Automotive Model Photography Competition 84

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 49 comments
Canada
Titan
After a long (almost 6 years!) hiatus...

36775453362_621acba1fb_o.jpg

Competition 84

37269909372_e76630e851_o.jpg

Theme chosen by LongbowX

THEME: In their words: "Angles.

...experiment and take a photograph at an interesting or unusual angle. Or perhaps of an extra-angular car."

36763596436_9389fbb68c_o.jpg

• Editing: Levels, Curves, Colour Balance, Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, Shadows/Highlight adjustments, Cropping, or anything else capable in the development process or with filters and common special lenses (such as gradients) are allowed to be used in Photoshop or other image editing softwares. Other adjustments and effects are not allowed to be used in your picture. You may also use Unsharp Mask.

• Photographs should ideally include some composition and effect - Base the photo on a studio shoot, or even use diorama/composition to create a realistic setting (you could position the model and camera in such a way in an outside setting so that it appears to be a 'real' car)
  • No HDR shots.
  • Shots must be taken between January 2015 and the present day.
  • Work that has been shown previously (outside of the competition) is allowed.
  • One entry per competition. You may change your entry as many times as you wish, however the entry you wish to submit should clearly be labelled with "Final Entry".
  • Pictures posted should preferably be around 900px on their longest edge. You may link to a larger photograph in the post (I believe this is the size limit allowed by the Photography forum, however it likely hasn't been updated in some time)
  • All scales of model are allowed unless specified.

36763596246_74c3f2d170_o.jpg

Deadline for each bi-weekly competition will be 11:30pm UTC on a Sunday, poll will be up by 11:59 pm UTC
Voting will close on the following Sunday at 11:59pm UTC

This competition will close on September 17th.

@AOS- @NISM0_SKYLINE @GPR @Apok @GT HP Nut @TenEightyOne @TB @SVX @Beerz @Robin @Venom800tt @RCKakashi14 @Casey @SPhilli911 @MSZ

*My apologies if you aren't interested in these competitions, I tried to tag everyone I could think of that might be.

Last edited:
Oh great timing. I was going to pull out the 993 to examine if I still liked it or not later tonight.

Last edited:
The moment I saw the tagged people list (and the sheer number) I giggled to myself. You really tried all you can to get people engaged in this, didn't you? :lol:

Will try to get a few shots soon and see what I can do. Thanks for hosting this. 👍

Also, are gradients allowed when editing the photos?

Thanks for tagging me. Although my collection is 99% Porsche 911s with many curves and no sharp angles, I have just one car that will be perfect for this. May have trouble with proper camera lenses, though. I'll give it a go.

@GT HP Nut I had to at least try to engage people :lol: . I went back to look at the threads from ages ago too, see who was interested then (and who was still active).

Also, are gradients allowed when editing the photos?

I believe that would be allowed, as it is something that can be applied using a lens filter. I'll add it to the rules to specify so.

Oh, you mentioned Hue/Saturation and all that other mumbo jumbo.

Is Shadows/Highlights allowed to be used? I don't really care if it is or isn't, just want to be able to play without having to start a court session between people.

Thanks for tagging me. Although my collection is 99% Porsche 911s with many curves and no sharp angles,

You gotta play around with the word. Who says it has to be a car with angular forms? I'll be using a 993, so good luck both of us. :sly:

@SPhilli911 I should say, that the photograph doesn't necessarily have to be an angular car, it could just be a photograph taken from floating above or some other unusual angle.

Is Shadows/Highlights allowed to be used? I don't really care if it is or isn't, just want to be able to play without having to start a court session between people.

I'm on the fence about this aspect, but I think I will allow it. It's one of those things where it would be impossible to regulate anyway. Most software has the ability manipulate the shadows and highlights nowadays, so I will say yes.

You gotta play around with the word. Who says it has to be a car with angular forms? I'll be using a 993, so good luck both of us. :sly:
Good point. Just thinking it may be a good excuse to finally take pictures of my one non-911 model car. :lol:

Originally I was going to go with "Outdoors - make -at least appear- to be outside a studio". But, maybe not everyone wants to go outside, :lol: . Or even can, depending on their weather.

I don't think I can do better than some people here but I'll give it a try. :)

I think this is more than a "competition". It's a chance for the GTP community to come together and participate in something. Be impressed about other's inventiveness, and to learn and improve your own abilities. My shots at the beginning of the competitions were not nearly as well-executed at the ones towards the end. And I think that being pushed to be creative and to make an effort did have an effect on my own capabilities as a photographer.

Last edited:
Another question: are we allowed to change our entries once we have posted it here? If so, will there be a limit on the times we can do so?

Tried taking some shots at unusual angles last night, and boy, was it difficult. It's easier with a real car or in-game photoshooting, but with even a 1/18, it's incredibly difficult to take a photo that's both clear and bright enough, especially if you want to play around with light. With darkness, you need a long exposure time, and with long exposure time, you need a tripod. It didn't help that the only tripod I have had been used for quite some time and couldn't fit the camera very tightly, and the only surface that I find appropriate for taking photos is the sofa. I dropped the camera to the ground twice due to the tripod not being placed steadily, and thank god the camera and the lens were fine. After all this hassle, I finally managed to take one or two photos that aren't very clear, but at a tolerable level.

@GT HP Nut I don't have a problem with changing your submitted entry, you can do so as many times as you wish. Just make sure that the entry that you do want to submit is clearly marked "Final Entry".

Model photography can be tricky for sure! A tripod is certainly helpful. Though for other times you can just lay the camera on the ground. Sorry to hear about your frustrations though. I hope to see the results of the shoot soon. :)

This just forced me to put an ugly phone ring holder on the back of my phone.

But I've at the very least have an composition I will try out.

Final Entry

Hi guys and hi Longbow. Wow, 84 competitions. That is quite a few.
This will be my first time ever in a competition of this kind.

I had a few locations and angles in mind but ultimately settled on the one showing in
the photo below. I shot it earlier today after leaving work and made a few
changes in Photoshop afterwards. The car is a BMW Z8.

I read through the OP and the thread a couple times and I hope the photo is
within the parameters of what the rules allow.

SAM_5135.jpg

The road you see is the E4 (Europe's north and south bound road number 4 in Stockholm).

Much better resolution/quality:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/media/gtp-automotive-model-photography-competition-84.34223/

And I shot a ten second video of the view I had from up there, if anyone's curious.

Thanks for looking.

Hi guys and hi Longbow. Wow, 84 competitions. That is quite a few.
This will be my first time ever in a competition of this kind.

Hi there! Nice to see you poking around these parts.

The number of competitions certainly is quite a few, we ran it for a few years (alongside a "normal" automotive photography competition, which we had 108 of!). We even managed to create a GTPlanet Calendar, with the proceeds going to charity. That was an enjoyable experience, with the Photography Sub-Forum having a small tight-knit community of members. Who knows what will happen now, but I hope for the best.
I had a few locations and angles in mind but ultimately settled on the one showing in
the photo below. I shot it earlier today after leaving work and made a few
changes in Photoshop afterwards. The car is a BMW Z8.

I read through the OP and the thread a couple times and I hope the photo is
within the parameters of what the rules allow.

It's well within the parameters of the rules, and I think it's a great first effort. I adore the Z8 (and based on the resale value of them, many other people do too). It looks like it's perched on a cliff overlooking the roadway, that's great use of that angle available to you.

Well I had crack at it this weekend. Not sure this will be my final entry though. Was surprisingly tough to come away with some good shots. Took a whole bunch and I only liked a few after inspecting them on the PC. All the flaws become much more apparent. Damn dust was also a pain.

Final Entry
Anguleggera

Last edited:
Hi there! Nice to see you poking around these parts.
It's certainly been a while since we raced each other in ZC. : )
I adore the Z8 (and based on the resale value of them, many other people do too).
Yes it's one of my personal favorites. Henrik Fisker (the designer) really created one beautiful
looking car. I like the fact that it's in GT6 as well and it looks great in the replays.
It handles so well at the limit without even tuning it, on sports hard tyres or comfort softs.
It looks like it's perched on a cliff overlooking the roadway, that's great use of that angle available to you.
Thanks a lot.
GPR
Damn dust was also a pain.
I should have cleaned mine a little bit, too.

Kudos to you if you get it.

Halasana
Final Entry

wk1_1.jpg

Took it with my phone; zero post-edits.
Model: SRT Viper.

Nice idea, and I can't firgure out how you got it to balance like that. :confused:

@LongbowX It's been a while between drinks mate, hope you are keeping well? I have a portrait shot of where a model car is somewhat most of the theme, but I'll sit out until I get a decent model to shoot. 👍

Back