Aussies/Kiwis : Monday Night Racing

• Thread starter Rypien
  • 1,110 comments
I have not been online for weeks. So long in fact, that I am out of the loop.

A social outcast, LOL

I hope you fellas don't mind if I join, I'll have to polish up over the weekend, time permitting. I haven't signed into PSN for 30 days now.

:(

I'll make a tune for the Z4 for those who want it.:) Although I'm back to work again next week, so I won't be coming to any races.

Read somewhere that there is an events update comming very soon. I've not checked the official site but i'm guessing all of my races may be scrapped :nervous: Might just throw up a few 'open' races at one of the new events when i see what they are.

Watch this space ...

The events are already out. More of the same boring crap really.

I've not had a chance to download or indeed test at the new events. Sorry lads.

But from from i have read, i've pretty much been able to make a simple change of event while retaining the original car choices. Yes, Suzuka gets a reprieve (at least for one more week). I had hoped to move onto the wide open spaces of Fuji, but it would be good to give Suzuka one more chance with the drive comming from the rear end of the car for a change.

So Suzuka RWD 550PP will be the race for this comming MNR. I've got the new details updated -

============================================

EVENT - Expert Class PP550 / RWD / Suzuka / PRO / 5laps

DATE - 30th March

TIME - 8:03pm start (GMT +10)

SYNCRONISED START TIMES - 8:03 / 8:26 / 8:49 / 9:12 / 9:35 / 9:58

RULES/RESTRICTIONS/COMMENTS
- NO race tyres allowed!!!!!!!!!!! (S3 only for ALL races)
- Drive cleanly *duh*
- Dont get discouraged if we encounter 'random' idiots on the servers (most randoms will be on Race Tyres anyways)
- Dont get discouraged if lag raises its ugly head (if its bad please try and keep a good gap between you and others)
- You may miss a scheduled race start time (dont stress, just take a break and join in next race start)
- Tune the car settings as you wish (unless otherwise stated).
- TCS (see individual race comments below)
- ABS optional
- Keep it civilised gents. Dont drive to win at all costs. Keep it competitive but most of all keep it clean and fun.

RACE 1 @ 8'03pm (GMT +10)
CAR - BMW 135i Coupe '07
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Do NOT adjust anything on the car. Keep it all stock standard. The only thing you need to do is turn OFF TCS, and make sure it has S3 tyres. Leave the rest alone, dont tune or adjust anything. DO NOT USE TCS AT START LINE EITHER.

RACE 2 @ 8'26pm (GMT +10)
CAR - BMW 135i Coupe '07
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Do NOT adjust anything on the car. Keep it all stock standard. The only thing you need to do is turn OFF TCS, and make sure it has S3 tyres. Leave the rest alone, dont tune or adjust anything. DO NOT USE TCS AT START LINE EITHER.

RACE 3 @ 8'49pm (GMT +10)
CAR - BMW Z4 '03
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Tune the car all the way up to 550PP and adjust any setting you like. NO TCS.

RACE 4 @ 9'12pm (GMT +10)
CAR - BMW Z4 '03
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Tune the car all the way up to 550PP and adjust any setting you like. NO TCS.

RACE 5 @ 9'35pm (GMT +10)
CAR - OPEN
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Tune the car all the way up to 550PP and adjust any setting you like. TCS is optional.

RACE 6 @ 9'58pm (GMT +10)
CAR - Ferrari 512BB '76
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Keep all settings stock. The ONLY setting to be adjusted is POWER -11. NO TCS.

Last edited:
EDIT: I've just changed the race start times to bring them into line with last weeks Suzuka times, thus giving plenty of time in between races.

Been having a couple of test sessions with the BMW Z4 and although its alot slower than the other 550PP RWD cars you come across in matchmaking, it is a fun drive. The first thing i noticed was the understeer. Lack of real grunt for a 550PP car also hits you in the face (gets toasted by NSX's, RX7's ...... pretty much anything). But once you tune the suspension, and get stuck into the gearbox its actually a nice stable ride that i think will provide a couple of good races. Feels and sounds fast, but just isn't :sly:

Not too sure what car i'll use for the 'open' race. Had planned on running my trusty RX7 but in reality its a bit off the pace. Wish i could slot a nice 6 speed gearbox in behind the 13b turbo as the 5 speed really holds the rex back. Got two other cars i've done some laps in, so might (god forbid) decide to jump ship and leave the rotary in the garage. Perhaps ....

Last edited:
I should get to a few races tonight. I haven't done much online racing lately. Been so busy. I had a couple of good ones with holl01 last week on N1's.:D

Anyway, Race you all tonight.:D

yea ill hopefully get some practice in later, im itching for some good racing!!

And everyone needs to be careful, suzuka is a very technical track so brake a bit early when following close, so many times i have seen or been involved in nose-to-tail contact through the tighter parts of the track

Yeah, Tizzla is right. At suzuka it is very easy to hit people under brakes. It's also a very skinny track as well which means you need to think before you stick your car down the inside of others.

+1 Tizzla, I really want to have some good races tonight. My connection problems haven't allowed me to do online racing for a long long long time. Wired connection now, it's all good.:D

Yeah, Tizzla is right. At suzuka it is very easy to hit people under brakes. It's also a very skinny track as well which means you need to think before you stick your car down the inside of others.

+1 Tizzla, I really want to have some good races tonight. My connection problems haven't allowed me to do online racing for a long long long time. Wired connection now, it's all good.:D

ahhh you had wireless?? wireless is hopeless!!

yea hopefully you dont get shuffled too far down the order for the starting grid tonight and we have some great battles 👍

Its pretty hard to make your way through traffic here!

And i can only pray that we dont get random idiots :grumpy:

And i can only pray that we dont get random idiots

I hear ya! All it takes is one fool to ruin it for many (usually on the first corner too). Fingers crossed we can all get in some good fun racing. Looking forward to seeing how my poorly tuned BMW Z4 fares tonight. I know i'll struggle with the untuned Ferrari 512BB in the last race though :nervous:

c you blokes tonight 👍

btw - seems as if the grid positions are somehow linked to internet connection speeds? Would be interesting to hear what connections you guys have (mine is a poor ADSL 1500)

I'll try and get to the first couple of races here tonight. Missed last weeks as I had other stuff on... Hopefully there will be some great races tonight. 👍

No chance of me making it to race 1. I might make it to race 2. I will have at least 1 race tonight.

Thought id do a write up for once,

Race 1 - Full grid of 135s with only one non AU/NZ racer (who happened to also be in a 135) which was a great way too start off with. I started on pole and got to turn one just in front of stonemonkey, after that im not sure what happened but had a 3 sec lead by t2 sector, went through pits to allow them to catch up but biff and barge continued so took off.

Race 2 - race was highjacked by some forren racer in a mustang. Race DCd before commencing, retried but same thing happened again. Gave up and went and got the Z4 ready.

Race 3 - Started in 4th, got a great start and had the lead by turn 1. Vrmm followed me and kept a 2-3 sec distance the entire race doing consistent 2,20.XXXs.

Race 4 - Started way down the order, managed to avoid trouble through some traffic and ended up behind Ausniko, ripping_silk and Vrmm. Ausniko lost it on the exit of spoon, i missed him by inches and chased the other 2 up the hill. Just as i was getting set for a battle of epic preportions they made contact and ripping flew into the sand at 130r.
Vrmm was lagging really bad so i waited for some of the TORC boys. Had a good battle with Rypien and stonemonkey (best battle of the night for me) until we had a mishap at denger :lol:

Race 5 - i spun out on the first corner trying to drift, caught back up a few places, went off a few times, parked it by the pit wall and did burnouts with one of the torc boys.

Race 6 - spun out on first corner trying to drift again (when will i learn i suck at drifting?)
caught back up and had an awesome battle at the end with rypien, resulting in a .1XX finish going to the aussie trophy cabinet 👍

Had a good nights racing tonight. Lots of fun, lots of speed, lots of passing, not oo much door rubbing

Saw a few little incidents happening around me, but touch wood i wasnt involved in any of them. A couple of randoms, but i managed to stay away from them 99% of the time. Little bit of lag for one of the races, but apart from that it was all plain sailing. Well, almost

RACE 1 - Had the stock BMW 135i starting well up on the grid, but didnt handle the non-TCS start too well and found myself slipping waaaaay back in the field. Think i was last at one stage until i slowly gathered some momentum and started to move up the grid. I think i was helped by a few mishaps and incidents i saw happen to drivers in front of me, and i seemed to be able to pass slowed or indeed stranded cars until i found myself fighting with vrrm for 3rd. He was a little bit laggy so i tried to keep a safe distance. We had contact on the last corner which saw vrrm into the sand and cars passing us left right and centre. Overall a good fun race.

RACE 2 - racestart timeout, researching .... in race ..... dropout. Race over. Bugger. Time to relax and make a nice hot cup of tea to ease the old bones. Watch some TV.

RACE 3 - Poor start in my tuned BMW Z4 which saw loads of cars pass me by. Cant seem to get a grip with these no-TCS starts sometimes . Had a ding dong battle with 'Rippin_Silk' (pardon if the name is wrong) until he spun which let me kick away a bit. Tizzla and vrrm were flying up front.

RACE 4 - vrrm dominated in his well tuned Beemer. I managed to sneak a second place after some great tussles with Tizzla, AuSnicko (i think) and Stonemonkey. My BMW seemed to be quite stable with still a hint of understeer, but the other guys really had some good corner speed dialed into thier machines. Tizzla touched my rear at one stage (i think he was tapped into me but am unsure) which let me get a good gap. vrrm ... daylight .... me

RACE 5 - Couldnt resist giving the RX7 a burl. How could i even think about not driving the rotary beastie. Dodo and Stonemonkey cleared out with their superquick Honda NSX's. These cars are soo quick at Suzuka and the 550PP bracket. Very fast driving in very fast cars! Had a great tussle with 'Qwarkytoy' (spelling?) in his tuned BMW 135 Tii, and also Tizzla in his 350Z. I think Tizzla had the best pace but seemed to overshoot a corner or two which took the pressure off. Great fun. Suprised that the RX7 did soo well compared to the other cars on grid.

RACE 6 - detuned stock 1970's Ferrari's. Had not had much track time with this car but loved the race. Seemed to have ok speed which let me come home as the first ferrari (after two randoms). I think i was lucky not to get caught up in the early panel damage that the randoms did on the way through the pack. Then saw the two leading Ferrari's come together in a race incident and managed to sneak through. Tizzla come from nowhere and we had a good tussle for a couple of laps. Took it by less than a second with some defensive driving (cheers for giving lots of room and not going for the big dive win mate! Good stuff). lots of fun.

All in all a good fun night. Random foolishness and lag at a minimum. I managed to keep away from any incidents and felt happy with the way i drove. Saw a couple of instances of poor driving but i think overall the standard was good, and i'm sure if anyone caused any problems for others that they would have the good manners to wait for them on track, and also post a quick message of apology post race.

cheers for a great MNR 👍

Ok lads, i had every intention of moving to Fuji for the next lot of races but have been coaxed into staying at Suzuka for another week. PD have not given us much in the way of variety in the 'Pro' events so i guess we have to make do with what we have.

As you may have noticed i've been sticking to S3 tyres for the majority of MNR racing, but this week you get a chance to throw on some race rubber for a few races and let it all hang out. Pick the fastest beasties you can, tune em up to 550PP and let rip! I've kept a few races with limited options, but i think allowing race tyres for a few will keep things fresh.

EVENT - Expert Class PP550 / RWD / Suzuka / PRO / 5laps

DATE - 6th April

TIME - 8:03pm start (GMT +10)

SYNCRONISED START TIMES - 8:03 / 8:26 / 8:49 / 9:12 / 9:35 / 9:58

RULES/RESTRICTIONS/COMMENTS
- NO race tyres allowed!!!!!!!!!!! (S3 only for ALL races)
- Drive cleanly *duh*
- Dont get discouraged if we encounter 'random' idiots on the servers (most randoms will be on Race Tyres anyways)
- Dont get discouraged if lag raises its ugly head (if its bad please try and keep a good gap between you and others)
- You may miss a scheduled race start time (dont stress, just take a break and join in next race start)
- Tune the car settings as you wish (unless otherwise stated).
- TCS (see individual race comments below)
- ABS optional
- Keep it civilised gents. Dont drive to win at all costs. Keep it competitive but most of all keep it clean and fun.

RACE 1 @ 8'03pm (GMT +10)
CAR - Mazda RX7 or Mazda RX8
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. No TCS. Tune either car up to 550PP.

RACE 2 @ 8'26pm (GMT +10)
CAR - Mazda RX7 or Mazda RX8
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. No TCS. Tune either car up to 550PP. I'm encouraging guys to pick the car that they didnt use for Race 1. Its not compulsory, but i think it would be fun for guys to have to use either the RX7 for one race, while the RX8 for the other. That way we might get a good sprinkling of both cars in both races to add some variety. As i said its not compulsory as i know lots of us have limited time to test and tune cars as it is.

RACE 3 @ 8'49pm (GMT +10)
CAR - OPEN
COMMENTS - Race Tyres allowed. TCS allowed. Tune any car up to 550PP.

RACE 4 @ 9'12pm (GMT +10)
CAR - OPEN

RACE 5 @ 9'35pm (GMT +10)
CAR - OPEN

RACE 6 @ 9'58pm (GMT +10)
CAR - Ferrari 512BB '76
COMMENTS - S3 Tyres only. Keep all settings stock. The ONLY setting to be adjusted is POWER -11. NO TCS.

Last edited:
Only made it to one race. Race 3 it was. Here's a quick description

Race 3 - Started 11th, not a bad start. No problems through turn 1. Was in a freight train all of lap 1, no contact at all. Lap 2, Spun at Dunlop all by myself. Back to last.
Lap 3, spun at Dunlop again all by myself.
Lap 5, spun again.
Proabably the worst i've ever driven, absolutely shocking driving. Had good pace but was pushing a bit too hard. Oh well, see you all next week. Sydney goes back to GMT 10 this week, So I should make it to a lot more races now.:D

With Underbelly being a 'catch up' repeat tonight and Sydney back on +10 time, I'm in for the whole event.

Will be my first full night. Feel free to give me a friendly nudge if I'm in the way and i'll move over :)

Went home early from work feeling pretty sick. But after a good few hours sleep i'm starting to become a bit more human again. I was going to give tonight a miss, but will try and make the grid and see how the body holds up :crazy:

I know that quite a few of the TORC lads had some races yesterday afternoon, so they should be all ready to go and warmed up.

Hope to see you guys later tonight.

Gonna give this event a go tonight. Ive only just gotten back into GT5P again after a big break so sorry if I'm a bit rusty and get in the way. Anyway look forward to it :)

I've got my garage TZT tunes sorted. There is a tune there for an RX7 and Renualt Clio. See you all there in under 10 minutes.👍

Wow - Rypien got NAILED in Turn 1 Race 1 by a ring-in punter.

Seems this events popularity is its own worst enemy. Grids are too full to get into. Race 2 saw me and just three other TORC guys (but was still good racing).

Race 3 was just me and TIZZLA, who pulled over and paused leaving me to drive around on my own to complete the race. Great sportsmanship there, cheers. Was really enjoyable...

Last edited:
Awesome racing tonight, great fun, thanks guys.:cheers:

Race 1 - Got in a different race and managed to pull away and win by quite a margin in my TZT tuned RX7.

Race 2 - Started 11th and worked my way through the field in my RX8 to around 2nd or 3rd. I had some close racing along the way.

Race 3 - Started down near the back again in my TZT tuned Clio. Got to 8th by turn 1 and slowly worked my way up through the field to finish in the top 3 once again.

Race 4 - Same as above.

Race 5 - Got in a different race and got disconnected.

All in all great night of racing. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed with my descriptions, all I remember is having to work my way up through the back and having extrememly close racing with GTP and TORC drivers(you know who you are). Thanks for all the races everyone, this has been my favourite night of MNR so far.:cheers:

P.S That PSN text chat feature was very handy tonight to be able to chat to people after races.:D

Overall a very good night of racing with a very large grid I'd rather have guys being put into a second grid because of big numbers rather than a small grid. Great to see soo many guys having a crack.

Race 1 - Had only run a handful of laps in the tuned RX8 and struggled with it. I got absolutely nailed at the first corner by someone which put me well into the sand. First corner, first race ..... not a good omen . After dusting myself off and getting stuck back in i was waaaaaay behind. Managed to catch up some time and had a few drivers in my sights on the horizon. GTP_kervs1 was with me, but i was driving pretty poorly and had no pace at all (sorry if i was holding you up mate). TORC_Clanks went off track on the last corner and as he re-entered the circuit i didnt know if i should go right or left as i approached at high speed, ended up his arse which gave hime a good boost to the finish line and allowed a quick finishing GTP_kervs to pass. Didnt do the RX8 justice in this one.

Race 2 - My tuned RX7 was on the rear of the grid along with GTP_mad94d. Great view of a full grid of revving rotaries . We worked our way cautiously through the feild, tip toe'ing as we went. Managed to work through the throng and found myself battling with oO Brad Oo and GTP_Mad94d. Mad found a way through and took off into the distance, i tried to find a way past and was applying lots of pressure until finally Brad spun and went off which let me through. Had clear track in front but no one to chase so i just cruised with a small pack up ahead and a pack behind with me being the 'piggy in the middle' going on a Sunday drive.

Race 3 - Great race. Best of the night for me. Didnt have anyone crashing me, and didnt have any traffic to fight through. GTP_Mad94d, GTP_supersonic88, and myself had a good close race and ended up finishing less than a second apart in the tuned Clio's. Good fun clean racing.

Race 4 - Some French **** (Cyril14110) caused all sorts of chaos as he took a few guys out and pissed me off to no end. He was holding me and a couple of other guys up with bad driving. I could see CrazyHorse in the distance gaining. I think the Frenchy took out TORC_AlbertPark and almost collected me as CrazyHorse flew threw the mess. Marty and I recovered and gave chase and slowly reeled in Crazy and started to apply some pressure until Crazy spun just after 130R which let us both through.

Race 5 - Good race with Clanks in his Clio and Dodo in his NSX. Fun stuff

Race 6 - Was looking forward to the Ferrari. Unfortunately i got sqeezed at 130R and went off on the first lap. Not too sure if the other driver saw me right beside him as i got squeezed like and orange at the apex and spun. Not a good way to finish the night, but a had a good time anyways.

Cheers for the racing everyone. Good fun MNR

Yep some super good racing & really enjoyed it. Overall went pretty average but could have been a lot better if not for a few a incidents.

Race 1 - Can't remember much about this one but think I finished somewhere around 4th - 6th

Race 2 - Had a good start and was second for most of the first lap up until 130R. The previous race I had gone into that corner too slowly using 4th so this time I tried using 5th but went in too deep, slid wide then the car spun & I went from 2nd to last. Tried to catch up but was then punted off by a non AU player. Finished 11th I think.

Race 3 - Was in the top 3 the entire race having a great battle with mad94d & rypien. Probably would have come 2nd but mad94d went a bit wide at spoon & I got through, kept the lead & won.

Race 4 - Good first lap & running 4th but a player from france decided to try a move around the outside of dunlop to be on the inside for denger. I was going to let him have the corner since he would be on the inside but he decided to move over as well which hit me straight off into the gravel, from 4th to last or so. Tried to recover for the rest of the race and ended up having a close battle with the few others. Finished 8th or 9th.

Race 5 - Probably the best race of the night for me in terms of entertainment. There were battles galore, even at one stage cars going 3 wide into the hairpin in front of me. Had a race long battle with vrrm & we were side by side running to the start finish line. I cant remember the exact times but all I know was I beat him by one one thousandth of a second to grab 4th.

Race 6 - Knew I probably wasn't going to be really strong here as I had never driven the 512bb before. Was going alright & running 4th on lap 2 or 3 however an incident at the hairpin ended my race. 2 cars ahead of me, one was torc_ph i think, touched each other in the hairpin sending 1 guy very wide. torc_ph slowed down to wait and I tried to go around the outside of him but at that exact moment he got going again, we touched & I spun off. Had to wait for everyone to go by & again went from a good position to last. Finished 8th or so I think.

Hoping to go better next time, just need to keep it together & not make mistakes. Its funny also how the 2 races which had non AU/TORC/GTP players, were the 2 races which I was punted off in. Says something eh. The chat feature as mad94d said is a great addition, makes it very easy to talk to everyone. Anyway thanks for the great racing everyone :)

Last edited:
Thats right, race 3 was awesome. That would have to be my favourite race of the night. I remember getting to the lead and pulling a slight gap. But I got a short cut penalty at the Casio chicane on lap 3. We then had a close race. I again pulled a slight gap on the last lap. Only to run wide at spoon and have Rypien and supersonic88 cruise past. I was kicking myself.

Great racing everyone, I'll definetely be back next week because it's school holidays.:D

Back