Az's BMW M3 - Found out only 113 in my Paint/Interior, aww yeah

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 664 comments

Azuremen

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premium
United States
Note, post below this has a table of contents for various updates I've done.

Been a while since I've updated this thread.

The M3 got a new cooling system after the cooling fan decided to explode in typical fashion, and I'm running the car without the clutch driven fan at the moment. Honestly don't notice it is gone unless I just park the car running for ages. Also discovered there was a 95 degree thermostat, which explains why the heater didn't work half the time in the winter for short trips - put a 75 degree in to replace it since I don't have that fan.

Piece of trim fell out of the bumper, so need to get to that as well, and a few more small scratches from people being careless opening their doors in parking lots :indiff:

Up next on the agenda are front rotors and pads, along with shocks. Also would like to get the tint redone and still debating on insane colored DS1 wheels like Lime Green or Cone Orange.

I still love the car, despite the random German quirks. It handles fantastic for day to day use, has enough power and refinement to get me around quite happily. My only real complainant is with the Star Specs I can't hoon around without going a bit too quick for streets. A slightly less grippy tire may be in the future if I also do the DS1's up.

Recent pics for the curious. since the last picture is from November.

Daytona Violet M3 by Cody Schroeder, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm a big fan of the MR-S. I'd kind of like to build one up as an autocross toy and see how it fares against the Legion of Miata.

Well, the odd numbered generation MR2s are better than the even generation one was. And if he was to do this:
Azureman
I was easily able to do figure eights and slalom style runs while constantly maintaining a decent slip angle.
In an SW20, the result would be this:
250px-Nagasakibomb.jpg

Nice car, by the way. I always preferred the MRS to the Miata, to be honest. Seems much more usable to me, for reasons you already outlined.

Awesome!

I'm glad you found one with fewer miles, that nice one we talked about earlier worried me with almost 100K on the clock. I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous, as I'd love to have something "sporty" in the driveway as well.

The M3 will have to do...

So let me get this straight... you have an '87 MR2, a 2000 MR2 and a 70s Celica.. and you're still in college? I'm not implying anything, I'm just asking.

And a 99 Corolla. And yes, I am still in college. I'll just say this - tragedy happened in my life and I have recently indulged in retail therapy. Of a large scale of sorts. Its still far more sane a purchase then when I was briefly considering getting an NSX.

The only way the car is less usable than a Miata is in that I don't have a trunk. I can put a whole 2, maybe 3, back packs in the random storage spaces through out the car.

Congrats! :cheers:
Looks awesome and I'm sure it's going to be fun to own.
Take care of it and I'm sure it will take care of you (in a good way :D ).

Edit:
Gotta say... I like it so much I'm interested in one for myself. :sly:
So...
What's the trunk space like? I've got to be able to use the trunk for a variety of reasons. :ouch:
2 seats isn't a problem to me, nor space, but what about the seats, how do they feel?

I've never been in a MR-S/MR2 and I'm wondering what it was about this car that made you commit to buying since I can understand liking it... I drive a Corolla (an '01 and an '06).

Congrats! :cheers:
Looks awesome and I'm sure it's going to be fun to own.
Take care of it and I'm sure it will take care of you (in a good way :D ).

Edit:
Gotta say... I like it so much I'm interested in one for myself. :sly:
So...
What's the trunk space like? I've got to be able to use the trunk for a variety of reasons. :ouch:
2 seats isn't a problem to me, nor space, but what about the seats, how do they feel?

I've never been in a MR-S/MR2 and I'm wondering what it was about this car that made you commit to buying since I can understand liking it... I drive a Corolla (an '01 and an '06).

Trunk... space? :lol:

Seriously... most of the storage is behind the sits, and that is literally filled by two school backpacks and a coat. The front trunk is mostly a spare tire with maybe enough room for a backpack as well. Maybe. With the top up, there is a small shelf behind the seats as well, but thats space disappears as the top goes there.

... So, when are you going to find a rear-ended Celica GTS and put that engine into MR-S? :D

About 2 years, when I get out of school. Picking up some of these for autocross days though...
ku_ecsta_v710_ci2_l.jpg

I was always a closet MR-S fan. 👍

It's like the cheap man's Boxster.

Elise...

Yes, it looks like a Boxster, but the car is more like an Elise in the weight and power departments.

Oh, and pictures.
PICT0044.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

Awesome buy, Azuremen! I've always thought the MR-S was one of Toyota's most underappreciated cars, along with the ZZT230 Celica. :) 👍

Your shots are over GT4-quality there, Azuremen.

Once again, I wish you good times with the car. I didn't know it could be driven in winter.

It does quite well in the snow actually, in part do to the decent tires.

Thanks for the comment on the pictures... just some quick things I put together with a random camera. Better ones in the future.

Nice mr2!
Did you catch the modding bug yet?

Not for a while, since its spendy and I plan to compete in Stock class for autocross.

Awesome buy, Azuremen! I've always thought the MR-S was one of Toyota's most underappreciated cars, along with the ZZT230 Celica. :) 👍

Agreed. I was considering a Celica GT-S for a bit, but realized I didn't need two front wheel drive daily cars, and I didn't want to deliver pizza with a nice Celica. Same reason I dropped the IS300 idea, since it would replace the Corolla as well.

Nice buy there Cody.

I saw a mention of you possessing a 70s Celica which, as much a MR-S would be quite cool, piqued my curiousity far more.

Hope you don't mind a little off topic but what sort?

Great..... whys everyone applauding Cody for his purchase, and yet, why I find it stupid and jealous he bought another MR2 and now have 4 cars. :grumpy: Hell, for me to even find a 500US$ car is still as hard as 🤬 (+ the fact that I need to find a job to get money) All I can say is you are just lucky guy........

Sooooooo anyways, what mods are you planning to do on this bad boy? A hard top maybe? Some new wheels and tires maybe? Even an engine swap? :eek:

Nice buy there Cody.

I saw a mention of you possessing a 70s Celica which, as much a MR-S would be quite cool, piqued my curiousity far more.

Hope you don't mind a little off topic but what sort?

A 1977 Celica GT Liftback. Has the 20R in it, 5speed, and needs a lot of work and time. Its a huge project that will take me years, once I get started. I'll likely just do bits and pieces here as I have time on the side.

Have you given her a name yet?

I don't really do the car naming thing... I just call them by something easy to and distinct. This will likely go by "MR-S" or "the Spyder."

Great..... whys everyone applauding Cody for his purchase, and yet, why I find it stupid and jealous he bought another MR2 and now have 4 cars. :grumpy: Hell, for me to even find a 500US$ car is still as hard as 🤬 (+ the fact that I need to find a job to get money) All I can say is you are just lucky guy........

Sooooooo anyways, what mods are you planning to do on this bad boy? A hard top maybe? Some new wheels and tires maybe? Even an engine swap? :eek:

Some people here will note the bold... and my get why I did that. I'm not so lucky in a sense, yet in others I am.

About modding... I will get some wheels and tires for track day use. The hardtop, at $2400 USD is a bit too spendy for my taste right now. I am thinking about getting the TRD lip and side skirts, just because they greatly enhance the look in a performance like way without being over the top.

Springs and shocks next year, maybe. It depends on how I want to run in autocross and those in my class. Engine swap... yeah, I'm thinking about finding a trashed 2001 or so Celica GT-S in a couple years; the shorter gearing on the 5 speed combined with the high revving 2ZZ-GE should result in a rocket.

Back