Background Music

  • Thread starter Thread starter tennyis
  • 47 comments
  • 3,954 views
Well i figured out something: the custom bgm will work if asmentioned you go to the gallerya and remove the ingame tracks.

Then, what will happen is this. The custom tracks will start to play.

The menu tracks will play and change if:
1- you load a track in career mode,
2- when in the pre-race menu.

If the track you were in when you go to race (start to) that same track will start to play again from the beginning, when you get back to the pre race menu.

The race menu will kick in :
1-when the race starts. The little hang at start is the unit switching folders.

Once again, the track that will play when you cross the cinish line is the one who play starting next race

I tried exactly that. I hope swg enjoyed his shoe feast by the way.^^

Well, It works slightly better now but still not as expected. Once I even got an error from the PS3 (not ingame error) that there wasn't any music to play.
 
I tried exactly that. I hope swg enjoyed his shoe feast by the way.^^

Well, It works slightly better now but still not as expected. Once I even got an error from the PS3 (not ingame error) that there wasn't any music to play.

Glad to be of service. there is a few exception in race where theres is no music, that is because the switch didn't work and it falls back tothe default folder, which is empty because we removed the tracks.
 
What I do is run the PS3's optical audio output through my PC's sound hardware and then just mix in music from the PC. The only hitch is the PS3 outputs at 48Khz so you'll most likely need to resample. I don't know whether this is possible with just onboard sound these days but if you're adventurous and have a desktop PC near it might be worth a shot.

or if you can get your hands on one of those cheesy DJ-style analog stereo mixers there's no reason you couldn't say, run sound out of the PS3 via the analog a/v cable you probably tossed in a drawer when you first hooked up the PS3 and then plug whatever audio source you like into the other end and then pipe the whole hot mess into a stereo receiver.
 
What I do is run the PS3's optical audio output through my PC's sound hardware and then just mix in music from the PC. The only hitch is the PS3 outputs at 48Khz so you'll most likely need to resample. I don't know whether this is possible with just onboard sound these days but if you're adventurous and have a desktop PC near it might be worth a shot.

or if you can get your hands on one of those cheesy DJ-style analog stereo mixers there's no reason you couldn't say, run sound out of the PS3 via the analog a/v cable you probably tossed in a drawer when you first hooked up the PS3 and then plug whatever audio source you like into the other end and run the whole hot mess into a stereo receiver.


your proposition implies that we forget HDMI as an output, am I wrong?
 
I tried exactly that. I hope swg enjoyed his shoe feast by the way.^^

Well, It works slightly better now but still not as expected. Once I even got an error from the PS3 (not ingame error) that there wasn't any music to play.

I did indeed, needed a little salt though. :) I also found the tracks in gallery and removed them. The only change was that now I "ussually" get no music at all when it would otherwise play game tracks. Occassionally it'll play game music anyway. Very nearly if not 100% of the time, in career races, it wont play my music till I've restarted the race exactly 3 times. Hope they get around to a fix, not game breaking but annoying.
 
your proposition implies that we forget HDMI as an output, am I wrong?

You can still use HDMI just for video output but as far as I know the vile HDCP encryption includes the HDMI audio stream which would make it quite difficult to pull off these kinds of shenanigans. I'm by no means an expert on HDMI audio though (my amplifier is from 1988) so I could be wrong.
 
You can still use HDMI just for video output but as far as I know the vile HDCP encryption includes the HDMI audio stream which would make it quite difficult to pull off these kinds of shenanigans. I'm by no means an expert on HDMI audio though (my amplifier is from 1988) so I could be wrong.

The way HDMI goes, the feed has to go though the sound system first then travel to the TV after, no?
 
The way HDMI goes, the feed has to go though the sound system first then travel to the TV after, no?

Not sure if I'm following the suggestions here, but will point out that you can setup the ps3 to output through multiple connections ie have sound pass through hdmi and analog outs at the same time. Its the method I used to run 2 channel audio to a reciever that has a headphone jack as my tv and surround reciever doesnt. This way I can just turn my tv volume down and turn my secondary reciever on when I want to use the headphones with out having to swap cables or change ps3 system settings. One could theoretically use a mixer or pc to overlay personal music before sending it back to a reciever. If youre going to do that and are using hdmi for video you'll either want to run the ps3 hdmi straight to the tv then your seperate audio mix to the reciever or will need a seperate reciever. Unless of course you have a surround reciever that can output audio from multiple sources at the same time but I've never seen one. Make sense? Downside is that since you'll be using 2 channel analog you wont have surround sound. Not an issue with headphones of course.
 
swg
Not sure if I'm following the suggestions here, but will point out that you can setup the ps3 to output through multiple connections ie have sound pass through hdmi and analog outs at the same time. Its the method I used to run 2 channel audio to a reciever that has a headphone jack as my tv and surround reciever doesnt. This way I can just turn my tv volume down and turn my secondary reciever on when I want to use the headphones with out having to swap cables or change ps3 system settings. One could theoretically use a mixer or pc to overlay personal music before sending it back to a reciever. If youre going to do that and are using hdmi for video you'll either want to run the ps3 hdmi straight to the tv then your seperate audio mix to the reciever or will need a seperate reciever. Unless of course you have a surround reciever that can output audio from multiple sources at the same time but I've never seen one. Make sense? Downside is that since you'll be using 2 channel analog you wont have surround sound. Not an issue with headphones of course.


That clears up something. TBH, i don't have the sound system connected to the TV yet, wiaitin to get a home and a decent living room for that. so for sure i'l looking for HDMI ins for my audio receiver. then we'll see what can be done with that
 
The easiest thing would just be put a cd player (ancient I know) or mp3 player hooked up to speakers in front of your tv :) If I had a sound dock for my phone its probably what I'd do. In fact I think I may have some old pc speakers around here somewhere....
 
So relieved this is sorted in 1.02 :D Thank you PD...... thought it might be worth mentioning that through trial and error I found the shuffle mode DOESN'T work if you leave the play mode on "Repeat" = "Folder" ........ it must be changed to "Repeat" = "Track" .

Hope this helps others :)
 
So relieved this is sorted in 1.02 :D Thank you PD...... thought it might be worth mentioning that through trial and error I found the shuffle mode DOESN'T work if you leave the play mode on "Repeat" = "Folder" ........ it must be changed to "Repeat" = "Track" .

Hope this helps others :)

And what is the difference between folder and repeat track? I'd think it would just repeat the same track over and over. I'm gonna assume that's not the case since you're probably not a loony.
 
And what is the difference between folder and repeat track? I'd think it would just repeat the same track over and over. I'm gonna assume that's not the case since you're probably not a loony.
LOL....appreciate you giving me the benefit of doubt there. But yeah....it goes against all logic but I almost gave up figuring it out :odd:
 
LOL....appreciate you giving me the benefit of doubt there. But yeah....it goes against all logic but I almost gave up figuring it out :odd:

You sir may have saved me from pulling out my hair and sending PD an email with more expletives than a rated R movie.

I'll try this when I get home. Thanks.
 
Update: - The shuffle mode works fine as I previously said but in race mode if your race is longer than the duration of your BGM track it will go back and repeat it over again....I assume the menu BGM may do the same but I switch around a lot on that and the demo kicks in if I leave it on.

Will try it with Repeat = Off when I get back on the game later today ;)
 
So can I turn off the BGM completely for all races, and if so, how? I've looked everywhere.
 
So can I turn off the BGM completely for all races, and if so, how? I've looked everywhere.

Just press start and go to the options icon, and turn down the race BGM volume.
 
Back