B-Spec is infinitely broken, not fun, and isn't racing

• Thread starter Conquerer
  • 205 comments
Conquerer13
I can't understand this mode at all. The frustration involved with it is so extreme. My drivers aren't even racing. They're just driving with a bunch of other cars on the track. He has the inside line? Doesn't matter, he'll let the car he's actually ahead of through. Chance to pass? No, he'll brake early. Passing on a straightaway? Nah, he'll have a look and then drive back into the rear of the car or just brake instead of trying to pass.

And the best are ovals... Yes, brake on Daytona repeatedly and watch your opponents go past you... Makes a lot of sense. And when he's 75% or more into the red he makes the exact same mistakes at each corner every single time... ramming the throttle before he's even at the apex. Nice to see he's learning anything at all.

It's such a shame. The idea of this mode is great, but it's just so so so so so so so extremely poorly implemented. I can't even believe it's possible for a team to allow it to be this bad. My drivers are up to around level 10 and there's still no improvement whatsoever. I win races handedly in bone stock cars but even when I give them 300HP+ over the competition they still pathetically manage to not even come close to winning in some races.

It's so just unbelievable. B-Spec was fine in GT4.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pace speeds and an overtake button. Perfect. Oh, and your driver actually wasn't a retard with no concept of racing or competition within him. He actually raced at the pace you told him to, did it consistently, and drove like a regular driver would. In GT5 there is no such thing. This is not racing at all....

I mean seriously, am I out of line here? Please tell me how some of you have the capacity to do this... Is there anyone that disagrees with what I've said? I'd really like to hear what some of the people who are enjoying this mode have to say.

Last edited:
yeah, sometimes B-Spec is downright frustrating. I'm grinding right now on the Daytona Speedway in my Veyron, and he brakes around EVERY turn, HARD.

I can't even finish the truck race because he brakes all the time on Daytona. And this other track, I forget the name, after exiting a turn he would end up in the pit lane. He did this at least 4 times before he actually won that race.

I can't understand this mode at all. The frustration involved with it is so extreme. My drivers aren't even racing. They're just driving with a bunch of other cars on the track. He has the inside line? Doesn't matter, he'll let the car he's actually ahead of through. Chance to pass? No, he'll brake early. Passing on a straight away? Nah, he'll have a look and then drive back into the rear of the car or just brake instead of trying to pass.

And the best are ovals... Yes, brake on Daytona repeatedly and watch your opponents go past you... Makes a lot of sense. And when he's 75% or more into the red he makes the exact same mistakes at each corner every single time... ramming the throttle before he's even at the apex. Nice to see he's learning anything at all.

It's such a shame. The idea of this mode is great, but it's just so so so so so so so extremely poorly implemented. I can't even believe it's possible for a team to allow it to be this bad. My drivers are up to around level 10 and there's still no improvement whatsoever. I win races handedly in bone stock cars but even when I give them 300HP+ over the competition they still pathetically manage to not even close to winning in some races.

It's so just unbelievable. B-Spec was fine in GT4.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pace speeds and an overtake button. Perfect. Oh, and your driver actually wasn't a retard with no concept of racing or competition within hin. He actually raced at the pace you told him to, did it consistently, and drove like a regular driver would. In GT5 there is no such thing as thing. This is not racing at all....

I mean seriously, am I out of line here? Please tell me how some of you have the capacity to do this... Is there anyone that disagrees with what I've said? I'd really like to hear what some of the people who are enjoying this mode have to say.

I would struggle to find fault with anything you've said.
B-Spec is like some sort of "comedy mode". Imagine, for a second, someone who has never played a GT game... they come along and watch a race on B-Spec mode. What do you honestly think their reaction would be?

Something like: "Gaaaahahahahahaaa!.... wtf???"

:banghead:

I love B-Spec because it's the easiest way to get experience and free cars. You just setup your driver with an overpowered car and go do something else while you win races. If you're sitting there watching it it's incredibly boring but there's no need to.

"Grinding" (if you can call it that) endurance races overnight in B-Spec > Grinding Indy 500 over and over until you hit 30

I love B-Spec because it's the easiest way to get experience and free cars. You just setup your driver with an overpowered car and go do something else while you win races. If you're sitting there watching it it's incredibly boring but there's no need to.

"Grinding" (if you can call it that) endurance races overnight in B-Spec > Grinding Indy 500 over and over until you hit 30

That's the problem though, and it proves how awful b-spec is. I'd like to enter him into races with a car of equal power and have him put some bloody effort into it, but it's not gonna happen.

That's the problem though, and it proves how awful b-spec is. I'd like to enter him into races with a car of equal power and have him put some bloody effort into it, but it's not gonna happen.

I agree, it's no where near realistic racing and they're awful drivers. That being said it beats the hell out of grinding A-Spec to level, so I'm still glad it's in the game. It would take me a long time to get the X-1 without it.

I have had no problems with B-Spec. My driver won the Nascar Series first try. You probably aren't guiding him properly. Instead of just mashing the pace up and overtake buttons try timing the use of them for when it is appropriate. For example when he actually has a good opportunity to overtake.

Sorry, but this is wrong as well. You should read my thread on the SuperGT series. They can and do have good, close races. When the one directing them isn't a moron who just mashes the commands, or expects to AFK all the time and use it like a cash cow.

The Key to B-spec is setting up the Car for the Drivers

On Ovals the easy Option is to set the Front an Rear brakes too 1 on each

Even the Crowd can see the B-specs Bobs eyes pop out of his head when he hits the brakes and nothing happens :lol: also stops them slowing down too much

Earlier levels are frustrating i just stuck mine in the most Powerfull Cars i had , watching a novice B-Spec Bob in a Tuned Mclaren is quite funny :lol:

Right now i've got four Bobs

Level 23 Bob has 131 Wins in 143 Races
Level 13 bob has 17 out of 17
Level 3 Bob has 10 in 10
and Level 2 an a bit has 8 in 8

Its how you manage them that counts later on you can leave them do there thing overnight and let them win you Cash and Cars and as they level up they need less attention aswell

Plus they will Win you Cars that you'll need yourself later in the Game

Bonus if you can put up with it all is the Free X1 at Level 35 when you reach it

All that for the occsional push of a button , seems easy to me at least

I think tuning is more important than anything else for races where the competition is even like NASCAR and Formula GT. If you can get the right tuning setup you can still leave him alone and win the race.

I have had no problems with B-Spec. My driver won the Nascar Series first try. You probably aren't guiding him properly. Instead of just mashing the pace up and overtake buttons try timing the use of them for when it is appropriate. For example when he actually has a good opportunity to overtake.

That's common sense, and that's what I'm doing. Idiot just doesn't know how to pass some cars. Then finally when he does if he ever does they just disappear behind him, showing how sad it is how long it took to get by. I find it very hard to believe you haven't had any problems with B-spec... You have no problems with your driver braking on straightaways and not knowing how to pass other cars?

Sorry, but this is wrong as well. You should read my thread on the SuperGT series. They can and do have good, close races. When the one directing them isn't a moron who just mashes the commands, or expects to AFK all the time and use it like a cash cow.

It's not the one directing him who's the moron... You really seem to be defending the way these guys drive. And I'm not even talking about the NASCAR series. I'm not even close to that. I'm talking about the majority of the harder events from levels 1-10, especially ones like the Nostalgia Supercar. It doesn't matter how smart you are with your button pushing; your driver is just such an idiot that he doesn't understand how to pass.

I've only put up with the torture of B spec because of the cars it wins. All of these boneheads drive the same I don't care what the stats are. On the other hand they just got to level 30 and that got me to the Vettel Challenge, which got me the X-1. Right now my group of living turds are racing the X-1 on the Suzuka enduro. It's really funny to see them coming up behind the other cars at max speed. Of course they don't brake they hit 'em as hard as they can in the butt. By my estimation in the last 3 hours they have probably totaled the car 30-40 times. Now if that's not comedy I don't know what is.

And op, you are absolutely correct in that GT4 had the B spec thing nailed. I have no idea why they fixed something that wasn't broken.

So him slamming on the brakes is my fault in how I'm controlling him?

Yes. My guess is that you just keep telling him to pace up all of the time. When you do this, he starts to make mistakes because he is getting frustrated. Keep them calm, and it goes a lot smoother. Like I said, my Bob won the Nascar series in one try.

B-Spec is easy. You just have to remember you're training someone that's never raced. They learn with experience. 3rd try at truck race in a 460 hp Lightning and I'm about to win.

Yes. My guess is that you just keep telling him to pace up all of the time. When you do this, he starts to make mistakes because he is getting frustrated. Keep them calm, and it goes a lot smoother. Like I said, my Bob won the Nascar series in one try.

I keep him just above middle. That doesn't stop him from braking at the finish line

Just replace B-spec with Formula One in your statement and it's the sentiment of a lot of racing fans: "Formula One is infinitely broken, not fun, and isn't racing." I don't know if either is true since I love F1 and haven't played GT5 to have an opinion of its B-spec.

Agree with pretty much everything in the OP. It's simply frustrating sometimes. I do use overtake and pace up sparingly and only when he clearly has an easy pass and it's like he doesn't like to win or something. One time a car in front of him spun out and he decided to drive right behind the spun out car and wait for him to right himself and keep going. WHO DOES THAT?!

Also, the overpowered car thing? Doesn't always work for me too. Sure he'll be ahead in the first few laps or so but after a while he'll start lazying around and let the competition catch up and sometimes pass him. Keep him calm and in the blue, and he slows down like he's crusin for show. Pushing "pace up" doesn't seem to help... only when someone passes him does he seem to drive mildly faster. Extremely frustrating.

That's common sense, and that's what I'm doing. Idiot just doesn't know how to pass some cars. Then finally when he does if he ever does they just disappear behind him, showing how sad it is how long it took to get by. I find it very hard to believe you haven't had any problems with B-spec... You have no problems with your driver braking on straightaways and not knowing how to pass other cars?

I haven't experienced the braking on straightaways, but I have noticed that they don't just push and shove their way past the competition. It comes back to "When did I tell him to overtake?" or more importantly "Did I instruct him to overtake?" people just assume that they're dumb because Kaz created it so that the Bob's couldn't just be AFK'd without a ridiculously superior car. When my Bob is in a superior car he has no trouble overtaking anything and everything quickly (except for when two cars are right next to each other, and there is no extra room on the road, he then waits until one passes the other :lol: ) otherwise I have to instruct him at the right time to do so.

Plus the whole button pushing thing is much worse than GT4. Say you press the wrong button by accident, you have to sit and watch as your idiot driver rams the throttle because he's just a bit too high up in the red. Or you want him to up his pace a bit and you press it, but he goes so far up and you can't stop it. Real life doesn't quite work like that...

At lower levels it can be frustrating... No doubt. But, what some have said is true... You do have to manage them correctly too.

I try to get past as many cars as possible in the first lap, then throttle back and make sure the driver runs at least a couple laps as clean as possible. You'd be surprised. Even at half "pace" the driver still runs quick laps.

If your B-Spec driver is braking too much, like at the Daytona start/finish line, it probably just means your car doesn't have enough grip to take the corners at proper speed while maintaining grip, and so he just takes the corners slower so that he can maintain grip.

I agree! B-Spec mode is really flawed and the driver is so stupid! They should have added more commands in the game to let the race feel more authentic, because having these 3 commands really doesn't work. My driver slams on the brakes at the wrong times and I wish I could instruct him when to brake! There was also a time where there was a car coming from his right to overtake and the driver just lets him pass. There are also times where the driver has great opportunity to overtake, but doesn't until I select it! But I can't because I previously chose "Keep Steady Pace" and I have to wait until I can choose a new command. There really needs to be more commands and be able change commands quickly! There should also be a way to train drivers so they won't be so stupid most times

There are also other times where B-Spec becomes unbelievably easy when you have a good car and makes the experience boring because after you overtake the cars in the first few minutes, you just have to keep clicking "Keep Steady Pace" for the rest of the race!

Last edited:
I can't understand this mode at all. The frustration involved with it is so extreme. My drivers aren't even racing. They're just driving with a bunch of other cars on the track. He has the inside line? Doesn't matter, he'll let the car he's actually ahead of through. Chance to pass? No, he'll brake early. Passing on a straightaway? Nah, he'll have a look and then drive back into the rear of the car or just brake instead of trying to pass.

It's such a shame. The idea of this mode is great, but it's just so so so so so so so extremely poorly implemented. I can't even believe it's possible for a team to allow it to be this bad. My drivers are up to around level 10 and there's still no improvement whatsoever. I win races handedly in bone stock cars but even when I give them 300HP+ over the competition they still pathetically manage to not even come close to winning in some races.

It's so just unbelievable. B-Spec was fine in GT4.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pace speeds and an overtake button. Perfect. Oh, and your driver actually wasn't a retard with no concept of racing or competition within him. He actually raced at the pace you told him to, did it consistently, and drove like a regular driver would. In GT5 there is no such thing. This is not racing at all....

I completely agree, sick of this game now I've had all my input into it.

Just gotta get on with 2 player and online now.

Whole heartedly disappointed with the challenge of this simulator.

So for you guys somehow actually managing to enjoy this mode, how are you instructing your driver? Where do you keep him the most on the hot/cold bar for regular driving and passing other cars? Any certain methods?

I agree 100% with the op. I've tried to manage my drivers every kind of way possible and they are pathetic. Slowly going around a corner and then gunning the gas so they end up off track constantly. As for keeping them calm, as soon as the race starts my drivers zoom into the red, if I tell them to pace down they get over taken. You can't even pause it or speed it up, its easily the worst aspect of the game. Add to those problems the fact that no one seems to know what effect leveling up has on the drivers or what exact level of management is needed and it adds up to an almighty mess

Back