Automotive Model Photography Competition 84

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 49 comments
@Boffin Hey there, it's good to see another familiar name pop in! I've been alright for the most part. I only take photographs for my own enjoyment nowadays and don't display them anywhere though. You've done some stellar work (I had a peek into your thread from time to time) that I knew you had the potential for, and I look forward to seeing more of it hopefully. And perhaps if we're lucky enough, even in this competition too.

Well I tried to do something.
20170912_173920.jpg

Final entry.

Note to self: make background larger next time

Final Entry

Camera: Nikon Coolpix S230 (It's probably worse than many modern smartphones)
Model: BMW M1 Procar by Kyosho (Thanks @AOS- )
Scale: 1/64 (Dust is fun at this scale)

Played around with the angles theme a bit.​

Are partial gaussian blurs allowed when editing the photo, @LongbowX ? I'm editing my entry right now, but can't find an answer to this question.

I'll post my entry here soon.

Are partial gaussian blurs allowed when editing the photo?

Hmm. This is another tricky one. While sharpening.(the opposite of blur) is allowed, that usually encompasses the entire photo - however I didn't specify that. So I will say that yes a partial blur, is allowed.

I will revisit this and discuss it further if anyone has any objections to the level of editing allowed though. I don't want the competition to become too edit-heavy.

After a few blurred shots, some editing and a lot of time deciding how much editing I want, this is the result...

FINAL ENTRY

Not very good, but that's the best I can manage after all that tripod-toppling. :indiff:
All I've done is changed the brightness and contrast, added some gradient, and made some partial gaussian blur with the help of the Lasso tool.

Last edited:

Camera: Nikon Coolpix S230 (It's probably worse than many modern smartphones)
Model: BMW M1 Procar by Kyosho (Thanks @AOS- )
Scale: 1/64 (Dust is fun at this scale)

Played around with the angles theme a bit.​

Well I didn't have time for a second shoot unfortunately, would have liked too. But on the other hand @Apok, damn! I think we have a weinner. :drool:

GPR
Well I didn't have time for a second shoot unfortunately, would have liked too. But on the other hand @Apok, damn! I think we have a weinner. :drool:

Gosh, am I blushing?

Thank you, this means a lot to me as someone that looked up to entries of your calibre those 6-7 years ago when these competitions were last active.

Gosh, am I blushing?

Thank you, this means a lot to me as someone that looked up to entries of your calibre those 6-7 years ago when these competitions were last active.

Fully deserved man, great idea with the choice of car and backdrop. It's well framed and nicely lit. Soon as I saw it I knew it would be super hard to be beat.

This competition is now closed.

The poll has now been posted.

I am contemplating whether to post the next competition now, or only after the poll from the previous competition is over. Thoughts?

I'm really pleased at how this first competition has gone. Thank you to everyone who entered, to see this kind of turnout was amazing.

Last edited:
I am contemplating whether to post the next competition now, or only after the poll from the previous competition is over. Thoughts?

Not sure, I would say now but doing it after means the winner can pick the theme?

@GPR If I post the next competition very soon after the poll ends, that doesn't really give much time for that person to choose the theme.

If I start it now, then the person who wins #84 will pick the theme for #86 (and I will choose the theme for #85). The winners would pick for competition #86 forwards.

Back