Bathurst 2002 is go!

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 20 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Well, the annual Bathurst 1000 Australian V8 supercar race has started!!

Man, got this and the Japanese GP on today - ahhh, the wonders of TV...

Originally posted by LoudMusic
V8 Supercars? Didn't there used to be a race that the RX-7 performed in?

~LoudMusic

Yeah - that was the Bathurst 12 Hour they ran there over Easter in the early 90's.

Well, Skaifey won!!!

Lowndes went out with a plastic bag flying around the top got caught in the grille. :( Skaife barely made it to the end though. he almost retired with the same problem as lowndes...

Second: Perkins i think? well, it was someone from castrol and they fought off bright to take it out

Third: Bright. good race for him and his partner...

vat_man and everyone else who watched, what were your highlights??

I would've liked to have seen Brock do a bit better but I suppose 25 laps down isnt that bad for a retired racer and a kiwi :dodo: :)

brocky wasnt there to win - he was there for a good time. he was quite happy to just fart around the track 25 laps behind the rest of the field and atleast he finished the race (unlike most of the big money factory teams). it was good to see the fans come out in their thousands for the great race.

for me, bathurst is one of the hardest races in the world. half the field doesnt finish and the other half finish with panels missing.

bathurst is the race.

I had to laugh - when they were interviewing him and told him they'd cop a black flag for the fuel spill, he's said 'oh well, that's life - you've got to expect a penalty when you spill fuel in pit lane', in complete contrast to Murph's Mt Etna impersonation earlier in the day.

i reckon murph had the right to blow up. a 5 minute penalty is pretty severe. i think the best part of the day was when he was sitting in his car and you heard him scream '****ING ****!'.

priceless TV :lol:

Originally posted by   
i reckon murph had the right to blow up. a 5 minute penalty is pretty severe. i think the best part of the day was when he was sitting in his car and you heard him scream '****ING ****!'.

priceless TV :lol:

I thought that was a fair penalty - you can't drive off with the fuel hose still attached. That could have been incredibly bad, I mean did you see how much fuel was spilt?!?

Murph's anger was directed at the crew chief, not the officials - and rightly so, where the hell was the pit board guy telling him not to go?!?

yeah i did and i also saw the second hose hit one of the pit crew in the ribs. things like that happen in races like bathurst - you need every lap to be tight and a penalty like that just kills any chances you had.

Originally posted by   
yeah i did and i also saw the second hose hit one of the pit crew in the ribs. things like that happen in races like bathurst - you need every lap to be tight and a penalty like that just kills any chances you had.

Well, I thought the incident was severe enough to warrant their race being damaged - I thought they'd be disqualified.

It was one decision they did get right - unlike the pace car shamozzle early in the day.

early in the day, you mean the whole day :lol:

it seemed that everytime someone got a decent lead, the pace car would come out and diminish it.

Originally posted by   
early in the day, you mean the whole day :lol:

it seemed that everytime someone got a decent lead, the pace car would come out and diminish it.

Very true - and I must admit I hate the pace car at Bathurst. They go on about the close finishes in the V8 Supercar era, but what do you expect when the moment someone gets a 30 second lead there's a crash and the pace car comes out and bunches the field up.

Don't know how you'd get around it, though - if cars crash across the top of the hill, there's no way to get them off the track quickly.

HOLDEN 1,2,3,4, AND 5

Bathust was pretty good, good to see ford didnt win these year. I would've like brocky to win but his just getting to old. What i found funny was when they zoomed the camera on a guy painting the sencery.

It was interesting that Lowndes' car cooked its motor pretty quickly after picking the bag up (mind you, they probably made a mistake coming in to get it out, but that was going to get them sooner or later), and the HRT car was able to run for as long as it with severe blockage of the front air dam - nice testimony to the strength of the HRT motors.

Originally posted by vat_man
It was interesting that Lowndes' car cooked its motor pretty quickly after picking the bag up (mind you, they probably made a mistake coming in to get it out, but that was going to get them sooner or later), and the HRT car was able to run for as long as it with severe blockage of the front air dam - nice testimony to the strength of the HRT motors.

well HRT being HRT means that they have a bigger budget and can afford better parts etc...but hey, its a holden donk - it will last forever :lol:

Originally posted by The Porko
From what happened to lowndes, i guess fords have **** cooling system.

holden 5litre motors are the best motors for burnouts in that they can take high revs and high temps and last forever.

Back