Automotive Facelifts - For Better or Worse

I like the series 8 RX-7 FD a little more over the series 6, but I'd also say the series 6 has this charm to it, like it looks a bit more like an everyman's sportscar, whereas the series 8 is much more aggressive-looking - at least, if the Spirit R is anything to go by. I like them both, tbh, even though I personally have a slight preference for the series 8. I'd say something similar for the two iterations of the RX-8, too, and if I had to pick, I'd say that I slightly prefer the initial version, but I really do like both.

Also, I love the facelift given to the Aventador with the Aventador S. And I don't dislike the design of the older LP700-4 at all, either.

The 2009-2012 Lexus RX looked decent. The 2013-2015 model, however, looked much worse with Lexus's move toward bigger grilles.

Honestly not much better or really any worse. The Mitsubishi Mirage's 2020 facelift is...trying?
2017-mitsubishi-mirage-hatchback-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-673135-s-original.jpg

mitsubishi-mirage-01.jpg

Honestly not much better or really any worse. The Mitsubishi Mirage's 2020 facelift is...trying?
2017-mitsubishi-mirage-hatchback-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-673135-s-original.jpg

mitsubishi-mirage-01.jpg
It's trying to fit in with the brand's Dynamic Shield theme party but too bad. The side view still remains simple. I mean, look at those door handles. The other models do have the grip-type already while this one still retains the more traditional design.

So Tesla has a "bulletproof" pickup and don't get me started on the E-Stang...

How is this a facelift?
Not exactly my "normal" section of the site or the best orginized IMO and I'm not exactly sober. I'm sure someone will move it. Just trying to post what I thought was interesting news... And the "new" Mustang is ugly. Could be considered a "facelift" fail IMO. :lol:

Last edited:
How this truck managed to gain some sales over some of its competitors.

Then
images

Now
images

While this theme is starting to become an eyesore, reviewers say it's a vast improvement over the original one.

How this truck managed to gain some sales over some of its competitors.

Then
images

Now
images

While this theme is starting to become an eyesore, reviewers say it's a vast improvement over the original one.

The original doesn't look that great, but the facelift does not fit the body at all.

Quite the drastic change for the Genesis G90.
c03-gallery-exterior-g90-1024x768-center.jpg

To:
389530_2020_Genesis_G90.jpg

The original doesn't look that great, but the facelift does not fit the body at all.
I'm guessing that it has something to do with the wheel and tire combination, as well the arched wheel wells. I think putting a slightly bigger one (tires and wheels) might help offset it. Overall, the facelift still looks better somehow than aged-looking original design.

Lancia Delta - Not The Integrale

Lancia_Delta_LX_2012_02.jpg

61ada8d8-e7c7-11e6-8603-425d863e36b9.jpg

---

It didn't really dawn upon me how... old the basic Delta looked by the 1990s. The LX and GT Deltas look like something Polonez or Tatra would build.

By comparison, the Delta HF and Evolution, obviously made to be better, look like completely different, far more modern looking models.

radionphotography-boise-idaho-23-1000x667.jpg

1526511245867f37dacScreen-Shot-2018-05-16-at-3.51.19-PM-940x659.png

Last edited:
By comparison, the Delta HF and Evolution, obviously made to be better, look like completely different, far more modern looking models.

I don't know, fatter panels with better creases, better wheels... I still think they have that whiff of knock-off 70s FIAT about them. They're just doing it with more pizazz.

Quite the drastic change for the Genesis G90.
c03-gallery-exterior-g90-1024x768-center.jpg

To:
389530_2020_Genesis_G90.jpg
I actually prefer the facelift I really dig the wheels. Kind of a descendent of wire spikes. There needs to be more unique automotive designs.

I don't know, fatter panels with better creases, better wheels... I still think they have that whiff of knock-off 70s FIAT about them. They're just doing it with more pizazz.

Oh sure, they still look similar but the HF and Evo Deltas at least look like Fiats whereas the LX and GT Deltas look like Polonezes or Ladas and too old by 1991.

Working across the street from a GMC dealership, I couldn't help but find the 2020 facelift for the GMC Acadia to be an actual decent improvement over the pre-facelift.

2020:
2020-acadia-denali-mp-distinction-20PGAC00042.jpg

2019:
1501015629604.jpg

Might not be a popular opinion as I know how people hate how grills are getting larger and larger, but for some reason I think it kind of works on the Acadia. The 2016-2019 front end looks like it came from 2010 (even though the first gen Acadia looked even older).

Edit: For worse, I do not like the facelift on the F-Type. The new lights just don't flow with Ian Callum's original design, especially where it feels like someone just filled in where the old headlights were.
2016-Jaguar-F-Type-AWD-R-Coupe-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

jaguar-f-type_-3_0.jpg

Last edited:
For better:
The NA version of the Ford Mondeo, the Contour imo looked better with its facelift.

Before:
800px-95-97_Ford_Contour.jpg

After:
Dsc00006.jpg

To note, it didn't have the bug-eye rear end unlike its UK counterpart:
2000_ford_contour_sedan_se-sport_rq_oem_1_500.jpg
The pre facelift Cactus had character and honored classic rallying Citroen's back in the day.

93a4a3057bc6e386f0e29c18c5e1fb0c--c-cactus-citro%C3%ABn-c.jpg

Then they took it all away with the facelift. The Rear in particular now looks terrible, the lights look like they are slipping down the back of the car!

2citroenc4cactus.jpg

2c4cactus.jpg
I love the pre-facelift C4 Cactus.
It has a design that's typical for Citroën - meant in the good way - but the facelift is just too plain.

For the Mirage I think the 2013-2017 model looks best, it's uncluttered. The chrome and stuff for the first facelift doesn't really flow. I haven't seen the second facelift IRL yet but I'm pretty sure the front lights and grille will look too big for the rest of the car.

That's what bothers me about facelifts. The cars often end up looking a bit less well proportioned than the original design. Case in point
Volkswagen%20Golf%20Mk1%20(4).jpg

1e3557cad93f9cf7001752eba940d0c2.jpeg

A Golf Mk1 of any guise is a lovely car. But there is no denying the elements of the facelift, as larger tails and larger bumpers, are taking a bit of focus away from the original Giugiaro design.

Im in agreement with Aiado honestly. The 2020 mirage definitely looks better. Though, honestly, the 90s mirage was better looking than either of the newer ones being talked about.
Mixed bag with the two Alfas though. The 156 facelift looks better, but definitely not with the GTV.

Kind of torn on the new Mini facelift. Somehow looks better and worse at the same time.

Old:

View attachment 987675

New:

View attachment 987676
Fiat facelifted the 2007 design 500 (again) for the EV models. Not sure how I feel about it. Some might like it and some don't. Looks like they're trying to go away from the more 'cute' look the 500 is known for.
new-500-ex-2-1583506213.jpg

79be2f818bb8420e8147336cba74a1b4.jpg

Last edited:
Back