Backwards Compatible PlayStation 3 - Should Sony Restart Production?

• Thread starter MSTER232
  • 57 comments

Should Sony restore backwards compatibility to the PS3 system?

• Yes they should!

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • No, they shouldn't.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Sony are starting to roll out PS2 games through the PSN store, this is the main reason they won't bring back backwards compatibility. Far better for sony when you have to buy the game twice.

And much worse for us when we have to buy the game twice when we might have them as physical discs already. But Sony has to have their money, might as well just give it to them 👎 .

Plus, the PS2 games that are on the PSN store aren't really my kind of games anyway.

I'm lucky that I have a still working (*knock on wood*) 60gig backwards compatible PS3. I play PS2 stuff all the time too (SotC, GoW, and various other acronyms). Love it!
As for if they should start making them again... sure why not? The PS2 is only the best video game system of all time.

I've seen memory card adaptors for those with compatible PS3s. The only reason I'd want backwards compatibility would be for the PS2 games that you could play online, like ToCA.
Just the thought of an HD ToCA 3 remake :drool:

I'd prefer that they have it backwards compatible for all PS2 games but that's just me.

Just as a note, I believe that all PS3 systems are backwards compatible for PSX (Original Playstation) games so that Sony technically can say the PS3 is backwards compatible, but I only have 1 disc for the PSX :crazy: . It probably doesn't cost that much to make a emulator chip for PSX because it is very outdated. But now I ask you for your opinion; do you think Sony should start making backwards compatible PS3 systems again?

Actually PS1 games are software emulated. That's the reason why they would work. I'm a owner of a 60GB PS3(with a 320GB HDD) and after three years I replaced the thermal paste and never had any problems with YLOD. The simple problem is that the thermal paste is turning into a chalky material after 2-3 years of use and can't move that heat. When I changed it in mine I noticed that the amount of heat in my PS3 dropped as soon as I replaced the thermal paste. Better to prevent it than to try to fix it!

And, no, I'm not going to sell my PS3. Anyways the best way is to buy a fully compatible fat PS3 is to get a 60GB PS3 or an 80GB PS3. Though I recommend to try it first thing and then replacing the old thermal paste.

I think Sony should start making the PS1 again, and Nintendo should start making the N64 again, and Sega should start making the Saturn again, and Microsoft should stop making games consoles!

Wouldn't make sense to start making them again.
Although I would love another blast of GT4, which I still have a mint condition copy of, plus near-mint condition copy of the guide book that I bought on release day.

Although I would love another blast of GT4, which I still have a mint condition copy of, plus near-mint condition copy of the guide book that I bought on release day.

Lucky. My GT4 got beat to hell so now it doesn't work. I get that little red loading sign that never loads the game.

Yeah but no PS2 so it's just sitting in a dark drawer (kept away from sunlight!).
Of all the games I've played in the last 24 years or so, GT4 was played more than any other, and by quite some distance too. And it's still the only game I have ever truly 'completed' 100% until there was nothing left I could do.

I think Sony should start making the PS1 again, and Nintendo should start making the N64 again, and Sega should start making the Saturn again, and Microsoft should stop making games consoles!
You sir have just won the Internet :bowdown: . Although the PS1 was released before I was born :indiff: .
That's good to know that you look after your games 👍 . My copy of GT4 isn't mint, but it only has two minor scratches on in, hardly noticeable.
Yeah but no PS2 so it's just sitting in a dark drawer (kept away from sunlight!).
Of all the games I've played in the last 24 years or so, GT4 was played more than any other, and by quite some distance too. And it's still the only game I have ever truly 'completed' 100% until there was nothing left I could do.
Why would you need to keep your PS2 away from sunlight? Has gaming consoles developed allergies to the sun over the years? That would be very scary :scared: ... but funny at the same time.

Why would you need to keep your PS2 away from sunlight? Has gaming consoles developed allergies to the sun over the years? That would be very scary :scared: ... but funny at the same time.

He said he has no PS2 and his copy of GT4 is kept in a box.

:dopey:

The GT4 game and Guide Book are kept away from sunlight so they don't fade/bleach over time.
I don't actually have the console, which is why the aforementioned are safely hidden away. Perhaps one day I'll grab a PS2 and memory card for another bash at it.
There's no other reason in my mind to own a PS2. I don't think any other game ever utilised the full capabilities of the console quite like GT4.

Yes, I bought my 60 and I have been rocking Battlefront 2 at least once a week. There are two many good ps2 games not to be backwards compatable. To keep the heat down I have my PS3 lifted slightly on small wood shims and a window fan blowing across it ( in the same direction as the PS3 fans blow). I get airflow above and below and haven't had an issue, even after days of ME3 online.

The GT4 game and Guide Book are kept away from sunlight so they don't fade/bleach over time.
I don't actually have the console, which is why the aforementioned are safely hidden away. Perhaps one day I'll grab a PS2 and memory card for another bash at it.
There's no other reason in my mind to own a PS2. I don't think any other game ever utilised the full capabilities of the console quite like GT4.

So true, sometimes when I play GT4 I can't believe I'm playing a game that came out on the PS2. The physics could have used a little more work but other then that GT4 is perfect :sly: .

Yes, I bought my 60 and I have been rocking Battlefront 2 at least once a week. There are two many good ps2 games not to be backwards compatable. To keep the heat down I have my PS3 lifted slightly on small wood shims and a window fan blowing across it ( in the same direction as the PS3 fans blow). I get airflow above and below and haven't had an issue, even after days of ME3 online.

It's not just the GT series that are really good PS2 games that deserve backwards compatibility. So many other games out there that are good too like NFS Underground 2.

Lucky you 👎 .

Same here , iv replaced the thermal paste! But to be honest BC ps3's have no XMB while playing a PS2 game , the game looks stretched on a screen, I should know. My first PS3 game was jak 3 ;P
I had a ps2 for one year * 2007 and then by early 2008 I bought a 60 gig PS3 for 200$ * a steal!* and by then I had just beat jak 2, and picked up jak 3 and beat it on my ps3!

I am lucky enough to have several PS2s. One of them is a boxed unused slim with a brand new copy of GT4, and a card containing 700 cars, 70 mil, and 3 each of the four stealths. This is all archived in a separate box - for some future generation of my family.

No backward compatibility needed. However - it's a good feature - think of the way Apple retained Classic even after developing OSX. I can play the older games by just shifting OSs.

As for whether this discussion is topical here - have you ever seen a shiny red Ducati parked on the main drag of Sleepy Hollow? You bet it'll get some attention. ;)

The cost of doing R/C again would be far more than the money it would bring in through new system sales.

._. Is it rare that I have one?

EDIT: It has 4 USB ports too.

It is very rare.... and 4 USB ports?! Holy 🤬 ! I could charge my PS3 controller, use a USB keyboard and use my steering wheel all at the same time and still have one port left over. And considering I use my DS3 as a handbrake when drifting, I need 4 USB ports on my PS3!

The cost of doing R/C again would be far more than the money it would bring in through new system sales.

That is so because they keep releasing a new PS3 model like every 3 months or something :mad: .

I don't know about that, San Andreas was definitely up there in terms of what the PS2 could handle, it even had problems because the content on the disc was just so big.

Xenosaga was another.

From what I've read around the web, the PS2 has the power to play games in 1280x1024 resolution, however they didn't have the jacks on the back of the system to send out an HD signal. Had they done that, the PS2 probably would have had better graphical games. The PS2 has more power than most people realize, and I think that's part of the reason it's still around besides cheapness and wide availablity of games.

I voted yes, as the consumer side of me wants the best bang for the buck.

But Sony already has an answer for this: Remastered HD ps2 games. The God of War Collection is one of these.

From what I've read around the web, the PS2 has the power to play games in 1280x1024 resolution, however they didn't have the jacks on the back of the system to send out an HD signal. Had they done that, the PS2 probably would have had better graphical games. The PS2 has more power than most people realize, and I think that's part of the reason it's still around besides cheapness and wide availablity of games.

Not if you were to get the Multi-out Component cables I believe(I think they were out at the time). Regular Component cables would let a 1080P video connection go to the TV.

Not if you were to get the Multi-out Component cables I believe(I think they were out at the time). Regular Component cables would let a 1080P video connection go to the TV.

They still wouldn't yield the same quality that an HDMI cable would. I have multi-out component cables for my PS2. It's not much better or different than a mildy upscaled standard A/V cable. Still a bit of a blur and color mashing.

Back