Ballast & Drifting

I also got results with an EK9 which imply that the 'word diagram' method isn't right. Basically just an exercise in wheelspin differences based on ballast location...

Either way though, is really critical to know? Just test the ballast set to 200 and -50, then +50, and use that to observe the way ballast affects the car's behaviour. I suppose it would require slight suspension alterations based upon where the weight is placed, but that level of sophistication doesn't quite mesh with the nature of ballast. If you want to make a sophisticated setup with mathematically perfect suspension, gear ratios, and the like, you shouldn't be adding weight to the car.

In my opinion, ballast is nearly as cheap as ASM oversteer: Both allow a very driftable car instantly, without any effort. That said, I prefer ballast for the ability to maintain speed through sweepers. And either way, I have no problem whatsoever with being cheap in something that isn't a competion and has no prize.

This isn't targeted at anyone specific, nor is it intended to offend a vague audience. It's just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

It makes less of a difference than if you have ballast alotted, but it does make a difference. Especially if you're trying for something specific like a drag launch.

I also got results with an EK9 which imply that the 'word diagram' method isn't right. Basically just an exercise in wheelspin differences based on ballast location...

Either way though, is really critical to know? Just test the ballast set to 200 and -50, then +50, and use that to observe the way ballast affects the car's behaviour. I suppose it would require slight suspension alterations based upon where the weight is placed, but that level of sophistication doesn't quite mesh with the nature of ballast. If you want to make a sophisticated setup with mathematically perfect suspension, gear ratios, and the like, you shouldn't be adding weight to the car.

In my opinion, ballast is nearly as cheap as ASM oversteer: Both allow a very driftable car instantly, without any effort. That said, I prefer ballast for the ability to maintain speed through sweepers. And either way, I have no problem whatsoever with being cheap in something that isn't a competion and has no prize.

This isn't targeted at anyone specific, nor is it intended to offend a vague audience. It's just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

that's cool and thanks. đź‘Ť

Hi everyone :)

I'm new here and to be honest i'm a bit on the tipsy side and can't be bother reading all the posts. So, sorry for that :)

Anyway, I love drifting on GT4. I've heard or read all the tips on drifting and i would just like to say that it didn't help me. Ballast? Whats a ballast?

When i drift, i simply get standard tyres (road usually, but sometimes i gotta use one of the others like economy or luxury), have about 450 - 550 bhp, adjust my transmition to 10 or 12 depending on the car (i love the Supra best, that thing drifts) soften my suspension slightly, and use a 1.5 thingy. You'll know what i mean :). Then it's just a case of throwing the thing about. At first i would nearly be breaking the control pad, but now i can elegantly slide the car round the track. Easy does it! The rest is basically just how good you are on the game. I'm not saying i'm great or anything, but when you figure it out, the same applies to most cars and most tracks.

I'm sitting my driving test next week, so naturally i've stayed away from GT4. I don't want my examiner to pass me through fear :)

Depends on what it was. If it was pointless it may have been deleted by a moderator. Or, since you were tipsy, you may have navigated away without actually hitting the submit button. I do that when I'm tired, let alone drunk.

Hi everyone :)

I'm new here and to be honest i'm a bit on the tipsy side and can't be bother reading all the posts. So, sorry for that :)

I'm a bit on the stoned side myself. But i'm not as think as you stoned i am.

Anyway, I love drifting on GT4. I've heard or read all the tips on drifting and i would just like to say that it didn't help me. Ballast? Whats a ballast?

What's ballast? Go in your settings menu. All the way on the right should be a way to shift weight in your car from front to rear and rear to front. YOu can also add weight. It doesnt' cost any money, you can use ballast and experiement at any time.

When i drift, i simply get standard tyres (road usually, but sometimes i gotta use one of the others like economy or luxury), have about 450 - 550 bhp, adjust my transmition to 10 or 12 depending on the car (i love the Supra best, that thing drifts) soften my suspension slightly, and use a 1.5 thingy. You'll know what i mean :). Then it's just a case of throwing the thing about. At first i would nearly be breaking the control pad, but now i can elegantly slide the car round the track. Easy does it! The rest is basically just how good you are on the game. I'm not saying i'm great or anything, but when you figure it out, the same applies to most cars and most tracks.

I'm sitting my driving test next week, so naturally i've stayed away from GT4. I don't want my examiner to pass me through fear :)

You're getting your actual real-life driver's permit? (i think that's what you said) Yeah...i'd stay away from GT for awhile. :lol:

****, 3 days to go before my driving test, I'm still tipsy :) AND i been on GT4 drifting into EVERYTHING :) I hope i don't confuse reality with GT4 on the big day :) That would get me into LOTS of trouble!

I also don't get this Japanese thing going on. I tried to watch the Sky News headlines back to front and it made no sense at all :)

****, 3 days to go before my driving test, I'm still tipsy :) AND i been on GT4 drifting into EVERYTHING :) I hope i don't confuse reality with GT4 on the big day :) That would get me into LOTS of trouble!

ahhh you Scots with your drink! Fancy a drink of Iron Brew wouldja? Perhaps that'll end your tipsyness.

I also don't get this Japanese thing going on. I tried to watch the Sky News headlines back to front and it made no sense at all :)

I have no idea what you're talking about here mate. :confused:

ahhh you Scots with your drink! Fancy a drink of Iron Brew wouldja? Perhaps that'll end your tipsyness.

I have no idea what you're talking about here mate. :confused:

Yeah mate, I'm a scot that likes my drink :) I got to give it up now though, because i passed my driving test today :) Driving is more impotant to me than drink and they don't mix. So it's Irn Bru all the way from this point on, well from tomorrow on, coz i'm celebrating :)

As for the Japanese thing, well i was 'tipsy' and made sense to me at the time :)

Back