Batman: The Dark Knight

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 164 comments
Duke
But either way, the moment I see him on screen, he totally fails to convince me that he's anyone but Jack Nicholson, and I set my mental "How long till he snaps?" timer.
True, now that I think of it. Shining was different for me though.

Duke
But either way, the moment I see him on screen, he totally fails to convince me that he's anyone but Jack Nicholson, and I set my mental "How long till he snaps?" timer.

Well, I would say that of recent movies. But when he was younger he was much more diverse. But at the same time, His character is very intriging to me, so I enjoy it. A Few Good Men, As Good as it Gets, Wolf and Hoffa were different roles. But he was a similiar character in all of those.

a6m5
True, now that I think of it. Shining was different for me though.
See, I read the book before I ever saw the movie, and I thought casting Nicholson in The Shining just ruined it. From the moment that you saw it was Nicholson as the main guy, isolated in that big hotel, you knew it was only a matter of time until he totally lost it. He was like a grenade rolling around in the bottom of the truck, waiting for the pin to fall out. It was so freaking obvious he was going to blow.

Whereas it should have been a much more insidious descent into madness, with a sudden, surprising drop over the edge right at the end. The main character should have been played by somebody totally innocuous like John Ritter. The story would have been rendered 10x better.

Did you ever see What Lies Beneath? The whole gripping power of that movie is that Harrison Ford plays his usual affable, slightly distracted nice guy... right up to the end of the movie, and then wham! Holy moly!

What were we talking about again?

Told you guys. Jack Nicholson has Jennifer Lopez syndrome. All they can play is characters whom they are like in real life.

Jack as the Joker was allright for 1989, but by today's standards for a darker and more realistic Batman, it wouldn't fly. Thankfully the fans have once again gotten hold of the franchise, and with the success of Frank Miller's Sin City, they know they can bring in more of the serious and dark undertones from GN's such as Dark Knight and Dark Knight Returns.

---

Not to completely throw everything off-topic: But given the successes of comic book movies as of late, how outrageous do you think a Justice League of America or (live action) Avengers movie seems?

Well, we have Captain America and Iron Man in production. The Avengers wouldn't be too outrageous. They just released an animated movie of 'em.

The problem is that now Marvel provides 100% of the funding to their movies. Before, they wouldn't pay a dime to fund the movies and made a few million if the movie was a success, while only losing a couple hundred thousand at the very worst if the movie totally bombed. Now, they can make many many millions off of a blockbuster hit, but will also be vulnerable to a wallet harpooning should any new movies totally fail.

It's not as safe as it used to be, rolling titles into theaters on a whim and etc. If Marvel decides to make a film, they need to absolutely make sure that it will be a box-office hit.

As for DC, I really don't know. I doubt they would ever make a JLA movie. Still, they would have to introduce all of the characters in their own movies beforehand. If even one of those movies tanked, I doubt they would return for the League, and, if they are all hits, it would make more sense to produce a sequel then to create a mashup.

Owen Wilson is another character that, in every movie, he is the character. Instead of acting as a person, he simply acts as Owen Wilson.

I have a slight inclining that Matthew McConaughey might make a good Joker. Seriously. Sahara shows "adventure some" character. Reign of Fire shows "serious lunacy". How to Lose a guy in 10 days shows he can be suave.

I'm not 100% on him being the joker, but I think he'd do a step better than Heath.

Except that isn't McConaughey already the Son Of Green Goblin in the Spidey series? Can't mix Marvel and DC, now... like matter and antimatter!

Just have to say that Natalie Portman is NOT a plank. As demonstrated above:

254630.jpg

QED

[/:dunce:]

Duke, have you seen Léon (Le professionel) yet?

Carl.
Duke, have you seen Léon (Le professionel) yet?
No, admiittedly. But I have seen her in several other movies besides the dreadful Episodes I-III stuff, and have found her performances breathtakingly mediocre.

[edit] And pictures do nothing for me: A) I don't find her attractive at all, and B) beauty is as beauty acts.

Can you name a film she was better than okay in where she wasn't a kid acting as a kid, in Leon she was a kid with a big crush, but still a kid.

I know what you think about her, but perhaps that movie would ease the pain a bit... while it's not a breathtaking performance, she is somehow perfect for her role (which isn't related to carpentry in any way). A bit like Scarlett Johanson in Lost in Translation, minus the attractiveness, for obvious reasons.

The pic was only for sillyness purposes... I don't even like that one.

Edit - @L4S: I think she wasn't bad (again, nothing exceptional) in Closer and Cold Mountain.

[/offtopic]

Duke
Except that isn't McConaughey already the Son Of Green Goblin in the Spidey series? Can't mix Marvel and DC, now... like matter and antimatter!
No, that would be James Franco.

Matthew McConaughey

For what it is worth, Duke and I have always agreed and disagreed on Ms. Portman. I find her intoxicatingly beautiful and a mediocre (at best) actor.

Carl.
Edit - @L4S: I think she wasn't bad (again, nothing exceptional) in Closer and Cold Mountain.
Ahh, two films I haven't seen. So I can't comment on her in those.

Duke
Whereas it should have been a much more insidious descent into madness, with a sudden, surprising drop over the edge right at the end. The main character should have been played by somebody totally innocuous like John Ritter. The story would have been rendered 10x better.

Did you ever see What Lies Beneath? The whole gripping power of that movie is that Harrison Ford plays his usual affable, slightly distracted nice guy... right up to the end of the movie, and then wham! Holy moly!

What were we talking about again?
Yeah, you are right. That would've been way better. I think the "Secret Window" was kind of like that? With Johnny Depp?

Der Alta
I have a slight inclining that Matthew McConaughey might make a good Joker. Seriously. Sahara shows "adventure some" character. Reign of Fire shows "serious lunacy". How to Lose a guy in 10 days shows he can be suave.

I'm not 100% on him being the joker, but I think he'd do a step better than Heath.
I'd go with that. McConaughey would be one of the top choices for me. 👍

live4speed
Ahh, two films I haven't seen. So I can't comment on her in those.
Closer was really good(and only movie I thought Julia Roberts was hot in). Definitely check that one out!

Portman wasn't too bad in Garden State, argueably one of my favorite movies made in the past five or so years.

---

I miss the Justice League TV show. They don't air the reruns too often anymore, but I think part of the problem was that the story was getting WAY too confusing to some extent.

Batman will always be my favorite though, TV or movie. The only one to ever come close was indeed Spider-Man, X-Men in a close third.

They show JLA all the time if you have Boomerang or whatever the Cartoon Network sub-station is.

The problem is that each episode 90 (or 45. I forget.) minutes long.

That is the kind of creepy we need for a Batman movie. People are serious deranged and screwed up in this world, and there isn't any reason why it should be campy at all...

...Oh, and I hear Scarecrow will be back in Dark Knight...

I still wonder how the JLA movie is going to work out with Batman being increasingly dark and gritty. Lets hope they do something similar with Superman and Wonderwoman as well.

That is the kind of creepy we need for a Batman movie. People are serious deranged and screwed up in this world, and there isn't any reason why it should be campy at all...

...Oh, and I hear Scarecrow will be back in Dark Knight...

I still wonder how the JLA movie is going to work out with Batman being increasingly dark and gritty. Lets hope they do something similar with Superman and Wonderwoman as well.

Batman was always dark and gritty; far more than superman and Wonderwoman, anyway. The Joker and the Gotham underground make Metropolis villains look like girl scouts.

Batman was always dark and gritty; far more than superman and Wonderwoman, anyway. The Joker and the Gotham underground make Metropolis villains look like girl scouts.

Everything post-Batman Returns, IMO, was too campy to really be Batman stories... But thats just me. I like that we see Batman as the dark, pissed-off character that he should be. I just have to wonder how Warner Brothers will screw it up when they do the JLA movie sometime in the near-future.

Personally, I've always hated Superman and Wonderwoman because they were just too 'cute' and 'too good' at everything. Batman is kinda like the everyman of the superhero world, using his wit and his inner strengths to overcome his adversaries. Personally speaking, the only other superhero that has ever come close to my love for Batman has been Spider-Man, but even then, I've always liked Batman better... And presumably always will...

OFFICIAL TRAILER DEBUT

Um, yeah... This one is going to be awesome! It just feels like a total nod to the fans, so many of the Batman elements "clicking" like they're supposed to. Ledger looks awesome as The Joker, and Bale appears to be firing on all cylinders as Batman once again. Although, I don't really understand how this love interest storyline will fit in again...

In a couple of those scenes it actually looks like ledger is trying to play Nicholson's joker.

Omnis
Told you guys. Jack Nicholson has Jennifer Lopez syndrome. All they can play is characters whom they are like in real life.

Wouldn't that be Lopez who has Nicholson syndrome?

Duke
But I have seen her in several other movies besides the dreadful Episodes I-III stuff, and have found her performances breathtakingly mediocre

Granted, I've never seen her in anything where I thought she was spectacular. But I give her a pass on Star Wars because even Liam and Ewen were planks in those movies. She was pretty good in V though.

I understand where your coming from, but Heath looked in his element. I have to say, I was impressed and I'm looking forward to this.

At least to me, Ledger seems to be playing to the more "hardcore" Joker from the more recent comics as compared to the more campy version as seen in the West-era show, the cartoon, and the more recent non-Bale films.

At the very least, he seems utterly deranged and absolutely insane. There was a read on AICN a few weeks ago of the first five minutes of the film, and without giving anything away, it was classic Joker material from the comics. Absolutely bat-crazy stuff that you could only expect from him.

It looks a lot better than I thought it was going to. Very stylish, as far as I can tell from the trailer. 👍

Back