Back to GT5 from Shift 2 things I learned

  • Thread starter Thread starter MartinDeShade
  • 143 comments
  • 20,422 views
Messages
48
Messages
MartinDeShade
Messages
MartinDeShade
Well after buying and trying to love Shift 2, I am back to GT5. I just can't put up with the aggressive AI and the faster the cars get less realistic they become. I don't see either of those things ever changing.

However they did do 3 things very right that I think GT5 could fairly easily be implemented. First, recording your best time for each event could easily be implemented in GT5, and would add a lot of fun to the game especially if it shares times with your friends. Secondly, by matching your Performance number for each race you play. That is you enter in a early event with a 500pp car then all your competitors will be 500pp with the same tires as you. Its a simple change that will add a lot to the game. Lastly, having 3 difficulties levels so that the AI could drive like they do now at Easy, on Hard have them drive like the do on the FGT championship and have SRT disabled while on Hard.

What I will miss most from Shift 2 though is the tracks. There is just so many real world tracks on it with many deritives. Ie not only do they have Monza, but they also have Monza Jr. Also 2 different versions of Donington, 3 different versions of Glendale, etc.

I absolutely hated the driving in Shift 2, but man was the tracks great(other than their Ring which was a smooth watered down track). I also liked that if you ever seriously lose it while racing, you might as well restart because you will never make it back to the front.
 
Well after buying and trying to love Shift 2, I am back to GT5. I just can't put up with the aggressive AI and the faster the cars get less realistic they become. I don't see either of those things ever changing.

However they did do 3 things very right that I think GT5 could fairly easily be implemented. First, recording your best time for each event could easily be implemented in GT5, and would add a lot of fun to the game especially if it shares times with your friends. Secondly, by matching your Performance number for each race you play. That is you enter in a early event with a 500pp car then all your competitors will be 500pp with the same tires as you. Its a simple change that will add a lot to the game. Lastly, having 3 difficulties levels so that the AI could drive like they do now at Easy, on Hard have them drive like the do on the FGT championship and have SRT disabled while on Hard.

What I will miss most from Shift 2 though is the tracks. There is just so many real world tracks on it with many deritives. Ie not only do they have Monza, but they also have Monza Jr. Also 2 different versions of Donington, 3 different versions of Glendale, etc.

I absolutely hated the driving in Shift 2, but man was the tracks great(other than their Ring which was a smooth watered down track). I also liked that if you ever seriously lose it while racing, you might as well restart because you will never make it back to the front.


I would love that, as I like racing offline more.
 
I've also gone back to GT5 after giving Shift 2 what I consider to be a fair shake. There's a ton of potential there and the first patch will be make-or-break for me.
 
I love tracks from Shift.
C'mon if GT5 is meant to be realistic why do they give me made up tracks.

I hate cape ring.
as much as I hate fast cars in Shift.
I drive only M3 E30.

I miss that car too in GT5
 
The undeniable thing is that GT5 is BORING compared to Shift2, they encourage you to feel what it's actually like to RACE (magic word here) not to DRIVE. They might give you the same idea but that's what a dictionary is for?
 
Last edited:
If GT5 implemented such a feature of PP matching they would have to increase the speed at which the AI can race, otherwise i'd never get a decent challenge. Personally i found the Shift 2 system to work decently but the AI was still generally too slow for me and unless i had accidents i would pull out quite a large lead on them. For me GT5 is altogether better than Shift 2, the driving model is much better and there are no input lag issues with GT5, the quality of the game seems much less rushed in GT5.

Magik300 - There are plenty of made up tracks in Shift 2, so that doesnt make much sense. Shift 2 has a better real world track list but the quality of the most important one (in my opinion), that being Nordschleife is better in GT5.


I enjoy GT5 more, simply because the driving model is much better, Shift 2 racing experience is nothing like real racing it is like racing in a hollywood movie, over dramatised, and the Shift 2 driving model is just a bit meh. Plenty of heated discussion about this in the Shift 2 forum.


I get the impression the Shift 2 fan likes crashing into things and stuff blowing up, fancy effects and "cool" stuff. Where as the GT5 fan gets their enjoyment from the actual driving of the cars.
 
- Number of Cars, not matter that it have too many skylines.
- A lot better physics.
- Drifting acting as it should be, plus with a strong drifting online community.

Nuff said... GT5 is a game for years, Shift 2 is a game for weeks.
 
-.

Nuff said... GT5 is a game for years, Shift 2 is a game for weeks.

But your electricity doesn't last that long.....
facepalm.gif
 
Last edited:
The undeniable thing is that GT5 is BORING compared to Shift2, they encourage you to feel what it's actually like to RACE (magic word here) not to DRIVE. They might give you the same idea but that's what a dictionary is for?

I disagree with this, in fact I find it deniable. The driving model is GT5 is so many times more fun than Shift 2. And to be honest my time now is spent racing online with great racers and it is a lot of fun!
 
I disagree with this, in fact I find it deniable. The driving model is GT5 is so many times more fun than Shift 2. And to be honest my time now is spent racing online with great racers and it is a lot of fun!

Who says you can't do that in Shift?
The autolog feature also creates a more organised way of online matchmaking.
 
Who says you can't do that in Shift?
The autolog feature also creates a more organised way of online matchmaking.

Yeah maybe so if you can find people online... I have a full friends list of good drivers so am rarely without people to race on GT5.

Also Shift 2 is nowhere near as fun to drive.
 
Yeah maybe so if you can find people online... I have a full friends list of good drivers so am rarely without people to race on GT5.

Also Shift 2 is nowhere near as fun to drive.

Well considering that you put it in a opinionated context, I cannot comment directly. However it is clear that GT5 and Shift 2 have gone down different paths to make the driving experience "fun"
 
Well considering that you put it in a opinionated context, I cannot comment directly. However it is clear that GT5 and Shift 2 have gone down different paths to make the driving experience "fun"

You talk about opinionated context after saying it was undeniable? Hmmm.

I do agree that they have gone down different paths. One is about the driving, has always been about the driving. The other about the experience of the driver, with the various cockpit effects and all. I personally don't like the AI of either.

I guess what I should say is that, for me, GT5 is the more fun game.
 
I learned that its really easy to flip a lotus elise.....apparently.
 
I really believe GT5 has the potential of great AI already. If you raced a non broken in FGT in the FGT championship(or if the AI had the same hp as you), you will witness some very fine clean races. In Shift 2, the only thing they have going is the AI is a dirty driver that will ram you off the road. Heck in 1 in 8 races one of the AIs will miss a curve and crash their car, so they aren't driving great so much that they are so aggressive they are dirty.

Plus the driving physics are so bad it is frustrating to drive the fast supercars.
 
Im currently enjoying both games. 👍
 
I enjoy GT5 more, simply because the driving model is much better, Shift 2 racing experience is nothing like real racing it is like racing in a hollywood movie, over dramatised, and the Shift 2 driving model is just a bit meh. Plenty of heated discussion about this in the Shift 2 forum.

I haven't played Shift 2 myself, but I've seen the trailers and also looked at several gameplay videos on Youtube. I can't help but get the feeling that Shift 2 is like a driving game made by Michael Bay. From looking at the way the cars behaved, I was also reminded of earlier titles such as Underground and Most Wanted. Doesn't seem to be very different from the old games at all.

NFS was probably the best franchise for street racing games, and since they stopped making them, no one has stepped up to carry the torch. They could easily go back to that and dominate. This arcade-sim thing doesn't seem to be working for them.
 
Many Shift 2 fans are of the opinion that the game is a highly accurate racing simulator that accurately reproduces racing just like in real life.

I get the feeling that many of them (no offense meant here) are the typical Need For Speed fan, who has little or no experience in

A. Driving a car
B. Racing in any form of motorsport
C. Watching any form of motorsport


A lot of people seem to like the Shift games and Shift 2, but it wasnt for me. I cruised through the game with the odd ridiculously over dramatic crash, but generally i stayed at the front of the pack and plodded along.

You drive a massive ammount of different tracks, rarely drive 1 track long enough to really learn it but the physics are forgiving enough that you can salvage mistakes in the last moment and push out fast laps with little practice. The ingame time trial challenges are very easy and often you will find yourself getting the gold time on your first lap on a track you have never driven.

That was my experience with the game anyway. Its a hollywood racing game for the mass market.
 
The undeniable thing is that GT5 is BORING compared to Shift2,...

How can your personal and subjective opinion become an "undeniable thing"?
 
Many Shift 2 fans are of the opinion that the game is a highly accurate racing simulator that accurately reproduces racing just like in real life.

I get the feeling that many of them (no offense meant here) are the typical Need For Speed fan, who has little or no experience in

A. Driving a car
B. Racing in any form of motorsport
C. Watching any form of motorsport


A lot of people seem to like the Shift games and Shift 2, but it wasnt for me. I cruised through the game with the odd ridiculously over dramatic crash, but generally i stayed at the front of the pack and plodded along.

You drive a massive ammount of different tracks, rarely drive 1 track long enough to really learn it but the physics are forgiving enough that you can salvage mistakes in the last moment and push out fast laps with little practice. The ingame time trial challenges are very easy and often you will find yourself getting the gold time on your first lap on a track you have never driven.

That was my experience with the game anyway. Its a hollywood racing game for the mass market.

A counter point to that:
While I won't say that either game (GT5 or Shift 2) "accurately reproduces racing just like in real life", I think Shift gives the impression of accurately reproducing racing.

GT5 does drive better, but real driving is louder and dirtier than GT. I feel like I'm driving a model car on a model track. In shift I feel like I'm driving a (very poorly set-up) real car on a real track that actually get's driven on. Combine that with the number of real tracks in each game, and the car lists in each game and I get a more "playing with toys" feel from GT compared to Shift. That is, in Shift I'm driving a GT race car on an actual track, or a completely reworked, widebody track toy on my local circuit, and in GT5 I'm more often on a fantasy track in a highly tuned but stock looking car. I don't get the "race feel".

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, even though I know it's less realistic, Shift 2 feels more real. For what it's worth (not much) I do have a license, watch racing as often as possible, I auto-x my GTI and really dislike typical NFS games.
 
I just can't put up with the aggressive AI and the faster the cars get less realistic they become.
First, recording your best time for each event could easily be implemented in GT5, and would add a lot of fun to the game especially if it shares times with your friends. Secondly, by matching your Performance number for each race you play. That is you enter in a early event with a 500pp car then all your competitors will be 500pp with the same tires as you. Its a simple change that will add a lot to the game. Lastly, having 3 difficulties levels so that the AI could drive like they do now at Easy, on Hard have them drive like the do on the FGT championship and have SRT disabled while on Hard.
I absolutely hated the driving in Shift 2

I agree with you on these points. I believe a lot could be solved if there was a difficulty selection. GT5 as it sits now would be the easy setting. Take it from there.

I couldn't put up with the game any longer and traded it off BTW.

The undeniable thing is that GT5 is BORING compared to Shift2

I disagree 100%. Some of the most fun I have had is hot lapping around GT5's tracks. I also love creating track day's in GT5 and running around the courses online with your friends. In my book, that experience is unmatched on the consoles.

Bigbazz
I get the impression the Shift 2 fan likes crashing into things and stuff blowing up, fancy effects and "cool" stuff. Where as the GT5 fan gets their enjoyment from the actual driving of the cars.

That's excellent point.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering for guys who said gt5 is an easy game do u all turn off all assist n use steering wheel? I find the game is challenging enough n very addictive when I try race clean to get gold in every race n using equivalent Hp car, not highly over powered ai car. I play since nov almost every weekend now just reach expert class n I haven't go into dirt track or drifting. Hence to me the gameplay n physics is everything and I love re race event with different car just to feel the difference in physic. I doubt shift2 can hook me up this way.
 
That's excellent point.




Not in all cases, but could be true for some, who knows. I myself am 34 and enjoy both GT5 and Shift 2. I do prefer the driving/handling in GT5, but Im also able to appreciate and enjoy the racing experience in Shift 2. I use a wheel, and with the proper settings and some tuning, I've been able to get my cars to handle somewhat similar to the way they do in GT5.

I also don't enjoy just crashing and blowing things up. I've had zero issues with the AI, unless I myself drive too aggressive, then they will hit me back. For me, I prefer the AI in S2U over the slow AI in GT5. The real fun in GT5 is racing online though, cause that's about the only place to get a real challenge out of a race. Trying to fill up a lobby with clean, like minded racers isn't always an easy task though.

It doesn't always have to be a war between 2 games. I still play both games, and will continue to do so for a while. GT5 is much easier to pick up and play (only assist I use is ABS 1), and S2U takes a lot of effort to get the cars to handle just right. IMO the time I've spent tweaking wheel settings and tuning cars, has made the game worth playing though.
 
A counter point to that:
While I won't say that either game (GT5 or Shift 2) "accurately reproduces racing just like in real life", I think Shift gives the impression of accurately reproducing racing.

GT5 does drive better, but real driving is louder and dirtier than GT. I feel like I'm driving a model car on a model track. In shift I feel like I'm driving a (very poorly set-up) real car on a real track that actually get's driven on. Combine that with the number of real tracks in each game, and the car lists in each game and I get a more "playing with toys" feel from GT compared to Shift. That is, in Shift I'm driving a GT race car on an actual track, or a completely reworked, widebody track toy on my local circuit, and in GT5 I'm more often on a fantasy track in a highly tuned but stock looking car. I don't get the "race feel".

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, even though I know it's less realistic, Shift 2 feels more real. For what it's worth (not much) I do have a license, watch racing as often as possible, I auto-x my GTI and really dislike typical NFS games.

Really well put. Couldn't have said it better.

GT is too squeaky clean really, however I'll be playing it long after I'm done Shift though.
 
Last edited:
Just to add I feel if one truly love cars and love to read their history. Take the game enjoyment slowly and test different car physics I think gt5 can last me a year of weekend fun. If u just aim to have fun and reach level 40 in shortest time then the game becomes grinding boring game. Last night at last I learn to unlock top gear test track which I always thought impossible. Gosh I raise my hand and yell out loud till my wife rush in check what happen damn funny!
 
Hahaha I've also come back from Shift2. I was so looking forward to that game too. Don't get me wrong, it has it's positives. The track list and car lists are great. The sounds are great. The AI is fun to race with. The track looks used (and I love the marble buildup!). However as someone else stated when you get to the faster cars they are just too weird to control. The physics in this game are terrible and feels like you're steering a yacht. I hope they patch it to fix that. If they do I'll go right back and beat the game. Until then I will keep racing online in GT5 and F1 2010.
 
Back