 1 braking tricky and a pain depending on the car, this one was no issue other than lap 1 but that was the traffic not the tune. Mid track switch backs can be tricky with tail happy cars as well, but again, this time laughed at the notion of problems. Just flowed with ease, some minor throttle control and keep pushing on.

Then we get to the slow corners, switching right then left, likely the reason this track loses luster for me. All joy and rhythm get lost here. Although the tune faired well, 232nd gear may be just a touch long and acceleration off can suffer if not pushing the limits. Once up to speed however, smooth sailing and excellent grip until we shall return to the test of patience corners. Fun race, great car for it too. Easy win even while learning a tune. And a free 'Vette too! As if I needed another.

Now I need another track, and decided on International B Classic Supercar event at Nurb GP/F. Tricky turn 1 again, but plenty of corners to really test it out. Miura and GT40 to chase down but the tune was more than up for it. Funny how the GT found enough speed to hang on my bumper after I passed though. Anyway, the tune Shaun gives us here just ran wild and felt at home here. Great brakes, wonderful gearing and spot on suspension
No complaints with the LSD EITHER! Sad part was it was only 2 laps but makes for a fun ride in the event, doing multiple times to really enjoy is recommended, though you Will not earn as much as at Indy, you will have a greater smile on your face doing it:D

Awesome tune đź‘Ť
Best time @ Indy - 1:44.125
Best time @ Nurb GP/F - 2:18.602
Thats a great first review. I know that this car was way beyond its time in terms of performance but I am impressed that you found 232nd gear.. ;)

Thanks for the comments and I am glad you enjoyed this car/tune combination. It has put a smile on my face through recent TT events as well. I prefer this to the motorbike although it isn't quite as fast, i enjoy driving this car much more.

Thats a great first review. I know that this car was way beyond its time in terms of performance but I am impressed that you found 232nd gear.. ;)

Thanks for the comments and I am glad you enjoyed this car/tune combination. It has put a smile on my face through recent TT events as well. I prefer this to the motorbike although it isn't quite as fast, i enjoy driving this car much more.
Gotta love auto incorrect.:grumpy:

Great tune, try it at GP/F ;), you will be addicted.

Mazda RX500 '70
475 PP, 244 hp, 840 kg
Weight Distribution 50:50

20686498962_31d814b72e_z.jpg

Tuned with G27 with Nixim Brake Pedal Mod

Installed Parts
Sport Hard Tires
Fully Customizable Suspension
Fully Customizable Transmission
Fully Customizable LSD
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Window Weight Reduction

Tune
Ride Height 88/90
Springs 5.25/6.00
Dampers Compression 4/3
Dampers Extension 6/7
Anti-Roll Bars 4/3
Camber 0.0/0.0
Toe -0.05/0.15
Brake balance 6/2
LSD 12/12/38
Power Level 98.8%
Ballast 0 kg
Ballast Position 0

Transmission
Final Gear to 4.000
Max Speed to 112 (never touch again)
1st gear 4.650
2nd gear 3.100
3rd gear 2.275
4th gear 1.800
5th gear 1.500
Final gear 2.900 (adjust this to hit red line at the end of the longest straight)

Last edited:
Up next, @Burned_Rubber review:

When looking over the numbers, I noticed several things, not bad and not critiquing but just an observation. I noticed your Comp and Ext settings were reversed to what I tend to like, and lots of positive rear toe. Also added weight to the rear of a car that likes to break loose in the rear on occasion.
Well, like I said it's not a bad thing and I like trying different approaches, and I rather enjoyed this one. The feel is different slightly but the results are very similar to the others and my own. The biggest difference noticed was on entry, mine and @shaunm80 as well as @sinof1337 could break loose while braking into the corner. Your tune had no issues there, but a few times caught me when releasing the brakes at mid-corner. Not a big deal and just something for me to get used to. The dampers gave good overall grip and lots of stability, I like grip and stable tunes so felt comfortable in this one. The rear toe being at 0.30 did not hurt rotation either as I suspected it might. The brakes were great and the gearing well set up, I took it to Indy Seasonal to try it out first, same as the others with the slow corner exit being slow to accel but a rocket once up to speed. And it put down a good lap and easily won the race with no issues to speak of. Nice job đź‘Ť

Then it was off to Nurb GP/F, enjoyed it too much in shaun's so why not repeat the testing procedure. And like his tune, this car really runs well and feels great at this track. Put away the rabbits and then drove away from them. Had one minor little incident coming off of one corner but it was more driver than tune. Really enjoyed this ride, and the unique paint as well. Would have to give this tune đź‘Ťđź‘Ť for enjoyment and would highly recommend others give it a go at GP/F. Smile warning however, it may cause too much fun.:D

Best Lap Indy - 1:44.231
Best Lap Nurb GP/f - 2:18.335

@sinof1337 500pp Review:

So he is getting to be quite the contender, fighting for M Power Podium and now taking the top with the latest FITT challenge in the Pagani. Well, it was only a matter of time as cream does tend to rise to the top. My review will pale in comparison to the tremendous work you put out, but I shall do my best.

Congrats again by the way.:dopey:

As with @shaunm80, I am beginning to know what to expect from your tunes and this one did not disappoint. The handling was great and it's no surprise as the suspension numbers are very similar to my own and shaun's, therefore it should be easy to get used to very quick. And it was, with better rear end stability than mine perhaps, but the listed final gear was waaay too short for where I was going to be testing it so I lowered to 3.300. Off to Indy Seasonal, and I was starting to think I went too low with the guess on the final gear until I got to the main straight away. It was blinking at the limit right at the start/finish line although I was catching some draft. The following two laps were the same however, but it never hit the top. And this made for a wicked quick lap, not that I was pushing any of these tunes to get the most out of them, more pushing around 90% to get a good feel. No issues and no complaints, just a fast tune and an easy win.

So next it was back to GP/F and another smile fest. I'm really liking this track lately, and these tunes are helping. It felt better than the others tested so far, and never got out of shape unless I was too aggressive with the throttle, and that was only once. Braking zones are easy to find, gearing just right with 3.300 final and I already mentioned the suspension...blah blah blah, nice tune, fun ride, slow down your making me look slow, yadda yadda yadda.

Oh wait, sorry, did I really type that?

Seriously though, this car is a hidden gem at 500pp as the testing tunes will a test. Fun car that needs more use in my opinion. And wait until you see the lap time for GP/F. :scared:

Best Lap Indy - 1:44.112
Best Lap Nurb GP/F - 2:16.632

"The Underdog: @Motor City Hami " 475pp review:

So I call it the "underdog" not because it's Hami but because it is the lowest pp tune posted. Still, knowing the tuner, I decided to take it to the Indy Seasonal anyway. Surely even down 25pp should not prevent this car from winning, and it did not. However, I built the setup after the final run in @sinof1337 tune and forgot to check the final gear before entering the track. And of course, with the long straight it was too short and bouncing off of the limiter. But still managed an impressive time, so I lowered to 2.700 and retried the event. Easy win number two. The final gear adjustment was still maybe a touch short but did give another 10mph on the front stretch, although the 2nd lap was only a blink faster than the previous race's best. So on the final lap I pushed it to see just how much I was able to get and was not disappointed (you will have to wait until the end for lap times). As for the rest of the setup, typical Hami here. The rear could step out just a touch but only in one corner and easy to correct with proper entry. Brakes and LSD were perfect, and the gearing was spaced out just right. Another solid and fun tune to play around with, even if only 475pp.

So I thought Nurb GP/F was pushing the envelope just a bit so instead headed to Midfield, my personal 500pp SH testing ground to compare it to the tunes I've tested. Left the final at 2.700 and had at it. More grip here :odd:, or maybe just me :confused:. But either way the tune did a fabulous job and all the laps were faster than the previous with the final being the best. Rear was in check here and no driving issues to note. Just about perfect for the pp level and this track. Then I checked my leaderboard to compare the time to my tunes. Foolish as it may be, since we can agree that it would be expected for his tune to be faster. But, it landed mid pack and 2.214 behind my 500pp RX500 at this track. But that 25pp advantage my tune had was the difference, not the tune. And here is how it shook out, slightly faster than my Elise '11 at 480pp (I later bumped it up to 500pp), and almost 1/2 sec faster than my 86GT 15th Anniversary Edition also at 480pp. But ahead of all the following at 500pp:
Genesis Coupe
Grand Sport
Camaro Z28 '69
Civic Type R '08
Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
and many others.

So I would say the tune more than held it's own and shows the versatility of the car. Cheat Car, maybe, but a fun ride. A little more green paint and you would know who it was that just blew past you with less horsepower and lower pp.:irked:

Best lap Indy (original final gear) - 1.46.067
Best lap Indy (final gear to 2.700) - 1.45.248 (right there with the 500pp tunes!)
best lap Midfield - 1.17.774

@Thorin Cain 550pp Review:

Ok, so I realize this is an OLD tune, posted version 1.08 and several updates have made changes to the physics of the game. But I have a bone to pick with you before I rip.....*cough*.....I mean, review your tune. There are two things mentioned in the tuning post, first - you said the following:

"Tuned and raced at SSR5, Nurburgring GP/D and Apricot Hill. This tune was requested for 550pp and has the Transmission set up for SSR5, where I have ran consistent 1:14s with a fastest lap of 1:14.061. The car is capable of quicker but on the fast lap I messed up the hairpin. 1:13s should be achievable given a clean lap and more talent than I have."

Now I have never been considered to be, nor have I claimed to be the fastest guy out there. But I took it to SSR5 with the intent on hitting 1:14s or maybe even getting into the 1:13s. Really thought that this was going to be ambitious since it seemed like a really fast time and seemed too low for this track, even on RS tires. 5 laps and the last three I drove the wheels off of this thing and really nailed 1 good lap. But I was no better than 5.4 seconds behind.:odd:
What gives? Are you secretly one of those alien drivers and are not telling us? Did we over embellish maybe? Or perhaps you got your tracks confused, either way, not a bad tune but in my hands a 1:13 will never happen. Even with SRF, which is listed as an aid, although I did not use.

Second - I think you missed a few parts to get to 550pp, such as everything needs to be installed. You missed - Isometric Exhaust Manifold and ECU.:P

Now for the details of the tune itself.

Round 1:
I needed to try something different to separate it from the 500pp tunes. And since you threw on RS tires, it got the test at SSR5 mentioned. Took a lap and a half to get a good feel, and received the usual/expected rear end kick as most of the tunes have. I normally do not use RS, and know this was a "request" tune. But they gave the front end LOADS of grip, with just enough rear slip. Not sure if improved rigidity even does anything for this car, as the rear could slide on throttle but only a tad. I actually thought a lap of 1:19.417 (my best) was not all that bad. :rolleyes:

Round 2:
Now for some crazy thinking, let's slap RH tires on and add some traffic. So off to World Circuit Tour and Brands Hatch GP. This should be fun and it was, throttle control is needed along with some patience in jumping hard on the gas unless you are pointing straight. Watch the steering input, as the rear could slide out from under you in fast sweeping turns, just like a Muscle Car :dopey:. But all of this was manageable along with good brakes, and a proper gear box. Easy to learn what it wanted and how to treat it. Easy win of course, and an enjoyable drive to boot. lap time however, might be a tad off as I pushed it the last 2 laps. Best time - 1:27.327. :)

Round 3: :sly:
Yes, round 3! I got a little carried away with your tune for some reason and wanted to get crazy :crazy:. @TurnLeft would approve of a little more silliness so why not?

Added Sports Soft tires and hopped a flight to Tokyo. Had the powers that be close off some major roadways and created R246. Now I have used this as a good test track for several other JDM cars of differing levels, so knew what kind of lap time to try an achieve. The long front stretch put the final gear to the limit and it bounced off for a second or two just before hard braking. Gear selection here was the key, as sometimes staying in a higher gear made for a better exit. And of course others wanted to go the extra one down. The tune could get loose but that was expected since I had dropped a few tire levels and was on another sweeping corner track. I might have scratched the front fenders a tad on a few walls, but I think they will buff out.

For a tune as old as @TurnLeft, and built for racing tires, I thought it was quite the pleasure to drive once you knew how to handle it. Even with sports tires, it had plenty of grip and handled well. I use the left stick to steer and could really control my inputs and keep it flowing through the corners nicely. A lap of 1:50 or lower would be considered good enough in my book since I rarely drive here and have issues with certain corners until I have put a few laps in. But I got a time of 1:47.217 with room for improvement, so was more than happy with the result. And the tune.;)

Now, if you could return again next month, I might try and be nicer. :sly:

@Thorin Cain 550pp Review:

Ok, so I realize this is an OLD tune, posted version 1.08 and several updates have made changes to the physics of the game. But I have a bone to pick with you before I rip.....*cough*.....I mean, review your tune. There are two things mentioned in the tuning post, first - you said the following:

"Tuned and raced at SSR5, Nurburgring GP/D and Apricot Hill. This tune was requested for 550pp and has the Transmission set up for SSR5, where I have ran consistent 1:14s with a fastest lap of 1:14.061. The car is capable of quicker but on the fast lap I messed up the hairpin. 1:13s should be achievable given a clean lap and more talent than I have."

Now I have never been considered to be, nor have I claimed to be the fastest guy out there. But I took it to SSR5 with the intent on hitting 1:14s or maybe even getting into the 1:13s. Really thought that this was going to be ambitious since it seemed like a really fast time and seemed too low for this track, even on RS tires. 5 laps and the last three I drove the wheels off of this thing and really nailed 1 good lap. But I was no better than 5.4 seconds behind.:odd:
What gives? Are you secretly one of those alien drivers and are not telling us? Did we over embellish maybe? Or perhaps you got your tracks confused, either way, not a bad tune but in my hands a 1:13 will never happen. Even with SRF, which is listed as an aid, although I did not use.

Second - I think you missed a few parts to get to 550pp, such as everything needs to be installed. You missed - Isometric Exhaust Manifold and ECU.:P

Now for the details of the tune itself.

Round 1:
I needed to try something different to separate it from the 500pp tunes. And since you threw on RS tires, it got the test at SSR5 mentioned. Took a lap and a half to get a good feel, and received the usual/expected rear end kick as most of the tunes have. I normally do not use RS, and know this was a "request" tune. But they gave the front end LOADS of grip, with just enough rear slip. Not sure if improved rigidity even does anything for this car, as the rear could slide on throttle but only a tad. I actually thought a lap of 1:19.417 (my best) was not all that bad. :rolleyes:

Round 2:
Now for some crazy thinking, let's slap RH tires on and add some traffic. So off to World Circuit Tour and Brands Hatch GP. This should be fun and it was, throttle control is needed along with some patience in jumping hard on the gas unless you are pointing straight. Watch the steering input, as the rear could slide out from under you in fast sweeping turns, just like a Muscle Car :dopey:. But all of this was manageable along with good brakes, and a proper gear box. Easy to learn what it wanted and how to treat it. Easy win of course, and an enjoyable drive to boot. lap time however, might be a tad off as I pushed it the last 2 laps. Best time - 1:27.327. :)

Round 3: :sly:
Yes, round 3! I got a little carried away with your tune for some reason and wanted to get crazy :crazy:. @TurnLeft would approve of a little more silliness so why not?

Added Sports Soft tires and hopped a flight to Tokyo. Had the powers that be close off some major roadways and created R246. Now I have used this as a good test track for several other JDM cars of differing levels, so knew what kind of lap time to try an achieve. The long front stretch put the final gear to the limit and it bounced off for a second or two just before hard braking. Gear selection here was the key, as sometimes staying in a higher gear made for a better exit. And of course others wanted to go the extra one down. The tune could get loose but that was expected since I had dropped a few tire levels and was on another sweeping corner track. I might have scratched the front fenders a tad on a few walls, but I think they will buff out.

For a tune as old as @TurnLeft, and built for racing tires, I thought it was quite the pleasure to drive once you knew how to handle it. Even with sports tires, it had plenty of grip and handled well. I use the left stick to steer and could really control my inputs and keep it flowing through the corners nicely. A lap of 1:50 or lower would be considered good enough in my book since I rarely drive here and have issues with certain corners until I have put a few laps in. But I got a time of 1:47.217 with room for improvement, so was more than happy with the result. And the tune.;)

Now, if you could return again next month, I might try and be nicer. :sly:
It seems today is a day for things happening in parts, so forgive me for continuing the trend :dopey:

Firstly. Thank you for ripping the tune :lol: I'm glad it was still up to the task of getting round the tracks in a way that didn't leave you rocking back and forth in your drivers seat :sly:

Secondly. Thanks for highlighting certain omissions from my tune sheet :eek: Shows how often I've used and checked this one :guilty: I'll need to go back and fill in those gaps :cheers:

This is one of those cars that didn't really interest me too much at the time, not because it was a bad car, quite the opposite. This is one of those cars that was very heavily used in the big wide world of GT6 on-line racing right from the start. Along with a few others like the Dino, Focus RS, GSX-R and the Miura this was one of the cars that everyone started to think was "Unbeatable". So it stayed off my radar, as far as tuning went until it was requested from the garage and was rarely ever brought to the track by me afterwards.

Tertiary, to clear up this bit...
...you said the following: "Tuned and raced at SSR5, Nurburgring GP/D and Apricot Hill. This tune was requested for 550pp and has the Transmission set up for SSR5, where I have ran consistent 1:14s with a fastest lap of 1:14.061. The car is capable of quicker but on the fast lap I messed up the hairpin. 1:13s should be achievable given a clean lap and more talent than I have."
Here is some Photo evidence from the guy that requested the tune in the first place :) And no, I'm no alien, just a slightly above average driver that can tune his cars to go quick for him and anyone else that has a similar style :crazy:

Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm glad you didn't find it too much of a handful, even down the tyre grades :)

I look forward to seeing what's in store for next month :cheers:

It seems today is a day for things happening in parts, so forgive me for continuing the trend :dopey:

Firstly. Thank you for ripping the tune :lol: I'm glad it was still up to the task of getting round the tracks in a way that didn't leave you rocking back and forth in your drivers seat :sly:

Secondly. Thanks for highlighting certain omissions from my tune sheet :eek: Shows how often I've used and checked this one :guilty: I'll need to go back and fill in those gaps :cheers:

This is one of those cars that didn't really interest me too much at the time, not because it was a bad car, quite the opposite. This is one of those cars that was very heavily used in the big wide world of GT6 on-line racing right from the start. Along with a few others like the Dino, Focus RS, GSX-R and the Miura this was one of the cars that everyone started to think was "Unbeatable". So it stayed off my radar, as far as tuning went until it was requested from the garage and was rarely ever brought to the track by me afterwards.

Tertiary, to clear up this bit...

Here is some Photo evidence from the guy that requested the tune in the first place :) And no, I'm no alien, just a slightly above average driver that can tune his cars to go quick for him and anyone else that has a similar style :crazy:

Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm glad you didn't find it too much of a handful, even down the tyre grades :)

I look forward to seeing what's in store for next month :cheers:
Just saw the evidence, now I feel old and slow.:ouch:
But how??????

Just saw the evidence, now I feel old and slow.:ouch:
But how??????
So do I :lol:
As far as I've always understood it, the 1.09 update wreaked havoc with it and a few other tunes I did around that time with added camber :rolleyes: @TurnLeft noticed the same issue when he tried out the RX-8 concept tune he decided to clone onto an MP4-12C back in the December's CotM :mischievous: We both tried to match the times I was running before that update and both came up a few seconds short :( (from memory that car would do 1:15s and we struggled to break into the 1:17s when we tried it) Using SRF is probably worth a good 1.5-2 seconds a lap in itself and the rest is due to a myriad of changes made in that update. PD Changed geometry settings, tyre physics and implimented new default transmission settings, all caused there own issues that have amounted in some cases that I know of, to a lap-time increase of between 3 and 5 seconds.
One example of this is an Opera Performance S2000 tune I was running consistent 1:17s with at Laguna Seca pre 1.09 then struggled to beat 1:20 after it :eek: I used that car almost daily, so I was very familiar with it. After the update I had to make a whole bunch of changes to get this back to the performance it had before. This included upping the rear spring rate, altering the dampers a little as well as changing the ARB settings, re-tuning the transmission and making changes to the LSD to account for the extra grip the rear of the car now had :banghead:

@flamingchariot 584pp review:

I normally have a rule or two (actually more, my game and I play it by my rules), and one is to use SH tires up to 500pp. I will generally switch to SM or SS if at higher than that. Of course, PD Time Trials and a few career events aside. So listing your tune at 584 on SH have me pause, but I felt up to the challenge. Another is that I rarely spend time at The Ring, not since early GT5 anyway. Many corners I get better at the more time I spend there, so keep this in mind and take this review with a grain of salt (so to speak).

You claim a lap time of 7.39, really good time in any street car, especially on SH tires. So I decided to give it a go and see how far behind you I could be. The first lap was for learning how it handled and what I needed to do to keep it on track. Needless to say, before 3.45 I was already red lapped, but kept at it to the end. For me, it was not an easy ride, but could imagine it being better if I were to spend as much time with it as you have. The rear needs more stability for my driving style, others may not experience similar issues. As one who drives a lot of muscle cars, I'm used to the rear flying loose mid corner on high speed sections. And this car likes to over rotate at higher speeds, and can get loose on entry if hard braking. Could be my sensitivity settings on my DS3. The more I drive it however, the better it got for me.

So I exited and lowered the rear brake setting to 3. Ran another lap, not clean of course, but not really bad. For the most part, I had 2 or 3 offs, unfortunately in sections that cost me lots of time. The result was a lap in the 7.51 range, with tons of room for improvement. Continued and was up 5-6 seconds but had a bad off that wiped it away.

So, after exiting, I tried a few changes, (sports soft would have been first choice, but did not want to lose the heart of the tune). So I added rear toe for some stability, and changed LSD accel and decel (reversed yours). That's all, then hit the track again. Better for me, and a lap with a few minor mistakes but still time to drop, and a time of 7.43.268. Few more laps and with my knowledge of the track, a 7.39 is more than possible.

Not a bad tune, but wheel users or those with better skills with slightly wild rides should fare better. Tire upgrade would get me much lower. This car and it's tendency to be loose more the cause along with my lack of time at Nurb the past few years. If you have the ability to run 7.39s as posted, you have skill and bravery on your side. Fun tune, but takes a little adjusting to.

I would recommend others give it a go, would love to hear more feedback.

MAZDA RX500 '70
8e701828ba3bcc3eea944f9d8a391b4f.jpg

- working on this RX

Specifications
Performance Points:
500 PP
Max. Power:
317 HP
Weight:
903 kg
Weight Distribution (F/R):
5644 / -5544
Displacement:
491 cc
Max. Torque:
243 ft-lb
Drivetrain:
MR
Game Version:
Controller Type:
Steering Wheel
Tires
Tires (Front):
Sports: Soft
Tires (Rear):
Sports: Soft
Parts & Modifications
Wheel Model:
OZ Racing Botticelli III
Wheel Size:
+2
Suspension Kit:
Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable Suspension
Transmission:
Fully-Customizable Transmission
Clutch:
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Exhaust:
Racing Exhaust
Turbo Kits:
Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit
Weight Reduction:
Stage 3
Other Parts:
  • Racing Brake Kit
  • Intake Tuning
  • Isometric Exhaust Manifold
  • Catalytic Converter: Sports
rz500_detras.jpg

Suspension
Ride Height (F/R):
107 / 109
Spring Rate (F/R):
6.64 / 7.59
Dampers - Comp. (F/R):
5 / 7
Dampers - Ext. (F/R):
8 / 6
Anti-Roll Bars (F/R):
4 / 6
Camber Angle (F/R):
1.0 / 0.6
Toe Angle (F/R):
-0.04 / 0.50
Brake Balance (F/R):
5 / 6
Transmission
Max. Speed:
350 kph
1st Gear:
2nd Gear:
3rd Gear:
4th Gear:
5th Gear:
Final Gear:
Special Instructions:
CIRCUIT INDY Final Gear = 4.500
CIRCUIT NURB. GP/F Final Gear = 4.900
Drivetrain
Initial Torque (F/R):
00 / 11
Accel. Sensitivity (F/R):
00 / 19
Braking Sensitivity (F/R):
00 / 14
F/R Torque Distribution:
5644 / -5544
Power
Power Limiter:
93.5%
Body
Ballast Weight:
130 kg
Ballast Position:
-50%
Driving Aids
Traction Control:
ABS Level:
NOTE ; TRANSMISSION :
Special Instructions:
CIRCUIT INDY Final Gear = 4.500
CIRCUIT NURB. GP/F Final Gear = 4.900
70mazda_rx_500_01.jpg

Last edited:
@xande1959 500pp review:

Fun tune that I wanted to get in before the next seasonal update. Needed to test it similar to the other 500pp tunes, so I left SH tires on instead of the listed SS and went to Indy. Like most of the others, the rear could slide out from under you on mid - fast corners on accel. But obviously, I've spent enough time in this car to expect it and know how to handle the situation. All else was great, ballast forward helped although this is likely the heaviest tune tested so far. No worries, it actually did not hurt at all. Maybe the LSD accel being high was a bit of an issue, but you tune on a wheel, I'm using DS3. Brakes and trans were lovely and set up a fast and easy win. May I been the fastest lap yet at 500pp here as well (wait til the end, then you get the times). Plus I realized that I never changed and upgraded rims.:ouch:

So, let's fix that, inch +2 rims, put on SS TIRES and head back to Indy. But this time in Arcade Mode with grip set to real.
And WOW! What a change. Likely the SS tires more than the rims, but either way, the tune really liked it and became a rocket. Very little tail slide, only off of 1 corner if getting too aggressive. Fantastic grip, great on entry, mid corner and exit with just a hint of throttle control. Gear box and final gear setting worked flawless. Well done.

So to finish, I upped the final to 4.900 and off to GP/F Still on SS as posted. Fabulous, incredibly enjoyable with no flaws. And I managed a monster lap for 500pp. Now I love grip so therefore really enjoyed driving this tune in SS, I prefer them over Racing but that's just me. In fact, in was just about .2 slower than my 525pp M4 on SM at the same track, and not too far behind what I tested your CSL 525PP FITT Tune. :sly: I had never cleared the rankings from that challenge and this tune would have 7th fastest. Still impressive in my book.đź‘Ť

Best lap Indy - SH 1:44.838
Best lap Indy - SS 1:37.573
Best lap GP/F - 2:07.845
:cheers:

So, let's fix that, inch +2 rims, put on SS TIRES and head back to Indy. But this time in Arcade Mode with grip set to real.
And WOW! What a change. Likely the SS tires more than the rims, but either way, the tune really liked it and became a rocket. Very little tail slide, only off of 1 corner if getting too aggressive. Fantastic grip, great on entry, mid corner and exit with just a hint of throttle control. Gear box and final gear setting worked flawless. Well done.

So to finish, I upped the final to 4.900 and off to GP/F Still on SS as posted. Fabulous, incredibly enjoyable with no flaws. And I managed a monster lap for 500pp. Now I love grip so therefore really enjoyed driving this tune in SS, I prefer them over Racing but that's just me. In fact, in was just about .2 slower than my 525pp M4 on SM at the same track, and not too far behind what I tested your CSL 525PP FITT Tune. :sly: I had never cleared the rankings from that challenge and this tune would have 7th fastest. Still impressive in my book.đź‘Ť

Best lap Indy - SH 1:44.838
Best lap Indy - SS 1:37.573
Best lap GP/F - 2:07.845

when I bought this car I not too carried away but one day I went to a race in the High Speed Ring circuit and took a beating, could not follow him in straight 550 PP. then came the challenge there I thought I have to hit this car and was reasonable with 500 PP .Thank by test it:cheers:

@danlimski 590pp "kitchen sink" tune review:

For those who may not know what a "kitchen sink tune" is, it has everything added that can be. Full power, full weight reduction, improve rigidity. Everything but the kitchen sink. :sly:

So I wanted to treat it differently for some variety, so I went to arcade mode to a track where I test many 600pp tunes, and all the "flat floor" tunes in my garage, SILVERSTONE GP. And ran a few 3 lap races, the first to get a grip on the tune. As with almost all of the times tested this month, the rear, even on RS tires could slide out from under you and braking on entry needed to be done correctly :crazy:. Just a symptom of the car but by now it is second nature to me. The brakes do work well and do there job nicely, using the triggers for gas/brake and am able to control them better and found full braking not necessary. Most of the time 1/2 or 3/4 pressure worked better. The entry suspension wise was really good as was off throttle mid corner rotation. On throttle mid corner to exit, part throttle worked best and gently squeezing shot this bullet done the straights. Only issue was RS tires and their grip level, although fun to trap the tarmac and give it what for!

A really fun ride, my goal was to see if I could good one of my best 600pp flat floor times as it could easily fit in with them, and then it was to get under a 2:00.xxx minute lap. But I was only able to get close with a best of 2:00.145. Still enjoyed trying đź‘Ť.

So one more final go but this time at Brands Hatch GP in the World Circuit Tour ( max gainst Rally Cars :ouch:). But RH tires needed to be installed. Something about the flow of these two tracks always puts a grin on my face :dopey:. And this tune was no different, just had to learn proper braking and accelerating points and all was good. Also learning how to get that sliding back end to be used to my advantage. Every lap kept getting faster, and tricky turn 1 was only an issue once;). Very enjoyable tune, handling and gearing did a great job here. Could do this race over and over and like up the credits while trying to best a better lap time, that's the sign of a fun tune. Best lap here was 1:26.873. In my opinion, a good lap with my driving and skill level.

Thank you for coming back for another round of insanity that is the car of the month, but forgive me if I chose this over the Alfa.:D

@danlimski 590pp "kitchen sink" tune review:

For those who may not know what a "kitchen sink tune" is, it has everything added that can be. Full power, full weight reduction, improve rigidity. Everything but the kitchen sink. :sly:

So I wanted to treat it differently for some variety, so I went to arcade mode to a track where I test many 600pp tunes, and all the "flat floor" tunes in my garage, SILVERSTONE GP. And ran a few 3 lap races, the first to get a grip on the tune. As with almost all of the times tested this month, the rear, even on RS tires could slide out from under you and braking on entry needed to be done correctly :crazy:. Just a symptom of the car but by now it is second nature to me. The brakes do work well and do there job nicely, using the triggers for gas/brake and am able to control them better and found full braking not necessary. Most of the time 1/2 or 3/4 pressure worked better. The entry suspension wise was really good as was off throttle mid corner rotation. On throttle mid corner to exit, part throttle worked best and gently squeezing shot this bullet done the straights. Only issue was RS tires and their grip level, although fun to trap the tarmac and give it what for!

A really fun ride, my goal was to see if I could good one of my best 600pp flat floor times as it could easily fit in with them, and then it was to get under a 2:00.xxx minute lap. But I was only able to get close with a best of 2:00.145. Still enjoyed trying đź‘Ť.

So one more final go but this time at Brands Hatch GP in the World Circuit Tour ( max gainst Rally Cars :ouch:). But RH tires needed to be installed. Something about the flow of these two tracks always puts a grin on my face :dopey:. And this tune was no different, just had to learn proper braking and accelerating points and all was good. Also learning how to get that sliding back end to be used to my advantage. Every lap kept getting faster, and tricky turn 1 was only an issue once;). Very enjoyable tune, handling and gearing did a great job here. Could do this race over and over and like up the credits while trying to best a better lap time, that's the sign of a fun tune. Best lap here was 1:26.873. In my opinion, a good lap with my driving and skill level.

Thank you for coming back for another round of insanity that is the car of the month, but forgive me if I chose this over the Alfa.:D

Many thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed driving the vehicle... Dan.

@flamingchariot 584pp review:

I normally have a rule or two (actually more, my game and I play it by my rules), and one is to use SH tires up to 500pp. I will generally switch to SM or SS if at higher than that. Of course, PD Time Trials and a few career events aside. So listing your tune at 584 on SH have me pause, but I felt up to the challenge. Another is that I rarely spend time at The Ring, not since early GT5 anyway. Many corners I get better at the more time I spend there, so keep this in mind and take this review with a grain of salt (so to speak).

You claim a lap time of 7.39, really good time in any street car, especially on SH tires. So I decided to give it a go and see how far behind you I could be. The first lap was for learning how it handled and what I needed to do to keep it on track. Needless to say, before 3.45 I was already red lapped, but kept at it to the end. For me, it was not an easy ride, but could imagine it being better if I were to spend as much time with it as you have. The rear needs more stability for my driving style, others may not experience similar issues. As one who drives a lot of muscle cars, I'm used to the rear flying loose mid corner on high speed sections. And this car likes to over rotate at higher speeds, and can get loose on entry if hard braking. Could be my sensitivity settings on my DS3. The more I drive it however, the better it got for me.

So I exited and lowered the rear brake setting to 3. Ran another lap, not clean of course, but not really bad. For the most part, I had 2 or 3 offs, unfortunately in sections that cost me lots of time. The result was a lap in the 7.51 range, with tons of room for improvement. Continued and was up 5-6 seconds but had a bad off that wiped it away.

So, after exiting, I tried a few changes, (sports soft would have been first choice, but did not want to lose the heart of the tune). So I added rear toe for some stability, and changed LSD accel and decel (reversed yours). That's all, then hit the track again. Better for me, and a lap with a few minor mistakes but still time to drop, and a time of 7.43.268. Few more laps and with my knowledge of the track, a 7.39 is more than possible.

Not a bad tune, but wheel users or those with better skills with slightly wild rides should fare better. Tire upgrade would get me much lower. This car and it's tendency to be loose more the cause along with my lack of time at Nurb the past few years. If you have the ability to run 7.39s as posted, you have skill and bravery on your side. Fun tune, but takes a little adjusting to.

I would recommend others give it a go, would love to hear more feedback.

The Mazda has a rotary engine which has an amazing torque band even at low revs its pulling hard and accelerating like a demon possessed coupled with its low weight and tweakability you shouldn't have problems making up time or getting the back end to settle.
I find the trick is to be creative (I pump and then hold for a shorter duration on high speed straight to low speed corners) with your braking and acceleration up to and out of the apex respectively , this is where I found I could get more grip and speed going into and coming out of corners. Try and keep your revs as high as possible - without upsetting the car - through every tight turn. I hate muscle cars - only useful for drag racing impractical although they sound nice ...there are a few exceptions the original GT40 and AC Cobra or Chaparral 2D (although its a race car). A car has to drive on a track , brake, corner and accelerate to do fast lap times ...European and even Japaneses cars are better for this :gtpflag:. I've used the Green Hell as a testbed for many cars if it can do a lap on that it can do a lap on any track - plus if you can drive well on the 'ring you get skills in the bag:cheers: I use a steering wheel just because controllers have been pretty much useless since GT4 for me :banghead:

Last edited:
Another month is about to close, and time to thank all who have been a part.

Thank you to @steefpeef for suggesting a really fun car to tune and drive đź‘Ť

Thanks to all the tuners:
@Thorin Cain
@shaunm80
@Burned_Rubber
@sinof1337
@flamingchariot
@Motor City Hami
@danlimski
@xande1959

Without your tunes, these threads go nowhere. I managed to test at least 1 tune from every tuner but ran out of time to do more. Hopefully next month will see more reviews. The choice is made and will be posted tomorrow or Tuesday, so stay tuned and be prepared for another interesting adventure in tuning:mischievous:

Last edited:
@Thorin Cain when did you start using SRF?! :crazy: :drool: :irked: Not to mention, RS tires AND SRF?! Does the car come glued to the ground? :D ;)

Thanks for posting all of these Mazda RX500 tunes. I only recently bought mine...maybe in the last 2 months, and I hadn't really settled on a tune for her. Well, now I have more than enough to try out. Thanks everybody who submitted. đź‘Ť

Back