F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

Really, really annoyed by this :banghead::banghead:

Will probably have to pay £10.99 per race weekend on NOW TV to stream Sky F1.:grumpy:
Feels really strange that it will no longer be aired on BBC, I've only started watching F1 since 2010, so for me it has always been BBC.

The law states you need a license if you have "Television Receiving Equipment". That isn't the TV itself, but either the standard TV aerial, Sky, Virgin, FTA Sat Dish etc.

That's incorrect and probably based on quite old info. You need a TV licence if you use any equipment (including equipment that you use to receive online services) to watch TV programmes as they are broadcast.

Any older information and we'd be doing the "black and white dogs get a cheaper licence" joke. Admittedly a good one, in its day. :D

That's incorrect and probably based on quite old info. You need a TV licence if you use any equipment (including equipment that you use to receive online services) to watch TV programmes as they are broadcast.

Any older information and we'd be doing the "black and white dogs get a cheaper licence" joke. Admittedly a good one, in its day. :D
So I would have to pay the fee just to use these apps (although American tv channel apps would not be usable over there):
image.jpeg

Or are you talking about an Internet provider?

Speaking of TV, what is the cable subscription cost over there, I pay around $1200 a year (mainly to watch F1 and WEC races which are on higher tier channels)

Unless this is outdated info as well, you also need a license to install a TV receiver:

Section 263 of the Communications Act 2003 makes it an offence to install or use a television receiver to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being shown on television without a TV Licence.

So if I'm reading that right, technically you need one to actually get an arial/dish, even if you aren't going to use it to watch/record live TV. Although wouldn't it mean you would also need to get a license to set up an internet connection?

Really, really annoyed by this :banghead::banghead:

Will probably have to pay £10.99 per race weekend on NOW TV to stream Sky F1.:grumpy:
Feels really strange that it will no longer be aired on BBC, I've only started watching F1 since 2010, so for me it has always been BBC.

It's not going to be very different - Channel 4 are taking over the contract pretty much as is and will show 10 races live and without ad breaks, plus a full highlights package as well... in other words, it won't be any different to the last few years - just a different channel.

Jonathan "Problems" Legard? Please god no.

Have to admit one of my guilty pleasures was Jonathan Legard - he was so bad I found him absolutely hilarious :P When me and my brother watched together we thought he was one of the most entertaining parts of the coverage! No matter how many times he said "UP THE HILL, PROBLEMS THERE FOR VETTEL, BUT WHAT ABOUT JENSON BUTTON?!", we cracked up every time :lol:

Channel 4 have done better though in terms of crap sports presenting - when they showed the 2011 athletics world championships they gave the anchor job to Gadget Show presenter Ortis Deley, who was so rubbish they dumped him after 3 days, in what I consider to be a short but golden period in sports broadcasting:

I would love C4 forever if they got him back for F1 - would **** off die hard fans, and he'd be so entertaining I wouldn't care if the races were dull! :lol:

Last edited:
It's not going to be very different - Channel 4 are taking over the contract pretty much as is and will show 10 races live and without ad breaks, plus a full highlights package as well... in other words, it won't be any different to the last few years - just a different channel.
Let's hope so! Does that mean there will be ads in the races that aren't live???

Good the BBC did a terrible job on the F1. Just you watch the amount of F1 stuff on the sport website disappear, they only ever cover/promote things they have the rights to. As soon as they got NFL highlights it was splashed all over the BBC sport website. They hardly put MotoGP or WSB on the website now, even though GB had 2 world champions they barely made the top page. BBC's sports coverage is a joke its an aweful service

No, at that point the burden of proof is on the accuser (the licensing authority) that your installation is intended to watch live broadcasts.

How the BBC spent the licence fee in 2013/14

Monthly spend - £12.13 per household

Satellite

Satellite
Television: £8.00

Satellite
Other services and production costs: £0.73

Satellite
Radio: £2.30

Satellite
Licence fee collection and other costs: £0.49

Satellite
Online: £0.61

and yet all the revenue collected goes to the BBC? So for watching the live programmes I watch on other media the BBC benefit?

and yet all the revenue collected goes to the BBC? So for watching the live programmes I watch on other media the BBC benefit?

Yup, the whole £12.13 per month goes to the BBC regardless of whose broadcasts you watch as they're transmitted. The rights-and-wrongs of that are for discussion somewhere other than this thread, I think... but that's how it is.

Like TenEightyOne was saying the conditions for the TV license has been clarified recently. You can now own a normal TV just for your video game console as long as you don't watch or record live broadcasting. Before the law was any type of receiver in your home you must pay.

The politicians are putting pressure on the beeb each year so some big shake up in how the BBC are funded is due soon I reckon.

Regarding Channel 4 taking over, I'm fine with it, they won't show adverts during the race. Only concerns are the presenting but they'll have to improve if they want people to see the ads. The after race bit is usually interesting, ITV missed the driver talk before the podium, with the BBC they have continuous coverage.

I wouldn't even mind some ads during a safety car if that helps them out as I can see this ad free not lasting long.

Wonder what this means for some internationally that use the BBC. Do you have other sources? At least we won't have to suffer the rubbish bias accusations. Sure Sky, say whatever you want but the BBC bend over backwards covering non British drivers so get your own feed, try watching a Spanish feed or something.

I'd like Ben Edwards and David Coulthard doing the commentary on C4. Legard is too much and please no James Allen. Ben Edwards voice and tone have zero annoyance.

Channel 4 have done better though in terms of crap sports presenting - when they showed the 2011 athletics world championships they gave the anchor job to Gadget Show presenter Ortis Deley, who was so rubbish they dumped him after 3 days, in what I consider to be a short but golden period in sports broadcasting:

I would love C4 forever if they got him back for F1 - would **** off die hard fans, and he'd be so entertaining I wouldn't care if the races were dull! :lol:

That is absolute unintentional comedy gold! The look on Michael Johnson's face at times is priceless. Saying that, Rob Walker who you see briefly in that clip isn't much better, when he isn't shouting cliched introductions to the snooker he inexplicably does a spot of random roving reporting for the olympics. I remember I think it was Ben Ainslie, had just won gold, was clearly exhausted sitting in his boat and Walker clapped him on the back and shouted "Ben you are the OLYMPIC CHAMPION! HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!", a maniacal cackle that was mysteriously edited from the highlights later in the day.

The golden era of F1 commentary was in the mid 2000s with James Allen and Martin Brundle. Perfect combination of enthusiasm and expert analysis. Legard was terrible and though Edwards is ok, James Allen is miles better. Good commentary is really important to F1. I hope Channel 4 get it right and recruit James Allen. DC is no good either. No enthusiasm at all. Suzy Perry needs to be gone too. Useless.

I remember I think it was Ben Ainslie, had just won gold, was clearly exhausted sitting in his boat and Walker clapped him on the back and shouted "Ben you are the OLYMPIC CHAMPION! HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!", a maniacal cackle that was mysteriously edited from the highlights later in the day.

Haha I remember that moment too! If I recall Ben just said "yeah" and looked very annoyed - classic :lol:

The golden era of F1 commentary was in the mid 2000s with James Allen and Martin Brundle. Perfect combination of enthusiasm and expert analysis.

golden era
mid 2000s
James Allen

:eek: My eyes! Blasphemy! :eek:

Seriously though, for me Allen was insufferable - "enthusiastic" only in the senses of "shouting" and "trying to sound cool and important". He never achieved Legard levels of buffoonery though, so he wasn't funny, just annoying. It sounded like half his stuff was scripted - so much so that the excellent dotdotcomma (which I'm amazed still exists) constructed a James Allen Simulator, for me the only entertaining thing to come from his commentary.....

VVvaXBu.png

Also worth consulting the James Allen Phrase Book and Wisdom of James Allen pages, for any fellow masochists...... :D

Should also say that it's only his commentary I hated - he is a very good journalist, and I enjoy reading the material on his site. Just hope he stays as one!

Should also say that it's only his commentary I hated - he is a very good journalist, and I enjoy reading the material on his site.
The problem with live commentary is that you always have to be speaking - you can't have dead air. But in print journalism, you get the opportunity to think things through before you post it.

How the BBC spent the licence fee in 2013/14

Monthly spend - £12.13 per household

Satellite

Satellite
Television: £8.00

Satellite
Other services and production costs: £0.73

Satellite
Radio: £2.30

Satellite
Licence fee collection and other costs: £0.49

Satellite
Online: £0.61

£2.30 on Radio!! :banghead: Well they can get rid of all that for a start plus they have way too many stations. They could easily afford F1 if they reduced that budget.

Does anyone know of any foreign websites from which one can stream live F1 races? If there was I would happily watch it even if non English commentary.

Must be good and decent, with clear footage!!

Does anyone know of any foreign websites from which one can stream live F1 races? If there was I would happily watch it even if non English commentary.

Must be good and decent, with clear footage!!

@prisonermonkeys is correct, as far as I'm aware. If you were able to find a legal foreign-language stream you should remember that all the races are still being broadcast live in English on BBC 5. At times* I switch over to that.

*Always Kravitz times

Have to admit one of my guilty pleasures was Jonathan Legard - he was so bad I found him absolutely hilarious :P When me and my brother watched together we thought he was one of the most entertaining parts of the coverage! No matter how many times he said "UP THE HILL, PROBLEMS THERE FOR VETTEL, BUT WHAT ABOUT JENSON BUTTON?!", we cracked up every time :lol:

My god. Ortis just won the audition to be pit reporter. I imagine it.

"We are here with Pastor Maldanananardo, in the pit lane, where there are cars..."

Also Legard I didn't mind much. Ben Edwards in BTCC kinda was a reject of the James Allen school of SHOUTING.

Coulthards first words will be (say it in the accent)

"Haei. I'm Dayveed Coulfardd, an theiis is Channel For Formula Wan"

What's wrong with Coulthard? He's knowledgeable and friends with a lot of the drivers and team members. I'd take him over most of the Sky crew any day.
True true, I just feel that most of his knowledge is outdated and he doesn't fully know the ins and outs of this generation car (2014 onwards).

But then again, who does know except those that work with the cars.

My point has become invalid. :lol:

Back