Automotive badges

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 55 comments
  • 11,184 views

AlexGTV

(Banned)
Messages
1,547
Greece
Salonica
Which ones do you distinguish and why.

I'll come out and say the Germans win cause they have meaningfull and instantly reckognizable badges. Merc's has the theme of "air, land and sea", BMW the propeller, Audi the olympian strength, Opel to a lesser degree the bolt, VW obviously their initialism. And Porsche, although I have no idea what it represents, looks really nice.

Japanese badges I personally find mostly bland, save for Mazda, and from America I choose the Cadillac's badge as aesthitically most pleasing followed closely by the Corvette's. Ford goes well with its image IMO, Chrysller is ok, Chevrolet I find a little bit bulky.

Coming to Europe again, I'd say Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Jaguar I find most beautiful. Also the Bugatti is simple yet stylish and effective. French are meh except for Peugeot which is ok, British look similar with all the wings. The most blant ones have to be Seat and the old Fiat logo, new one is ok.

Finally my favorite of them all. And of the mall. It is hands down Lamborghini's bull. Color combination is a win with gold and black and its aggresiveness goes supremely well with the company's image and prestige.

Fewhh... I did't expect I would analyse as much but oh well. Your turn!
 
Well for starters the Audi logo has nothing to do with the Olympics. The four rings represent the four companies that Audi was created from - Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer ;)
 
And BMW isnt a propeller, it is the flag of bavaria
bayernflag1.gif
 
Which ones do you distinguish and why.

And Porsche, although I have no idea what it represents, looks really nice.
Porsche's is a mix. The horse comes from Stuttgart's coat of arms. The background & antlers come from the Kingdom of Wurttemburg.

Lamborghini's also comes from Taurus, which was the creator's zodiac sign.
 
Don't care for most of them. Here are a few I like:

AudiRings.jpg

Mercedes-Star.jpg

Jaguar.symbol.animal.jpg

536678353_d01c78af5e.jpg

Infiniti%20Symbol_full.jpeg

Bentley%20badge.jpg




=============================================================================================================
Here are some I don't like:






ford_logo.jpg

rear_badges_w200x200.jpg

nissan-logo.jpg

59789502_d213ecd291.jpg

lamborghini%20badge.jpg

ferrari-badge.jpg

2008_bugatti_veyron_16_4_121_cd_gallery.jpg
 
And BMW isnt a propeller, it is the flag of bavaria
[im g]http://www.theoktoberfest.com/HTML/bayernflag1.gif[/img]

The colors represent Bavaria, but the logo itself does infact represent a propeller.
 
Holden has a pretty good badge
images
 
Porsche's is a mix. The horse comes from Stuttgart's coat of arms. The background & antlers come from the Kingdom of Wurttemburg.

Lamborghini's also comes from Taurus, which was the creator's zodiac sign.

If I'm not wrong, Lamorghini's comes from Ferruccio's fascination with bull fights and bulls. All of Lamborghini's cars are named after a famous bull or breed.
 
Negative ghostrider. The aircraft engine company was called Bavarian FlugzeugWerken.

You are right but wrong at the same time; that company merged and later turned into BMW during the 20's, so BMW was producing aircraft engines during the 20s and 30s and what not.
 
You are right but wrong at the same time; that company merged and later turned into BMW during the 20's, so BMW was producing aircraft engines during the 20s and 30s and what not.

I believe you are right, I always used to think it represented the centre of gravity symbol, with the bavarian colours
images

and I thought it may have been to symbolize the superior handling and balance of their vehicles, alas I found out it was infact representing a propellor.
 
If I'm not wrong, Lamorghini's comes from Ferruccio's fascination with bull fights and bulls. All of Lamborghini's cars are named after a famous bull or breed.
Ferruccio was a Taurus. That's why the company has a fascination with bulls in the first place....
 
The BMW Roundel, was inspired within these 3 elements of Bavarian Flag, the logo of the Bayern Football club and the aircraft propeler.

roundel%20inspriartion.jpg

BMWism.com
1929; An artistic vision of an inspiration behind the BMW roundel. A drawing executed for the BMW advert from 1929, explains the idea behind the logo: a silver propeler blades turning with high speed create an illusion. A publication in 1942 by Wilhelm Fahrenkopf confirms the airplane propeller as an inspiration for the logo, but this information might have been infulenced by the fact, that because of the war BMW had to concentrate on the production of the aircraft engines while car production has been brought to a a halt. In 2010 a BMW historian Kai Jacobsen calls an airplane propeller explanation "the myth".

Document of the registration of the BMW roundel in the Germany's Imperial Trademark Roll. It has been registered on December 10, 1917 under the number: 221388. This is the first known printed usage of the logo.

bmw_document_with_the_roundel_oct_1_1917_.jpg

Bayerische Flugzeug-Werke (Bavarian Arircraft Works) was created on March 7, 1916. The company uses the letters BFW as a short form of its name. First roundels are in use, still without the letters at the top.

Bayerische Motoren Werke G.m.b.H. was created in 1917 and transformed in March of 1918 into the public company BMW AG. Originally the aircraft engine company, while as a result of the Treaty of Versaille (June of 1919) Germany was not allowed to produce the airplanes, BMW stepped into the production of engines for boats and agriculture and later producing motorycles and cars.

One of the first uses of the BMW logo in a BMW engines advert from 1919.

bmw_advert_1919.jpg

[Source = BMWism.com]
 
If I'm not wrong, Lamorghini's comes from Ferruccio's fascination with bull fights and bulls. All of Lamborghini's cars are named after a famous bull or breed.

This, the fact that Ferrucio's a Taurus and the fact that about 5 of Lamborghini's cars are actually not named after a famous bull or breed makes you both correct and incorrect at the same time.

Now come to think of it, the raging bull was adopted as the emblem after, in 1962, Ferrucio visited Don Eduardo Miura and was captivated by Miura's breed of bulls, which was also tied into the fact that Ferrucio was a Taurus. Early on in the company's lifespan he also used the name Miura for the car and he showed the fourth production Miura to the bull breeder.
 
Last edited:
maserati is my favorite badge

 
Porsche's is a mix. The horse comes from Stuttgart's coat of arms. The background & antlers come from the Kingdom of Wurttemburg.

I can't remember where I was reading, but the prancing horse in the centre of the Porsche shield is actually the same prancing horse as used in the Ferrari shield too.

It's something to do with a friend or acquaintance of Enzo suggesting he use Count Francesco Baracca's old Italian air force logo (the horse) from WW1 when he was running the old Alfa Romeo grand prix cars, which used to feature the Scuderia Ferrari logo.

Though I can't seem to find the link (no idea where I read it!), Baracca had some sort of connection with Stuttgart, whose coat of arms features the horse.

Though I could equally be making all this up. I hope I'm not though! :p
 
Well for starters the Audi logo has nothing to do with the Olympics. The four rings represent the four companies that Audi was created from - Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer ;)

Yes, I forgot that. Seeing that the Olympic flag dates back to 1910s I suppose they may have been inspired by that. The IOC even sued Audi some years ago for the resemblance.
 
bertone-sale-undone-by-italian-court.jpg


My Vauxhall Astra Coupe was built in their Grugliasco factory just outside Turin. I'd like it even more if it adorned the side of my own personal Miura, of course. :D
 
Well for starters the Audi logo has nothing to do with the Olympics. The four rings represent the four companies that Audi was created from - Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer ;)

Last week I had to correct a Marketing lecturer who told us it was a nod to the olympic games.

What on earth am I paying them for?

My personal favourite logo is Dodge. I don't even need to give a reason, look at it.
 
Last week I had to correct a Marketing lecturer who told us it was a nod to the olympic games.

What on earth am I paying them for?

My personal favourite logo is Dodge. I don't even need to give a reason, look at it.

💡

images


Yes, I can definitely see why.. :lol:
 
^
best response ever
 
^I also googled the Dodge logo and that was one of the images that came up. Not surprised they dropped the ahem... "ram" last year! :lol:

PS: The Viper always had the eponymous snake as logo.
 
Last edited:
💡

images


Yes, I can definitely see why.. :lol:



hAHAhAah I actually laughed out pretty loud with that.

I really respect anything that comes with this emblem somewhere:

zagato_milano_emblem.jpg


screw Bertone, Farina and all those... Zagato is where it's at.
 
Horses mean speed, loyalty and braveness, everything you would want in a car. Nothing can beat 'em.

708724740_849bdaa9a9.jpg


2010_ford_mustang_badge.jpg
 
Even the Hyundai Pony...?
 
2009_Cadillac_CTS-V_burnout.JPG


2011-cadillac-CTS-V-coupe-v-badge-close.jpg


You see a lot of Cadillac CTS models around, but when you see one from behind and spot that badge, you know it means business. :)

I also very much like
lamborghini-logo.jpg

for the history of it.

Also, has anyone ever thought that the bull and colors in the Lamborghini badge are a diss to Ferrari, when you think about the beef Ferruccio and Enzo had a while back? A charging bull certainly looks way more menacing than a prancing horse, and the colors are the same as the ones in Ferrari's badge, but flipped.
 
This one looks pretty cool:
90019.jpg

There realy isn't a badge that I don't like, but I quite like the Porsche one too though
 
Back