F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

I've never really liked the Sky coverage, although that could just be my bias since I don't pay for it and have to watch streams half the season. I don't know where they got Lazenby from but he has never seemed really interested in F1 to me. He just seems like your cookie cutter presenter who stirs up topics as he's instructed to and would be lost without his ear piece. Mind you it's not as if Suzy Perry is any better but she is someone I know, so it doesn't seem so bad. The ex-F1 drivers they have are of course all very well knowledged but none of them are exactly know for great personality. Herbert is pretty much a plain digestive biscuit. At least with Eddie Jordan he's entertaining, even if at least half of what he says and does is cringeworthy.

The Hamilton and British bias is surely the biggest problem though, yes he is the world champion but he doesn't need to be the focus every broadcast. It's Formula 1, as a whole, not the Lewis Hamilton and his adventures in Formula 1 show.

Lazenby isn't too bad, he has improved since he started on Sky.

Having said that Jake Humphrey was quite sharp when he was doing the BBC F1, I thought Sky would have got him instead.

Last edited:
Bernie has refused the BBC's plea to cut the cost of their F1 contract. (Telegraph)

I thought Simon Lazenby wasn't that good when he first started presenting F1 but I think he's slowly got more interested in it and he's better than he was.

I don't know where they got Lazenby from but he has never seemed really interested in F1 to me. He just seems like your cookie cutter presenter who stirs up topics as he's instructed to and would be lost without his ear piece. Mind you it's not as if Suzy Perry is any better but she is someone I know, so it doesn't seem so bad. The ex-F1 drivers they have are of course all very well knowledged but none of them are exactly know for great personality. Herbert is pretty much a plain digestive biscuit. At least with Eddie Jordan he's entertaining, even if at least half of what he says and does is cringeworthy.

Lazenby was the one element of Sky's coverage i didn't like - don't know how he got a job as a lead presenter on a prominant TV channel. I have a massive dislike for Ted Kravitz too - he just comes across as an arrogant knob to me. But, he is knowledgeable and his 'notes' were always insightful, i just didn't like his character.

Jake Humphrey was very likeable and Suzy Perry does a good job too. But she was good in the Moto GP days, so it's no suprise that her character 'works' as the BBC's lead.

I think Lee McKenzie is largely underused.

I might be one of the few people who just doesn't like Suzi Perry. I wish the Beeb had someone else presenting. Lee MacKenzie would make a better lead presenter.

You're not the only one. Lee McKenzie should have got the job, I think. She knows the sport, she seems to have a good rapport with the drivers and team crews and, most importantly, she can walk, read the iPad, listen to her earpiece and talk all at the same time without looking like a stoned Fraggle.

DK
Bernie has refused the BBC's plea to cut the cost of their F1 contract. (Telegraph)
It's easy to say that he's doing it for the money, but he wasn't happy when the BBC brokered the deal to share with Sky. He tried to get the coverage moved to Channel 4, but there was nothing that could be done unless the BBC completely relinquished the broadcast rights first, which they refused to do. So for them to turn around and ask for a cut in fees would probably go down like a tonne of bricks.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with F1 being on 'normal' TV, but there's no way in hell I'll pay a penny more than the license fee to watch it. My interest in F1 has waned seriously over the last few years, I think I watched about 3 races this year, if it disappears totally from 'normal' TV I'll pretty much give up on it completely.

I'd pay to see Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara presenting F1.
Only if they do it as a rerun of Canada 2015.
Jeff: Oh my goodness! What's happened Kammy?
Kamara: (sleeping)
Jeff: We're having some technical issues. Are you there Kammy?
Kamara: I don't know Jeff.

Only if they do it as a rerun of Canada 2015.
Jeff: Oh my goodness! What's happened Kammy?
Kamara: (sleeping)
Jeff: We're having some technical issues. Are you there Kammy?
Kamara: I don't know Jeff.

Jeff: A Williams is coming in the pits, is it to retire from the race Chris Kamara?
Chris: Retire from the race? I must have missed that Jeff. I thought it was a simple pit stop and he rejoined the track.

The Hamilton and British bias is surely the biggest problem though, yes he is the world champion but he doesn't need to be the focus every broadcast. It's Formula 1, as a whole, not the Lewis Hamilton and his adventures in Formula 1 show.

I'm watching mostly on swiss television and on bbc and actually they talk a lot about Hamilton on swiss tv too. He's the current world champion and one of the drivers with the biggest star entourage. He's a good subject for reporters.

Dont think it have anything to do with Hamilton beeing british but rather what he's achieving atm.

You're not the only one. Lee McKenzie should have got the job, I think. She knows the sport, she seems to have a good rapport with the drivers and team crews and, most importantly, she can walk, read the iPad, listen to her earpiece and talk all at the same time without looking like a stoned Fraggle.

She said at the time she didn't want it, she was happy in her current role. Shame, because I do agree she'd have done a great job.

Jeff: A Williams is coming in the pits, is it to retire from the race Chris Kamara?
Chris: Retire from the race? I must have missed that Jeff. I thought it was a simple pit stop and he rejoined the track.
*Kamara wearing sunglasses*
CK: Nice day in Northampton.
JS: Chris. It's raining. Has anything happened yet?
CK: Still better than normal. Few spins maybe.

Oh boy, I can't wait for an ad break five laps from the end.

DK
Oh boy, I can't wait for an ad break five laps from the end.

Hopefully since this time they would have a direct competitor in Sky who would be showing races uninterrupted they would almost be forced to do the same to keep viewers.

I mean they manage to show a 90 minute football match with only or two sets of ads at half time, I don't see why they need 5/6 breaks in F1. None would be preferable, one, two maximum I could live with. Any more, I'll be watching all races as a dodgy stream I guess.

Hopefully since this time they would have a direct competitor in Sky who would be showing races uninterrupted they would almost be forced to do the same to keep viewers.

I mean they manage to show a 90 minute football match with only or two sets of ads at half time, I don't see why they need 5/6 breaks in F1. None would be preferable, one, two maximum I could live with. Any more, I'll be watching all races as a dodgy stream I guess.
They do the same here for world football, but we have double the amount of ads during the races (13 ish).

The Telegraph are reporting that BBC are to dump their F1 coverage deal early and ITV are poised to buy the rights...

:(

vader.jpg

It hasn't worked for any other broadcaster, so why would it suddenly start to work now?

This was the original problem: people demanded live and uninterrupted coverage of the events in prime time and available for free, which simply isn't practical for a commercial network. You can't have it both ways.

When the latest BBC deal was announced, CBE was quoted as saying; for the races that were not live they could show the entire race if they wanted, it just had to be after a certain amount of time after the race had ended.

Best solution for ITV in my mind would be to not show anything live and broadcast the races in their entirety, when they want to place in a block of ads, effectively 'pause' the broadcast so when the block is over the race resumes where it was left.

Only issue with this is that the broadcast start to get very long and eat up a lot of programming time, which they would not want to do in prime time slots, so maybe;

ITV 1 = 90min prime time highlight package
ITV 4 = 210min silly o'clock full delayed broadcast

Also for future reference, 7 BTCC/F1 clashes;
March 20 - Australia

April 17 - China

April 16-17: Donington Park

April 2-3: Brands Hatch (Indy)

April 3 - Bahrain

May 1 - Sochi

May 7-8: Thruxton

May 15 - Spain

May 29 - Monaco

June 4-5: Oulton Park (Island)

June 12 - Canada

June 18-19: Croft

June 19 - Baku*

July 3 - Austria

July 10 - Britain

July 24 - Hungary

July 30-31: Snetterton

July 31 - Germany

August 13-14: Knockhill

August 27-28: Rockingham

August 28 - Belgium

September 4 - Italy

September 17-18: Silverstone

September 18 - Singapore

October 1-2: Brands Hatch (Grand Prix)

October 2 - Malaysia

October 9 - Japan

October 23 - USA

November 6 - Mexico

November 13 - Brazil

November 27 - Abu Dhabi

AJ
When the latest BBC deal was announced, CBE was quoted as saying; for the races that were not live they could show the entire race if they wanted, it just had to be after a certain amount of time after the race had ended.

Best solution for ITV in my mind would be to not show anything live and broadcast the races in their entirety, when they want to place in a block of ads, effectively 'pause' the broadcast so when the block is over the race resumes where it was left.

Only issue with this is that the broadcast start to get very long and eat up a lot of programming time, which they would not want to do in prime time slots, so maybe;

ITV 1 = 90min prime time highlight package
ITV 4 = 210min silly o'clock full delayed broadcast

Also for future reference, 7 BTCC/F1 clashes;
March 20 - Australia

April 17 - China

April 16-17: Donington Park

April 2-3: Brands Hatch (Indy)

April 3 - Bahrain

May 1 - Sochi

May 7-8: Thruxton

May 15 - Spain

May 29 - Monaco

June 4-5: Oulton Park (Island)

June 12 - Canada

June 18-19: Croft

June 19 - Baku*

July 3 - Austria

July 10 - Britain

July 24 - Hungary

July 30-31: Snetterton

July 31 - Germany

August 13-14: Knockhill

August 27-28: Rockingham

August 28 - Belgium

September 4 - Italy

September 17-18: Silverstone

September 18 - Singapore

October 1-2: Brands Hatch (Grand Prix)

October 2 - Malaysia

October 9 - Japan

October 23 - USA

November 6 - Mexico

November 13 - Brazil

November 27 - Abu Dhabi
Oh wow... Croft, Baku and Le Mans on the same day! :indiff:

I might be one of the few people who just doesn't like Suzi Perry. I wish the Beeb had someone else presenting. Lee MacKenzie would make a better lead presenter.

She said at the time she didn't want it, she was happy in her current role. Shame, because I do agree she'd have done a great job.

+1 For Lee Mackenzie, the only time she was lead presenter was for a race was in Japan quite a while ago and I remember she did a really good job. Plus she does the VT pieces and interviews pretty well. I do prefer her over Suzie because I think she's slightly more serious whereas Suzie is more casual like she's wondering around at a music festival!

The Telegraph are reporting that BBC are to dump their F1 coverage deal early and ITV are poised to buy the rights...

Ah, but look on the bright side... by not being tethered to the licence fee there is the potential for us to get even more coverage because ITV has more cash to burn. Back in the day when they last had the rights we got every race in full (with ad's though) which I think was a fair compromise. Plus they might breathe some new life into the current pre race format.

Staying with the BBC would be good but those Strictly Come Dancing dresses don't make themselves!

Latest Posts

Back