B-Spec Grinder 2.5.2: Automate Remote Races

• Thread starter yonis
  • 4,266 comments
Some people (not me, unfortunately) are just shy of $40 Million.
If you know of anyone else with similarly high B-Spec credits, please get them in touch with me as I'd like to compare notes. :D

And I should hit 40M in the BoB in the next few days.

I suppose you could write a browser extension or a Greasemonkey script to automate races... But I see no significant benefit to doing that.

Yonis, you're going through a bunch of poorly compensated trouble to get us a widget that works and has some features. Don't waste your time doing other stuff that has no value. Stick to getting us a working widget, dude. You have all my gratitude.

Dannyg77
aka
Sancho_Pwnza77 <--PSN ID

Oh and by the way, after you posted a link to an updated version 0.9.1 of the widget, this is what I saw happen tonight

03/15/11 19:48:00.310: RAW STATUS: Ready.
03/15/11 19:49:47.154: Race has started.
03/15/11 20:11:51.466: Race has started.

That's enough to make a grown man cry. :cheers:

TB
If you know of anyone else with similarly high B-Spec credits, please get them in touch with me as I'd like to compare notes. :D

That was referring to you. ;)

TB
And I should hit 40M in the BoB in the next few days.

I'm sure you will. Based on my calculations, I could be there in about 5 days. Iff, I wouldn't do anything else with my PS3, left it on for the entire time, and the widget would keep running flawlessly. Needless to say, that ain't gonna happen.

To begin with, having more than 4 posts would help ;)

OK, here is post #5. That's all it takes?

On more serious notes...

Where does the grinder widget cache input (mac version)? I ask because I un-friended someone on my ps3, but the grinder is still running drivers from that user. Very strange because I logged in the remote racing site, the un-friend does not show up, but his drivers are able to participate in my races via the grinder. I closed the widget, re-opened it, and a race showed up that wasn't even mine, with drivers/users who are complete strangers. Closed the widget again and re-opened and they went away. I get the feeling that the remote racing api is not doing much checking on session ids.

Installed and running. Thanks!

Edit: I cannot figure out how to get the console window running. Tried the ctrl+shift right click on the taskbar icon... what am I missing?

Edit#2: Scratch that. Found the icon and menu. Waiting for the current race to end...

Last edited:
I had 1.1.3 running for all night, no races started, reloaded a few times today, no race started.
Now tried the 0.9.1 with new authentication, it started a race right away.

I'm confused... ;)

Been running 1.1.3 all night, zero problems or errors (UK) with a manually run first race that's 4 nights running smoothly.

Week nights seem to run flawless for me just weekends seem to get hiccup-y
Could that possibly be more users at weekends?

I have noticed that switching accounts causes me problems with less than 16 drivers being selected,
would presume this was GT's servers not refreshing quickly?
Not sure if other people are doing this hence why there having problems too.

Manually starting the first race seems to have cured all my ill's :)

Kudos Yonis 1.1.3 seems the best so far to me

Widget has been working flawlessly for me for a while now (latest version).

One thing that is troubling me is that it doesn't seem to be as random in choosing drivers as it has done in the past. It's quite common to see in races around 4+ bobs from the same "friend" and in some cases their full roster. This not being limited to just the one friend per race and the amount of friends getting hosted is very limited to only the lucky few who were chosen.

I suppose you could write a browser extension or a Greasemonkey script to automate races... But I see no significant benefit to doing that.

Actually, I see one benefit from a browser extension. It would probably work with Linux.

My current remote race setup involves a computer at work running windows and remote-desktop application on my home computer (running Ubuntu).
So I'm actually Remote Remote Racing ;)

The flaw with this, is when I leave it on for the weekend, my work-PC sometimes go off-line for some unknown reason.
But I'm not complaining, and I don't expect you to even consider doing it for such a small user-base.

Actually, I see one benefit from a browser extension. It would probably work with Linux.

That is true. Though a browser extension would probably be a bit overkill just to make it run on Linux. Nothing that couldn't be done on the command line, no? ;)

So Yonis, any update on a new version release?? :D

I assume you mean driver selection. :) I still don't know yet, but I'll give another status update.

Right now, as you saw in the YouTube video I posted a few pages back, I've hooked up the UI for rearranging friends and drivers. I've also started work on the backend for saving all your settings made in that window, and I've also implemented the setting which automatically reciprocates racing for friends who use your drivers.

Next up is adding the always/sometimes/never use groups to the list and saving settings.

Now this is whack....

I start the widget this morning....just checked 1 hour later and I'm on the same race and same point in the race every time I check...it's Groundhog Day....:lol:

Left my widget running overnight. Woke up to find it only ran 3 races and then ended up in no mans land until I restarted it.

I am constantly getting the "There's nobody to race!" message. Not even a cache clear solved this.

Edit: Strange, the debug version of 1.1.3 works. I'll use that until the other version's all good.

Last edited:
Mine has yet to run overnight. I check my PS3 and it's still in server enable mode, so I stop the GT5 server enable mode, restart it, and the widget works again for X races.

It's pretty sweet overall. I like having it do my grinding for me. I believe PD should have had a similar 3x feature from GT4 B-Spec.. so it's totally kosher in my books :P as I believe PD should have included something like this in GT5 to speed up B-spec.

Thanks yonis for taking the time to provide such a feature.

I had 1.1.3 running for all night, no races started, reloaded a few times today, no race started.
Now tried the 0.9.1 with new authentication, it started a race right away.

I'm confused... ;)
I am too! :( I've never, ever seen this issue on 1.1.3 on my computer at home. I have one theory as to why it doesn't work which I'm testing with someone right now, which is that 0.9.1 reserves drivers differently from 1.1.3; 0.9.1 waits for a few seconds between fetching a driver list and reserving drivers, because it fetches every single driver list from every single friend before reserving drivers. 1.1.3 acts more human-like in that it fetches a friend's driver list, immediately reserves drivers, and then fetches another list if it needs more drivers. But this means that the delay that's present in 0.9.1 is gone. So this debugging version adds a delay which gets progressively longer each time it fails to start a race, to see if a delay has any weight at all in this matter. You can change the delay to any arbitrary number of seconds by typing CONFIG.delay = 10; into the debug window, where 10 is the number of seconds &#8212; You can change that to any number (just don't try to set it to anything below 1 or above 25).
Where does the grinder widget cache input (mac version)? I ask because I un-friended someone on my ps3, but the grinder is still running drivers from that user. Very strange because I logged in the remote racing site, the un-friend does not show up, but his drivers are able to participate in my races via the grinder.
The Widget currently doesn't cache any data. Right now it just fetches your friends list when it first launches &#8212; if your list changes later, you need to reload it for now (as you did).
I closed the widget, re-opened it, and a race showed up that wasn't even mine, with drivers/users who are complete strangers. Closed the widget again and re-opened and they went away. I get the feeling that the remote racing api is not doing much checking on session ids.
The API sent the Widget the ID of a race that isn't your own. It's a known problem for which I have a workaround built into the Widget, but it takes a few minutes for the API to send us the correct B-Spec monitor ID.

Hi,
I wanted to sat that this is a top Program, it has re invigorated the game for me, allowing me to buy more must have cars..

Thanks.

only one bob will join races, what are iam doing wroong ?💡

One of your Bobs?
If so, 1 is all that's meant to join. It's a limitation of remote racing.

If you mean other people's Bobs, are you sure they're showing in your friends list on the gran-turismo.com site?

I am too! :( I've never, ever seen this issue on 1.1.3 on my computer at home. I have one theory as to why it doesn't work which I'm testing with someone right now, which is that 0.9.1 reserves drivers differently from 1.1.3; 0.9.1 waits for a few seconds between fetching a driver list and reserving drivers, because it fetches every single driver list from every single friend before reserving drivers. 1.1.3 acts more human-like in that it fetches a friend's driver list, immediately reserves drivers, and then fetches another list if it needs more drivers. But this means that the delay that's present in 0.9.1 is gone. So this debugging version adds a delay which gets progressively longer each time it fails to start a race, to see if a delay has any weight at all in this matter. You can change the delay to any arbitrary number of seconds by typing CONFIG.delay = 10; into the debug window, where 10 is the number of seconds — You can change that to any number (just don't try to set it to anything below 1 or above 25).
The Widget currently doesn't cache any data. Right now it just fetches your friends list when it first launches — if your list changes later, you need to reload it for now (as you did).
The API sent the Widget the ID of a race that isn't your own. It's a known problem for which I have a workaround built into the Widget, but it takes a few minutes for the API to send us the correct B-Spec monitor ID.
In my testing, 14 seconds fails, 14.25 seconds works.

What about verifying the reservations after each thread of 4 reservations completes and have it adjust the delay in a retry before proceeding?

The Widget currently doesn't cache any data. Right now it just fetches your friends list when it first launches — if your list changes later, you need to reload it for now (as you did).
It went away in about 30 minutes, must have been a sync issue on the PD side of things...

I noticed a slight bug in GT5.kon, line 212, needs a space after size="12":

Code:
size="12"color="#FFFFFF" />

You can change the delay to any arbitrary number of seconds by typing CONFIG.delay = 10; into the debug window, where 10 is the number of seconds &#8212; You can change that to any number (just don't try to set it to anything below 1 or above 25).

I would love it if this was a built in feature in an upcoming version. I use the widget on an alternate account that only has me as its friends, with a total of 15 drivers available. Due to server lag (I think), many of the races don't fill up because when you query for available drivers, they're still marked as being used from the previous race. If I could set a 1-2 minute delay between races, I think that would fix my problem.

Latest Posts

Back