Autoworld Car Reviews -Head to Head : STI vs Evo- Now up!

• Thread starter Doog
  • 37 comments

Doog

Thread killer
Premium
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to Autoworld Magazine

Autoworld magazine is a fictional firm that specializes in automotive journalism, conducting comparison tests and reviewing cars from Gran Turismo 5. Currently I'm the main writer, but ZacharySim is also working on reviews to put on here. Feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated and encouraged.

The Reviews

Hot Hatch Comparison by Dooglers8 ~ Now up!

Head to Head: STI vs EVO by Dooglers8 ~ Now up!

Muscle Car Shootout : Mustang VS Camaro VS Challenger by Dooglers8 ~ Should be up tomorrow

Battle of the Saloons by ZacharySim ~ Cancelled

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what you write, I don't think you're the first to do this though.
Photos or not??

Usually in this corner of GTP we have a "pics or it didn't happen" policy...

Hot Hatch Comparison Test

In the late 1970’s, Volkswagen decided to experiment with their popular hatchback, the Golf. What was conceived was the Golf GTI, the Golf’s performance variant. Powered by a 1.6 liter engine and weighing just under 1,800 lbs, the GTI was very quick for a small car. Its appealing combination of performance and practicality for a good price made it an instant hit. Thus, the performance hatchback, dubbed as the hot hatch, was born.
Today the hot hatch is still one of the most popular, and not to mention, most practical, choices for the automobile enthusiast on a budget. The Golf GTI is still the king of the hill, but the competition is catching up. There are several manufacturers who will happily sell you a hot hatch for similar money to the Golf.
We’ve taken the Golf GTI, as well as three competitors, to see who will rule in this week’s big test. From Renault, there is the Megane, sporting that awkward profile and big wheels. Ford gave us a Focus ST in electric orange, boasting one more performance point than the Megane. Then there was the C30 R-Design from Volvo, sporting the same inline five cylinder engine as the Focus. Will the Golf rein the king once again, or has the competition left it in the dust?

The Test : Deep Forest Raceway
Golf : 1.30.585 Megane : 1.30.445 C30 : 1.30.168 Focus : 1.28.160

4th Place : Megane Renaultsport

RedBullHangar-7_3.jpg

The Megane is like one big shower of disappointment. It all starts when you walk up to the car and you just gasp at how ugly it is. It’s a hot mess of unnatural shapes and angles and curves all over the place. The Megane is kind of like a geometry project done by a dog. Then, after you get over the Megane’s aesthetic flaws, you pull open the door and plop down into the seat. Your eyes are drawn to a gimmicky gauge in the center of the console. Once you get over that, you start it up, and you here a little wheeze of life from the dual exhaust pipes behind you.
Then you start driving it. As soon as you get over 5,000 RPM, you start to hear an annoying little whine. Inching further towards the redline, it gets louder and louder. It’s enough to make your ears bleed! But then, you go around a corner, and then another, and another, you notice that that pesky understeer doesn’t plague the Megane when going around a fast corner. And when pushed to the limits, you don’t see any oversteer, either. This car handles great!
Now, you start grinning like a madman, remarking at how smoothly the Megane handles the twisties. Perhaps, this car isn’t a disappointment. Actually, scratch that. This is a good car, a genuine hot hatch. This is a great Sunday car for short, spirited drives. But unfortunately, this car has short comings, lots of them. Those disappointments prevent the Megane from being as good as the rest of them.

3rd Place : Volvo C30 R-Design

RedBullHangar-7.jpg

The C30 is a handsome car, a bit boring, but handsome. The traditional Volvo face could use some spicing up, but it’s all good. The star of the show here is the C30’s glass lift gate, complemented by two tall, curvy tail lights. The interior of the C30 feels luxurious, probably because it is. All of the necessities are where you’d expect them, and there are no surprises. It’s a nice interior, but it could be better.
The C30 is a solid performer on the track, too. It feels a bit slow, and it’s a little noisy, too. It corners well, and it’s easy to control. There’s just a tad of understeer, but not enough to be an issue. It’s a good car to drive, but it’s not as fun as I would have hoped.
Maybe that’s the C30’s main problem that’s holding it back. It’s good, but it could be better. It’s nice looking, but there are prettier cars. The interior is nice, but it’s a bit boring. It handles well, but there are better. Acceleration isn’t the C30’s forte, either. It seems as though this car isn’t best in class at anything. It’s a bit expensive, too. But that said, I like the C30. Even though the C30 isn’t stellar, it’s at least competent, and it does everything well. Volvo deserves a pat on the back for a solid first effort, and I hope that this is the beginning of more hot hatchbacks from Volvo.

2nd Place : Volkswagen Golf GTI

RedBullHangar-7_2.jpg

The Volkswagen Golf GTI is a bit conservative when parked next to the radical Megane, or the pretty C30, or the handsome Focus. But hey, Volkswagen’s cars are always a bit conservative. I would like a bit more style in the future. Don’t get me wrong, the Golf is a nice looking car. Like the Focus, it looks mature. It sports a little body kit, and red lining around the grill, a couple of GTI badges, and neat wheels.
The Golf’s interior is a bit plain, but it’s still nice looking. Everything is traditional Volkswagen, so enthusiasts will feel right at home. The plaid accents on the seats are a nice touch. For what the Golf may lack in the aesthetic department, it makes up for it in the hoot to drive department. The Golf is a joy when driven around the track. It handles exceptionally, and it feels fast, really fast, despite its slowest of the bunch lap time.
The Golf’s weight advantage over its heavier competitors allows it to shine around the corners, but understeer is a disappointment. This is a great car. It’s much cheaper than the C30 and the Megane, and much lighter. It’s not as powerful, but it feels so much faster. Over three decades later, the Golf still excels at the original recipe.

1st Place : Ford Focus ST

RedBullHangar-7_4.jpg

If you can get past the Focus’ electric orange exterior color, you’ll see that the Focus is a real looker. It even looks mature in any color besides orange. The Focus sports a subtle body kit with tasteful touches. The interior of the Focus is also very nice. It’s kind of busy at first, but it’s a nice place to be. There are plenty of gentle contours here, and everything flows well. The interior looks high quality.
The Focus’ strengths aren’t just aesthetic. The Focus is absolutely wonderful to drive. It feels quick, and it is, netting the best lap time around Deep Forest Raceway by over a second. It also corners well, too. The Focus is a car that can be pushed to the limit. In fact, it even encourages you to. Even if you do make a mistake, the Focus is behind you every step of the way. I felt as if I were becoming a better driver with every lap I did in the Focus. This is a great car, and it’s quite the performance bargain.
The Golf and the Focus are both great, great cars, but the Focus is just a little bit better. The Focus handles even better than the Golf, and that’s a big thing. If it were my money, I’d run to the Ford dealer right now and by a Focus ST of my own, but they don’t sell them here in the United States. Figures.

RedBullHangar-7_5.jpg

Last edited:
Autocar NEED to hire you. 👍

I wasn't expecting you to write that much and do four cars, pretty good.
Criticism: Honestly, I would have focused on a head to head battle kinda of like fifth gear, than a mass test.

I wasn't expecting you to write that much and do four cars, pretty good.
Criticism: Honestly, I would have focused on a head to head battle kinda of like fifth gear, than a mass test.

Yes, I was worried that with four cars, it wouldn't seem as focused. It's funny that you mention a head to head, that's actually what I have planned for later this week. :sly:

Which photo-sharing site are you using?

awesome, I am working on a review mag style myself ;) I can't seem to see your pictures though? I like your writing style, fun to read, doesn't make me bored! =D

awesome, I am working on a review mag style myself ;) I can't seem to see your pictures though? I like your writing style, fun to read, doesn't make me bored! =D

Thanks! I'm glad you loved it! I hope to see your reviews on here in the future. 👍

Try uploading them to Photobucket, and once they're uploaded, roll your pointer over each of the mouse. An embedding code should come up, which you then copy and paste into your post. I hope this helps.

Try uploading them to Photobucket, and once they're uploaded, roll your pointer over each of the mouse. An embedding code should come up, which you then copy and paste into your post. I hope this helps.

I tried that, and it worked! Thanks! 👍

Head To Head: STI vs EVO

Back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, Japanese car manufacturers Subaru and Mitsubishi were both competing in the World Rally Cup heavily, constantly one-upping another. Then, in 1992, both decided to take their rivalries even further, each entering their rally-bred, four wheel drive beasts into the consumer market. Subaru showed up to the fight with their Impreza WRX STI, and Mitsubishi fought back with the Lancer Evolution. The two cars immediately grabbed the hearts of thousands of auto enthusiasts around the globe, each car having their own dedicated league of fans. 19 years later, the two manufacturers are still going at it.
But a few months ago, Mitsubishi announced that they were going to be ditching the Evo in favor of boring hybrids and electric cars for their future lineup, their reason being that the Evo didn’t fit in with these plans. An Evo Hybrid has been rumored, but it just isn’t the same. With the end in sight for the legacy of the Evo, we have decided to take it and the Impreza out for one last romp around on the track. This one goes out the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution as well as all of you Evo enthusiasts.

Suzuka Circuit

STI : 2.26.087 Evo : 2.28.872

2nd Place : Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR P.P ‘07
RedBullHangar-7_11.jpg

RedBullHangar-7_12.jpg

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is a tough looking car. Scratch that. It looks badass, with squinting headlights and a snarling grill, the Evo looks pissed off. From the rear, it’s a different story. While the front is all about imposing looks and flair, the rear is all about function. You have your standard two taillights, as well as one small brake light in the center. Below is a Mitsubishi emblem, and there is a small license plate housing encased in the bumper. As with all Evos, you get your giant wing which stands proudly on the trunk lid, but in this latest Evo it doesn’t look goofy as it used to in Evos of the past. You could say that’s good and bad, but I feel that the oversized wing was a part of the Evo’s charm.
RedBullHangar-7_13.jpg

The interior is rather boring looking. It looks cheap, too, but the Evo has never been the first thing associated with luxury, so I’ll have to dismiss it, to some extent. Compared to the much nicer interior accommodations of the Impreza, the Evo looks bland and well, um, cheap, but I already said that. You get your grippy steering wheel with the chrome Mitsubishi insignia prominently displayed in the center. Then you have your standard speedometer and tachometer, the tachometer being big and easy to see. There are also a few vents for the air conditioning, door handles, a windshield, and an airbag in the steering wheel to keep you from flying out of the car when you inevitably crash the thing while trying to impress some girls. A thoughtful touch. Hardly luxurious, but the typical Evo buyer is probably too focused on driving like a madman and looking badass to worry about the chintzy interior.
Start up the Evo and you start to realize the appeal. This car has over 320 horsepower. It also has four wheel drive. In case you aren’t understanding, let me say it like this : this car is a speed demon. Stomp on the gas pedal and the rear end dips down and the car scurries along. And as you get into the high RPM’s, you start to hear a loud hissing sound. The turbo has decided to come and play. Somehow this sound adds to the feeling of speed. The experience is kind of like taking off in an airplane. At first, you’re heading along steadily, and then, WHUUMPH, everything gets louder, you look out the window and everything is just a blur. That’s what it’s like to drive the Evo.
But acceleration isn’t everything, you know. A good sports sedan needs to not just go like the wind, but it needs to handle the twisties with ease. The Evo handles amazingly. You just brake, downshift, press the gas and turn the wheel, and you’ve conquered the corner. Now, not all corners are that easily. Get too overzealous and you’ll go find yourself flying off into the grass, sliding hopelessly into the sandpit, and hurling into a wall. When that happens, the Evo doesn’t seem very forgiving. The Evo doesn’t like it when you drive like a fool. It wants to be driven, and driven well. And when you don’t, you can almost feel the car’s anger. Now maybe I’m rambling, but it really does seem like this car is pissed off.
You see, that’s one of the things that hold the Evo back from being the winner at the end of the day. All of those things that the Evo falls short on, like an interior worthy of a Camry, or the not so nice exhaust note, or how unforgiving it is when you make a mistake. Now, while those aren’t very many things, the Impreza does all of those things well, and then some. I respect the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution in every way, and I can understand why its loyalists love it so much, but it just wasn’t good enough to be crowned winner.
RedBullHangar-7_10.jpg

1st Place : Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI ‘10
RedBullHangar-7_6.jpg

While the Subaru doesn’t have those badass creases and angles that the Evo sports, it’s nicer looking in its own way. The front is not particularly imposing, but the Impreza has never been a scary car. The smooth curves from the headlights and the grille are tied in beautifully with the chiseled bumper. The hood scoop is noticeably large but it’s not stupid looking. The rear is a different story than the front. The Impreza’s hind quarters are very angular, and there are lots of creases, kind of like the Evo. But unlike the Evo, the Impreza’s booty is interesting to look at, with an angular wing with some seriously sharp looking angles. Also unlike the Evo, the Impreza’s wing is goofy, but like the Evo, it’s just a part of that charm.
RedBullHangar-7_9.jpg

The interior of the Impreza is a nice place to be. While it’s not cutting edge or dramatic, it is attractive. The tachometer is placed in the center of the gauge cluster, with the speedometer and other gauges resting on each side. The center console showcases the Impreza’s large navigation screen and its buttons. Above is a small little screen of some sort, probably just the temperature display.
So far, the Impreza excels over the Evo in the styling department. But it also shines above the Evo in the stupidly fun to drive department. The Impreza may be less powerful, but it’s also much lighter. And lightness always seems to win. This is no exception. The Impreza was a full two seconds quicker around Suzuka than the Mitsubishi. That’s something. The Impreza isn’t just feel fast, it is fast. The sense of speed is so much greater. When you come into a corner, you feel the Impreza’s weight contributing to a much smoother and faster corner entry, with minimal braking needed. It’s so satisfying. And that’s what I love about the Impreza. It’s satisfying. It’s such a hoot to drive, going like stink all the time. I love this car. It’s so different than the cynical Mitsubishi. If you’re having a good time, chances are the Impreza is, too. This car really has that cheeky personality, and I like that.
RedBullHangar-7_8.jpg

And even when you do get too confident and go careening into the grass, the Impreza’s cool with that. Just steer it back to the asphalt and it’s all good. No hard feelings. So you messed up, it’s alright with the Impreza. It’s got your back. In my opinion, the Subaru really is the better car. It’s just so much better than the Evo. Of course, if you like the Evo better, that’s alright; it’s a great choice, too. But if it were my money, I’d get the Impreza.
RedBullHangar-7_7.jpg

Hey! I'm just gonna announce that there will be 2 parts of the Saloon Shootout. First up is Part One, which has the M3 vs C63.

I like the way you describe stuff, but you really need to go into the details first, not the results.

You can picture up the scene when the car's tested, or even describe the way the car handles and stuff. The verdicts must always be at the end. You're messing up the review's organization in here. You shouldn't leak out the conclusions right away.

Hope you take this as constructive criticism, because I'm being frank here.

I like the way you describe stuff, but you really need to go into the details first, not the results.

You can picture up the scene when the car's tested, or even describe the way the car handles and stuff. The verdicts must always be at the end. You're messing up the review's organization in here. You shouldn't leak out the conclusions right away.

Hope you take this as constructive criticism, because I'm being frank here.

Thanks for the feedback. 👍
I'll keep that in mind when writing the next review.

Back