Baja Edge of Control HD

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 22 comments
I have this for XB360 and it certainly is a gem, one of those occasional legitimate simulators that end up mostly forgotten as a bargain-bin cult classic. As far as open-world offroad sandboxes go, this one was an extra rarity in allowing two player split-screen exploration (not sure if that made it into the remaster). I'm glad it's getting another chance and that you've now had the opportunity to try it. 👍

I have this for XB360 and it certainly is a gem, one of those occasional legitimate simulators that end up mostly forgotten as a bargain-bin cult classic. As far as open-world offroad sandboxes go, this one was an extra rarity in allowing two player split-screen exploration (not sure if that made it into the remaster). I'm glad it's getting another chance and that you've now had the opportunity to try it. 👍
They went beyond two player split screen. It's now four player split screen.

They went beyond two player split screen. It's now four player split screen.
Looking it up, the original actually offered up to four players too, but it's all the more impressive to have a new PS4/XBone game with that feature. :)

Woah this is out? I've been waiting on it. Guess I need to buy it when I get home.

Woah this is out? I've been waiting on it. Guess I need to buy it when I get home.
Be aware its OK with a controller, but as it currently stands its unplayable with a wheel.

When I say unplayable I mean that 100%. With my T300 20 degrees rotation translates to about 1 degree in game, oh and you can't change the view with a wheel as the change camera is mapped to the share button and you can't change button mapping. Oh and the wheel overides the controller so you can't use that to change the view either.

I did find a workaround, which requires you to unplug your wheel, start a race, change view, pause it, switch off the controller, plug the wheel in, log-in, and then you can race. However the rotation issue then makes it utter rubbish and you have to do it again for every race as the camera resets every time.

Its great fun with a controller however.

Good to know, I don't have a wheel that works with my PC (actually I think the only wheel I have works with just the PS2 or maybe PS3). I do use an Xbox controller for the PC though so it should be all good. I can't wait to get home to play it, doing the 4+ hour races sounds cool too.

Nice review I have this for PS3. I remember playing with a G27 and the force feedback being nonexistent. It was a fun game and I liked the long races. Going to pick it up for the PS4 I hope they patch the wheel support though.

I got it on steam but got a refund after 30 minutes. The game has a separate program to manage ALL the graphics settings and key bindings and when I try load it it just crashes. So I'm left with the game looking like turd since I can't change the setting, you may be thinking "well manually edit the .ini file" well the program that I can't open makes them in the first place. People who did get the program running say it crashes when you change button mapping on a wheel and it resets all setting to default when you close it anyway.

Does the console version have a slider for difficulty? All the pc version has is easy and hard and well easy is to easy but I was finding hard a bit too hard lol.

I got it on steam but got a refund after 30 minutes. The game has a separate program to manage ALL the graphics settings and key bindings and when I try load it it just crashes. So I'm left with the game looking like turd since I can't change the setting, you may be thinking "well manually edit the .ini file" well the program that I can't open makes them in the first place. People who did get the program running say it crashes when you change button mapping on a wheel and it resets all setting to default when you close it anyway.

Does the console version have a slider for difficulty? All the pc version has is easy and hard and well easy is to easy but I was finding hard a bit too hard lol.
In free race you get to set the AI difficulty (via slider I think - would need to double check) and select arcade or sim handing.

Annoyingly in career you only get to select either easy (stupid AI and arcade handling) or hard (better AI but sim handling), as a result one is stupid easy and the other is stupid hard.

I'm just charging through the career as quickly as I can to unlock as much as I can in free ride.

In free race you get to set the AI difficulty (via slider I think - would need to double check) and select arcade or sim handing.

Annoyingly in career you only get to select either easy (stupid AI and arcade handling) or hard (better AI but sim handling), as a result one is stupid easy and the other is stupid hard.

I'm just charging through the career as quickly as I can to unlock as much as I can in free ride.
Ah right thanks I was sure I saw someone on YouTube using a difficulty slider and now I know why. It does seem strange to have it in one mode and not the other I wonder if its by design or just sloppy HD remaster work.

Ah right thanks I was sure I saw someone on YouTube using a difficulty slider and now I know why. It does seem strange to have it in one mode and not the other I wonder if its by design or just sloppy HD remaster work.
I have a feeling that it's from the original, as none of the setting option seem to have changed at all.

I'm having good fun with this game all over again. The graphics are much improved as you would expect, but nothing else has been changed as far as I can see - I think the handling may be a bit easier.

I picked up Baja Edge of Control & Fl4t Out Total Insanity for £11 each in the Sale with all the info on Gravel and Onrush arcade racers recently I fancied some Off Road arcade action. Both great fun on the DS4, so for the money good value for the Arcade Races. Graphics are not the best but not bad and have been sharpened up etc. I think I will enjoy both as they are, and so far I have had some great 'Fun' Arcade racing pounding across beaches and forests :gtpflag:(It makes a nice change from GT Sport & F1 2017)

Update:

Well I have been on Baja the most and it is very addictive and some great racing in 'Bumper cam'. Some of the graphics are actually pretty good especially along the beaches and the sky box is amazing. I would say the new Gravel game will not be far out from this game. Some of the P2P rally and Hill runs are very tough battles and I also like the particles and dust. Handling is well weighted on DS4. Circuit tracks are tight and have lots of different routes (this one had 8 ways of getting round the circuit) I'm glad I brought these games and this Baja was off my radar with all the other games out but I am glad I picked it up now. :cheers:

Baja_ Edge of Control HD_20180130182018.jpg

I've been tossing up whether to get the original on the PS3 (which works with my DFGT) or the HD remaster for my PS4 Pro (which I don't have a wheel for).

Do you think the updated visuals and frame rate in the HD version make it a better experience than playing the original on a wheel?

I've been tossing up whether to get the original on the PS3 (which works with my DFGT) or the HD remaster for my PS4 Pro (which I don't have a wheel for).

Do you think the updated visuals and frame rate in the HD version make it a better experience than playing the original on a wheel?
I think it looks decent on PS4. Works great with DS4. Cant answer which one is best to buy for you if it means controller on PS4 and wheel on PS3. If I had the same choice I'd go with PS4 and controller. Bear in mind I didn't see how it looked on PS3.

Back