Bathurst Time Attack

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 31 comments
Australia
Australia
http://www.motoring.com.au/bathurst-street-car-lap-record-attack-105502/
The three streetcar sessions comprise two 15-minute hit-outs on Friday and another 10 minutes to be scheduled on either Friday or Saturday.

The timed sessions will be under race control conditions for road registerable cars driven by FIA gold or platinum ranked drivers.

“This will take a couple of years to get some traction and there seems to be a mixture of response to it,” said 12-hour event director John Casey.

“Some will sit back and some will jump in.

“If we can grow it over time as being something interesting for the fans, then happy days,” Casey stated.

Shane van Gisbergen holds the current lap record at the track set last year in a McLaren 650S GT3 at a spectacular 2:01.5670.

AMG is already hoping to use the race meeting to showcase the 430kW GT R and Schneider, the 2013 race winner, is expected to be one of AMG’s star attendees at Mount Panorama.

The former DTM champ and F1 driver showed off the capability of the road going GT S around Mount Panorama during the Aussie car’s launch last year. In that video he set a time of 2:24.03. With substantially more power, more grip from a wider rear track and active aerodynamics, the GT R should be quicker…

“We are definitely taking part,” confirmed Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific product communications boss Jerry Stamoulis.

http://www.motoring.com.au/bathurst-street-car-lap-record-attack-105502/

Shane van Gisbergen holds the current lap record at the track set last year in a McLaren 650S GT3 at a spectacular 2:01.5670.

AMG is already hoping to use the race meeting to showcase the 430kW GT R and Schneider, the 2013 race winner, is expected to be one of AMG’s star attendees at Mount Panorama.

The former DTM champ and F1 driver showed off the capability of the road going GT S around Mount Panorama during the Aussie car’s launch last year. In that video he set a time of 2:24.03. With substantially more power, more grip from a wider rear track and active aerodynamics, the GT R should be quicker…

“We are definitely taking part,” confirmed Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific product communications boss Jerry Stamoulis.
Brilliant idea & should be a hoot to watch.
I just hope no one hangs it off a wall going for a time. That could get very expensive & claim the whole idea if the organisers get nervous.
Have a red hot go but, bring it back in one piece guys.

Well damn :eek:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/02/03/schneider-sets-bathurst-production-car-record/
Driving the AMG GT R, Schneider clocked a rapid 2:16.5s in the second of two officially timed manufacturer demo sessions as part of the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

It obliterated the previous record set by Schneider of 2:24.03s set in 2015 in a Mercedes AMG GT S.

“I knew it would be a fast car, but it really feels at home here at Mount Panorama,” Schneider said.

Also during the manufacturer demonstration session, a Mercedes-AMG C 63 S sedan piloted by AMG factory driver Maro Engel posted a lap of 2:29.7s, which is believed to be the fastest lap ever for a production car sedan around the challenging Mount Panorama circuit.
I'll wait to see qualy times tomorrow, as it's quicker than a couple MARC V8s.

Well, it was quicker then the LaFerrari that Vilander was running in the same session.

A shame there was only 3 cars on track but it was cool to see some road cars having a fang!

Would have been interesting to see the road supercars pregression, from then to today. F40, 959, Yellowbird, McLaren F1, ZR1, NSX-R, any Lamborghini.

Here's hoping this becomes a thing.

Would have been interesting to see the road supercars pregression, from then to today. F40, 959, Yellowbird, McLaren F1, ZR1, NSX-R, any Lamborghini.

Here's hoping this becomes a thing.
I love that idea. Unfortunately, most owners wouldn't :indiff:

It'd require unbelievable insurance cover & very brave owners :scared:

217f7af66745e88b10d7999df5a9872b186e9694.jpg

I saw this ute on display, at the Newcastle 500. Had no idea they'd take it to the mountain and post a time.

Volkswagen ran its apprentice-built Amarok Ultimate at Mt Panorama in conjunction with the Bathurst 12 Hour, where it posted a 2min 57sec lap time on Saturday in the hands of racer Renato Loberto.
V6 Amarok

Last edited:
Should’ve happened a few weeks back, with a roll cage equipped. Would’ve been good enough to start just within the top 20 for the 6 Hour.

Should’ve happened a few weeks back, with a roll cage equipped. Would’ve been good enough to start just within the top 20 for the 6 Hour.
Maybe same type of tyre(and less weight- it's a porker for a hot hatch) would have made it quicker.

You ain't right! :lol:

I had a '13 Megane Trophy+. Not one problem during ownership. 👍 Though, I don't know how these new ones go. ;)
I'm sure they're quite the reliable little hot hatch but put Dan behind the wheel & with his luck............

It'd probably go into limp mode into Murray's when he was on a record lap.

🤬 :banghead:

I'm sure they're quite the reliable little hot hatch but put Dan behind the wheel & with his luck............

It'd probably go into limp mode into Murray's when he was on a record lap.

🤬 :banghead:
Ahhh, I see. Truuuuuue. Damn.

Back