Automatic or Manual ??

• Thread starter kitchenboy
  • 84 comments
I use AT and can usually get within 1-2 seconds of the top times in my region but I am considering switching to manual on my DS4

Just be pragmatic. If at some point only one thing which will makes you faster will be MT , switch to MT, till that AT is ok.

...now however in the online races especially i've noticed that most cars get out of corners quicker then i do, even if it's the same car, i would imagine this is due to them using M/T and are able to rev higher

...it is not higher rev, it is mostly staying in same gear and having engine in low revs, so you don't loose time shifting and car is more stable under full throttle. Also A/T doesn't know when the engine starts loosing power, it just let's it rev up to redline and shifta, sometimes it is needed to shortshift, sometimes to overrev engine to get most of it. Also there are situations where you'd rather hit rev limiter for a second then to loose time up and down shifting. Etc.

There are many situations where it is much more benifitial to use M/T then A/T...

Cheers...

I've come direct from Gran Turismo (original 1998) to GT Sport. I don't remember with certainty but I'm pretty sure I used manual for GT original. I definitely used manual for V Rally and other playstation racers back then. Found it very intuitive and easy to use the dualshock's shoulder buttons to shift up/down, as my thumb did the gas/brake on the X/square buttons.

I've been playing Auto my first couple of months of GTS. Switched to manual yesterday (X/square for gears). Downshifting, braking and steering for corners is tricky if you're not accustomed to it. Its definitely not as intuitive as using shoulder buttons but I'm sure it'll become second nature.

Manual. Some cars doesnt produce better horsepower and torque on high revs so their acceleration will be better if you shift earlier. So manual all day long.

Manual. Some cars doesnt produce better horsepower and torque on high revs so their acceleration will be better if you shift earlier. So manual all day long.

A perfect example of this is the new Supra Racing Concept car that everybody is using in this Weeks Race B. Can only get the best performance out of this car when super-short shifting. From what I understand this is because the optimal power-band for this car is at lower RPM's compared to most. I purchased this car last night as I saw most of the top 10 were using this. By short shifting I was able to increase my lap time by about 2s compared to the 911.

Using manual you can heel-toe shift, which doesn't disrupt the balance of the car when going around turns. (if you have the availability to a clutch)

:)

i played with MT since my friend, whos ps1 we used to play GT2, kinda forced me to use it along with bumpercam( it was his game, his rules) and im glad he did that. Both things made me faster and MT is just more thrilling. Also i can more easily correct slides , limiting the torque, by shifting up, if needed. With cars like the Hyundai VGT and the 2X Chaparral, i feel akward, not having gears at all.

A perfect example of this is the new Supra Racing Concept car that everybody is using in this Weeks Race B. Can only get the best performance out of this car when super-short shifting. From what I understand this is because the optimal power-band for this car is at lower RPM's compared to most. I purchased this car last night as I saw most of the top 10 were using this. By short shifting I was able to increase my lap time by about 2s compared to the 911.
you mean decrease right ?

i only started driving games this year with GTS... so i naturally opted for AT - not a chance on earth i'd be able to take in MT shifting on a controller. Then i got my wheel and gave the manual a go and never looked back. If you're like me and like to watch and try and replicate one of the top 10 lap times, then you're also looking at where they shift up and down to gain time - only achievable with MT.

After a couple of days (maybe 2 hours driving) it's all good. Wouldn't go back to AT. Definitely feels good to have engine braking capability and also ability to control wheelsspin by early up-shifting.

Anyone remember arcade Sega Rally? That was the first game that taught me the benefits of "cheating" by using gears to slow down. From memory it wasn't so realistic and a shift from 4 down to 2 bought the speed down instantaneously without any wheel lock or tail slide.

Revving higher doesnt mean you will go faster, actually in many cars it's the opposite. Plus it makes the car consume more fuel.

exactly - case in points highlighted above with the Supra and then also the Veyron for starters.

With MT, it's easier to be faster with tougher cars to drive on harder tires.

MT on a Porsche 911 GT3 RS in sports soft tires will gain a lot more time around a technical track than a Gr.1 car on super softs around the same track with AT.

Also, high revs are often slower than higher gear + low revs. Especially with road cars on stock tires. In AT you might take a corner in 3 gear at 7.000rpms but with MT you might take that corner in 4th, at 4.000rpm going a little bit faster (higher gears make the car more stable).

you mean decrease right ?

You are correct. Should have been "decrease my lap time by about 2s". I did notice this mistake right away but don't see a way to edit my post (although I see others are able to edit their own posts). Anyone out there wanna fill me in on how to edit once posted?

You are correct. Should have been "decrease my lap time by about 2s". I did notice this mistake right away but don't see a way to edit my post (although I see others are able to edit their own posts). Anyone out there wanna fill me in on how to edit once posted?
On your post, instead of like, the button turn into edit.

Maybe go with manual, as most cars in the game, require flipping paddles or pulling a gear lever. Regardless of your lap times, it's more about immersion.

From the VW Beetle to Honda Beat with a 5-speed H-pattern shifter, to the Toyota TS050 paddle shifter. In real life, they require hand movements to change gears. Now, the Hell Cat has an automatic. Maybe keep it as such, for cars like that. Enjoy.

Man, wished PD should have addressed this problem as well. The AT still acts like an automated MT in GT Sport, not an actual AT at all. I guess this is something that's gonna continue in the future.

Manual all day long for me! its always been that way since i can remember... i have converted a few mates who were "auto" bots.
At the end of the day you do what your most comfortable with...
Personally i find manual and no assists (ok some abs) more involving and rewarding

That's what I would have assumed as well, but the edit button does not show on any of my posts!?

UMM weird, it doesnt look like youre logged on your account on that pic tho. Or if you were maybe its because you dont have enough post now . Not sure sorry.

I've been a longtime AT/controller driver (since the original Gran Turismo). I've done MT a few times, but could never get the timing right, so I recently tried it again with the Alpine A110 '72 and 512BB '76 and got comfortable enough to use it during my custom races or time trials. Might try it in a lobby I have scheduled for tonight, but I'm wary of ruining someone else's racing experience if I screw up. I'm a DS4 player.

Back