B-Spec?

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 99 comments

What iteration of B-Spec would you like to see return for Gran Turismo 7?

• GT4

• GT5

• GT6

• Something New

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be honest, I don't really like leaving an AI to do the driving for me. But it's the only way I can complete the 24-hour races. None of my friends play racing games, so they can't help me out there. And I've never liked leaving my consoles on for several days at a time because, as far as I am aware, doing so can actually damage them (by overheating). So B-Spec is realistically the only way I can complete them.
In GT5 there was a save feature for endurance races that lets you save the progress and continue later, This is a lifesaver for endurance races.

Come on. B-Spec is for everyone. To be an engineer is a tough job. Strategizing without driving. Only going by what the driver says is happening to the vehicle. Making the right call at the right moment. If done right, it's a cool function. I'd like to see it return.

Racing against another person's B-Spec Bob in FIA, would be absolute fun. It's a different part of the game.

Yes but it was so primitive. Being a race engineer is far more than getting on the radio and saying "go faster", "overtake that car" with stupid drivers who go slow unless you do so.

If they're going to do it, it needs to be far more detailed and engaging.

Yes but it was so primitive. Being a race engineer is far more than getting on the radio and saying "go faster", "overtake that car" with stupid drivers who go slow unless you do so.

If they're going to do it, it needs to be far more detailed and engaging.
I think there was a Pass button. Had to smash it about 500 times before the AI would actually acknowledge and say, "Ohhhh, you wanted me to make a pass 5 laps ago. Cool! I'll try this lap."(with one lap to go).:rolleyes:

I did like how we had to use the AI in enduros. A couple are "tired" and one is just about to complete a stint. Do you use the fresh one that hasn't raced or use one recovering and save the fresh one for the final stint?
There'd have to be more built in to "train" alotted AI. Choosing one that's fast/reckless, one that's consistent, one that's slow and making it quicker. We'd need more options.

If it was to return i'd like to see something new but its ok if it was something like GT6 but please don't make it like GT5 that was by far the worst iteration of that feature.

95% of the players were only playing B-Spec because GT requires insane credits grind.... And on this area, the birthday presents glitch was so much better than B-Spec :dunce:

If one of the two is back, I know which one I prefer :D

The only real time I used b-spec was for the endurance races in GT4. Technically speaking you can fast forward on it and the game will do the automatic pitstops but Im feeling if we want a proper b-spec mode it needs to be like Motorsport Manager mixed with the ability to switch between A and B during a pitstop. I mean imagine if GT competitions had 24 hr. Races and the drivers need to communicate with eachother like a spotter and crew Chief.

I am told that there really was supposed to be a "Gran Turismo 3: B-spec". B-spec is already an issue as a mode that is supposed to be equivalent to A-spec, but as a standalone game? I get the feeling it would not have been loved by anyone.

To be fair in GT5/6 there is barely any grind . Even less if you factor in seasonal events and login bonus.
You mean the seasonal events and login bonus that are no longer available because the servers have been pulled? Imagine ever trying to play GT5 or 6 in the future. Mostly 5. I played 6 almost exclusively offline and it's fine, especially if you have the AE cars. No idea if you can still redeem AE codes, though. Maybe the real issue is that so much is tied to online...

You know what I would like to see?Have Bob learn from your A-spec runs, be able to develop your Bob , *and* be able to recruit your PSN friends' Bobs and manage them for endurance races while being able to tag in and out with your Bob

We could even give this technology a special name. They're like avatars for the player, and they drive, so maybe if we put the words "drive" and "avatar" together somehow...

You mean the seasonal events and login bonus that are no longer available because the servers have been pulled? Imagine ever trying to play GT5 or 6 in the future. Mostly 5. I played 6 almost exclusively offline and it's fine, especially if you have the AE cars. No idea if you can still redeem AE codes, though. Maybe the real issue is that so much is tied to online...
Yes i finished GT5 last summer and i used the garage editor for the Formula Gran Turismo (which is near impossible to obtain normally and i wasen't gonna go in and out of menus like a 🤬 monkey in order to get it) .
And to get a car for the Historic Racing Car Cup because in the way they structured its impossible to get enough credits in time and i didn't want to complete the races out of order to get a gift car. Other than that its simple as anything even more so in GT6 where the game holds your hand all the way through and most of the cars are super cheap.

GT5 was a grind IIRC. GT6 was trash. I liked using AI to grind in GT4.

A new way would be ideal. Signing AI drivers, training them up in tyre-wear-enabled races, boosting their stats, and even selling/trading them in an online market in the game would be great. We could even have online B-spec races where our AI's fight it out to earn XP. I'd like to have a b-spec option in all the single player races as well. Also, we should have a vomit mode where bspec bob drives us around as passengers in VR.

Right now I'll be happy if the game would just release with full VR support (campaign + MP). Would rather they put all their resources towards tat.

Please noooo

Because it's a bad idea? Or because anything associated with Forza is automatically bad and awful?

I think the general idea of training an AI driver to behave like you as a player is quite nifty, and while some games have had poor implementations in the past I still hold out hope that one day someone will get it right and it will be an excellent feature. And having an actual gameplay path that strongly involves the AI driver like the traditional GT endurance races would seem much more engaging than simply having it as an asynchronous multiplayer element.

Because it's a bad idea? Or because anything associated with Forza is automatically bad and awful?

I think the general idea of training an AI driver to behave like you as a player is quite nifty, and while some games have had poor implementations in the past I still hold out hope that one day someone will get it right and it will be an excellent feature. And having an actual gameplay path that strongly involves the AI driver like the traditional GT endurance races would seem much more engaging than simply having it as an asynchronous multiplayer element.

I never liked racing Drivatars in Forza. I own all the Forza games on PC so I'm not a hater. I just prefer AI in games like AC and AMS to name a few. Idea isn't bad but not the Turn 10 way.

This right here. Was acceptable in GT5 at time as no other game on console (That I remember anyway) did swapping out with the AI (Nor allowed swapping out one AI driver for another). Now however, I would much prefer something more evolved. Less GT5 style (Apart from names) and more Motorsport Manager style in terms of stats and strategy. I know, "Eww, a Mobile Game" (Which has a PC version mind you) but you try naming a more recent console game with something similar.

I play Motorsport Manager on PC and I love it, although it is a bit bare compared to the depth Football Manager has. I've always wanted a high budget, manager mode/progression based racing game, and GT5's B Spec was the closest thing.

I liked the pure spectacle of just watching racing sometimes, with the sentiment of being a driver that you hand picked and oversaw the growth of, while actively controlling their pace and strategy.

The problem with GT5, is that for one, the AI for both you and the opposition are highly unintelligent and slow, and on top of that, the races were mostly short and so, did not involve any key strategy decision making, which is a big part of the immersion of being a driver coach/manager. But for me, GT5 was the biggest step in the right direction they took with the mode.

The carbon copy B-Spec races of GT5 highlighted the bigger issue with the GT formula and how it doesn't really work for things that try to imitate the appeal of real life racing (not to say I didn't/don't love the tried and true formula). A progression based B-Spec with a team of drivers, needs Championships/class racing, with other teams, multi-car teams, multiple races and of longer distances, too, for it to be fully realized. GT Sport and its assortment of formal, class based racing has hopefully drawn us closer to this potential ideal than ever.

I think it's a conversation that should be had, because B-Spec has massive potential and was both convenient, for when you wanted to take the load off endurance races, and fun in its own way, for when you wanted to be your own mini team principal. I don't think it's fair to call it a waste of time, or something to be removed altogether if you don't like it, but I can't tell others what to think.

I think B-Spec is a must, but overhauled.

I got a PS3 again and been replaying GT5 and 6, and this goes for GT Sport too, it's annoying how ridiculous it is to have to grind forever for those ultra expensive cars. There should be a way to make exponential amounts of money, in the endgame. A team mode, similar to GRID's.

Say you hire a driver, he gets to participate in races with you, now you already are earning more. And you can send him out to do a race on his own too. You wouldn't even need to watch, it could have a system for simulating a race in a much more simplistic way, just considering the driver skills, the car's specs and the track layout. It would not be immediate, so you wouldn't just spam races, but if you want, you can go do a race of your own during this time, a race, time attack, whatever it is. But if you do nothing, then you would have to wait a bit.

And, this is an opportunity for exponential gains. You can hire more drivers, send then to different events at the same time, eventually as their skills increase, and you purchase better cars, you can send them to higher level races, which gives more money.

With this system, by the end you should be earning like up to a million from this system each "turn". It should take time to get there, but this is the idea, we're talking endgame earnings. You still would take some time to purchase the very expensive cars, but it would feel less demanding from your time and skills, as you could be enjoying a time attack in your favorite car and track to pass the time. You still would take a lot of time if you want ALL of the ultra expensive cars, but then again, now you're asking a lot.

And there could be other opportunities to drive those vehicles aswell, even if in those cases, you wouldn't enjoy them freely, you would be in a specific circuit and have an objective.

I looked forward to B-Spec Seasonal Events in GT5 as much as anything else in the game. Maybe for GT7 B-Spec could be included but not as anything that would count against completing the game. I understand it’s not for everyone, but there are some who enjoy it and some who because of disabilities can’t drive for themselves. B-Spec saved GT for me. I was new to the series and didn’t want to be focused for hours at a time to a game. It allows people to get into a game without having to focus all of their attention like driving does.

Never saw any point in B-Spec and never found it amusing in any way!
Loose it and bring back actual endurance racing like there was in GT5!
24 minutes of Le Mans??? a joke!!!

So... for all those that love the management side, I applaud you, and, here is my "B" spec idea.
Have a race series where the management is given/gets to pick real live humans to race their 4+hour events.
This game covers every time zone on the planet, in real time...
I cannot perform a 24hr race myself, but, if managed to team up with other drivers to do my part at scheduled time of day... I'd be in.
You could manage real live people, and have folks sign in on reserve and say, good to go, and swap folks out.
So, find someone to race the 12hrs it takes me to put in a days work, and, after that I've got 4hrs to contribute before bedtime.

Edit to add...
Ummm, there would need be a course marshal as well... penalty system and all... so there's that.
And...
Likely no manager wants to donate 24hrs straight, so, needs a management team... then same for the course marshal(s)...

More...
Then there would need to be a ranking system where drivers were given ratings based on pace/pace-over-endurance... and tomfoolery.

Last edited:
and, sine real humans are driving, give the manager the ability to adjust differential and sway bars to manage tire wear/handling based on driving styles... and fuel consumption thing... to aide managing laps...
Say a 30-45 minute overlap on player involvement lets him swap driver a little early/late...

OK, I'm done.

Back