Awesome GT5/GT6 Idea

  • Thread starter Thread starter ElementRacer
  • 47 comments
  • 3,220 views
Just not for me, sorry. I put GT5 on to drive, not sit around watching this stuff. Call me strange. :guilty:

No, not strange. I just have a big interest in videos; videos that would look awesome in the mentioned garage we could get. This is a really brilliant idea. I like it!
 
Someone mentioned GT5's unnecessary fluff. I don't see any unnecessary fluff except GT TV.

GT TV isn't unnecessary fluff because it is squirreled away far away from the actual game, not even accessible except from the main menu. It's practically irrelevant even in terms of being a feature of the game; and I wouldn't be surprised if most people haven't even looked at it since downloading the Spec II intro.




Now as for things that are unnecessary fluff, there is plenty to go around for GT5. GT Auto, for example, hasn't been anything but a several minute waste of time ever since they decided they wanted everything to be animated with GT4 rather than the simple and fast system GT3 used (and even then, there was no reason that it couldn't be done from the garage menu). Ditto having all of the cars available to purchase spread out over three different areas on the GT World Map (which has been a problem with the series for every game bar GT3).

How about the system in place for purchases, forcing you to sit through a little 5 second video every time you buy a car? Or the system for prize cars, making you go to the Car Delivery submenu to actually acquire prize cars despite it serving no real purpose in the game? Or forcing you to go to GT Auto to change the oil on that brand new car to (somehow) get more power? How about when you buy parts but don't equip them, they get hidden away in a hard-to-find menu rather than just waiting to be equipped to the car you bought them for? What about Photomode, which requires you to save all pictures and replays to the game data first so you have the option to upload them to GT5's servers, but with no ability to save directly to the XMB or external media (as in GT4) so you have to go into the Pictures menu in the game to export them (and then quit the game to get pictures on an external drive)? For that matter, we could just expand that to "everything to do with GT5's UI" and save time when it concerns fluff getting in the way of functionality, because they once again tried to force the "World Map" menu hierarchy to work rather than one that actually functions well; only this time they saddled it with atrocious loading times.



So I'm not particularly keen on PD adding another massive layer of stuff akin to Auto Modellista on top of that just to look at your cars in the garage.


I'm just throwing it out there, that Forza took forever just to get into a race, and then still offered some "interesting" races that were hardly worth the wait.

It actually doesn't, but okay.



When you signed on here you agreed to a little thing called the AUP and I'm pretty sure that telling someone to "shut up" violates the AUP. You can take down your remarks voluntarily or we can send them along to a mod to figure out where they stand, the choice is yours.
:lol:
 
Last edited:
- New Garage(s), buy-able garages (not real money), customize-able garages. Thats a features most of us would really like. They need to be innovative on this one.

- 32 cars race. Pace car and race officials that can flag you in a spectators kind of way. Nothing too complicated. Someone that could red flag a race or black flag a dirty driver for penalty pit stop for example.

- Replace ugly digitalized Vettel, Gordon or Loeb by pics of sexy chicks. Once again, nothing too complicated. Both goes along pretty nicely.
 
So, presumably, if it can be incorporated into a new, sleeker, easier-to-use UI with snappy transitions and zero loading delay (and no stupid phone-home checks at every screen), then the idea is OK?

Can the idea not be judged separately from the current state of GT5's UI? Or are we really to conclude that because PD's recent track record with archaic, maze-like menus and inconsiderate / egomaniacal "remove-control from player and force them to watch this thing I made" antics (like so many games, I guess) that nothing should ever actually be added?

It's not a case of fix the menus first, then add to it, either, because that'll fix nothing. It all needs to be considered together, as a whole, from the start.
 
When you signed on here you agreed to a little thing called the AUP and I'm pretty sure that telling someone to "shut up" violates the AUP. You can take down your remarks voluntarily or we can send them along to a mod to figure out where they stand, the choice is yours.

Last I checked, your account is not of a moderator status. So no need to put forth the attitude shown in the quoted bit. There certainly is no need to threaten certain members to take their posted material to a moderator.

If a moderator finds the bit unsuited according to the AUP themselves, I am sure they will handle accordingly.
 
So, presumably, if it can be incorporated into a new, sleeker, easier-to-use UI with snappy transitions and zero loading delay (and no stupid phone-home checks at every screen), then the idea is OK?
That's a pretty big if, but yes. There is nothing wrong with the idea.


The problem is:

Can the idea not be judged separately from the current state of GT5's UI? Or are we really to conclude that because PD's recent track record with archaic, maze-like menus and inconsiderate / egomaniacal "remove-control from player and force them to watch this thing I made" antics (like so many games, I guess) that nothing should ever actually be added?

No it can't be judged separately from what PD has delivered to this point when the execution of the idea is what matters. It's not a recent track record that you are asking people to overlook. It is a consistent, overarching one that dates back all the way to the first GT game with only one example of a strong deviation away from it; and one that only happens to be at its worst in GT5 rather than a new thing.


Perhaps there is some way that such an idea can be implemented into the series without making the UI even worse than it has traditionally been (and I'd like to see some game try it and do it well, because even Auto Modellista had incredibly convoluted menu design despite being built around such customization; and that's the closest a game has gotten to the OP's idea). But I don't care enough for the concept itself (at least not compared to having a simple freeview system to let you look at the cars closely like that in Forza 4 or pre-Criterion NFS games) to give PD the benefit of the doubt that they could actually do it without just adding on to the UI problems their games already have.
 
Last edited:
I can see it being incorporated into a menu system though, a 3D garage you can decorate yourself (and which could double as a Photo-Mode location) containing one selected car ('entering' it will lead to your car selection) and other paraphernalia in your garage leading to other game-elements (laptop to NCD/UCD/tuning shop for example, the garage itself effectively replacing GT-Auto entirely) or features like a wardrobe for suits and helmets, etc.
With quick navigation (walking around only in Photo-Mode) I wouldn't mind this at all.
 
That's a pretty big if, but yes. There is nothing wrong with the idea.


The problem is:



No it can't be judged separately from what PD has delivered to this point when the execution of the idea is what matters. It's not a recent track record that you are asking people to overlook. It is a consistent, overarching one that dates back all the way to the first GT game with only one example of a strong deviation away from it; and one that only happens to be at its worst in GT5 rather than a new thing.


Perhaps there is some way that such an idea can be implemented into the series without making the UI even worse than it has traditionally been (and I'd like to see some game try it and do it well, because even Auto Modellista had incredibly convoluted menu design despite being built around such customization; and that's the closest a game has gotten to the OP's idea). But I don't care enough for the concept itself (at least not compared to having a simple freeview system to let you look at the cars closely like that in Forza 4 or pre-Criterion NFS games) to give PD the benefit of the doubt that they could actually do it without just adding on to the UI problems their games already have.

The way I see it, there's two extremes to the way PD could move forward in terms of the interface, and how that affects the idea presented:

1. Start from scratch; there's no better time to look at the bigger picture and see what else they could bring in or leave out etc. and design it from the start to make the most of it all. No penalty for including the feature.

2. Add it into the existing UI; it's already a mess and this isn't going to change a thing (we already have the framework for custom backgrounds loading in the, er, background from GT5:P, too). No penalty for including the feature.

Complain about the existing interface at your leisure, it really does need improving, but it is by no means a reason not to do something like the OP is suggesting. It's a pretty weak argument against it altogether, actually, given it's just a backdrop that the UI sits on top of. All those UI improvements you talked of could still be made anyway - just stopping the redundant caching and uncaching and phoning-home would work wonders, but we really need something totally new.

As it stands, I'd rather have something like this and a crappy UI than just the crappy UI.
 
Alright,I edited it.

@Melancholy,I myself think the Museum is kind of fluffy too.

Hehe. Fluffy.

Thanks Zoto, you are a gentleman and a scholar. 👍

Last I checked, your account is not of a moderator status. So no need to put forth the attitude shown in the quoted bit. There certainly is no need to threaten certain members to take their posted material to a moderator.

If a moderator finds the bit unsuited according to the AUP themselves, I am sure they will handle accordingly.

I prefer to handle things on my own without getting mods involved if that's ok with you. Problem resolved to everyone's satisfaction without bringing in the heat.
 
I prefer to handle things on my own without getting mods involved if that's ok with you. Problem resolved to everyone's satisfaction without bringing in the heat.

Except, as a member, that isn't you responsibility. You want to handle something? Report it and move on, or politely remind them of the AUP and move on - what you did was a threat and is unacceptable as you have no authority to impose your will on anyone.

Do it again and you'll be the one who any ire is directed toward.
 
Ahem.

I like the idea of a customisable garage, in principle. But first things first - let us customise our cars better (decals, visual designs, etc.).
 
Alright,I edited it.

Zoto, you are still a gentleman and a scholar but it appears I owe you an apology for overstepping my authority. My apologies.:bowdown::cheers:
 
Zoto, you are still a gentleman and a scholar but it appears I owe you an apology for overstepping my authority. My apologies.:bowdown::cheers:

You must respect AUTHORATA Johnny. ;)

I don't understand what goes on here some times. I really don't. This was a small breeze in a teacup.

Anyway to add to the op
I'd like to be able to take a photo of all my cars at once either in A great big hanger or a great big field. I'd like to be able to walk my driver through that field or garage and just look at them all.

Studio photo location would be good too with studio backdrops and positional lighting. That would really add to photo mode.
 
Last edited:
I just had a brainwave.

Imagine, of all your visually modified cars, you could choose 6, and have them postioned in a user decorated garage/workshop.

Think of the Top Gear intro, with the DB9, Ford GT, and i believe Ferrari?

The car positioning would be configured to mimic the photo travel idea.

Garages Similar to Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Decoration: users define EVERYTHING

A possible list of garage features:

Floor material
Wall paint/Wallpaper
Photos in frames
Garage door style
Car covers
Wheel mats (like in shopping centers)
Engines on stands (RB's, 2ZJ's etc)
Open/Close hoods
Oil stains on floor
Hanging overalls
Selected Front bumpers hanging on walls
Motor Related Signs

Anyone lile the idea?

I could go for this.
 
Zoto, you are still a gentleman and a scholar but it appears I owe you an apology for overstepping my authority. My apologies.:bowdown::cheers:

It's okay bud :cheers:
 
sounds cool. this would be a great addition to the free roam kaz was on about. you could buy a bit of land in the free roam land and have your garage there where online drivers could see your cars and what youve done to them, and then ask for a race or even ask to test drive them. you could even sell your cars if the price is right. :)
 
Back