Autumn Falls . . . again.

Canada
Canada
photonrider
BlueSkyYellowShrubFall2004.jpg

Show us your Fall/Autumn shots this year; I was dismally caught out and didn't get the opportunity. It was a glorious fall - red and gold and all the different shades from lime green through amber to crimson - and as I sped around I kept telling myself - yes, tomorrow - got to take that run tomorrow and capture the Fall. But never got around to it, and by the time I had picked the camera and packed the picnic basket Autumn had fallen by the wayside and all that surrounded me was bare limbs and rotting leaves.

For some of you - Fall must have been no surprise - and you probably caught it in all its glory. So where have you been and what have you done to capture this last Fall?

Last edited:
I think our best fall color comes from flowers and migratory butterflies. These flowers bloom in the first week of November, which by some strange coincidence is when the monarchs and other butterflies come through on their migration south.
DSC_2019.jpg

Buckeye:
DSC_2116.jpg

Esmeralda Longtail:
DSC_2119.jpg

For trees and leaves, you have to look around for a while. This is November 11th.
Green. Everywhere. On the ground, in the trees. Green.
DSC_2177.jpg

A stand of bald cypress on Thanksgiving Day. Almost as much color as we ever see down here! And yes, that shrubbery in the bottom right is blooming!
DSC_2390.jpg

Kudzu, giving more color than anything else in these woods.
DSC_2400.jpg

Here it is December. December 1st, actually. Found a single tree in the middle of the pines....
DSC_2551.jpg

No idea what this is, but it had color!
DSC_2547.jpg

You can cheat and use the late afternoon sunset light to add color.... but everything's still green, really.
DSC_2634.jpg

Good stuff photon! :)

I have a few autumn shots laying around as well 👍

Carpet_of_Leaves.jpg

Fall_Leaf.jpg

Single_File.jpg

The_Bridge.jpg

The_Gaasperplas.jpg

Fall_Leaves_Reflection.jpg

^ Nice autumn shot. Although I'm also interested how that A250 AMG drove :P But that would be hi-jacking the thread and off-topic... Must've been nice though :D:tup:

Oh! Really nice shots, everybody - except for hfs' bloody car which is so damn distracting. What is it about cars that grabs us by the nuts? :lol: j/k hfs - BTW - what are those trees that have all gone lemon yellow? Must be a pretty sight as you drive along - there is a street around here that has trees somewhat like that - but the autumnal colours come and go so quick that if one is preoccupied with the mundane necessities of survival one misses the show.

When does Fall actually end around the World? I know for us over here in the Great White North, it technically ends - well, the day the World is supposed to end this year. And every year. Dec 21 is the first day of winter for us. But some of you are saying that it has hardly begun for you?! And there are others who probably say it's over - for 2012. Did Australia have it's Autumn already? How about Japan? China? The coast of California?
I've read of some stunning Fall drives around the World - many of them on the Eastern seaboard of the North American Continent. Do we have members from over there?

Unfortunately this year I have nothing to show - usually I may keep track of how the trees change - these are some of the shots from an Autumn long fallen now:

101_0236-1.jpg

101_0288.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

A couple shots around the Cincinnati area, back in October:

AutmunNeighborhoodCincy-Aerial.jpg

KY338sRoadSign-Autumn.jpg

VenzaAutumnParkingLot800.jpg

There are no autumn leaves to speak of in South Florida, so it was a nice time to travel.

wfooshee
Esmeralda Longtail

Nice detail in that shot.

Last edited:
RouWa - What is it about fallen leaves - especially a neatly raked pile -that attracts dogs and children? :lol: That's a lovely pic - and captures the joy of being alive (as in - ability to move!) so very well. The Fall has a certain exhilaration about it - almost as if a wiping away of the old and renewing of growth - and the fact that the trees glory in their autumnal fire before the fall only adds to the wistfulness and hope that pervades the Autumn air. In fact . . . the fall is probably the best time during the season of Autumn. After that it's all twigs, bare limbs, and of course the rotting leaves . . . so very compostable, if nothing else. But, the circle of Life must go on.. . .

So... looks like you all had some nice "Autumn" material after all...
:P

I have tons of pics taken in Autumn - especially glowing pics of the actual Fall - but none from 2012.

But, great pics from everybody else - and if you guys wish me to take away the '2012' and leave it open to Fall pics and pics of all sorts from the season of Autumn - even from years past - please let me know.

Great pics from everyone so far - all different, and makes for a very nice thematic gallery. 👍

BTW - what are those trees that have all gone lemon yellow?

Not sure. I think Sycamore trees go that colour, but I could be mistaken.

^ Nice autumn shot. Although I'm also interested how that A250 AMG drove :P But that would be hi-jacking the thread and off-topic... Must've been nice though :D:tup:

It's a nice car, yeah. Comfortable, quick, and decent fun to drive. Nothing overly special but it'd be nice as a daily driver.

So... looks like you all had some nice "Autumn" material after all...

Nah, that was the only one I took all Autumn! Certainly didn't have anything photo contest-worthy.

Loved that first shot - gagtooth - we have so many places like that over here - so amazing to go strolling in the Fall woods late evening as Autumn turns every shade of red-gold it can.

About the shot - smart to catch that white hair using the trunk as a backdrop' and highlighting the lady's head, and body, giving all the depth needed to provide substantive realism to the overall diaphanous effect.

Here's a typical fall shot from over where I live. These birds will fly south any day now - in search of warmer climes. It's the nature we share with America. No trees with leaves except for the evergreens.

IMG_0140_zpsbfa7a35f.jpg

And this one is the wall of a school - the trees over the wall are in an 'agricultural yard' - where the students learn how to bury stuff - like plants. There are also greenhouses over the wall - can't be seen. However all the leaves are gone - except for the lonely evergreen.
The grafitti on the wall comes and goes - most times just before any holidays. The painters take care of it overnight - quick spray job with the same terracotta-coloured paint - it's gone in less than an hour. All that hard work of art, buried in next to no-time at all. I wonder why the students bother. :)

IMG_0122_zps227d9b22.jpg

Some beautiful photos in this thread. 👍 I spent a lot of this year hiking the Appalachian Trail. When I got up to Maine in September the colors were really starting to show. I've lived in the Caribbean all my life and before my trip this year I had never seen leaves changing in the fall. It was incredible to say the least. Here's a couple shots. Point and shoot camera so not the best quality.

Some beautiful photos in this thread. 👍 I spent a lot of this year hiking the Appalachian Trail. When I got up to Maine in September the colors were really starting to show.

Must have been an amazing treat for you. Plus - you happened to be in one of the most famous places for Fall colour that is truly spectacular.

I've lived in the Caribbean all my life and before my trip this year I had never seen leaves changing in the fall. It was incredible to say the least. Here's a couple shots. Point and shoot camera so not the best quality.

Great pics. Not really a contest - so good enough for us to see what you saw. And felt. Actually - very good. Nice panoramas. 👍

Hope you got more shots as the trees got riper.

It was amazing. I'd always see pictures of the leaves changing but actually seeing it up close and personal is such a great experience. I did get more shots further on in the 100-mile wilderness and in Baxter State Park however they were with a crappy cell phone camera since my camera took a dunk in the water during a river crossing and I didn't get it dried out until after the trip.

I know I shouldn't even crack a smile at your shutterbox taking a dive, but . . . :)

You'd be surprised,though, how much even crappy pictures can be cleaned up.
Thanks for showing us what you did think was good enough. 👍

Hoping not to get caught out this year - but the rains seem to have put a damper on the sap running red. Trees are soggy, leaves are quickly turning brown, and there is no flame in the forest at the moment.

How about the rest of you guys? Any early shots of botanical fire?

This one's from a few weeks ago when the first leaves started changing outside my house.
WP_20131023_08_25_16_Pro.jpg

Then I ended up heading down to the farm where my sister rides to get some pictures a few days ago.
WP_20131101_14_50_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20131101_16_26_27_Pro.jpg

And I just got this one in my backyard yesterday.
WP_20131102_10_41_00_Pro.jpg

Possibly the brightest yellow I've ever seen on a tree, but that might just be the lighting.

I've been wanting to go out and get some more, but my plans were to take some with mine and my friends car and it ended up being cloudy, so hopefully I get a reason to go out somewhere and get some before the leaves are gone.

@casey_2005: I envy that view with ever ounce of my being. Beautiful place.

Back